[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This was great. It's only 6 episodes long so far, but I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: f is for family.jpg (131 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
f is for family.jpg
131 KB, 1280x720
This was great. It's only 6 episodes long so far, but I watched it all in one go last night. Much more meaningful and realistic than Family Guy.

The ginger son will eventually marry a Black feminist when he's in his 40's.
>>
>>78292887
Good show, nice to actually have a storyline carry over through the whole season.
>>
I like how the AV Club has to keep apologizing that the show is so un-PC.
>>
If this were on WatchCartoon I'd have watched it OP
>>
Yeah I saw 5 episodes with my little cousin yesterday and thought it was awesome- will finish it sometime soon. I thought it was realistic as hell and reminded me of my family if my parents were boomers instead of Xers. Very funny and had cute moments like the big brother protecting the ginger spazz yet wails on him for being stupid too. Good shit.

Oh and I love the opening, it's just really cool.
>>
>>78292986
Really? Thats fucking gay of them.

But yeah I really like this show a lot. The scene where Frank and Sue are arguing in their room was really really well done
>>
>>78292986
They're the exact kind of people the creators knew they'd be offending.

>>78293108
Give it another few days. Everything relatively new always ends up there
>>
>>78292986
It's not even that fucking un-PC. Nobody says anything particularly offensive. Any of the race/sex jokes are at the expense of white people. Literally the only thing that can be seen as politically incorrect is that Burr's character, who is often the voice of reason, has very, very traditional/rigid views on the roles of men and women in society.
>>
Just watched the first episode. Thought it was pretty bad sempai. The show doesn't really do anything new or interesting at all except be "darker" then the other 100 dysfunctional family shows out there. The humors nothing that I cant just put into any other family cartoon . IT just feels so generic. Compare this to the oblongs for example were even without the whole mutant shitck going on you at least have a different dynamic and humor that sets it apart from literally everything else.
>>
>>78294044
It's literally based on the dad's voice's real life family, faggot. It's his literal life. How is that not original? Plus there's an ongoing plot about the dad's promotion and a union strike at the airport. Thought you anime guys loved ongoing plots senpai?
>>
>>78292986
Really? When I watched the show I could taste the Netflix influence in a lot of the material, didn't feel politically incorrect at all. Still enjoyed it though, Burr's a prince.
>>
>>78292887
Saw this on the bar expecting Family Guy clone #32. Now that I'm watching it I'm actually enjoying it. Also I swear some of the kids sound like they're from Ed Edd n Eddy.
>>
>>78292887
Is it as feelsy as Bojack Horseman?
>>
>>78293920
>has very, very traditional/rigid views on the roles of men and women in society.

Well now that's just very problematic.
>>
>>78294380
Are you personally offended someone didn't like this show?
>>
>>78294380
>It's literally based on the dad's voice's real life family, faggot. It's his literal life. How is that not original?

Life With Louie says hello.
>>
Animation looks very king of the hillish
>>
>>78292887
Definitely digging it so far.

Opening is really well animated.
>>
>>78294778
In a different way yeah.
>>
>>78292887
I'm about to watch it, got nothing else to do what am I in for?
>>
>>78292887
So, watched the show. It was eh. Felt like it would be better liveaction. Humor is miss and hit. Liked the dynamics between the family, and while I initially thought 6 episodes was a little too short, I thought it was just right. It was king of the hill-y though. Probably won't rewatch it, but eh, it was okay for the most part.
the drama however was fucking good. good shit there
>>
The dad is needlessly aggressive, he isnt likeable or funny. Stopped watching after episode 3.
>>
Are there any scenes of the son in his underwear?
>>
>>78295251
>He wants to get put through the fucking wall
the post
>>
>>78292887
i've seen the first episode, and i really like the older brother. he looks out for his younger brother even though he has trouble being a teenager.

reminds me of me and both my older and younger brother
>>
File: 1448315399174.jpg (62 KB, 348x424) Image search: [Google]
1448315399174.jpg
62 KB, 348x424
>>78294380
Did Bill Burr start a forest fire?
>>
Really liked the Elfin King bits, nice nods to prog rock all around.
>>
Its pretty funny, reminds me a lot of my family
>>
It's cool seeing Bill be insecure about this show on the podcast
>>
>>78296514
Post link
>>
>>78296544
https://soundcloud.com/themonday-morning-podcast/monday-morning-podcast-12-17-1#t=6:34
>>
>>78292887
God-tier intro
Meh-tier show
Shit-tier animation

I like it desu
>>
>>78294709
He's an asshole who knows he's an asshole and openly states that his life is a mess. Heard a nice long interview on npr and the guy comes off like the self righteous ass who can't let a point die or will force words out of you like you're licking his taint, but you still end up liking him. I liked him at least. He hates political correctness and seems to believe his experiences are the experiences of everyone. He's a fine guy, but obviously an asshole.
>>
>>78298442
Oh, and apparently when interviewing writers he had them do a comic strip or something then would judge it only of they said they had a rough childhood like "their brother pushed them down the stairs for no reason". Pretty good way to get a cohesive team imo.
>>
>>78294800
you forgot Bobby's World. Point is you can get away with the real shit.
>>
>>78292887
Call me when it get's this kind of quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POS24e54t3E
>>
>>78295602
He got put through a wall
>>
>>78295602
According to his appearance on Conan last Wednesday he damn well tried
>>
>>78293920
>Literally the only thing that can be seen as politically incorrect is that Burr's character, who is often the voice of reason, has very, very traditional/rigid views on the roles of men and women in society.

