[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starbrand & Nightmask #1 Storytime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 25
Do you like Greg Weisman? Straight White Men with their Black Best Friends? Books that are doomed to get cancelled because only me and three other people give a shit about it?

Well boy do I have the comic for you! It's time for Starbrand/Nightmask #1
>>
>>78227390
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>Books that are doomed to get cancelled because only me and three other people give a shit about it?

This is the curse I carry so I guess I should read this
>>
>>
>>78227390
This was advertised so little I forgot it was coming out today. Welp. Time to settle into comfy and keikaku.
>>
>>
>>
>>
thanks OP, decent start, but I think they went overboard designing Imani
>>
>>78227532
Graviton?
>>
>>
And that's that. Please think about supporting this book if you enjoyed it. This is going to need literally every sale it can get to not be chucked on the chopping block. I know most other /co/mrades hate buying anything from Marvel but this is Weisman we're talking about. For once something needs to break his curse.
>>
>>78227631
And now Nitro.
>>
It was okay. The art kind of turned me off. I'll give it the three issue try.
>>
>>78227699
Oh Kong, always getting involved in shit way over your head.
>>
Should I know what the little drone floating around on some pages is, or is that a mystery?
>>
>>78227748
Embrace your cripplefu.
>>
>>78227564
>Bendis's self-insert survived
>>
>>78227945
Mystery. This is a Weisman book so you should always assume there's some evil mastermind controlling everything as part of some long unnecessarily complicated plan wherein every loss only furthers the plan.

Notice the guy in the hat here >>78227532 and >>78227631 ?
>>
>>78227575
Not sure why, but waifu material.
>>
>>78227575
Punished "Venom" Imani is my new waifu.
>>
>>78227914
Even in other universes.
>>
>>78227584
that's not squirrel buckteeth
that's just one massive sized narwhal tooth. She's like a baby with only one tooth
>>
>>78227806
Fuck off marvelshill
>>
>>78227454
>mandatory inhuman reference
*deep sigh*
>>
>>78227584
Greg let's not make this cameo a regular thing please.
>>
File: 1436903026037.gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
1436903026037.gif
3 MB, 420x300
>>78228342
>>
>>78227548
>I S2 Marvel

Oh c'mon, at least try.
>>
>>78227575
JUST WAIFU MY SHIT UP
>>
>>78228380
The book has literally not a single redeeming value.
And you want me to pay for it? Fuck off again.
>>
>>78227575
>Starbrand has a cripple fetish
Truly the guiltiest fetish of all.

Also
>This art
Like this book wasn't fighting hard enough to get readers.
>>
>>78227564
>>78227699
So just to confirm whatever doubt I have, this is really Kong?
>>
>>78228442
Yeah, it's Kong. Weisman said in an interview that he's bringing a number of supporting characters from Spectacular Spider-man over, Kong being one of them.
>>
>>78228426
The important part of the post you're replying to is
>if you enjoyed it
If you didn't enjoy it then obviously you shouldn't spend money on it.
>>
>>78227575
Third planetary defence system incomig.
>>
>>78228426
Keep memeing and shitposting on every Marvel storytime thread. You are totally doing something important with your life :^)
>>
>>78227518
Really, what college would take him in after what happened at his last one?
>>
>>78228523
What?
>>
So...are Graviton and Nitro being hijacked by cosmic forces because they are supposed to represent the two forces connected to the begining and end of reality.

Graviton: The Big Crunch - Post Head Death gravitational collapse of a universe

Nitro: The Big Bang - Start of everything expanding from one super condensed point

That's what I got.
>>
>>78228585
*post heat death.

ducking autocorrect
>>
>>78227610
That is bigger than some of the dorms I've lived in.
>>
>>78228585
That's what I gathered from it. And considering how powerful they are, it'd have to be some top-tier cosmic force to control them.
>>
>>78228527
Then one with a building named "Osborn Hall".
>>
>>78228495
Awww shit, is she gonna be Cipher?
Solicits for Issue 4 had Justice on the cover!
>>
File: IMPACT.jpg (42 KB, 600x626) Image search: [Google]
IMPACT.jpg
42 KB, 600x626
>>78227669
>Nitro
>at another school

This is how Civil War 2 is going to start.
>>
>>78227390
So what's the history of these characters? I mean, the book was okay, but now that I've read it it's kinda hard to support.
>>
>>78228824
Starbrand was part of 'the white event' which was supposed to create a variety of planetary defense systems.
Nightmask was hatched from an egg created by ex nihilo on mars. He's supposed to be a perfect human or some shit.

