[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does a show on a low rated tv network manage to do better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 16
How does a show on a low rated tv network manage to do better super-speed special effects than a $300m budget hollywood blockbuster?
>>
It doesn't
>>
>>78261933
You aren't talking about the Flash, are you?
Because as cool as it is to see, they're not really that good of effects.
>>
>>78261933
It dosen't
>>
>>78261933

Quicksilvers super speed was handled so piss poorly in Avengers that anybody who says it didn't is a fool. Theres a part where quicksilver is going at super speed while cap is slapped like a bitch by ultron and they're both moving at the same speed
>>
>>78262213
the fight after the omelet line or something else?
>>
>>78261933
Flash is shit anon.
>>
File: 1389715623320.jpg (67 KB, 339x619) Image search: [Google]
1389715623320.jpg
67 KB, 339x619
>>78261933
You might want to check your eyesight out, OP. Glasses aren't that expensive.
>>
File: mcucks.jpg (154 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mcucks.jpg
154 KB, 1920x1080
Fox Quicksilver > MCu
>>
>>78262699
IRL hedgehogs>MCU Quicksilver
>>
>>78262699
/thread
>>
>>78261933
fuck, they didnt even bother to give the asshole a proper suit, they just gave him a blue under armor shirt. Terrible boring movie.
>>
>>78261933
It doesn't.
>>
>>78262782
yes, yes it does.
>>
>>78262213
yea this.

The scene where quicksilver is running slowmo at cap and eveyrthing is in slowmo YET THEY HAVE CAP MOVING SAME SPEED AS QUICKSILVER. Like come on
>>
They were so fucking lazy they just sped up footage and used some gray/blue streaks. Literally u can see footage around them moving sped up speed its embarrasing.

Flash has better graphics but they are way cheaper bc they know how to use them correctly
>>
They probably wanted to differentiate him from the Fox version, and as a result they tried some dumb-looking blur effects.
>>
>>78262759

They're not gonna give a cool design to a character who is gonna die off soon.
>>
>>78261933
>how does DC invent the literal modern God of Speed to the point that literally no Marvel hero can surpass him in any medium
>>
>>78263554
Still a better design than 99% of his other costumes. Poor guy has shit luck with outfits.
>>
>>78261933
>Avengers
>nice superspeed visuals
>legit physics

>Flash
>mediocre visual effects
>lol physics
>lol thunder
>>
>>78263706
>>78263706
Im more impressed about rookie superman moving 900 times faster than quicksilver, i seriously dont know what they can do with the flash to make it the fastest man alive.
>>
File: 1443157925575.jpg (15 KB, 236x234) Image search: [Google]
1443157925575.jpg
15 KB, 236x234
>that CGI Thor in the HYDRA raid scene
>>
>>78262915
>>78262213
??? This doesn't happen.
>>
Half of the budget went to RDJ's salary.

The CGI was so fucking bad in some parts.
>>
>>78261933
I love the Flash but Marvel Quicksilver had better effects. But >>78262699 tops them both effects wise.

TV Flash is the only one I like as a character though, so there's that.
>>
>>78264777
Not even a minute into the movie and that part where he picks up a beam and swings it took me out of the movie for a second. Very poorly done.
>>
>>78261997
>not really that good of effects

Try
>the effects aren't so good
Next time.
>>
>>78265685
I loved RDJ as much as the next guy when this whole thing started but now I'm just tired of him. Taking all the screen time, money, and quipping all day long. If he dies I'll be sad and happy at the same time.
>>
>>78265740
I'm curious to see what the Cap team will do with his character, the last two Iron Man movies and the Avengers ones really made me sick of him.

I hope he's going to be better now that he's written by different people. The Cap writers made me like Black Widow, so it's possible they'll fix Stark too.
>>
>>78265771
True dat. And In Russos We Trust. Hopefully he'll be done well.