You say that like it isn't a major thing that would piss people off. I don't even self-identify as feminist and you're making me not want to try it. I don't want to watch some asshole republican jerk himself off in cartoon form.
>>
>>78300660
>#triggered
>>
>>78300660
It takes place in the early 70's, when traditional values were still strongly in place. You just have to deal with the fact that people acted differently 40+ years ago.
Calm the fuck down tumblr.
>>
Just finished my binge. Jesus, that fight in episode 5 was great. The line about Kevin and the motel pool was brutal.

I like the use of continuity and I liked the interaction between the family as well as Frank's neighbor rivalry with Vic. Very similar to Bojack Horseman, but to me the characters and their struggles just felt more (for lack of a better word) human.

I'd rate it at least an 8/10.
>>
>>78300660
>this limp-dicked faggot
>>
File: homer sunken face.png (194 KB, 287x361) Image search: [Google]
homer sunken face.png
194 KB, 287x361
>>78294968
>I didn't break the TV
>Then why did you say you did?
>BECAUSE I FUCKING HATE YOU
>sad hulk music.mp3

The hell? Was I supposed to feel something at this scene?
>>
>>78300821
Traditional values are held by those who had parents from the 50s they didn't rebel from you mean.
>>
>>78301388
No, but the father did, the music was reflecting his emotion not your lack.
>>
>>78302252
Typically when a show does a scene like that they want to make the viewer feel some emotion. It felt like they were trying to get the audience to go "MY HEART I'M SO SAD" but it was so rushed and the dialogue made no sense so it just felt flat.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-19-17h40m23s226.png (281 KB, 721x406) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-19-17h40m23s226.png
281 KB, 721x406
OTP?
>>
Just got done watching the second episode.

Looking at the intro, it seems like the show is supposed to present the dad as a relatable guy, but he's just a totally unlikable character. He's so tightly wound and horribly bitter that he seems like the tiniest thing could give him a heart attack.

I know we have characters with these traits like Homer Simpson, but they always have some kind of charm or comedic exaggeration to them. When Homer gets mad, it's usually some wacky cartoon shit like pic related. When he's jealous of Flanders that leads to some great lines or stuff like mowing the lawn in a dress to spite him.

When it's Frank, he just screams "fuck" and "shit" at his children and strews in his own anger muttering under his breath. It's not funny, it's not charming. It's like being at Thanksgiving dinner with that one relative who's so full of negativity that you can almost physically feel everyone get more tense as soon as he walks into the room.

And do the writers seriously have no restraint with the cussing? It's like they feel obligated to cram in "fuck" and "shit" every other line just because they can. Bojack Horseman used the word "fuck" exactly once per season and you know what? It hit really hard each time. It was powerful. When I watch F is for Family I feel like I'm back in middle school sitting at the lunch table listening to kids who think cussing makes them sound grown up.
>>
>>78303299
It's almost like it's supposed to be realistic like Burr's childhood and not a wacky cartoon.
>>
>>78303299
>Looking at the intro, it seems like the show is supposed to present the dad as a relatable guy
That's not the impression I got. I felt like the dad was just a regular guy, who got beaten down by life and reality until he's a bitter and and angry man.
>>
>>78303536
>>78303550

I guess I don't see what's supposed to be entertaining about an extremely angry, bitter man expressing his anger and bitterness in a way completely devoid of humor.

I mean, there are ways to tell stories about this kind of person in a way where instead of being funny it's supposed to be cathartic or exploring these kinds of feelings, but if that's what this show's trying to do I feel like it's failing hard.
>>
>>78300821
>It takes place in the early 70's, when traditional values were still strongly in place.

That makes it slightly better but not really.
>>
>>78303088
How do you cap Netflix with VLC?>>78303088
>>
>>78304541
I hacked the Netflix mainframe with VLC
>>
>>78293920
PROBLEMATIC
R
B
L
E
M
A
T
I
C
>>
>episode 5
Jesus Christ, that little girl is evil
>>
>>78304310
well then don't watch it then
>>
>>78294380
>It's literally based on the dad's voice's real life family, faggot. It's his literal life. How is that not original?
That's kinda the opposite of original. It's been done a lot.
>>
>>78292986
Sauce?