Read the White Event, event. Breddy gud. Along with Hickman's stuff
>>
>>78229063
>Read the White Event, event. Breddy gud. Along with Hickman's stuff
Ah, so you're one of these...
>>
>>78229226
>(I think Uncanny) Avengers
It was adjectivless Avengers.
>>
>>78228824
It's all based on an '80s series Marvel put out called New Universal, supposed to be a new universe of heroes set on a more realistic earth than Marvel's typical continuity.
The heroes would be inspired by Marvel heroes but they'd be their own thing, I think it ran for 3-4 years.
Then, in the early 2000s Ellis tried to revitalize the idea, reboot the whole thing. I don't think it made it past issue 6-7 even though it was fucking amazing.
Finally, Hickman created a new Nightmask and Starbrand, heavily inspired by Ellis' versions, during his (I think Uncanny) Avengers.
Throughout each iteration, they are people empowered by the Earth as a planetary defense system, ordinary people given these brands that make them Superhuman.
In each of them, the system is somehow broken or not working exactly as intended.
(sorry, replied to the wrong guy)

>>78229240
What this guy said.
I trade-waited all the Avengers stuff around then and read it all at once, it's sort of hard to keep the names straight.
>>
>>78229270
>Then, in the early 2000s Ellis tried to revitalize the idea, reboot the whole thing. I don't think it made it past issue 6-7 even though it was fucking amazing.

I really liked the Ellis reboot. Apparently he lose a hard drive around this time, along with all his Newuniversal stuff. Hence the reason it just ended.
>>
>>78229308
I loved the reboot, so many cool references and threads that never got followed up on.
Like that agent that smothers Superman in his crib?
I forgot about the hard drive crash killing the series.
Why didn't anyone back stuff up in the early 2000s? We had GB sized USB sticks, DVD burners, FTP servers. It isn't like he couldn't be bothered to fit it all on floppies or something.
>>
>>78228466
Yep. Even the jacket is straight out of Spectacular.
>>
>>78227492
>SPEAR is still a thing
Nice
>>
>>78228442
No one tell Bendis!
>>
>>78228082
I guess Kitty hasn't found her soulmate.
>>
>>78227492
>>78227504
Re-reading these panels has me worried this is a stealth mini with these two getting rolled into New Avengers.
Not a bad place for them to wind up, just worried.
>>
>>78229880
Weisman said he's planning for the long haul and has many arcs planned out along with an extensive amount of lore he plans to expand on.

Too bad it'll be lucky to last 8 issues.

So, y'know, standard Weisman really. Plan for 10 seasons, get cancelled after 2.
>>
>>78229880
On one hand, it means that something written by Weisman will have a definite ending, like Star Wars: Kanan.

But it probably won't and be cancelled after the second arc.
>>
>>78227414
>The Inhuman conundrum (...) has changed locations to accomodate the unexpected number of students interested in taking this course
Yeah, way more students wanted to learn about Inhumans than about mutants, right Marvel?
>>
>>78227454
Doesn't China have its own superteams?
>>
>>78227518
>Osborn Hall
You'd think that after all the shit Stormin' Norman pulled that they'd have changed that name
>>
>>78230334
He donated so much money to the school though.
>>
>>78228082
Mainly cause Weisman liked using him on Spectacular Spider-Man
>>
>>78230349
He's still a treasonous mass murderering deranged super-villain that threw one of their best students off a bridge.
>>
>>78227584
Squirrel Girl has a secret identity? Didn't know that, how the hell does she hide that?
Also, shouldn't she have a huge tail?
>>
>>78230386
Not just him, but McKeever is also there and Sha Shan will be showing up later.
>>
>>78227797
>Nitro blows up yet another school
>>
>>78227806
Who the fuck is that bearded guy in a cape
>>
>>78230579
It's Graviton, he was in this issue
>>
>>78230483
She does.
I think the joke is supposed to be it's completely pointless and either no one notices or no one cares.
She shoves it in her pants which makes it look like she has a huge ass.
>>
>>78229959
I wish I had a /co/-related he-hates-it.jpg to post in response to this.

