[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 4
File: vison 3.jpg (214 KB, 900x1363) Image search: [Google]
vison 3.jpg
214 KB, 900x1363
Marvel really, really wants The Vision to succeed. Once again they will increase issue 3's orders to match those of issue 1 for free. Not only that, but the entirety of #1 will be included with Spider-Man/Deadpool #1 at no extra charge.

Also they're doing the same for Red Wolf, increasing orders for #2 to match #1.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/19/marvel-to-top-up-retailer-orders-of-the-vision-3-and-red-wolf-2/
>>
>>78318510
Well, I liked Vision #1 and #2, so if this is what they feel they need to do to keep the series going, I'm OK with it.
>>
>>78318510
I'm glad the book is getting more exposure but it still seems a little strange that they're giving away thousands of free copies

are they going to do it for every issue? what exactly are they getting out of this
>>
>>78318626
They want people to like it and buy it, but sales for #1 weren't as good as they were hoping.
~40k with 3+ variants will probably mean the book would normally drop to 20k by #4.
Same with Red Wolf probably.
>>
>>78318510
>Marvel really, really wants The Vision to succeed.
Getting King under contract, I guess.
>>
I don't really see how this is productive for them. The reason that the numbers aren't high is because comic readers are just too pleb to grasp how good of a book it is. Giving LCSes more issues that won't sell isn't going to help.
>>
>>78318662
>They want people to like it and buy it, but sales for #1 weren't as good as they were hoping.
Yeah I get that, but why these two books in particular?

Can they really consider the books successful if they had to give away a lot of free copies just to keep the numbers up? If retailers were going to drop their orders after #1 do they want unsellable extra copies of #2 and #3 sitting around even if they didn't cost anything?

If they don't give away #1 matches for every issue it's going to drop anyway

I'm just trying to figure out why Marvel is doing this

Vision has a lot of acclaim but Red Wolf had really tepid reviews and likely a poor debut, why push THAT book?
>>
>>78318755
>Red Wolf had really tepid reviews and likely a poor debut, why push THAT book?
Muh people of color book.
>>
>>78318755
Red Wolf for diversity points, Vision so they can sucker King into an exclusive.
>>
File: 1443116827630.jpg (97 KB, 469x620) Image search: [Google]
1443116827630.jpg
97 KB, 469x620
>>78318694
pls no
>>
>>78318694
I don't think King is that stupid.
>>
>>78318787
>>78318789
Remember Soule?
>>
>>78318826
I try not to
>>
>>78318826
the guy who wrote that mediocre red lanterns book? yeah i remember him
>>
>>78318826
Soule was on fringe titles. King has gotten major event books.
>>
>>78318787
>>78318789
Most creators don't have a problem with either company. Some had problems with DC editorial a couple years ago but that seems to have died down.
>>
>>78318845
Superman/Wonder Woman is not a fringe title
>>
>>78318845
>Robin War
>major
>>
Honestly, I wouldn't even mind King going exclusive. Vision is a lot more interesting and not as pretentious.
>>
>>78318838
Red Lanterns were dull as fuck with Guy going all I'M RAGEY in one issue and next I'M CALM! FUCK YOU ALL, I'M CALM! I enjoyed Swamp Thing lot more, desu.
>>78318845
Yeah, and evil people would say that's DC's way of luring King to their side.
>>
>>78318862
It certainly gets treated like one. Almost nothing in it get referenced in other things.

>>78318871
>line-wide crossover
>not major
>>
>>78318510
>gave out Vision #2 for free
>giving out Vision #3 for free
>including Vision #1 with Spidey/Deadpool, a book that's sure to sell gangbusters
Jesus. Sales must be pretty horrible if they're going to these lengths to try and drum up interest.
>>
>>78318911
I wonder if they regret on putting King on a more popular character now that people are starting to like him.
>>
>>78318755
Red Wolf is the only book they have that's written by a far right tea party conservative. They need someone like that around to point to when they get accused of being a liberal brain washing corporation.
>>
>>78318911
Seems to me that while sales for #1 were low, they believe in the book and want it to succeed. They're not doing this sort of thing for Squirrel Girl, and that sold even worse.
>>
>>78318911
Seriously, I want it to work since i love the book, but if they have to go to these lengths i don't see the book going past 12.

No way marvel would cancel it before then, since they want him under an exclusive and all.
>>
>>78318931
*NOT putting King on a more popular character
>>
>>78318876
Vision is good but Omega Men is better tho

I don't want King to go exclusive because he needs to take over the GL book ;_;
>>
>>78318939
Well yeah, even Marvel can recognize when they have something of true quality on their hands. They can tell that it's the best book they have right now, meaning it'll probably sell amazingly well in trades, but the floppie sales are so low that it's pretty clear few people have even given it the chance.
>>
>>78318931
I dread the day he'll start getting only A-list books that will be plagued by crossovers, events and heavy editorial meddling.