>>78294709
>I could taste the Netflix influence in a lot of the material
In what ways exactly? I wanna watch this show cause I love Burr, but Netflix is a fucking shit pool of tumblr-tier fuckery.
>>
>>78305850
>Netflix is a fucking shit pool of tumblr-tier fuckery
W/ Bob and David was pretty good.
>>
>>78305722
But then what will I get angry at?
>>
>>78292887
It's like the anti-SU. I love it!
>>
>>78305772
He's not talking about the concept, but the source material, you dense motherfucker.
>>
>>78306444
Did you know there are people who unironically supporting Donald Trump!?
>>
Meh, I don't like the 70's but this wasn't bad
>>
>>78306736
>doesn't like the 70s

How? Why? The 70s were so based
>>
>>78305772
I meant original in the individual/human experience type of sense, not the premise/genre level.
>>
>>78306757
I mostly just hate nostalgia really, looking at rose-tinted glasses, everything now is shit not like the good old days. There were no good old days, every time had good parts and shitty parts.
>>
>>78306899
I get this.Nostalgafags can get irritating.
>>
>>78303299
I don't think he's supposed to be funny or charming in that way, I think he's supposed to be somewhat sad in a much more level Clay Puppington-type of way, except he isn't evil.
>>
>Shooting a kid in a tree with a bb gun
>"I'm gunna be a cop"
Top kek
>>
"Give me a dollar"
>Shreds it up and throws it up in the air
"Give me your sandwich"
>Shreds it up and throws it up in the air

I love Sue.
>>
>OP's standard for good cartoons is "is it better than Family Guy"

That's the saddest thing I've ever seen.
>>
File: 1421918056434.png (10 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1421918056434.png
10 KB, 429x410
>>78306515
>the anti-SU

literally what?
>>
>>78307392
>responding to bait
nigga he used an exclamation point
>>
>>78307305
Her name is Maureen.
>>
>>78307471
I thought Maureen was the wife's name.
My point still stands.
>>
>>78303299
>their dad never yelled "shit" and "fuck" at every opportunity and muttered bloody murder under his breath as soon as he got home from his hard ass job
>didn't grow up hearing their mom and dad throwing those words at each other like it was going out of style
>thinks that stereotype exists just to be funny

It's relatable as fuck. Just not for you.
>>
>>78292887
Watching the first episode right now.
Good so far, animation is atrocious but I like the atmosphere of humorous misery.
>>
>>78292887
Family Guy wasn't meant to be realistic.
>>
>>78307417
>he used an exclamation point

what...
>>
>>78307704
Animation was pretty shit in Bojack too, but that's not what makes it great.
>>
File: 1446181406676.jpg (213 KB, 905x555) Image search: [Google]
1446181406676.jpg
213 KB, 905x555
You can do this

No you can't/
>>
>>78308129
True.
I just finished the episode, I think I love this show.
I was dying at 'THEN CLOSE YOUR EYES AND SHUT THE FUCK UP' because it just sounds like something my dad would say to me.
The characters just really hit home for me, particularly Frank.
That mixture of love, bitterness, and anger is just very real.
>>
The dad reminds me more of my grandpa.
My dad was a sad alcoholic who was always awkward around my sister and I
>>
>>78295251
>anons father didn't talk like this to him
And this is why you're a fucking pussy
>>
>>78295251
You've never had a father like that then have him die on you as a kid then.
>>
Wait, does this mean Bill was once under his parents bed when they fucked?
>>
>>78307603
This. If this doesn't relate to you, then you likely won't enjoy it. But if it does, then you'll, at the very least, get it.
>>
>>78295251
>The dad is needlessly aggressive
So are a lot of fathers in real life.
>>
>>78310221
yep, not all dads threaten to "put you through a wall", but if you weren't afraid of your dad beating your ass as a kid, you had 2 moms.
>>
>>78292887
Holy fuck.
The angry video game nerd got a carton?
>>
>>78310433

>If your dad wasn't abusive, you had two moms
>>
File: 1449520723511.jpg (8 KB, 180x163) Image search: [Google]
1449520723511.jpg
8 KB, 180x163
>>78300833
I'd say they're more relatable. While I doubt everyone's family was always that dysfunctional, I'd bet a lot everyone remembers at least one fight their family had that was similar to what happened in the show.

Bojack Horseman is about a guy who should (in theory) be happy, feeling like shit, and trying not to feel like shit. You relate to the struggle of trying to be happy but failing.

This show is about an average guy who isn't satisfied with his life, feeling like shit, while trying to get through it all. You relate to the struggle of not breaking down from all the mundane shit life throws at you.

They're similar, it's just one stars a HollyWoo actor, and the other stars an average Joe. Interestingly enough though, both Bojack and Frank both want what the other has to an extent. Bojack romanticizes family life and wishes he had given it a go, and Frank romanticizes being a career man. Neither of them are really aware of the expenses associated with either choice. They just assume their life would be much better.

It'd be funny watching them meet each other, because they'd bitch each other out for what they don't have.
>The fuck are you looking at horseman? You have all the money in the world, what fucking problems do you have?
>What problems do I have, what are you so upset? How the hell can you feel shitty about yourself knowing you have an entire family that'll care about you until the day you die?
>>
Pretty great, pilot season if I do say so myself. The animation is a but stiff but it's funny and interesting enough to keep me watching.
Worst part is the hick kids, they were painfully unfunny, I loathed every time they were on screen.
>>
>>78311091
discipline =/= abuse

>>78311328
>Worst part is the hick kids, they were painfully unfunny
I didn't really hate them, but the kid in the diaper was pretty cringey
>>
>>78294044
I agree, I watched all the episodes and it was pretty meh. The entire show just felt like an excuse to do "Wow, do you see how much the Dad curses at his wife and kids, you won't see that anymore."
>>
>>78311412

Discipline =/= Fear

I'm sorry for whatever childhood you may have had to draw this conclusion.
>>
>>78311412
There's a fine line between disciplining your children and making them believe they'll end up in a hospital if they upset you.
>>
Only watched one episode. Not for me, my dad wasn't an abusive asshole so I can't identify with it.
>>
File: 1450037376008.gif (1 MB, 194x284) Image search: [Google]
1450037376008.gif
1 MB, 194x284
>>78305921
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJHkyAGk1zk
>>
File: tmp_22079-Mohawk_air130067999.png (11 KB, 150x128) Image search: [Google]
tmp_22079-Mohawk_air130067999.png
11 KB, 150x128
Fun fact: there was an actual Mohawk Airlines that went out of business in 1973.
>>
>>78292887

you ever wonder why there are so many animated shows about middle class families and their horrible lives?

this is why I really appreciate Bojack
>>
>>78312819
>you ever wonder why there are so many live action sitcoms about middle class families and their lives?

