[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It hurts, senpai...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (202 KB, 819x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202 KB, 819x1024
Galaluna will never be saved, will it? Why was Genndy's best show cancelled?
>>
>>78289362
It did shit in merchandising.

Just get over it and watch your fucking Samurai Jack
>>
>>78289362
because action shows only works if the toys sells.if they dont, good night sweet princes.
>>
>>78289362
>Why was Genndy's best show cancelled?

Not made with toy sales in mind.
>>
>>78289520
Samurai Jack is shit desu
>>
Network execs wanted it to be more like Ben 10 so they could use it to sell toys

Genndy said no

So they kicked his ass out and cancelled it
>>
Samurai Jack got back, so i have some hope for this show too.
>>
Honestly, this show is overrated. It doesn't feel like a Genndy production, it feels like the typical snarky "hipster" shows CN has had since 2010.

I found a lot of the character designs to be downright hideously frightening. While it's nice to have various designs beyond generic attractiveness, some characters were just so horrendous-looking that I counted down the seconds until the camera switched off their faces.

Next was the school drama theme. This is one of my LEAST favorite genres and I wish that action shows with teenage leads would stop tying in high school into the story. I'm more interested in the ACTION, not the stupid test out hero is worried about. To me, it's a poor means of making the characters seems relatable, as if some overhyped guy was screaming 'Hey look, this guy has teenage troubles, just like you! Except he has superpowers. And stops bad guys from potentially killing hundreds of people. But he still has a curfew, so he's JUST like you!' Unless kids can relate to having a crime-fighting/ monster-mashing alter ego, I don't think simply putting the heroes in high school counts as making them relatable.

SBT seems to be the case. I don't know, to me the whole 'We just crash-landed on a foreign planet, let's go to high school to blend in' theme seemed kind of weak for the tone of the show. CN advertised it with the tag line 'Clash is in session' when the show didn't really focus much on school life. Quite a few episodes took place OUT of school and turned out to be some really good ones, like Tashy 497 and the one where Illana turns into a monster. Heck, some episodes even took place in SPACE. The show just seemed too BIG and Science-fiction-y to be condemned to school dance episodes and bullies.

SBT was a show that I couldn't help but feel like it didn't know WHAT kind of show it wanted to be. I for one could've lived WITHOUT the high school setting.
>>
>>78289914
I don't get how this doesn't feel like typical Genndy, and I have no idea where you're getting hipster snark from. I agree with the high school setting being unnecessary.
>>
File: shiggysamurai.png (245 KB, 500x456) Image search: [Google]
shiggysamurai.png
245 KB, 500x456
>>78289839
>imblying glorious Genndy isn't going to use his experience with Sym-Bionic Titan to energize the Samurai Jack franchise

it gon' be cash
>>
They are in all his shows, but it went overboard with anime tropes in this, the Sasuke protagonist was awful too.
>>
>>78289914
We'll get you a safe space that you can go to next time it airs. We had no idea you were so troubled and triggered by the monsters. Would it help if we changed the monsters by making them sparkle in sunshine?
>>
>>78289914
I'm fairly certain Genndy would've tried a different approach than using school as a setting. However I have a feeling someone above him made that decision. Probably someone who same some anime and thought it'd be more interesting that way.

That aspect could've been done in a much better fashion. By removing school from the picture. It probably would've had them holding a job at a shopping centre or such instead though. So you'd have gotten similar results with a different back drop.
>>
>>78289520
>>78289548
More like CN couldn't get any toy deals for action shows after Secret Saturdays shat the bed. Generator Rex got some because Bandai was making money on Ben 10, which had the same creators, but otherwise, Titan was fucked.

>>78289563
A show with robots and monsters would sell toys, executives were just afraid of Ilana just like how Mattel refused to make any of the girls from Avatar as action figures resulting in a million Aang and Sokka variants.
>>
>>78289362
It was a shit show and the production was falling apart from the start.
I'm glad this weeb shit got cancelled.
>>
>>78289362
This show is great. Just now discovered it (missed the tv run, due to watching shows on Noggin while it was on), and currently downloading from Kisscartoon
>>
>>78290013
Yeah, nothing is ever Genndy's fault. All some invisible executive.
>>
>>78290180
Its true, though it wasn't really an "Invisible" executive Synder crippled the Animation Department and they pretty much had nobody left towards the end cept Pendleton Ward and few others.

