[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Superman: American Alien #2 Storytime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 48
Haha remember that time Clark got shot?
>>
>>78219778
Well kids, let me tell you a story...
>>
>>78219778
That cover looks edgy.
>>78219798
Hey look! It's Donte from DmC!
>>
>>78219798
Expect escalation.
That's all I'll say for now.
>>
>>78219815
>>78219812
SURE IS YOU SACK OF SHIT
<3
>>
>>78219822
Don't have an official soundtrack to the issue yet, but Landis did create a playlist for the series as a whole
https://play.spotify.com/user/1223701657/playlist/38Cfxq3ehEyKF0eLlUXWvq
>>
>>78219832
>>
>>78219841
>>
>>78219798
that looks like more like a young lex luthor than clark kent
>>
>>78219847
>>
Who killed more: Max's Dad or Snyder's Superman?
>>
>>78219853
>>78219852
Would need longer hair for that.
And red.
>>
>>78219863
>>78219857
Definitely Man of Murder
>>
>>78219871
speaking of...
>>
>>78219876
>>
>>78219882
>>
>>78219887
>>
>>78219894
>>
>>78219841
>Superman swearing
Nope. Nope. Nope. Fuck you, Landis
>>78219847
Oh boy! Murder! I always thought there wasn't enough death in modern Superman stories!!!! Thanks for being original, Max!
>>
>>78219897
Remember when I said earlier?
>>
>>78219909
Uh, what.
what I said earlier...
>>
>>78219915
>>
>>78219921
>>78219903
If you're gonna grill Landis over something, I'd say do it on something that burns you up inside...
or outside.
>>
>>78219932
>>
>>78219921
>>78219897
>>78219882
ow, I just cut myself on the edge.
>>
>>78219939
>>
>>78219903
You are such a fucking whiny faggot. Obviously you hate Landis, so maybe don't read a fucking book he's writing then?
>>
>>78219950
>>
>>78219954
>>
>>78219962
>>
>>78219962
I have had no problems with the book at all so far, up until this point. Ma and Pa Kent ever having issues with Clark using his powers to help people is utter shit writing 100% of the time.
Not like DROPPED material but that's shit.
>>
>>78219971
Well folks, that's it for this issue.
Come back next month, same Super time, same Man channel.
If only I had credits music for this...
>>
>>78219978
Maybe...?
Nah, what would work...?
>>
>>78220000
How about this?
https://youtu.be/Cl_9kKwhhjs
>>
>>78219932
I always thought Superman was Fag of a character who should use Heat vision to obliterate people's arms off. Between this and the Adventures of Superman issue where he shoots the Joker with his heat vision, it's like I'm in heaven.
Glad Max Landis is fixing Superman.
>>
>>78220015
Seriously, don't read the book, you hate Max Landis, you think he's a shit writer, why are you reading the book?
>>
>>78219903
>surprised at people dying in a superman story

Is this literally your first exposure to anything Superman related outside of All Star? Brainiac, Lex, Darkseid, Mongul, Bruno Manheim, and Atomic Skull aren't Superman's enemies because he caught them trying to jaywalk a few times.