He's a very good writer and he really shines on these B-list/C-list books because he's given a lot of freedom.
>>
>>78318976
While you're right, I'd love to see King on Green Lantern and/or Captain America.
>>
>>78318931
Just imagine, instead of Vision we could have Winter Soldier in role of Grayson.
With Northstar as Midnighter.
>>
>>78318976
The event stuff has been some of his best work though, Futures End Grayson and Darkseid War GL
>>
>>78318931
I would guess with this book it was a pitch by King, only because I can't imagine Marvel editorial going, "We need a book where the Vision builds a creepy robot family and lives in the suburbs. Who could pull that off?"

"How about the guy who writes the gay spy book for DC?"

"Genius! Lets do more cocaine."

And then they did.
>>
>>78318976
Is that when /co/ decides that King has always sucked?
>>
What does this say to readers though when they go to a LCS and see tons of unsold issues of this book? Are they just thinking that shops are going to shill the book to get rid of the stock? But if it didn't cost them money so surely it's just as likely that they could just throw them out eventually without experiencing a loss. I just don't get it.
>>
>>78318510
They REALLY want this series to sell, don't they? Good on you, Marvel.
>>
>>78319049
Nah, not yet

Give it time, it'll happen
>>
>>78318997
As long as he's allowed to do an interesting run without getting bogged down by shitty events and crossovers, yeah.

However, that's pretty much impossible with A-list characters. I really like these types of unique/different takes on characters (Dick working for a spy organization, Vision starting a family in the suburbs), stuff that's not as common with characters like Green Lantern or Captain America. Since they're so popular, companies will always be wary of doing something out of the ordinary with them because of "NOT MUH" fags.
>>
>>78319079
I don't think that applies to GL given all the shit that has happened to them all, especially in the past 30 years. There's basically no real status quo for the franchise that would make a lot of money. Even right now all the characters are doing weird shit.
>>
>>78319007
Those were just oneshots though, doing a run for a character and then in the middle of it having to stop it for the new "all unique extraordinary game changing event" is annoying as fuck. That happens a lot with A-list books.

The Robin War crossover shit with Grayson is already pissing me off, thankfully it's just one issue and then we can go back to the main plot.
>>
Marvel wants to hype vision for the movies ? I guess
>>
File: 1446675578708.jpg (177 KB, 626x1250) Image search: [Google]
1446675578708.jpg
177 KB, 626x1250
>>78319144
I know this may come as a surprise to you, my dear /tv/ immigrant, but "muh movies" isn't the answer to every question.
>>
>>78319079
>not as common with characters like Green Lantern
They're actually pretty willing to fuck with GL status quo, and the only crossovers GL really does is with other GL books, the number of which has been dwindling anyway

I really do think King could do a stellar GL run
>>
>>78319079
It'll be a miracle if that happens. Not too many get to avoid events, and now they happen every 2 months.
>>
>>78318958
Are you me?
>>
>>78319144
they're lacking that well received book that flies under people's radar that they can parade around.

this book doesn't seem like something they'd want to be associated with the movie. (vision might be a creepy arsonist in the mcu, I wouldn't know since I haven't seen aou)
>>
>>78318694
If anything, King should be seeing red flags from all this.
>>
>>78319136
DC doesn't really do big events like that unless the creator helped come up with it. At most it is just that "one issue then back to the main story" kind of thing. I don't really know what you mean that would be in danger for him.
>>
>>78319231
>We gave away thousands of copies of that great book you wrote that nobody wanted to buy! SIGN WITH US
>>
>>78319239
What would be biggest event in New 52? Green Lantern crossovers? Or Forever Evil month?
>>
>>78319220
Yeah this is almost like the MCU Vision. I'd think if it was about that sort of hype they wouldn't have let King write this story at all.
>>
>>78319264
almost nothing like*

fuck man
>>
>>78319262
Forever Evil I guess? It's the only event that's had its own mini in the new 52 and it did affect a few other books for the duration
>>
>>78319262
Forever Evil was a 9 month long massive line-wide event. So yeah, FE. It's really been the only big Marvel-tier event that they've done in the New 52. Everything else has just been crossovers and Convergence, which doesn't really count.
>>
>promise King 12 issues of Omega Men
>cancel it at 8, forcing him to rewrite the scripts
>uncancel it because of twitter outrage
>has to rewrite the scripts again, delaying the comic from week 1 to week 4
>meanwhile Marvel gives Vision #2 and #3 for free and includes #1 in a Spiderman/Deadpool comic
Yeah, I really don't understand why King would want to sign a Marvel exclusive.
>>
>>78319262
Convergence or Forever Evil.
>>
>>78319335
I don't think that second step really happened. At most he rewrote maybe one script and a few outlines. Comics aren't done that far in advance where he would have to rewrite multiple issues.
>>
>>78319335
He is also writing Grayson and directing the Robin War stuff, both of which are much bigger deals than Vision or Omega Men, plus he got to write a tie in issue to one of DC's biggest books
>>
>>78319184
You know what I want to see
King on a Star Sapphire book
>>
>>78319345
Convergence was a break because their publishing schedule would have gotten fucked if they kept normal monthlies going during the move. I don't know if it should count.