Same reason, the sitcom formula is a easy way to do comedy.
>>
I give it a 7/10

Not as good as Bojack. I feel like if there's a season two, it will probably be better.
>>
Initially, I didn't the show was very good. It was loud and blunt and I thought I had seen every character a million times and was already tired of everyone and everything that was happening.

But I loved it by the time I finished it. It's a rough look at a rough family that feels really authentic because it's grounded in some really nice, small details. Like the shitty batting cages the mom goes to to work off her anger. It doesn't flatten any of the main characters, except the shithead daughter who doesn't really get much characterization in the first place, and they feel like rounded people.
>>
>>78303299

Fuck off.
>>
>>78292986

Yeah they and IGN do this in like every review of television that they do. There's always one like about how it's "unfortunate" that something awkward happened or that the show is good in spite of a character saying something offensive.

That's why I just stopped reading them lol
>>
>>78294380
The son is called Bill and on the podcast he would tell everyone how his Dad would threaten to put him through a wall if he screwed up

Also
>I can walk, but can you carry me
Having a sister and having had situations like that I teared up a bit.
>>
>Can I be Jesus?
>No
>Nazi Jesus?
>No, what's wrong with you?
kek
>>
>>78293108
Watch Cartoon is dropping the ball lately.
>>
>>78312034
>it's legal to smack children in your country because you don't know how to handle them
Fucking savages
>>
>>78313740
I don't know why, but something about that dead eyed smile of the Mr. Coconut costume got me every time I saw it lol
>>
>>78314079
I want it for Halloween next year
>>
>>78305722
Maybe I won't. It depends on how infallible and wise the old sexist asshole is presented. Sounds like this thread can't decide if he's supposed to be a flawed human or a sympathetic patriarch.
>>
>>78311412
>discipline =/= abuse

As an adult looking back I can't remember a time my dad threatened me to kill me that was discipline rather than abuse. It was usually over insane shit like getting up too fast when he turned on the lights when I was half-asleep on vacation. If you think threatening your kids is good or necessary you are probably white trash.
>>
>>78311091
>have difficulty interacting with masculine men because they casually insult and mess with each other and my deranged insecure retard dad would flip his shit at the drop of a hat if I did anything like that
>get made fun of all the time for coming across as an awkward pussy and possibly being one

Th-thanks for teaching me how to be manly dad. All those threats sure did build character. The character of a cowed little bitch.
>>
>>78292887
The trailer looked shit, but its actually pretty good so far.
8/10
>>
Watched the first episode
I thought it was insanely uncomfortable and hit too close to home for me
Also there wasn't really anything to laugh at
I get that it's based on Bill Burr's dad but I seriously find him unlikeable or funny in any way. Just very mean spirited show in general
>>
>>78303536
but the show is supposed to be a comedy? yet nothing he does is particularly funny?
stop trying to sell us the show shill
>>
>>78314319
He's a sympathetic asshole and his rigid family roles aren't supposed to be viewed positive but rather "This is just how things were" that affected not just the daughter and wife but the son as well. You're getting upset over nothing.
>>
It was a pretty good mini season, the very last scene with Vic in the last episode was really nice i thought it was neat to see all the characters develop and change some, except for the daughter she was just kind of there.
>>
At lot of people are saying they don't like the show because they can't really relate with the characters? What does that have to do with anything?
I didn't grow up in the 70s with a dad that hates his job and life, and I like the show just fine. It's the same reason I like American Dad, despite not having an Alien in my basement, or King of the Hill, even though I live nowhere near Texas.
>>
>>78315693
I think the problem is that they CAN relate to the characters but don't want to admit it to themselves.

That's why "I can't relate" is always such a big part of their arguments.

It's like watching a man who is adamantly trying to make a point how much he doesn't like the dick even though it's obvious he fucking loves the dick. His hatred for dick is only drawing more attention to his underlying struggle against loving the dick.

They don't want their fantasy personas, the person they want to be, the person they think they are, to be cracked wide open to reveal what kind of person they really are on the inside after all the superficial masks and social theatre acts are stripped away.
It makes them uncomfortable.
>>
I watched it yesterday. Great stuff.
>>
>>78314319
radfem pls go
>>
>>78315386
>having a different opinion
>being a shill
This is what we've become /co/ , we used to be love.
>>
As a guy who grew up in a home with a multiple addiction having, anger prone father figure; this gives me a weird balance of bad flashbacks and good laughs. Plus, lol at the kids thinking the jew is a nazi and 'the cool guy' being a Matthew McConaughey clone
>>
>>78314319
don't you have tits in videogames to complain about?