But fuck all that Cap vs. Iron Man shit, all I care about is more ANTS and Falcon.
>>
>>78262759
He's a runner, you really don't need more than that.
>>
>>78264695

Speedforce ============= LOL physics for fucks sake!
>>
I like mcu pietro and fox's Quicksilver
>>
>>78261933
you are full of shit and wheadon a hack
>>
File: best thor.jpg (103 KB, 500x707) Image search: [Google]
best thor.jpg
103 KB, 500x707
>>78264777
>that scene when he flying toward the car
why is MCU Thor so fucking bad?because they cant into magic.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NnyVc8r2SM

I suggest listening to these anons >>78265699 >>78262699 >>78262721
>>
File: 1447723421323.gif (2 MB, 250x194) Image search: [Google]
1447723421323.gif
2 MB, 250x194
>>78266656
>This Scene.
>>
>>78261933

I'm a DC fanboy but what the fuck are you talking about? I disliked Quicksilver as a character but the SFX were pretty good
>>
>>78261933
VS. The Flash or AoS... or Supergirl maybe?

But in any case, none of those.
Those are TV shows and look like TV shows.
And not one of them have striking visual effects due their budgets.

Quicksilver was good, nothing to write about but it showed him as a speedster, not a time stopper like Fox's Peter.
>>
AoU Quicksilver's effects weren't bad, they just weren't anything special. They weren't used as creatively as DoFP or The Flash does.
>>
>>78266656
A nice scene but void of any significance to the overall story and created a big plothole. More than a character a setpiece, and lame that they keep misinterpreting mutants' powers on films.

Quicksilver run fast, not stops time. Kitty Pryde just pass through things. Wanda alters reality. And do we really need Jean Grey having future visions?
>>
>>78266981
>Quicksilver run fast, not stops time

I didn't care for the fox version of Quicksilver either, but the time stopping stuff was clearly meant to be a visual cue for how fast he was moving.
>>
>>78262699
I can't wait to see what bullshit gets pulled in AoA so that he doesn't brake the plot entirely. I'm guessing he is on the team, but after the one big scene he gets depowered, hurt, or leaves the team to protect his siblings.
>>
>>78266656
I always thought that that would be how physics works for a speedster
>>
File: tumblr_nkpby0JDeo1th1illo6_500.gif (2 MB, 500x203) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkpby0JDeo1th1illo6_500.gif
2 MB, 500x203
>>78262213
>>78262915
>>78265459
I think they mean this one, where Cap falls fast because the viewer's speed changed from Quicksilver speed back to normal.
>>
>>78265740
I will watch Civil War purely to see him get his shit kicked in. I hope Cap wins the Civil War.
>>
>>78261933
You need a better screen.

Case in point: take out any DVD or BluRay with the THX logo. Play it. Go to the sound menu and select the THX logo there. This opens the THX calibration series.

Follow this test series. Most lower-end LCD displays (including fairly expensive tv's) will fail at or even before the third test - meaning you can watch the movie, but it will always seem dark because your screen is incapable of supporting that many colors simultaneously/that change in shade.

Now go back to your pissy little life watching tv shows made for nobodies like you that can't afford a real screen, and consequently don't have to bother finishing their effects because you literally can't see the levels where they fail anyway. Meanwhile, movies made for high-end projectors with better depth and contrast than any home screen will also continue to look like crap, because you can't see them properly either. In the void your mind will attempt to rationalise what seem to be flaws in one with the budget it must have received, and you will concur - inaccurately - that the larger budget was pointless and was wasted money.

Whereas in reality the only waste of money was yours, buying that shitty screen.
>>
>>78267918

AoU Quicksilver effects are still shit. Flash is better.
>>
>>78261933
Have a cock named Whedon in charge.
>>
>>78261933
Because quickslav had a target on his back from the get go.
>>
>>78263746

I liked his X factor one... And his house of m one.

