[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If he's so smart why is he an alcoholic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: 177777.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
177777.jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
If he's so smart why is he an alcoholic?
>>
To forget the countless billions of lives he has destroyed.
>>
>>78316823
to shut up the little voices in his head
>>
>>78316823
Just because someone is smart doesn't mean they'd have the best judgement.
>>
He is redditor
>>
There's an episode of House where this guy with a super genius level IQ basically secretly drinks a shitton all the time so that he can put up with his wife of average intelligence.

Also Rick is shown explicitly to be a depressed, troubled individual that habitually pushes people away, and intelligence doesn't trump character flaws.
>>
Because it feels good, stupid.
>>
He isn't infallible.
>>
>>78316823
Alcohol is the intelligent man's addiction

Weed is the dumb's one
>>
File: holmo.jpg (23 KB, 250x323) Image search: [Google]
holmo.jpg
23 KB, 250x323
If he's so smart, why is he a morphine addict?
>>
To dull the pain from the insane things he's witnessed, and to try and forget that he's essentially insignificant and not special in any way.
>>
Because he's Dan Harmon.
>>
File: lisa-simpson-graph1.jpg (15 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
lisa-simpson-graph1.jpg
15 KB, 320x240
>>78316823
>If he's so smart why is he an alcoholic?

Because he's not happy.
>>
>>78317956

She makes a lot of graphs.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 288x174) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 288x174
>>78317116
>implying weed can't be stimulating
>belittling the smokey potter: the philospher's stoned
The entire psychadelic movement say otherise, bud. The Hashashin say otherwise. Dynasties of chinese imperial rule say otherwise.
>>
>>78316823

Because he's surrounded by stupid people
>>
>>78316823
Because he has a viable liver donor within 100 feet of himself at all times.
>>
>>78316976
>a super genius level IQ basically secretly drinks a shitton all the time so that he can put up with his wife of average intelligence.
why doesn't he just leave her
>>
>>78320659
Because leaving/divorcing someone means you made a bad judgement call when you fell for them in the first place, and intelligent people aren't known for being humble and admitting that they can make mistakes
>>
Is there some sort of correlation between intelligence and somehow being perfect and infallible?
>>
>>78316823
>smart
>alcoholic
You answered your own question.
>>
>>78320878
God, I wish. If anything it's the opposite.
>>
>>78320878
there's a correlation between intelligence and being under the delusion that your emotional decisions are logical ones
>>
>>78320902
I know a lot of dumb alcoholics & other drug addicts.

I know a lot of smart people in the same boat.

Drugs are just awesome man. Life is hard, knowing more about it doesn't always make it easier. Booz can!
>>
>>78317956
Is this true or is this something that depressed people try to hold onto in order to maintain a shred of self esteem?
>>
>>78316942
why doesn't he invent a drug that isn't so self destructive or addictive
>>
File: tumblr_n862vkt7cx1qbbpaoo1_500.gif (998 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n862vkt7cx1qbbpaoo1_500.gif
998 KB, 500x280
>>78321028
both can be contributing factors. No one size fits all.
>>
>>78321028
A little from column A, a little from column B.
>>
>>78316823
As dumb as I think OP is I genuinely envy people who have no context into what it's like to be depressed.
>>
>>78321217
Ignorance is bliss, also why drugs are great.

Also, I find alcohol to be the easiest drug to turn to as someone who hates interacting with people.
>>
On average, intelligence tends to be correlated with emotional stability. But statistical tendencies are nothing like actual rules.

I've known a few people who seemed ridiculously intelligent to me. (It's all relative; maybe they'd just seem normal to you.) One acted like a nice person. One acted like an ordinary guy who fucked up with relationships and booze and overeating fairly regularly. One was an egomaniacal asshole. One tended to pingpong between acting like a small child and acting like an autistic savant.

Despite Rick's intellect, his alcoholism just doesn't seem all that odd to me.
>>
>>78317116
Get bullied by the stoner kids, son?
>>
>>78321496
No, I bullied the stoners, bro
>>
>>78317116
>Alcohol is the intelligent man's addiction

Does the fact that you genuinely believe this not depress you greatly?
>>
>>78321096
>>78321134
I don't see why you're being so vague to something questioning something oddly specific. Is Lisa's graph based on real evidence?
>>
>>78316823
Something happened to his wife
>>
>>78321551
>former bully
>posting on /co/

Sure and I'm Mansa Musa I
>>
>>78321876
Of course not, it's an 8-year-old's graph that only has the words happiness and intelligence on it.
>>
>>78320659
He loved her, he just thought she was dumb and couldn't stand talking to her so he took to self-medication to make himself dumber instead.
>>
>>78321876
No. There's some truth to it in that intelligent people are statically for likely to be depressed but the graph is very...2 dimensional.
>>
>>78316823
If Jeffrey Dahmer was so smart, why was he a serial killer?
>>
>>78321959
You caught me I'm just really high
>>
>>78322061
Maybe he realized that we're all hollow shells and realized that the only way to redemption is to break us apart so we can be reborn whole again
>>
Same reason why a lot of intelligent people have depression
>>
>>78316823
Intelligent people are often self-destructive
>>
>>78316823
I always liked the idea that he is an alcoholic BECAUSE he is so smart. His mental accuity allows him some level of comprehension of the vast, fucked up universe and beyond even. And it isnt doing good things to his stability.
>>
>>78316823
there are better kinda sciencey drugs he could take, better effects, fewer side effects... but he finds himself in all kinds of crazy dimensions all the time and the most reliable thing to ask for is alcohol since fermentation is pretty universal. at least if you're in a world with oxygen and shit. So he's just gotten used to relying on it. you notice he asked for whiskey in that crazy fantasy world
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.