[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Romance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Gltas.jpg (476 KB, 1888x815) Image search: [Google]
Gltas.jpg
476 KB, 1888x815
Why does /co/ hate romance? I don't mean they hate bad romance or shipping, but the fundamental idea that romance is inherently bad for stories.

I just dont understand why there is this sentiment that such a fundamental part of the human experience should be excluded from character.

Of course the cheap answer would be" comics and cartoons are about punching and action and shit, not that girly 'kisssing' and 'feelings' stuff." Which I know is a stereotypical strawman that people only want lcd thrills, not well handled and fleshed out charcaters who are people and not just props to look cool and smash together like action figures.

So is it just jadedness? The traditional "curve" in comics and cartoons blocking out good romance promoting an image that romance is inherently bad? What's the dip?
>>
Romance is a lame motivation. It's literally just "I care for this person because my genitals ache for them"
It's on the same level as a villain being motivated because they are "evil" or greedy.

Political motivations > all other
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (28 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sddefault.jpg
28 KB, 640x480
>>78252765
HAHAHAHA
The worst part is you might actually be serious.
>>
I fucking love romance but well done once are pretty rare in every medium and even more so in /co/ material.
>>
Romance in /co/ media is usually trite as fuck or incredibly shallow. There's almost no depth and both characters seem more shallow for it, even if they're otherwise good characters. Romance with believability and depth requires careful planning and attention to details to make it seem natural, something the huge majority of writers in this industry are completely incapable of.
>>
Unloved virgins that make up /co/ get jealous and triggered.

Same thing happens every Valentines Day.
>>
>>78252707
But the vast majority of romances in /co/-related works are bad. At this point, it's not up to the audience to give it a chance, it's up to the creators to buck the trend.
>>
>>78253442
This. Romance is very hard to write well because it needs to be rooted in good, complex characters.
>>
>>78252765
Holy shit man. get help
>>
>>78252707
I dislike poorly done romance.

The sort of thing thrown in at the last minute between characters without chemistry.

Well written romance is great.
>>
>>78252707
The comic industry hates romance because some key people have the idea that a stable relationship is boring
>>
File: WEIRD Love 001-000.jpg (4 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
WEIRD Love 001-000.jpg
4 MB, 1988x3056
Old romance comics are fucking awesome though
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.