Fuck his current VCR remote one though
>>
File: 4586135-kryptonian+speed.gif (3 MB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
4586135-kryptonian+speed.gif
3 MB, 500x209
Man of Steel > everything else

CANT CRACK THE ZACK

I hope they do the DCEU Flash in a similar style
>>
>>78268555
>1.jpg
>>
>>78268555
what videogame is this
>>
>>78268555
That looks horrible and has the same problem the Flash tv show has by not having any anticipations in the animation
>>
>>78267377
his head and everything is moving the same speed as quicksilver is before the speed changes to normal, thats what we mean
>>
>>78270385
>anticipations
>superspeed

anon
>>
File: 1437625886012.gif (2 MB, 336x154) Image search: [Google]
1437625886012.gif
2 MB, 336x154
>it's a console wars thread
>>
>>78266656
I love this scene, but it just made me realize how OP Quicksilver is. All the events of the film are rendered trivial because Quicksilver could've stopped it all from happening easily.

He seems to pretty much be the hardest mutant to stop by far that we've seen in these movies. No one can match his time cept for maybe Apocalypse. Would mind control even work on him? Considering he can just outrun everything?
>>
Agreed. I thought Man of Steel definitely did super speed burst combat really well.
>>
File: 1441985940190.jpg (22 KB, 324x375) Image search: [Google]
1441985940190.jpg
22 KB, 324x375
>its a speedster scene
>its a scene about a hero whos only gimmick is to GOES FUCKING FAST
>its a scene to show these powers in full glory
>the scene is in slow-mo
>>
>>78264750
supes didnt even run that fast in mos
>>
File: kickassquicksilvers.jpg (112 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
kickassquicksilvers.jpg
112 KB, 500x500
>>78262699
I love that both of them were in Kick Ass together.

I like'em both.
>>
>>78261933

Whedon shoots everything like a cheap tv show regardless of the budget. It's his background and comfort zone. The Guggenheim, Kreisberg and Berlanti types are used to having no money but trying to make movie level stuff.

That's probably why I'm more interested in what CW does then what Disney does at this point.
>>
>>78264695
>doesn't know the difference between lightning and thunder
>>
>>78267447
i hope it doesnt end like the comic.shit made me mad as hell
>>
What pisses me off is that he's dead. We'll never see a better director handle Quicksilver.
>>
>>78275318
He'll be back! Just you watch! ;-;
>>
>>78275143
>sleeves go halfway up the hand
get a fucking shirt that fits
>>
>>78270826
Well, yeah. Of course it is. He gets hit by something moving super fast, so he starts moving super fast. That's just basic conservation of momentum.

It's actually why

>>78266656

is complete bullshit. When he throws that plate, it slows down after he throws it. It should have kept moving at the same speed. When he pushes the bullets with his fingers, they should keep going in that direction. Everything he influences should keep moving at whatever speed he put it at, not all explode at once once he "stops going fast".
>>
>>78275412
That is a shirt that fits moron. They actually make those kinds of shirts. If you look at his right hand you can see the sleeve has a hole for his thumb to stick out of. Is it dumb? Yes. But that doesn't make it a shirt that doesn't fit.
>>
File: The Movement.png (527 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
The Movement.png
527 KB, 600x400
DoFP QS > AoU QS > CW Flash

DoFP and AoU are movies, and have much bigger budgets and production values for the speed effects.

Especially DoFP which inverted the traditional concept of super speed and spent more time in the user's perspective, instead of just showing a blur. The movie displayed the little details which come from instantaneously accelerating a person's body - the cracks created by Pietro's feet, the transference of motion and force to whatever Pietro touches, etc.

AoU did a poorer job of this, by playing super speed straight. However, this could be said about how bland Joss Whedon is as a director.

Regardless, AoU QS's movement looked more real in the sense that it looked like it had more "weight" to it. You could actually envision the force Pietro exerts when he smashes into something, or the inertia buildup he displays when he tries changing directions.

CW Flash has neither of those things. To be fair, this is mainly because Flash's speed deliberately defies all the known laws of physics (Momentum, Inertia, Acceleration, etc.) via the Speedforce. Flash's movement also seems more striking because of the Yellow Speedforce Energy he leaves in his wake, making his movement look instantaneous. IIRC, Barry only showed the "slow time" around 4 times across both seasons.