>>/out/
>>
>>78314319
Why can't he be a sympathetic patriarch, AND a flawed human?
The whole point is he's a miserable arsehole, but he's trying hard to provide for his family.
>>
>>78318751
He's not a Nazi, he has that weird Star thingy hanging from his rear-view mirror. Dude's a Satanist.
>>
>>78314370
>I am incapable of beating up or physically intimidating an old man.
Jesus H Christ, grow a fucking pair.
>>
>>78315693
It doesn't have to be superficial characteristics people relate to. You don't have to be a Texan propane salesman to relate to stuff like being set in your ways while being presented with new and uncomfortable ideas. You could also relate to seeking the approval of your father, or having a son you have nothing in common with. If you don't relate to those, you can probably still appreciate what the characters go through.

And also even if you don't relate to the characters, there's usually some kind of charm or comedic exaggeration that makes the character endearing or make them sympathetic. It's hard for some people to relate to or be sympathetic toward a man just festering in anger and taking it out on his kids while being played completely straight.
>>
>>78317131
Oh that's right. We're just lying to ourselves because we secretly identify as a boiling pot of rage and bitterness who verbally abuse our children.

Get outta here with that armchair psychology.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (19 KB, 225x209) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
19 KB, 225x209
Porn of the loli when?
>>
>>78319959
But anon, some of us can.
>>
>muh realistic childhood
>muh cartoon is realistic
>muh cartoon is REAL about a REAL childhood

That doesn't stop the actual show from being banal, crass and ineffectual. It feels more like Bill Burr having a pity party and trying to disguise it as a comedy (much like his stand-up, actually.)

I mean Morel Orel did this better and funnier, because it was actually emotionally hard-hitting when it wanted to be and funny when it wanted to be. This show does neither of these things as well as Morel Orel.
>>
>>78319995
You do.
You don't like it but you do.
>>
>>78319995
That other anon's post hit a little too close to home?
>>
>>78312778
>tfw this joke would fall flat in home country
>>
>All these people saying they couldn't enjoy because they couldn't relate.

I'm a black millennial who grew up with a single mother and I think it's a pretty decent show.

I don't understand the need to have personally experienced a dad like Frank in order to enjoy the show.
>>
>>78312778

This was the best sketch by a mile.
>>
>>78321113
i think you just need some average parents willing to hit you to be able to get this show at least a little

any of the fairies who dont, im gonna call them out on being too loved as a child. probably making shitty art as we speak.
>>
>>78321151

Well, my mum was pretty strong. She wouldn't physically beat us, but she was basically Lois from Malcolm in the Middle, so maybe that's distorting my views a bit.
>>
>>78320188
>muh fee fees
>>
>>78294044
I agree. My wife started watching this and I had to ask her to turn it off because it was making me kind of nauseous just having to listen to it. At the very least she agreed it was bad.
>>
>>78300660
You're a fucking retard.
>>
Wow, another animated comedy family show!
>>
So basically the people that didn't like the show are feminist progressives. Makes me like it even more.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-19-17h43m38s130.png (212 KB, 721x406) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-19-17h43m38s130.png
212 KB, 721x406
>>78320095
I'll see what I can do, but I got a lot of house cleaning to do today, and I'm kinda a slow/mediocre artist to begin with so don't expect anything anything soon... or good
>>
>>78295251
Yeah he's way too realistic.

My dad is exactly like this and it triggers me.
>>
>>78292887
Tried watching it yesterday. Had to turn it off halfway through the first episode. It was just bad. It wasn't funny. I hate modern comedies, but even I can find some laughs in Family Guy or South Park or whatever. This made me wish I hadn't wasted my time.
>>
>>78301388
It's the first episode. The first episode is always mediocre.
>>
>>78303088
>the character on the left is actually female.
>>
>>78323200
Are you fucking with me?
>>
>>78320095
porn of the fucking MOM when?
>>
>>78323281
I'm just guessing, that's all. Wouldn't shock me if there was a reveal later on.
>>
>>78323200
even if that was true, it changes nothing.
>>
>>78321151
>There are people who have been raised to think if parents aren't abusive then they aren't good parents
>>
>>78293920
>Burrs character the voice of reason
>>
>>78324241
Were your parents abusive, anon?
>>
>>78324241
You make shitty art, huh?
>>
>>78303299
>He's so tightly wound and horribly bitter that he seems like the tiniest thing could give him a heart attack.
That sounds pretty relatable.
>>
>>78324241
Ironically people on tumblr believe being an abusive parent is a good thing if you're non-white
>>
>>78324530
I wouldn't go as far as calling them abusive, but they would spank me as punishment. I remember once my dad whooped me right in front of my cousin because I was putting on my shoes in the kitchen when I was told to do it in the den.

I used to think "Hey, if it wasn't for all those spankings I wouldn't have been so well-behaved". But now I realize that being so afraid of getting spanked pushed me too far in that direction and made me miss out on a lot of experiences and made me not stand up for myself a lot of times when I should have.