Reason things went the way they did, approval of a handful of the leaked shorts from McCracken's What a Cartoon Revival and Education show, and the show Ward had pitched to Nick many moons ago.
>>
>/co/ still being retarded about SBT's cancellation

It's been years and you people still spread these bullshit rumors and suppositions.

For the last time, it wasn't toys or executive meddling, it's that Genndy was always in competition with Lucasarts and CN with scheduling against The Clone Wars, technically making the show doomed from the start.
>>
>>78289914
>>78289950
>>78290013

Are you sure you guys watched the show?

Cause Lance gave absolutely no fucks about going to school and was openly agaisnt the retarded Idea, and only went along with it, because he was ordered to do it.

The Ilana got a heavy slap across the face for trying to be the cheerful YES WE CAN girl.

About the only one that seemed to enjoy the "school" setting was Octus, and thats because he was just created and enjoyed the meatbag interactions.

If anything, this is the first time I kinda enjoyed the school setting mostly because thy kept BTFO out of expected conventions.

There was no "Im so worried about the test" shit at all.
>>
>>78291014
>Genndy was always in competition with Lucasarts and CN with scheduling against The Clone Wars

Hilarious how CN rode on that horse, just to get tossed aside like a used whore once Disney bought Lucas.
>>
>>78291014
Plus he's hard to work with I hear.
>>
>>78289563
This show is tailor made to sell toys you fucking faggot.

They just didn't make any.
>>
>>78290013
Are you retarded, this show is a love letter to Super Robot shows form Japan. The school setting was non-negotiable. I was surprised there wasn't also a super energy lab or some shit that the character hung out at after class.
>>
>>78291133
I'm pretty sure THAT'S the main problem.
>>
The reason Sym-Binoic Titan failed is because the show wasn't very good.
>>
>>78289914
I respect that you have an opinion, but i dont respect your opinion
>>
>>78292892
Or because Genndy degenerated into a complete fucking retard.
>>
>>78292892
>>78292956
Probably neither of those, since the show was good and retards don't make good shows.
>>
As I watched first few episodes, I felt strong sense of deja vu because I liked this show more when it was produced in Japan, called Full Metal Panic!, had better design and could actually depict serious themes seriously once in a while.

I also had dreadful feeling that it will be focusing on Lance who seemed like the most boring kind of protagonist possible. So I turned it off and never came back ever again.
>>
>>78292564
the main robot is a combining robot that literally cannot be made into a toy. You're retarded, the robot design was horrible, and the show deserved to die an early death
>>
>>78291074
Maybe that's why they went back to him and asked if he wanted to do more Samurai Jack since that was his most popular thing and people had been asking about it.

Seriously, about mid July everyone I know seemed to be going,
"You know what would be cool? If they made more episodes of Samurai Jack. You guys remember that show?"

Then BAM
This happens
>>
File: 1443806893559.jpg (11 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
1443806893559.jpg
11 KB, 500x372
>>78289362
Wasn't it because the writer/creator quit out of the blue and went to sony?
>>
>>78293209
Do you dress yourself in the morning?

Since fucking when have toys ever been 100% show accurate? Ever? You fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>78293209
>literally cannot be made into a toy
>see through plastic
>random blue shit on the inside
>really fucking simple and iconic design
what?
>>
>>78289563
> show themed around giant robots
> no toy potential

This goes triple for Motorcity

Is there any chance that either time can continue in the future on Netflix or have they lost the characters to the CN and Disney vaults?
>>
>>78296142
He probably meant the toys can't combine into a bigger one.
>>
>>78289520
>did shit in merchandising
They didn't make any fucking merch, of course it did poorly.
>>
>>78289914
>>78290013
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sym-Bionic_Titan
>his biggest influence were John Hughes movies like Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club
It was a good decision, you just have terrible taste.

You're criticizing the show for a conscious decision that you personally don't like; it wasn't that it was poorly executed, it's that you aren't vibing on the mech/high school fusion.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.