TL;DR - Quicksilver generally shows more realism regarding the nature of super speed. Flash's speed is blatantly unrealistic and uninteresting to view, mainly because of the nature of his powers.
>>
>>78274395
Honestly, this is how fast the flash goes. Quicksilver doesn't go this fast.
>>
File: quicksliver.jpg (225 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
quicksliver.jpg
225 KB, 612x380
>>78275639
Comic Quicksilver has stated, multiple times, that his perception of reality moves so fast, that it's like looking at a static, unmoving picture all of the time.

Unlike the Flashes, Quicksilver can't control his perception of time - it's always at it's fastest, which is why he seems so fidgety.
>>
>>78270826
If you're hit at super speed, then obviously your head will move back at super speed. It's not like Cap made the movement on his own volition.
>>
>>78275693
How does he even converse with people holy shit that sounds like hell
>>
>>78266981
>Quicksilver run fast, not stops time.
He doesn't stop time in that either. Everything just slows down on camera because he's moving so fast, the camera keeping pace with him.
>>
>>78275790
>He doesn't stop time in that either
Except he fucking does. Look at the plate he throws. If he hadn't stopped time it wouldn't slow back down again after he threw it
>>
>>78266981
Jean's can be explained within the scope of her powers easily enough though. She could be looking into the mind of a mutant whose ability is seeing the future. There, explained in a way that her power is still in line with how it works in the comic books. That said, they're obviously not doing that.
>>
>>78275821
It's not consistent with either stopped time or super speed. If he had stopped time, the plate wouldn't have moved at all after he let go. If he had super speed, it would have kept going.

Also if he had stopped time, either nothing would have moved after the time had been unstopped (because he imparted no energy to it and therefore it had no momentum) or there would have been a quantum nuclear explosion tearing apart reality (as he moved everything instantly and therefore imparted infinite energy to it)

Slowed time would presumably work exactly like super speed.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdXRbR6AtJg
Still the best use of super speed.
And as much as I hate Snyder's directing I'd place him as second because he understands how to use selective ramping to great effect.
>>
File: Zoom - 1.jpg (123 KB, 1050x591) Image search: [Google]
Zoom - 1.jpg
123 KB, 1050x591
>>78266981
Neither Flash nor Quicksilver can manipulate time. They're just extremely fast.

In Flash's case, a Time Manipulator is one of the very few non-Omnipotent types which can easily deal with him.

Slow down time to a crawl - to the point where even an femtosecond reaction time isn't fast enough, and there's nothing that he can do.
>>
>>78275940
No, it wouldn't. Slowed time would be incredibly similar to super speed, but not the same.
You wouldn't be able to run on walls if your power was slowed time. And if you had super speed when you throw something it wouldn't slow the fuck down immediately.

As cool as that scene is in DoFP, it's a weird combination of slowed time and super speed that doesn't make any fucking sense.
>>
>>78275821
he threw the plate then started going even faster
>>
>>78276076
No, there are inconsistencies with that as well. He pokes bullets with his fingers and they stop as soon as he removes his finger, but keep moving in their forward directions.

It's incredibly artistic and cool, and it shows a lot of what super speed is actually like, but it's not completely accurate. Likely for the sake of that same artistry, but I honestly think that it'd be even cooler with even more realism.
>>
File: DoFP.jpg (909 KB, 1920x817) Image search: [Google]
DoFP.jpg
909 KB, 1920x817
>>78275821
>It's not consistent with either stopped time or super speed. If he had stopped time, the plate wouldn't have moved at all after he let go. If he had super speed, it would have kept going.

Think of it like this. When Pietro (who's moving fast) touches the plate, the speed at which he touches it should instantly make it shatter, much less move. QS's powers are still bound by physics (unlike Flash's).

Pietro's body is accelerating, but everything else he touches is still "moving" at the same speed. Because of how fast he's moving, most objects don't have enough inertia to begin "moving" when he touches them.

Assuming most things he touches don't immediately shatter (which again, should happen at the speed that he's moving) then when Pietro lets go of the plate, it should still be in stasis, because even though the plate has been given a shitton of kinetic energy - Pietro is still maintaining his speed and velocity - constantly.