And I don't know where you got the idea from that Superman never swears.
>>
that was huge step down from the first issue. i can understand wanting to make the story dark a it goes along. but one minute you have superman a kid flying to superman swearing and burning a guy's arm off? at least edge me in
>>
>>78220051
just beacus it happens in other stories doesn't make it good or those stories good
Nobody watches tge firat Superman movie and goes
>"Wow, this movie is dull. I wish Superman would melt Lex Luthor's legs and call him an asshole! Wouldn't that be great!"
Infact, the most memorable scene from All-Star Superman isn't him shooting someone and swearing. It was him saving a girl from suicide.
This doesn't do anything new other writers haven't done (I'd go as far as to say it does it worse). We're had young Supeman almost kill a guy in Superman unchained and kill a guy with his heat vision as a kid in Speeding Bullets. And Max doesn't bring anything new to table. It's just the same boring edgy stuff.
>>
>>78220174
>tells Pete to kiss his ass while particpating in friendly banter
>accidentally (potentially the first time he ever used?) heat visions a guys arm off, doesn't even kill him
>HURR SUPERMAN IS MURDERING AND CURSING OUT HIS VILLAINS
Dude, just don't read the book. You fucking hate Max Landis, his Superman doesn't work for you and it makes you sperg out. Just save yourself the trouble
>>
>>78220174
Unchained and Speeding Bullets, really tenants of the Superman canon, they're definitely books that pop into people's mind when you think about classic Superman stories.
I guess All Star is shit because we saw Lex get Superman Powers in 52, huh?
>>
The artwork is already better than the how-to-draw-anime stuff from last issue.
>>
>>78220239
Which artists are going to draw the rest of the comic?
>>
>people are so desperate for good Superman stories they settle for garbage like this
wow, that's actually kind of pathetic. and sad.
i'm glad Marvel comics doesn't have anything this bad. At this point, Marvel should just buy out DC and fix Superman themselves (aka the right way, not the edgy way)
>>
>>78220299
>This post
Yikes. fucking tryhard.
>>
>>78220174
All Star Superman is an atypical Elseworld with almost no action or any of his rogues. It's one interpretation of Superman, and anyone who bases their entire understanding of the (75 year old) character on it will come out with a distorted and misinformed perception of Superman.

It actually really bothers me that Superman has been wussified so much over the last 7 years that he's apparently not allowed to fight bad guys anymore. And now his bad guys aren't even allowed to do bad things either (never mind that Pre-New 52 Lex, alone, has a higher body count than the Joker, and that Brainiac's gimmick is that he destroy planets and takes their information)? Melting arms off of non-powered humans is pretty extreme. I hadn't gotten to that yet when I responded to your first post, but it seems more like an accident here.

Objecting to a teenage Clark swearing while having fun with his friends, seems a bit less understandable.
>>
>>78220218
Superman isn't some 90s character. He doesn't tear arms off. He isn't suppose to be gory. Max didn't have to write Superman using his heat vision to brutally hurt a guy. He could of written a Fun Superman. Instead he just adds another edgy Superman comic to the already huge pile...
>>
This is really unremarkable so far, even the edge is pretty lackluster
>>
>>78220322
The dude's either baiting or is autistic.
If he's baiting he should know he comes off like a sad retard and probably isn't making anyone mad by pretending to hate a mediocre comic
>>
File: Meow.jpg (260 KB, 798x1200) Image search: [Google]
Meow.jpg
260 KB, 798x1200
>>78220246
We got
>#3: Joelle Jones (Cheetah, Pic related variant)
>#4: Jae Lee (Lex, Lois, Batman, Ollie)
>#5 Francis Manapul (Parasite/Lex)
>#6 Jonathan Case (Lois/Lobo)
>#7 Jock (Doomsday+Mr. Mxyzptlk)
>>
>>78220340
>The dude's either baiting or is autistic.

