[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A common discussion here is the question of "What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: galaxy-tab-S.png (2 MB, 1912x1110) Image search: [Google]
galaxy-tab-S.png
2 MB, 1912x1110
A common discussion here is the question of "What's a good tablet for comics?". But what I rarely see answered is "What is the BEST tablet for comics?", obviously because as size and resolution go up, price skyrockets.

So let's try to determine what literally the best tablet for reading comics on the market is, assuming price is no object and it will be used EXCLUSIVELY for comics.

My next few posts will elaborate:
>>
Interesting premise but I don't see how anyone could objectively know unless they work in a store and can download comics to every tablet to compare them all
>>
>The Unicorn
To figure out what the best is, logically we should establish what the PERFECT tablet is and find the closest to that.

Comics have the standard dimensions of 6.625" x 10.25". So the theoretical screen size would be greater than 12.2", not accounting for the "bleed" that tablets have around the edge.

The standard resolution of digital comics is 1988x3056.

If we account for double-page spreads, the tablet would have to be 16.7" or more... And at that point we're getting kind of ridiculous, so I'm leaving that out.

So basically, we're looking for a large 4k tablet, which I'm not sure actually exists yet.
>>
>>78318716
New tablets come out every 3-6 months, just pick one that works and stick with it till you want to upgrade.
>>
File: a2bx.jpg (791 KB, 2048x1829) Image search: [Google]
a2bx.jpg
791 KB, 2048x1829
>>78318905
So after a little research, I actually did find that the perfect tablet does indeed exist, and I must not have been paying attention to tech trends.

The Dell XPS 12 is a 4k, 12.5" tablet/laptop hybrid, making the only flaw that it is actually very slightly TOO big to perfectly fit comic pages and they'll appear with a tiny bit of space on the sides.

This thing retails for around one grand and considering gamers spend that much on high-end PCs... That's much better than I was expecting.

>>78318972
You missed the point of the thread, did you just read the word "tablet" and then post?
>>
>>78319074
At that point, one might as well just get a laptop/ultrabook.
>>
>not making your own comics with a digitizer pen
Shame.

Galaxy Note Pro for Android slate, Thinkpad Yoga 260/460 for Windows convertible.
>>
File: Magik Wada.jpg (43 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Magik Wada.jpg
43 KB, 640x640
I used a Nook Color to read downloaded/non-pull/older books for years. It was smallish but ok for the price. Got a Fire HD 7 a few months ago also because it was so affordable. Again just ok, obviously a little small. Was able to upgrade to an iPhone 6s Plus recently and the screen clearly blows it out of the water. The size isn't ideal but takes some getting used to, the colors and picture are just crazy vivid. Can't even look at the Fire again, the colors are so washed out compared to the iPhone. So I imagine a iPad Pro would be very ideal for comics. /blog
>>
File: 1440370495340.jpg (160 KB, 828x686) Image search: [Google]
1440370495340.jpg
160 KB, 828x686
There is no decided best because a new best will always continue to be released

You can decide now, OP, but in 3 months there will be a new best and your thread/decision will be defunct and outdated

in conclusion, autism
>>
>>78318716
Used to have an Asus tf101, but soon realized that sucker was too heavy to use after an extended period of time. Switched later to a Galaxy 8.4 Tab S and has worked out pretty good so far.
>>
>>78319074
>XPS 12
How comfortable is it to read a book on that thing? The benefit of a Samsung Galaxy s2 is that it's light. You can spend hours reading comics on that thing. With an xps I fear after a few minutes your arms would get tired or you'd have to place the thing of a table.
>>
>>78319782

I have a Nexus 6, yeah comics look great on it but it's entirely too small.
>>
>>78318716
Lenovo Yoga because it has handle so you can hold it like a book
>>
>>78318716
i loved using my samsung galaxy note 10.1 wifi and 4g tablet for reading comics and playing the simpsons tapped out
>>
>>78319074
I got this laptop for $500 on sale. You need to use it on your lap or in a table because it's too heavy for a tablet. Comics look awesome, but 16:9 aspect ratio is not the best ratio out there
>>
>>78318716
Is an amazon fire HD 6 a good choice?
>>
I don't think that max resolution would be necessary for comics, 1080 or slightly higher would be fine. It also needn't be as large as the comics themselves, just big enough that detail doesn't get lost. It should be big enough that a page fits comfortably without having to zoom into/pan acroos panels and also be wide enough that it can be turned sideways for spreads without them feeling substantially smaller. Good clear color would be really important as well. And ideally I should 've able to download rars and cbrs directly to the reader without having to plug it into a pc to transfer them over.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.