The Plate has a limited supply of Kinetic Energy because it's an inanimate object - it doesn't "create speed" like Pietro does. So it moves a little bit, but then immediately becomes "frozen" again, because the KE/Inertia threshold at that point is lower than Pietro's.

TL;DR - Quicksilver's power constantly creates kinetic energy. All other things in existence have a limited supply of KE, usually not enough to accelerate them to the point where their perceptions can keep up with Pietro.
>>
>>78276176
Except by throwing the plate QS has given the plate KE. Where the fuck does it go after he lets go of it? There ain't enough air resistance to slow it right the fuck back down.
>>
>>78276176
That's not how transference of energy works at all.
>>
File: Quicksilver is Feelin It.gif (332 KB, 602x245) Image search: [Google]
Quicksilver is Feelin It.gif
332 KB, 602x245
>>78276230
Again, you'r eright when you say it's not completely accurate.

First and foremost - the plate would shatter, immediately.

Assuming it didn't, then all of the air between Pietro's hand and the plate would either combust or oxidate.

Assuming that doesn't happen either, then Pietro would throw the plate for as long as it still has the Kinetic energy to move.

Again, you're right when you say that there's not enough air resistance to stop it - but from Pietro's perspective (which the audience sees) - he's still WAY too fast for the plate.

So the plate ends up moving so fast it either burns up or shatters when it reacts with the standard air pressure of the room (depending on exactly how fast it's moving).

>>78276291
Could you explain it to me then? I never did like physics.
>>
>>78276176
I hate when people who don't understand basic concepts like this try to sound smart by explaining them and tacking "whatever's" and physics words on,
>>
>>78276314
You're not fucking answering the question. By throwing the plate, Quicksilver has given it a certain amount of kinetic energy. That energy can't just magically vanish once he's let go.
>>
>>78266981

I'm just mad that they used Northstar but called him Quicksilver to spite Marvel
>>
>>78276351
It doesn't vanish, doesn't it remain in the plate when it moves as time resumes normally?

>>78276318
Again, I'm all ears for an explanation. I'm trying to make sense of this (even though there's no point.)
>>
>>78276381
>as time resumes normally
That's the point of this discussion you ding dong. Someone said he doesn't slow down time, when he clearly does.
>>
>>78276351
Maybe he didn't give it enough KE to move at his speed?
>>
>>78276381
KE energy doesnt dissapear, most probable explanation would be Pietro slowed down as he was throwing the plate then speeds ups, and the camera folows in pace, also he can go super fast which isnt the same as constantly generating KE
>>
>>78276445
It shouldn't be changing speed at all. It didn't move nearly far enough for air resistance to be a factor. Whether it's super speed or slowed time, that plate should be moving at the exact speed it's moving at when it leaves his hand for the rest of the scene.
>>
>>78276481
No offense, but how the fuck does QS move fast without an increase in KE?

He's not the fucking Flash.
>>
>>78276481
He didn't though. All the water droplets from the fire supression system were still suspended in the air and the muzzle flashes were still going on when he threw the plate.
>>
>>78276546
increasing KE and going super fast can be different, you can go super fast with fixed mass, or just move and constantly increase mass, i meant to say the werent exactly the same thing, just nitpicking
>>78276549
well, he changes speed a lot, but, Hollywood never got physics even for relistic movies like gravity, is just aestheistics
>>
Because not all $300m go on speed effects.
Think son.
>>
zoom>reverse flash thawne>x men quicksilver>flash>avengers quicksilver
>>
>>78275726
He once explained that every minute of every day was, to him, like standing in line at an ATM, and the person in front has no idea what they're doing.
>>
>>78268551
>Fuck his current VCR remote one though
I consider that one of his better ones.
>>
>>78279061
Yeah, honestly. Just take off the fast forward logo, and put on a lightning bolt, or maybe some sort of wind symbol, and it'd be perfect.
>>
>>78268555
Holy shit, that's awesome
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.