It might be Landis shilling by way of anti-shilling.
>>
>>78220328
But a lot of this story was fun...
Absolutism is cancer.
>>
>>78219932
I'LL KILL YOU!
I'LL KILL YOU TO DEATH!
>>
>>78220347
I thought JPL was supposed to be doing an issue or am I just high?
Maybe he was supposed to be doing this one and we got this guy instead because his artstyle is similar?
>>
>>78220322
>It actually really bothers me that Superman has been wussified so much over the last 7 years that he's apparently
I agree. Superman should shoot heat vision at every person he doesn't like. He should go Full Zimmerman/Trump and shoot all the Blacks and Muslims.because Superman is only interesting when he's edgy.
>>
>>78220239
>Dragotta
>How to draw anime
Kill yourself
>>
>>78220371
>of he's not "Stay in School Kids!" level soft he has to be completely edgy
You realize that there is something called a middle?
>>
>>78219863
Who is kid who isn't Pete?
And whole Smallvile knows Clark is alien/Superman?
>>
>>78220322
Are you serious? DC has done nothing but to try and make Superman "hardcore" and "gritty" the past years. To the point that it's become cheap and lazy. We've had Superman turn into ""Evil"" Superman twice (three if you count jerky Superman from Darkseid war). Not to mention Superman fighting monsters like Ultra-Humanite.
And don't get me started on Superman Earth One!
We've had serious Superman for a long time and itsstarting to lose its luster
>>
File: man-who-has-everything-burn.jpg (128 KB, 507x512) Image search: [Google]
man-who-has-everything-burn.jpg
128 KB, 507x512
>>78220371
There are people on /co/ arguing that Superman shouldn't be intimidating. Superman can be a scary guy if you're evil. This has always been the case.
>>
>>78220380
his issue was shit
>>
>>78220390
>All kids are jerks who swear
Not every kid was like you, Max.
Making young Clark a 'cool' Smug swearing teen is just lame and unoriginal.
It's like when Johns ruined Billy by making him a jerk.
>>
>>78220436
You do realize that Alan Moore regretted writing that and that he's angry that all former fun Superhero comics have become this edgy gritty tryhard garbage that you worship?
>>
>>78220455
>saying kiss my ass while joking around now makes him a swear machine
there we go with the whole "all or nothing" thing again
>>
>>78220455
The overwhelming majority of people swear. Writing kids and teenagers like Beaver Cleaver always feels unnatural.
>>
>>78220455
Fuck off casual, Superman has always been a cool kid in high school
>Star Athlete
>Fucks a hot girl
>Great student
>>
>>78220455
softly trolled. Because let's be honest, people will give you serious replies.
>>
>>78219903
>teenage Clark can't jokingly say "kiss my ass" to his best friend
>teenage Clark can't play detective noir
You're joking
>>
>>78220477
I think the anon you are replying to is retarded, but I think it's a lot less weird to have Clark as Beaver Cleaver than it is to have a random teenager as one.
>>
File: Flash v2 #209 p002.jpg (463 KB, 1024x1609) Image search: [Google]
Flash v2 #209 p002.jpg
463 KB, 1024x1609
>>78220469
Alan Moore has never expressed any regret over For the Man Who Has Everything, and its cartoon version, in Justice League Unlimited, is the only adaptation of his work he's ever praised.
>>
>>78219847
jesus christ, really? And I had a little bit of hope for this.
>>
>>78219932
>>78220359
>mfw American Alien was a retelling of Prime's story the whole time
>>
>>78220477
I know, right? Having a child act like a good kid who doesn't swear and isn't obnoxious is sooooo unrealistic. Especially in a world of flying superheroes and mutants!!!!!!!

And just in case you can't tell, I'm rolling my eyes at you.
>>
>>78220518
Remember when Lex Luthor brutally killed thousands of people by shutting off their superpowers? Why is that edgmaster a Superman antagonist?
>>
>>78220528
There's a difference between writing a speculative work and writing a speculative work in which your characters don't act like actual people.
>>
>>78220515
He apparently enjoyed Saturday Morning Watchmen.
>>
>>78220536
the escalation with a bunch of teenage murderers just feels out of place. I can take the swearing but it's sort of...this isn't why I read superman. Hell I'm not that big a fan of random pointless murders in batman and they tend to mesh well with his darker interpretations.

this whole thing feels tonedeaf and mediocre.
>>
>>78220536
>Remember that stupid edgy thing that happened in anothe comic? Thr makes this stupid edgy thing okay!!!!!!
>>
File: get a load of this cunt.png (108 KB, 213x215) Image search: [Google]
get a load of this cunt.png
108 KB, 213x215
>>78220556
>52 was stupid and edgy
>>
>>78220536
Because that's the most famous version of Lex, right? Not the Lex from the Reeve movies who actually failed to cause genocide because Superman stopped him? Because that's what people love about Superman, the edgy death and gritty murder.
>>
>>78220556
"Edgy" stuff like that is normal for bad guys in Superman comics. Almost all of his villains are like that.
>>
>>78220565
Yep.
>>
>>78220555
What would you want the conflict to be in this issue that meshes with the idea that Superman is going to have to fight some violent, bad people in his tenure as a Superhero? If you think that shouldn't be a theme for a series like this that's one thing, but I don't really see how the concept is out of place.
I don't think this series is stellar by any means by the way.
>>
>>78219932
jesus christ

