[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I make a good Original character?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 858x931) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 858x931
>>
>"PoC"
>girl
>talks in memes
>some religion that is cooler than Christianity
There, you got brand new OC.
>>
File: Kavalier and Clay.jpg (125 KB, 415x623) Image search: [Google]
Kavalier and Clay.jpg
125 KB, 415x623
>>78296587

No matter who the character is or what he or she or it does, I guess it just has to be well written to work. Just like any writer can do a good job on any character. Thinking about it your post reminded me of some of this amazing novel, in which the superhero boom takes off and everyone's rushing to make the next Superman.
>>
>>78296587
Nothing too complex.

Make sure the colors are balanced.

Experiment with shapes.

Have their character design be able to show some of their personality.
>>
>>78296612
Kamala?
>>
you have to understand the zeitgeist or you have to get lucky

or just rip off someone else more talented but less connected
>>
>>78296676
Nah, overall. Female characters are more marketed, for some reason I can't fathom. And in age of political correctness, it's better to jump on that train and get headstart on PCbux.
>>
>>78296674
I stand behind this anon's reply.

I'd like to add that it's always wise to make sure your character's design and personality best fits the story you're trying to tell. So if you want to make a comic that's a straight take on Silver Age capes you don't just toss a Coen Bros character in there or even a modern-day Batman-type.

People are gonna tell you a lot of advice. But not all of it is going to be suitable for your narrative or characters. Figuring out what works best takes trial and error over a long period of time. But once you nail it and do so with consistency you'll find that it was always worth it.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 600x948) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 600x948
OP here, thanks for the feedback
The story that I'm trying to tell is a somewhat realistic take on a ragtag super team, but still lighthearted and fun. I want something cool and adventurous, but doesn't take itself too seriously. What kind of narrative would be best for that scenario?
Side question: what kind of powers should my OC's have, too keep them from being too mary sue?
>>
>>78296997

Did you read Secret Six and Superior Foes? Sounds like good examples of what you're going for.
>>
>>78296587
Git gud
>>
>>78297047
Not until now, thanks anon
>>
File: Foes13.jpg (248 KB, 741x1100) Image search: [Google]
Foes13.jpg
248 KB, 741x1100
>>78297117

Yeah check em out for some inspiration, both do a great job of balancing fun/humor and action.
>>
>>78296587
Just remember this, op. Good artists create, but great artists steal.
>>
>>78296674
Speaking of, anyone got any OCs recent or not and wanna post them, see if anyone can guess anything about them by the picture alone?
>>
>>78296587

silhouette test
color balance

done.
>>
>>78296587
same answer as 'how do i make gud girl/black character'
just make a good character
THEN make them original
>>
>>78297959
Like original heroes? I've drawn some. Should I post 'em?
>>
>>78299773
Superhero OCs would probably be ideal considering the OP pic and all. Guess what we can from the costumes alone.

if you want
>>
quite a few jaded design student drop outs 'round these parts
>>
>>78296587
That's a good invincible redesign
>>
>>78300679
I actually thought it was some murderman fan art
>>
File: 1414087514291.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1414087514291.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>78296645
>Absolutely gosh-wow, super-colossal
jesus christ
>>
You have to think in a wider scope than just the hero by themselves in a vacuum. You have to create a whole world for them to live in. I'd recommend creating a fantasy parallel world like DC
>>
File: stinger.jpg (594 KB, 2975x3850) Image search: [Google]
stinger.jpg
594 KB, 2975x3850
>>78300193
My personal favourite design I've created
>>
>>78301600

pretty cool mate
>>
>>78301729
You'd never guess what his favourite insect is in a million years
>>
>>78301600
>Dreamworks face
>>
>>78301600
thank goodness theres a bee on his shirt i never would have figured out his super original theme otherwise
>>
>>78296676
Top kek. that bitch is nuisance
>>
>>78305086
I'm just a sucker for actual symbols on hero costumes rather than just have the costume be the "symbol".
>>
File: 2955541-8788361763-invin.jpg (148 KB, 465x715) Image search: [Google]
2955541-8788361763-invin.jpg
148 KB, 465x715
>>78296587
You failed OP
>>
You make him the best one there is
>>
OP here, The original pic was just a design that I liked, I didn't know it came from something
Also nice Bee OC, anon
>>
>>78296997
Pick any from >>78281055
>>
>>78296612
They said good, not trendy.
>>
Well... don't make another fucking superhero.

As many superhero comics as I own... I just can't imagine writing one.

Oddly I've found myself drawn to ideas about supernatural romance horror comics. But, you know, not shitty like Twilight or the dozens in its wake. Shit. I was thinking about it before I heard about Twilight. An idea for a college one and one based on in a high school near Arkham.

Plus a kinda real world conspiracy hacker thing about anonymous hackers and reporters taking on banks and Wall Street and the corruption in the US Government..... but Mr Robot and reality beat me to that shit.
>>
File: richard-dawkins-thedogdelusion.jpg (13 KB, 161x177) Image search: [Google]
richard-dawkins-thedogdelusion.jpg
13 KB, 161x177
>>78306235
Wait.. you mean OP didn't just use some concept art from Invincible?

>>78296612
Honestly, I was thinking of having a female or trans main character for one of my stories because I didn't want to have only male protagonists.

Plus maybe one of the supporting was a closeted gay Persian Muslim mashed up from friends in college.

Oh and they'd be on an anonymous message board and deal with not only internet memes, but the concepts of memetics and the thought plane....
so....
Three strikes there?
>>
>>78297959
Not capeshit, but I'd be curious to see what you think these characters would be like and if it matches what I'm going for
>>
Am I the only one who would like to see characters in comics dress a bit more down to earth and not have everything be a superhero comic or even fantasy comic with crazy outfits?