Now I'm almost 20 wishing I could go back and have the childhood shenanigans I was too scared of getting spanked to have.
>>
>>78324530
lol, I was thinking the same thing. Most of the people ITT who are pitching a fit about spanking kids are jumping straight to full on abuse, putting kids in the hospital, or making them afraid for their lives. They aren't acknowledging any kind of middle ground, or the fact that you can spank kids without being abusive or a bad parent.

It's also kinda funny how despite all the bitching about the dad in this series being abusive, no one has acknowledged that he never once actually lays a hand on his kids. He's all hot air.
>>
>>78325796
>and made me not stand up for myself a lot of times when I should have

Pussy.
>>
>>78325948
Do you think when a child grows up hearing their parents say stuff like "I will put you through a fucking wall" they think "Oh, he's just being hyperbolic. He would never seriously hurt me", or do you think they believe "My parents will literally give me a severe injury if I upset them"?

Even when they inevitably get older and realize that their parents won't do this (unless it turns out the parents actually are physically abusive), it still fucks them up to spend years of their lives believing they will. Even once you know the truth intellectually, it's still burned into the back of your head from years of conditioning.
>>
>>78303299
>Bojack Horseman used the word "fuck" exactly once per season and you know what? It hit really hard each time.
I watched all of Bojack and I don't remember fuck being used. So fuck off it didn't hit home you just want to be some shit who thinks cursing shouldn't be used in media like it is in real life.
>>
File: dat jesus.png (491 KB, 1281x648) Image search: [Google]
dat jesus.png
491 KB, 1281x648
Just marathoned the show.

Like BoJack Horseman, the intro was fucking superb. Where BoJack's intro had this amazing "moving through life but not moving at all" theme to it this show had this great "freedom of adulthood to soar OH SHIT IT'S LIFE COMING CRASHING DOWN" thing going on. As someone who is about to be a dad it speaks to me.

The show itself was pretty good and despite being set in 1973 the premise didn't wear itself out thin. I like a lot of the period jokes, like the crime show's special effects. The cast has it's own charms, and I kept getting this Matthew McConaughey/Mr. Peanutbutter vibe off of the neighbour Vic. The only character I couldn't stand was the daughter. She's not even comparable to Louise Belcher in that there's no redeeming qualities to her.

Also there were some great visual gags hidden in the show, like this little gem
>>
>>78326184
Well yeah, he is VERY verbally abusive. There is no arguing with that. Just pointing out that he is never even implied that he hurt his kids physically.

Also, Bill is probably old enough by now to understand it's hyperbolic.
>>
>>78303536
>>78303706
>>78315386
This is for you

>>78307603
>>
>>78326184

Humans are pack animals, bro. Particularly in their formative years, human children respond best to an authoritative alpha. It's part of the reason children of single mothers almost always turn out so fucked up.

Psychologically they need an angry papa bear to set boundaries and limitations.
>>
>>78326285
Nice straw man you built there.
>>
>>78305850
>Netflix is a fucking shit pool of tumblr-tier fuckery
What about Bojack? I never really got the impression of political correctness from it. Diane was really the most tumblr thing and she was shit on a lot.
>>
Grew up without my dad in my life (still never met him) and it seems that's a big part of this show. Am I not gonna enjoy this or what? I'm downloading it now just curious on whether it's "for" me like a couple anons said.
>>
>>78327151
You won't enjoy it if you have to relate to everything to enjoy anything.

You can enjoy things without relating to him.
>>
File: 1420607575695.jpg (69 KB, 540x943) Image search: [Google]
1420607575695.jpg
69 KB, 540x943
>>78323200
Underaged girls with hair covering their eyes is my fetish.
>>
For something that randomly appeared on Netflix it was pretty good.

Intro is great, characters seem reasonably well-rounded.
It doesn't have a super strong hook or a super funny sequence to grab you right off the bat though, which may turn off some people. Thats a shame.
>>
>>78292887

The show is very much like Bojack horseman in that the main characters are assholes, and it takes a few episodes (~3) to actually get the show. IMO, this is it's biggest flaw. Bojack's first three episodes are pretty bad, it takes a while for it to get good. This show is the same way but by the time you start truly understanding the characters the show is over.

Yeah, the father is a jerk who keeps on threatening to beat his kids senseless. There's no excusing this. He's a verbally abusive asshole, but he loves his family and has the best interest at heart for his family, for his friends and for his company. He's just a product of his time and doesn't know any better. In one of the episodes it's mentioned that the oldest actually has brain damage from drowning for 2 minutes in the pool, the dad thinks he can yell the brain damage out of the son. Anyone who's ever dealt with children or teens knows you can't yell the anything out of kids, yet the father just doesn't know any better.

The mother is similiar, she's supposed to be happy. She has what wives should have, kids a husband to take care of. Yet her entire life is meaningless. When she yells out how sometimes she wishes she had never gotten married because her life is so... lifeless.

The oldest son is a good kid who's a little bit slow. He wants to get good grades and be a good kid, but either he doesn't know how or lacks the capacity to do it. With the right support he could get good grades. He's not getting that support in this family.

The middle boy is dealing with the conflicting and contradictory commands of don't be a pussy, and do what you're told without questioning me (i.e. act like a pussy).

The little girl has the weakest characterization, but it's apparent that she's more interested in being a boy then a little girl. She keeps on choosing male costumes for Halloween.