what even is the point here?
>>
>>78220566
You don't even know what comic I'm talking about, so fuck right off casual.
>>
>>78220536
>liking edgy Luthor
I bet you like Leatherface Joker too
>>
>>78220573
Well considering you call someone bantering with their friend edgy I really think you should stick to all ages comics sport.
>>
>>78220582
Clark's in way over his head, and acts in a panic.
By the next page, he's scared shitless.
>>
>>78220566
Real estate Lex was not Lex... Comic Lex would write him off as a buffoon and possibly kill him. Next you'll argue that the similarly wacky (and famous) Mr. Freeze from Batman and Robin should become canon.
>>
>>78220603
No, Snyder's Joker is shit (and nothing like Leatherface) but sociopath Lex is good.
When has Lex not been edgy?
>HURR I HATE THE WORLD'S GREATEST SYMBOL OF HOPE AND ALTRUISM SO MUCH, HE'S SUCH A FAGGOT I HAVE TO KILL HIM
>>
>>78219798
>>78219815
>>78219847
>>78219897
>>78219932
>CRAWLING IN MY SKIN!
>>
>>78219778
>Bad guys being bad triggers people because Landis wrote it
Amazing
>>
>>78220579
eh Landis just flat out doesn't seem to understand Superman. For ages I've been saying the entire problem with these books is that they're written by manchildren who want to make their bad teenage fanfiction canon. you've got books aimed at guys 40-60 who are major comic collectors but not kids so the industry as a whole is really, really stagnating.

Me I wouldn't bother treating smallville like a real place where people get murdered and shit. I wouldn't bother trying to rewrite superman's origin at all. It's been done. By people a lot better than Landis, him just writing this stinks of arrogance though I'll give him props for at least trying.

I don't want to see teenage superman mutilating people or seeing a small town community's drug crazed edge lord and his shitty friends murder people.

I would not pay money for this issue.

Personally? I would've skipped Superman's intro, if I needed it I would've condensed it into an old style One Page introduction that comics used to have, I mean we still see them sometimes but they're not as common as they used to be.

I mean I'll read the storytimes, maybe pirate the books if no one storytimes it but this isn't the kind of superman story I want. Maybe Landis will surprise me in the coming issues but I want to see Superman performing superfeats, I don't want grounded, gritty realistic superman and that's what this is.

TL;DR
I think this book missed the entire point of Superman. It's a superman book written by someone who doesn't get, or like superman. Least that's what 2 issues tell me, lets see where it's going before final judgement.
>>
>>78219976
I think the issue is that Clark is barely a fraction of full Superman strength here. That first shot he took almost killed him. They are really scared of him getting hurt.
>>
>>78220662
What? But Max Landis is literally the Citizen Kane of writers! Didn't you see that Superman pitch of his where Superman stabs Zod with kryptonite and taunts him? Or his Adventures of Superman issue where he strawmans the Joker, shoots him with heat visions, then promises to kill him if he sees him again (because he apparently has no no-kill code)? Doesn't Max make Superman so much Fun?!!!
>>
>>78220662
Max Landis seems like a younger JMS to me. Someone who really likes Superman but doesn't translate well to paper.
>>
>>78220662
So you don't think there's any room for good young Superman stories?
I also have never understood the idea that "returning to all ages will save the genre". Why? All ages films aren't the highest grossing, all ages video games aren't the most popular.
I also don't see how going all ages will de-stagnate the industry rather than just making it the same as the 50's-70's rather than the 80's-90's
>>
>>78220299
(you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you)
there you go buddy. happy now?
>>
>>78220710
Superman doesn't have a no kill code casual.
>>
>>78220726
>SUPERMAN NEEDS TO BE EDGY GOD-FUCKING-PISS-DAMN IT!
>I CAN'T TAKE A MAN IN TIGHTS AND A CAPE IF HE ISN'T NEEDLESSLY EDGY AND GRITTY!
>IN FACT, HE SHOULD HAVE POUCHES, A SANTA BEARD, AND CARRY A BIG GUN TO SHOOT PEOPLE! A GUN MADE OF GUNS!
>>
>>78220726
the people who read these books aren't getting their kids invested in them, if they even have kids. New readers have to come from somewhere and WB has not been handling the movie licenses well. Marvel at least has it's studio division which has been knocking it out of the park for a solid decade or so. Both Marvel and DC need new readers if the comics are gonna remain printing in any large numbers. Marvel's got the Movies now so they have an excuse.

and I don't think superman translates well to Grim and Gritty. I'm fine with Walkabouts and superman finding himself but that strikes me more as a college age thing. This isn't what I want from young superman, and I don't think Landis gets superman well enough to even make a good young superman story. Regardless the origin has been done over and over and I don't think anyone who hasn't demonstrably proven that they have serious game should even try re-imagining it. So far Landis's game is pretty weak.