Where's the love for horror and crime comics?
Hell, even romance and daily life comics could use some love... if they you can even find many these days.
>>
>>78296997
>Side question: what kind of powers should my OC's have, too keep them from being too mary sue?
Well... what kinda story you want?
Are they pulling a heist?
Stopping a heist?
Why the fuck would anyone want to read your comic?

No. Really. What story do you want to tell?
Where do you want these characters to go?
I would think that should be done before thinking what powers to have. At least that would lead you to defining what powers they have.

I know. A blank page is fucking death.
I've regurgitated so many ideas in my head for years because I never feel any are ready.

And then I see a show on basic cable that does kinda what I wanted to do only far far more interesting and maybe far more complex.
>>
>>78313222
Well maybe you should buy some horror and crime comics then.
As for dressing down, that's fine in other genres but I hate the toning down of certain hero characters.
>>
>>78313241
shit, forgot to add..
No. Really. Why would people want to read your comic?
What would engage someone reading it?
So many powers are played out.
Yet also unique powers can be a one trick pony or just paint themselves into uninteresting corners.

You can have something as common and old as flight or invisibility... yet do something really unique with the right character and story arc.
>>
This might sound worthless, and it might be but tell a story that interests you OP. Don't try to make what you think will be big, I mean maybe that might work. It's worked before but it usually has tons of soulless corporation money behind it, but would that really make you happy? A paint by the number play to the cliches affair that while it'll be big probably will fade when all the fads it's playing into disappear?
Something more heartfelt might not be an instant hit but you have to keep trying and hoping that you'll eventually connect with some people.
I can't tell you what it is you like and what you like might not actually be the most unique story in the world but it'll come from you.
>>
File: fant4stic green screen effects.jpg (147 KB, 1366x566) Image search: [Google]
fant4stic green screen effects.jpg
147 KB, 1366x566
>>78313252
I think those are most of the things in my pulls.

and
Honestly.. yeah.. dressed down capes seem so... 1998. Hell, maybe even 2005 for it going more mainstream and watered down and lazy. Also.. fuck Chris Nolan The Dark Knight making this some kinda norm and 'realistic' superheros still infecting the mainstream.

Let superheroes be superheros.
>>
File: X-Men_Cast.jpg (536 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
X-Men_Cast.jpg
536 KB, 1920x1080
>>78313299
I don't think that's just NolanBats fault it's not just specific to them, I mean it sorta started with X-men didn't it? The only Capeflick willing to just kind of jump into colorful spandex without fear of looking silly was Spider-man
>>
>>78301600
Tech guy
probably a complete newbie to super heroing?

>>78313197
Based on the elements alone already gives an idea on how each would act. The wind one looks like the smartest out of the group.
>>
>>78313222
>>78313299
>>78313252
>>78313377
I love superheroes more than the majority of my peers and I actually really like the dressed down thing except for certain characters.

Like Spider-Man, Superman and the Flash Family etc have costumes I just loved. But I don't think I've ever cared for most X-Men outfits.

I think it depends on the character. But I also think it might be worth it to borrow a couple notes on the flair and theatrics of other genres instead of just borrowing from capes.

I remember loving the blue uniforms the Guardians of the Galaxy wore so much because they were very colorful and well-designed but owed more to pulpy mid-century space operas than they did superheroes.
>>
>>78313377
>dat pic
I love how you can see the green screen behind invisible woman's hair
>>
File: frank-and-rachel.png (324 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
frank-and-rachel.png
324 KB, 500x349
>>78314187
I think the only one I've seen it really work for is Punisher, and that's mostly because it kept the only thing really good about his original costume the Third Best designed Logo in all of comics.
For him being Tacticool makes sense since his bit is he's a psycho with a gun, and again it's not taking over for a better design. All the other toned back heroes are not only losing some magic but they're usually replacing better designs.
>>
>>78314644
I think most of them don't work. But I also don't like a lot of their normal costumes so it's a wash. I feel like the concept has potential but in execution its limited by just how myopic so many cape artists are when it comes to fashion that isn't already built into the genre.
>>
>>78314076
yeah, your actually right. pretty good
>>
Lets not forget how stances and poses are essential as well.

>>78315603
For which characters?
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 382x566) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 382x566
OP here
To be honest I was really trying to make the characters and flesh out the world before I go too far into the narrative, that way I can put them in different situations based on how they interact with eachother and the world.
I want the costumes to be recognizable and colorful, but keep it to something someone would wear if they were a hero. 25% Tacticool, 25% Dressed down, and 50% classic
>>
>>78317432
Are you setting it in a modern contemporary earth?
>>
>>78296587
You can't. Everything has been done before.
Forget about "original" and just stick with trying to make it "good".
>>
>>78320777
Nothing wrong with building off of traditions and archetypes. They became standards for a reason
>>
I guess when I make a character I just start with an attribute and then branch out from there.
Unless you're talking about costumes or appearances. Man I don't know
>>
Don't start with a team. Let all of your characters be their own thing first with their own worlds. Neither the Avengers or the Justice League began with new characters.
>>
>>78320904
This doesn't mean don't gave crossovers though. Just hold off on them forming into one force
>>
>>78320904
Pretty much what im doing with my supergal. Working hard on not making her seem too perfect.
>>
IMO, an oc should be effortless

if you put too much thought into it, it becomes a deviantart autism
>>
>>78296587
You don't
>>
>>78317432
A bit late to the discussion, but sometimes just straight up civilian clothes with a few 'hero' flourishes can work incredibly for a character design.

Pic related.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.