It's an interesting show and worth watching.
>>
>>78326675
>armchair psychologists
>>
shilling pretty hard there netflix
>>
Who here didn't think Frank was even that abusive. He didn't hit his family and he only yelled when kids did something wrong.

I think Frank is more relatable if you listen to Burr's podcast.

Also, I recently realized that the show is very reminiscent of A Christmas Story. Similar settings and characters.
>>
>>78327215
Yeah that isn't me, just started it and it seems pretty ok so far.
>>
>>78295251
If you keep talking like that

[I SWEAR. TO FUCKING GOD. I WILL PUT YOU THROUGH A FUCKIN' WALL.]
>>
>>78329456
My mom did similar stuff, and I came out fine, the only real issue being that I can't help but curse in every sentence I say.
>>
>>78323058
Sweet
>>
>>78292887

2 episodes in and I like it a lot. It's really enjoyable to watch. Second episode has some heavy undertones, though. Also is the black baggage handler a Patrice homage?
>>
Just finished watching it tonight. I was leery at first because I thought it might take the Family Guy route and make everyone a terrible person that revels in said terribleness. Overall, though, I found the characters to be relatively realistic. Everyone has their ups and downs, and there are efforts made so that no one in the family is just a two-dimensional archetype.

I didn't find many of the jokes gut busting, but the show did keep me grinning, and the overarching story did keep me engrossed. I like that they went with a serial story, and hope they continue doing it in a second season (assuming it's made). It's a really nice change of pace from most animated comedies that "reset" everything. The longer runtime (episode-length wise) also helped quite a bit, I feel.
>>
>>78312796
thats not the name of the airline
>>
>>78323058
Maybe we can even look forward too Billy talking about R34 of his show on his podcast.
>>
>>78314861
>>
I literally crack up every time he says he's gonna put someone through the fucking wall

8/10 show.
>Funny MC
>Hot mom who doesnt ruin the fun
>Oldest brother isnt as annoying as he seems in trailer. Actually reminds me of my older brother minus the emo "fuck everything" attitude and drugs
>youngest son isnt useless
>daughter is a QT and not annoying like every sister in every animated show
>side characters are fun as shit

the only issue is that it could use more female nudity. especially the mom. It's Netflix and you showed a grown man's hairy balls. Push further.
>>
Watched the first episode and thought it sucked, should I bother to keep watching?
>>
>>78292887
>black
>feminist
you can't have both
>>
>>78331854
No. You just have bad taste.
>>
>>78331647
I liked the neighbor who knew exactly what as going on every single time
>>
>>78331854
It gets a little better. The voice acting improves and there are some really funny gags. Also it gets pretty dark at times. It's a realistic-type of dark humor, so it's different from family guy.
>>
>>78331885
Obese Boss was best side character
>>
>>78331931
And David Koechner was the perfect person to voice him. His recording on the tape was hysterical.
>>
>>78331966
aww fuck. now I wanna re-watch the entire series.
>>
>>78331989
I just started my second watch. I can't believe I missed out on Bill's father mentioning Ed's meeting to show off his new tie in the beginning of the first episode. Makes his death that more tragic/comic.
>>
>>78321113

>I'm a black millennial who grew up with a single mother

Really didn't need to include the second part there pham
>>
File: image_28.jpg (86 KB, 604x558) Image search: [Google]
image_28.jpg
86 KB, 604x558
>>78331931
> Y-you wouldn't throw my keys would you?
> No.... I'm gonna put em at the one place you can't reach..... at your feet.
Based Frank.
>>
>>78331868

>not knowing THE LOVELY NIA EVERYBODY
>>
>>78332165
inb4 he freezes to death, and Frank is promoted to manager of the airport as the next most senior employee, since the paperwork to fire him was never filed
>>
>>78294380
Which of the characters is young Bill Burr?
>>
>>78332365
the child named Bill, you twit
>>
>>78331879
Maybe

>>78331916
Yea I thought the voice acting was bad, I don't like the art either. Dark is fine and I'm not expecting or wanting Family Guy but this just wasn't very funny to me.

Idk how to describe it exactly but to me it felt like they're trying too hard.
>>
>>78332365
Bill, genius.
>>
>>78323058

More of the shota
>>
>>78332365
The only one who is a ginger
>>
>>78292887

is that Bill Hicks?
>>
>>78332443
incest it is. Will crosslink when it's done so long as there is a thread going.
>>
Did Bill Burr have a little sister that pegged him or something? That's the vibe I get from the daughter.
>>
I have a hard time hearing bill burr's lines and not just imagining him sitting in front of a mic recording lines. Been listening to his podcasts too long to accept his character yet.
>>
>>78292887

Just finished episode 3. God damn the TROUGH and the guys in there takes me back to Three Rivers Stadium as a kid.
>>
>>78325796
My dad tried to strangle me once and I never had a problem standing up for myself. It's not his fault you're a fucking faggot.
>>
>>78332796
I dont know if I would go that far, but it is pretty much standard for younger siblings to be superior to their older siblings at the same age. The older kids have to learn from their own mistakes. The youngest can learn from watching all their older siblings fuck up, without making those same mistakes themselves. That's why it's a pretty commonly accepted oldest siblings are shit, and youngest ones are the smartest.
>>
>>78325796
Spanking's aren't abuse, you're just a little bitch.
>>
File: 1442429778015.png (395 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1442429778015.png
395 KB, 500x375
>>78331885
>Heya, Bill. Filled with rage?
>Heya, Sue. Bit off more than you could chew?
>>
Frank really grew on me by the end of the Halloween episode - how he let Maureen be Mr.coconut was nice.
>>
>>78325796
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, anon, but your dad was an abusive shit. I say this as someone who was spanked by 3/3 authority figures in my life when it was deserved, but not to the point i would call abuse on any level. It really seems to me that your dad was really trying to put you in your place more than he was trying to keep you from fucking up.