What the fuck do I know? I'm just one more opinionated nerd.

>>78220717
not a bad assessment I suppose. This strikes me more as missing the point than just being bad.
>>
>>78220757
Riiiiiiiiiiiight.
>>
File: Superman16.jpg (131 KB, 800x535) Image search: [Google]
Superman16.jpg
131 KB, 800x535
>>78220662
>if I needed it I would've condensed it into an old style One Page introduction that comics used to have

Ironically, the Superman comics from the era in which this was actually a thing, long before they were written for "manchildren," would probably be "edgy" in your opinion. I honestly don't think that you understand Superman at all, but that this could be remedied by simply reading more comics. Or by just watching the cartoons, really.

>I wouldn't bother treating Smallville like a real place where people get murdered and shit

This is really weird.
>>
>>78220762
>that strikes me more of a college age thing
Y'know what, now I'm on your side with the Young Clark thing. I've read a million fucking Superman comics, but I cannot think of a single one that takes place during his college years. I think this needs to be explored more.
I'm sure DC doesn't do it to avoid falling into the "dude college lmao" pitfalls, but fuck it, they really should have some stories of him in college.
>>
>>78220779
No one likes Golden Age Superman.
Normies like Linkara hated Morrison's Action Comics because it wasn't 30 pages of Superman hugging a suicidal girl. And it's the same for Pak's Truth Superman.
>>
>>78220779
I like the Fliescher stuff, and I'm well aware that superman used to do some stuff these days that'd be viewed as hilariously stupid like smashing down poorly made government project buildings to force people to start over and build better buildings. Overall I don't mind him bullying people who have it coming. It's flat out homicide and maiming I object to.

Yes he attacked and beat up wife beaters, slum lords, and various criminals. He didn't burn a man's arms off or kill a teenager because he wasn't skilled in the use of his powers.

this may surprise you but people can read the same books and watch the same material and come to different conclusions.

I've lived in small towns, they're shitholes.

Smallville isn't a shithole. It's an idyllic piece of Midwest Americana that doesn't quite exist in the real world.

>>78220790
I think Earth One did this, unsure. I know it was roughly the new 52 era but Clark was college aged, just got his degree and travelled the world trying to find his place. People were afraid of his abilities and eventually he decided to go on the path of being the hero everyone is familiar with.

I've seen a ton of stories about Clark as a child, Superboy doing superboy things, and adult Superman doing superman stuff or living as Clark Kent but I don't think I've read a book about his college years actually. There's some market potential there.
>>
>>78220811
Apparently the guy I responded to doesn't like Modern Superman (and assumedly Bronze Age Superman, as well), either, and believes that Superman existing in a perfect world, faced against enemies who don't actually kill people, is inherent to Superman's character. Seems like he just really likes Superman the Movie.
>>
>>78220837
I don't read superman to watch him fight bank robbers, I read him to watch him fight aliums or outsmart 5th dimensional imps who are serious jerks. I won't object to people dying but I expect some oomph in my comics.
>>
>>78219778
Kurt Busiek did it better (and less edgier)
>>
>>78220779
what are this guy's subversive activities anyway? He a communist?
>>
>>78219832
>dat last joke
>>
>>78219832
LULZ! hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
Max Landis is so funny!!! I haven't laughed this hard since Bendis's Iron Man!!!! I gotta put this on muh tumblr. BRb
>>
>>78220832
>It's an idyllic piece of Midwest Americana that doesn't quite exist in the real world

You've never been outside of the coasts, have you? Smallville is not that different from irl rural midwest.
>>
>>78220174

