[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to sound like a nostalgiafag or "le wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: Looney_tunes_careta.png (166 KB, 421x318) Image search: [Google]
Looney_tunes_careta.png
166 KB, 421x318
I'm going to sound like a nostalgiafag or "le wrong generation" person, but have you wondered why people under 15 don't know Looney Tunes that well?

Well, it's mostly because CN stopped showing it in 2005. But it seems that, as a whole, networks just don't give a shit about the classics anymore, since contemporary stuff is more profitable.

Back in the 90s and 2000-2004, and maybe parts of 2005-2007, kids were exposed to the classics through Toonheads, The Bob Clampett Show, Chuck jones show, Late night black and white, etc. None of those exist anymore, because the ratings wouldn't be good enough to justify them staying on the air.
>>
Everything you said is 100% true
>>
It's because of the DTV/HD switch that most programming from before 2005 disappeared from TV.
>>
>>78327805
Honestly the least nostalgiafag thing I've read in a while.
>>
Here's a hard dose of reality

Looney Tunes wasn't that good

Oh it was great animation for its time (though nothing special nowadays) and the musical score was gorgeous but the humor and writing was actually pretty crap.

It hasn't aged well.
>>
The Great Piggy Bank was pure gold
>>
>>78327861
>humor and writing was actually pretty crap.
This is 100% wrong

I still laugh at a ton of Looney Tunes shorts, especially Bugs and Daffy shorts, and I'm always getting more and more of the references now that I'm older.
>>
Nickelodeon also aired Looney Tunes, and Tiny Toons acted as a gateway series.
>>
>>78327861
Well no shit it hasn't aged that well, same reason why silent films haven't aged that welol because they come from different eras.

I'm middle aged and I still love the old cartoons , before they were censored to hell and back for TV. They just resonate better to older wiser peeps.

Same reason why I despise modern pc toons like SU and Andventure Time.

You hate em because you were born late 90's or some shit.
>>
>>78327861
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpOPyjmB8SI
>>
File: hobbes shrug.png (67 KB, 388x373) Image search: [Google]
hobbes shrug.png
67 KB, 388x373
It wasn't just Looney Tunes, but a ton of animation got taken off the air around the mid-2000's. Not just that, but reruns of older shows in general. Those reruns kind of kept a cultural chain going, making it possible for people across generations to recall, at the least, the title and premise of various TV shows and movies going back as far as the silent era. This made it so that when people mention, say, the shootout scene in Bonnie and Clyde, you know what it is too, regardless of the age gap that you might have.

It's kind of crazy that I remember things like early Felix the Cat and the Tracey Ullman Show airing on TV when I was a kid, but you have to look them up to find them nowadays. I imagine that in a few years references in earlier Simpsons, as an example, will go completely over a lot of peoples's heads. Most kids probably haven't even seen Steamboat Willy by this point.
>>
>>78327773
honestly senpai, just watch that shit on youtube. that's all kids watch. I had a little mexican kid bored at the office and i just youtubed some donald duck shit. Disney is way better than warner scrub shit.
>>
File: 1381676270614.jpg (134 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1381676270614.jpg
134 KB, 560x560
>>78328022
>old black and white movies haven't aged that well
I'm 19 and tune into TCM from time to time, and honestly? I feel like they've aged just fine, they're a little slow paced, but they're pretty charming. They can get really engaging when they're dramatic as well.
>>
>>78328299

I like that they're slow-paced. I'm getting pretty sick of the modern "cut the camera every 2 seconds to show a different angle" thing.
>>
Stop acting like Looney Tunes is some kind of cultural touchstone.

It isn't.

There are over 1000 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies. There's probably a similar number of Disney shorts, Harman-Isling, Schlesinger, and Fleischer theatrical animated shorts from the Golden Age.

About 5% of them are culturally significant.

People still watch those 5%.

But the other 95%? Some are good, some are not so good. They don't need to be remembered.
>>
the company turned the series from funny cartoons into a mangled media property. i bet most people didn't know why you would see back in action like i didn't when i was a kid.

the wild character-based drama was better than modern day features going into seizures to not be "boring."
>>
>>78328466
>>78327805
Funny how you guys suddenly (re)appear on /co/ and post in all these shit threads.
>>
>>78328277
>just watch it on youtube
Biggest reason why "classics" don't get much in ratings on paid television. Even Boomerang is transitioning into more current and original stuff.
>>
>>78328448
edgy
>>
Cartoon Network has tried on numerous occasions to re-air the classics. They do not get any ratings whatsoever. They aired them back when we were a kid because they did get decent ratings for the off-hour schedules.

It's not like the network has a civic responsibility to make sure kids grow up with the same nostalgia as their grandparents and that's what it would take to get them to push these cartoons which have largely passed out of the public consciousness.

Things change. Even things that had stayed the same for 70 years.
>>
>>78327808
Thread should have ended here.
>>
>>
>>78327861
Here's a hard dose of reality buddy, you're a retarded contrarian.