Seriously your dad was literally the kind of asshole who gets mad and abusive over subordinates not respecting him enough to do everything he says to the fucking letter.
>>
>>78314319
SHOCK
HORROR

A father figure in a cartoon which isn't a complete pushover!
>>
>>78323058
Got a tumblr or anything to post it on?
>>
>>78336037
NOPE but I been meaning to start one. I usually just post on /pco/ and/or paheal with crosslinks back here. If you really care, I go by the name Mouseball
>>
I keep waiting for a punchline but nothing about this show is funny.

Things happen and he flips his shit. Rinse and repeat.

At least Bojack is actually funny in how depressing it is.
>>
>>78332621
>>78336178
>crosslink
Just a warning, you might still get banned or warned for that. At the least, your post may still get deleted.
>>
>>78336178
Examples of your work?
>>
File: 1207270834_1.jpg (27 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1207270834_1.jpg
27 KB, 400x300
>>78292986
>AV Club has to keep apologizing that the show is so un-PC

Wait...are we talking the AV Club owned by The Onion?!?
>>
>>78336303
>bojack is so le depressing xD
>DAE FEELS?
>>
>>78338014
This guy >>78292986 just wants something to be mad about.
. The AV articlie basicly says: Don't think this show is Family Guy -like edgy bullshit. The trailer is not representative.
>>
>>78338032
Really? Just seeing the name triggers you?
>>
>>78300660
> I don't even self-identify as feminist

Yet I bet you use words like "problematic" or "privilege" every day.
>>
>>78338312
No, I actually like Bojack but I didn't get fucking -sad- watching it. It's almost as annoying when people say they like shows because they are comfy.
>>
>>78326184
It's called setting boundaries. There's a reason a lot of people are so fucked up today and that's their parents having set 0 limits or boundaries on their behavior as children. Respecting your parents enough to listen to what they have to say is an essential part of a healthy upbringing.
I think Frank goes overboard with the yelling and rage, but your children being a little afraid of being punished by you is not a terrible thing.
You can even see that Frank wouldn't get unreasonably or randomly upset at his children to the point of beating them, they always have behavior that caused his ranting and raving. When he fucks up, he doesn't blame it on them, he takes responsibility and sets an example for his kids on honoring agreements (getting his son tickets to the rock show event though he hates the neighbor) and being a strong provider. He even knows when to apologize, both to his kids and his wife.
He's an asshole in a lot of ways, but his life isn't easy and it didn't go the way he wanted it. He's also kind at heart (giving a jacket to the neighbor, working extra so his friend can see his daughter being born) and loves his family.
I wouldn't consider him abusive, just a hard man coming from a hard life.
>>
The Christmas episode was oddly heartwarming.
>>
>>78295251
Is he reminding you of your father, anon? Are gonna make a tumblr blog about it too?

>Through the fucking wall you go.
>>
File: squidward's ptsd.jpg (33 KB, 278x321) Image search: [Google]
squidward's ptsd.jpg
33 KB, 278x321
>>78300660
>>
Art of the dog and kids when?
>>
>>78292986
Is there anyone up their own ass more than the people who read AV club?
>>
File: 54129013_p0.png (62 KB, 612x792) Image search: [Google]
54129013_p0.png
62 KB, 612x792
>no freckles

ONE JOB
>>
>>78344220
Put freckles on him yourself.
>>
>>78308113
>>
>>78295353
Underrated post right here.
>>
>>78344220
>Porn already
That was quick.
>>
I'd give it a 6/10. Frank and Sue are well made characters. Kevin and Bill need some more fleshing out. Maureen is a bad character, and beyond the family characters become stereotypes or one note sketches. I'd like to see a more full run of 12 or even 20 episodes. I almost feel like this season was an extended pilot, and you could tell a lot of rough edges sort of like a pilot.
>>
>>78349642
>Bill needs more fleshing out
I thought he had a good amount of character to him. He is based on Bill Burr as a kid, after all.
>>
File: da butt.png (1 MB, 1405x789) Image search: [Google]
da butt.png
1 MB, 1405x789
No matter how much they make her ass stick out I just can't fap to this loli. What's wrong with me /co/?
>>
>>78350022

She is a turbo cunt.
>>
File: f is for family.png (1 MB, 1407x789) Image search: [Google]
f is for family.png
1 MB, 1407x789
>>
>>78344220
It's not like his entire body is out in the sun enough for freckles, you know?
>>
>>78350022
It means you're slowly returning to being normal.
>>
File: exploitable.jpg (151 KB, 1403x789) Image search: [Google]
exploitable.jpg
151 KB, 1403x789
>>78350326
>>
>>78350022
Are you sure this isn't more your style?

>>78344220
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.