>>78229980
Oh man, can you imagine Starbrand drawn by Sandoval?
>>
I want to support this book but the art is too shit to justify the expense.
>>
>>78230289
In DC, yes. They get super pissed when Western heroes start butting into their business.
Actually, does Nu52 still have August-General-In-Iron and all the others?
Not sure if it's ever been expanded on in Marvel.
>>
>>78230644
Marvel has had plenty of Chinese superteams.
The most recent one was called The Ascendants, debuting in Avengers World. They worked for S.P.E.A.R., the organization mentioned at the begining of this issue
>>
>>78227390
>Straight White Men with their Black Best Friends
i'm tired of this, you think they would have gotten bored of it after every Marvel hero basically has a black sidekick at one point
>>
>>78230986
To be fair, they're partners, and Starbrand tends to get treated as the sidekick.
>>
>>78227683
Nitro, just because you blew up one school doesn't mean it has to be your "thing"
>>
>>78232607
That's what they said about Doctor Light and rape, and look how that turned out.
>>
>>78227414
>>78227390
So are they gay?
>>
>>78227575
I have not even read the replies but I know what they are
>>
>>78228527
>>78228644

It's the same college
>>
>>78227669
Graviton and Nitro have really fallen on hard times, well not really Nitto so mouth but remember when graviton was a member of the aim high council.
>>
>>78232607
He can't go around being they guy who gave Captain Marvel cancer for the rest of his life.
>>
>>78227575
THIS IS SO PROGRESSIVE
>>
>>78232935
No, didn't you read the OP? Starbrand is totally straight. They're just two bros. I miss when you could just have a pair of totally platonic best buds without everyone thinking it's a whole thing.

Though to be fair, Starbrand tends to get drawn pretty twinky.
>>
>>78228625
About the same size as the ones I've been in.
>>
>>78227414
>Starbrand still from Pittsburgh
Based Wiesman. I hope we get more original New Universe stuff worked in.
>>
>>78232935
Nightmask might be.
>>
>>78228466
So he's based off his Spectacular counterpart and not Ultimate then?
>>
>>78236083
I'd assume so. Even the letter jacket is designed like the ones in SSM.
>>
I think I'm physically incapable of not adoring anything Weisman does. I thought this was fucking great. Almost every #1 of this relaunch felt similar but this is something so different from anything Marvel or even DC is doing right now and I love it. The arts not amazing, but I like it well enough. The style is kind of reminding me of Spider-Man loves Mary Jane. Greg deserves a win for once, I hope it survives.
>>
>>78227390

I really like this cover's style, I hope she does more in the future.
>>
>>78236722
I liked it, but I didn't think it was a strong start either. Some of the dialogue is a bit too "hip", particularly at the beginning.

I do think it'll get more interesting, though.
>>
>>78229156
>I haven't read a damn thing from Hickman's Avengers but by golly I'm still gonna bitch about it!
>>
>>78236960
Yeah, made me wish the actual comic looked like it.
>>
>>78227584
>Squirrel Girl by someone other than Henderson
Always nice to see.
>>
>>78230644

Yes. China was one of the represented nations in nu52 JLI.
>>
>>78229270
>I trade-waited all the Avengers stuff around then and read it all at once, it's sort of hard to keep the names straight

This is something I used to love about DC. Teams had different names. Birds of Prey, Teen Titans, Shadowpact, Outsiders, Suicide Squad and than just one single Justice League running at a time. I mean yeah Marvel has other teams but not in the way DC did.

Now pretty much every other pushed team is just The Justice League. I will say its a bit less of a clusterfuck than the Avengers but I fear it getting worse. I want to get into some older Avengers stuff but it just feels too overwhelming when there's like 6 teams running at once.
>>
>>78227390
This was neat and all that, but why doesn't just Marvel let Weisman write a TSSM comic with Cheeks on art?
>>
>>78227434
So Nightmask is literally the carrier? do they say "door" when they need him?
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.