>>78319363
Carol does need someone to fix her
>>
>>78319363
My kneejerk reaction was no, the Star Sapphires suck and they shouldn't waste King on something like that, but he is good at fixing things and they could definitely use some fixing so sure, why not
>>
>>78319360
He also has Sheriff of Bagdad going on.
>>
>>78319374
s/fix her/ruin her completely/
>>78319379
No, not Star Sapphires as a whole, just Carol Ferris trying to deal with Buisiness shit while also dealing with a horrible cosmic mind-rape superpower ring
>>
>>78319411
She really can't get much worse at this point.
>>
>>78319430
Make her bang John and you'll see how she's getting worse.
>John is getting Hal's sloppy seconds, outrage!!11!1
>>
>>78319381
Sheriff of Babylon.
>>
>>78319430
This isn't actually the worst she's been, she just has a lot of low points. A LOT.
>>
>>78319454
Ah whatever.
>>
>>78319484
Yeah, Carol strikes me as a character should be REALLY interesting, but more often than not, writers don't seem to care about her. A nice exception was, of course, GLTAS.
>>
>>78319363
The GL franchise can't support more than 2-3 books anymore though
>>
OK, someone explain to me why Vision needs to succeed so that King can come under contract. Can't they just offer him an exclusive contract?
>>
>>78319832
it's not about Vision succeeding, it's so later when they offer him the contract they have evidence that they'll support his work
>>
File: sad shocker.png (71 KB, 282x223) Image search: [Google]
sad shocker.png
71 KB, 282x223
>>78318976
So basically what's happening to Spencer?
>>
>>78320116
Something like that yeah
>>
>>78320116
Foes> Ant-Man.
>>
>>78320116
Yep.
>>
>>78318871
He's also got his own Vertigo title now.
>>
>>78320673
Too bad nobody cares about Vertigo.
>>
>>78319605
They just use her as either an accessory or an obstacle for dudes most of the time, even when she's not with Hal she either vanishes or turns evil (or recently they used her as Kyle's accessory instead), not to mention every writer gives her a different personality depending on what they need to use her as. With a few exceptions, of course.

She deserves better and seems unlikely to get it anytime soon unfortunately.
>>
>>78318510
This seems ass-backwards. Why not just let it sell naturally and instead of pouring money into free copies for everyone, just don't cancel it when it hits a comfortable 20k sale.
I mean DC sales go way lower. I don't get how Marvel needs all those extra sales to see a book as viable.
>>
>>78321411
>I don't get how Marvel needs all those extra sales to see a book as viable.

Looks good on paper I guess.
>>
>>78321411
I suspect because what happens to Vision in this story is gonna be a significant part of Civil War II or something, and Marvel wants everyone on the same page
>>
>>78322111
>event helping to keep low-key ongoing alive and on-track
I didn't know opposite day was so close to Christmas.
>>
>>78318510
Too bad I'll be trade-waiting Spidey/Dudepeel
>>
>>78321411
It's hard to buy a comic book when it's not on the shelf (well, you can go digital, but those sales are still much less than physical), and a book as low-tier as Vision could get cancelled before the first trade even gets solicited. This way if people go online and see others talking about how great Vision is, they can go to the local shop and grab a copy. Otherwise odds are good there would be no copies in the stores, since shops will drastically cut orders of issue #2 on most new series.
>>
>>78318931
I recall King saying that Marvel contacted him specifically for bringing Vision back in a big way.
Based on the first two issues, I'd say he has.
>>
>>78320116
I didn't expect to like Sam Wilson: Captain America as much as I have, but I'm really enjoying it.
>>
>>78322111
>VisiĆ³n and his family literally go nuclear which leads to fallout bettween Cap and Stark
>>
>>78318626
>>78318748

I figure the vision flies under the radar of most readers, so they're trying to give it more exposure because they think people who read it will end up liking it.
>>
>>78322682
Makes about as much sense as what started the last Civil War. More so, even.
>>
>>78322427
Me too but Spencer is in charge of Avengers standoff event.
>>
>>78318976
If he has to be on an A-list book then I hope he is in GotG and Bendis BTFOs to Spider-Woman or a third Iron Man book.

I would even be OK with Kitty staying on the GotG if King is writing it.

Obviously if I could choose it would be a Rich Rider centered cosmic comic he can be or not be Nova but I have confidence that King could continue to do something interesting with him.
>>
>>78318510
it really does feel like they want to lure King into a contract by pushing his book, but the guy is really tight with Mark Doyle who was his Vertigo editor and got him his job at DC working Grayson to begin with. I can't see him signing an exclusivity with Marvel
>>
>>78319020
That is like 70's Marvel editorial logic, except swap cocaine with lsd
>>
>>78322427
Cap has always been a character who sorrounds himself with and works best with c-list and d-list characters (see Gruenwald's run) and those types of characters are Spencer's strength (especially the misfits).
>>
>>78318510
Well then maybe they shouldn't have had him break up with Wanda.
>>
>>78318932
Couldn't they get a better conservative writer for that though? Edmonson is terrible.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.