>(though nothing special nowadays)
Extreme sign that have no clue about what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1447284942146.png (517 KB, 750x656) Image search: [Google]
1447284942146.png
517 KB, 750x656
>>78328921
They don't get good reasons because CN doesn't give them decent times, and more importantly they haven't given kids reason to care about them.

It's a vicious cycle. You can't just spring some classic LT or reboot the franchise and expect kids to give a shit and give them ratings and buy merch, they need context. Not a single child would give a shit if Felix the Cat aired tomorrow because they don't know who that is or have any context for who they are.

Say what you will about Disney, but they know how to keep their characters alive. If Ducktales aired tomorrow, they may not know who Uncle Scrooge is but they'll know he's related to Donald just on appearances alone. It's telling when my 10 year old brother knows exactly who Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy are, but couldn't remember Daffy Duck's name, let alone recognize the rest of the LT cast

My solution? Force it. Kids don't like Looney Tunes eating their oh so precious TTG time? Tough shit, kids don't like vegetables or going to bed on time either. If LT wants to be relevant and stay that way, then they need to force their way into view.
>>
>>78328921
These are cartoons that were able to be enjoyed by every generation for over half a decade.

It was the fault of the corporate owners that in a -single decade- Looney Tunes' incredible brand recognition and reputation was damaged, probably irreparably.
>>
>>78330210
>*They don't get good ratings
>>
>>78330231
They don't show much of any pre-2005 content on the mainstream networks anymore. It's not just LT.
>>
I went into a toy store the other day to get a gift for Christmas, it didn't have a single Looney Tunes toy.

The shop teller said that many people were going into the story asking about that kind of thing, there SHOULD be stuff there, but WB completely fucks up even making toys for Looney Tunes.

It honestly feels like WB is sabotaging their own ip.
>>
>>78330210
Timeslots timeslots timeslots. A bad draw is a bad draw. They advertised them to hell at least one of the times that I remember, the kids just aren't interested. It's not like they had amazing timeslots in the 90s; I remember them being shown at 11 PM.

I wasn't given context and hand-holding by CN when I watched Looney Tunes. To me- to kids of my generation (our generation, perhaps, but I'm a bit old for 4chan)- they were "the classics" and I watched them because their reputation preceded them. And I continued watching because they lived up to their reputation. I went out of my way to watch them. Kids today just don't see them that way anymore. You can point the finger on what's to blame all you want, but it's a rather grandpa thing to do. Fuck, man, Academics don't even read the actual Classics anymore. I think the "problem" (if, indeed, it is a problem) is a little more fundamental than one cable network's inability to market old cartoons to kids.

And fuck Disney and their perpetual stranglehold branding. There's more of McDonalds than of Plato in that batch. Though maybe I'm a bit biased in this matter since I NEVER liked anything relating to the Disney core characters as a kid.
>>
>>78327773
I miss muh Popeyes.
>>
Makes you wonder, they do air in germany though, where they never aired a modern LT show (no duck dodgers, no Loonatics, no LTS)
>>
>>78327773
I discovered this a year or two ago. I teach Of Mice and Men and point out that Looney Tunes has a pile of "George and Lenny" type characters. After a while, I had hardly any students who recalled Looney Tunes beyond shit like Space Jam.
>>
>>78328921
they still do reair Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, or both when its not school break time. It wont be on for the next two weeks, but it'll be back after that. They tend to air a modern reboot of either or both shows along with it. looks like Wabbit, Baby Looney Tunes, and Tom & Jerry Show 2013, are airing along with it as of last week.
>>
>>78330299
They used to make a ton of plushies of the characters, right?
>>
Come on OP. You really think kids today are gonna get Merry Melodies shorts with parodies of 1940s movie stars?
>>
>>78333612
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or retarded
>>
Old cartoons are too racist and violent for the tumblr generation.
>>
>>78330445
They were showing then at 5 or 6 in the morning on cartoon network before the new bugs show, Wabbit I think
Not a good time slot but it's there
>>
File: 1432999105038.gif (2 MB, 350x264) Image search: [Google]
1432999105038.gif
2 MB, 350x264
You have to remember why and how Cartoon Network was created.
See in the early 90s there was this rich lunatic named Ted Turner. One night his man sprung up from his bed and proclaimed "I want TNT but with cartoons" and that's how CN was born.

It was essentially a convenient place where someone could tune in and see some form of cartoon 24/7. At this point there was no original programming because why bother when you could rerun Looney Tunes and Popeye all day?

Not until the mid 90s did original programming start popping up and the station started drifting more towards kids only.

Today's CN lineup has no room for classic shows according to CN's demographic now, assuming they still have rights to them. The station is still 24/7 but half of that air time is taken up by adult swim.
>>
>the 20th century is over
>the 20th century's cartoons are retired from circulation
Derp.
>>
>>78335185
>half of that air time
>half
Since when is 10 hours half?
>>
>>78328299
I'm 26 and I have no problem with black & white movies either, never have. I do have issues trying to watch silent films, but that's about it
>>
>>78333660
He's not being retarded. Most Looney Tunes shorts are parodies or references to what was 30-50 pop culture.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.