He froze and let Parasite kill the frozen inmates in All-Star Superman. This is something that not only happened in the stupid animated movie, but in the comic as well.
>>
>>78220982
note how you said "not that different"

It's not quite real, it isn't supposed to be. It's an all american town full of friendly neighbors and wholesome conservative american values. It mirrors real life but it isn't.
>>
>>78221051
And no one remembers that because it was dumb. They remember him saving a girl from suicide. Because that was the best part of the book and encompasses what Superman SHOULD be.
Superman is a savior, not a fighter or killer
>>
>>78221075
I don't understand your point here, literally no fictional places are 100% real
>>
>>78221051

Here's the page with Superman freezing inmates to their deaths in order to protect Luthor and himself while Parasite smashes them to bits in his rampage to feed on Superman's powers.

This happens in All-Star Superman, written by Grant Morrison. The "best" and "fun" Superman comic that everybody praises. Is Morrison edgy and bad writer now?
>>
>>78220218
>accidentally
Superman "accidentally" destroyed Metropolis in Man of Steel. It was edgy there ad it's here edgy here. Just because the writer, Max, had Superman do the edgy deed "accidentally" doesn't make it less edgy, it makes him a shitty writer. They are the ones in control. they are the ones who put Superman in the situation and make him do such edgy things.
I can't for the next issue where Superman "accidentally" freezes a mother and her baby with his ice breath.
>>
>>78221143
>I hate this comic but I will devoutly follow every issue
The fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>78221127
>Is Morrison edgy and bad writer now?
It makes that book a edgy and bad Superman book.
And the only people who think of Morrison as the best writer have never read any other better Superman stories

And even then, most people don't remember that scene. They remember the other one. Y'know, the one where he saves a suicidal girl. That's the most famous scene from the book (other than the intro). No one cares about the rest.
The reason people loved that scene so much it because describes Superman.
That is what everyone wants Superman to be. Someone who always saves someone.
>>
File: all_right_go_on.jpg (135 KB, 449x452) Image search: [Google]
all_right_go_on.jpg
135 KB, 449x452
>>78219962
>>78219971
>>78219978
You know for the fact that it's kinda edgy I'm not hating this. Clark definitely feels like a teenager and the interactions with his parents have been really on point. I mean of course ma would be upset. Her poor boy comes home from getting shot to hell and she nearly lost her son. She's still a mum and at the end she still points out that he did the right thing.

Also I'm digging the fact that the whole town knows. I mean it's a bit more than I'd like with the kids knowing but i like the angle. It's a real takes a village to raise a child angle. I like it.
>>
>>78221162
That's pretty much /co/ in a nutshell.

We don't READ comics, we REACT to them. This board won't read anything unless they hate it.
>>
>>78221189
But I just read this comic and it was shit.
>>
>>78221127
Nah, man. They lived.
>>
>>78221178
Y'know, I think you'd really like Ditko's Mr. A.
>>
>>78219932
Ow! The edge!
>>
>this comic
Wow, I haven't read anything this tryhard since I Hate Fairyland
>>
>>78221206

They died, brah. Not only them but a bunch of cops and inmates died from Parasite rampage while Superman watched and did nothing but escape in fear of being exposed to Lex and others.
>>
>>78221127

The word ballons are clearly there to indicate that the inmates are still alive, just stuck under a layer of ice, and it looks like Parasite isn't even in the same room, much less smashing the frozen prisoners.
>>
>>78221229
As >>78221238 points out, Parasite isn't even in the same room. Look at how the people who are being smashed are standing.
They are too far apart and facing the wrong direction to be the frozen inmates.
>>
>>78221238

Check the second panel.
>>
>>78221250
>>78221238
Shhhhh, let Max Landis aka Edgy Anon have their edgy dream
>>
>>78221257
Yes, people died, but it wasn't the frozen inmates. In fact, the second panel directly proves you wrong, because the dead guy isn't remotely fucking frozen.
>>
>>78219778
>Max Landis
His comics writing is surprisingly better than his movie writing.
>>
>M-muh swers
You guys are such god damn faggots
Like the rest of the story is try hard whatever but teenagers swear all the time.
Why the fuck are you expecting pre-New52 Billy Batson out of post-New52 Clark?
>>
>>78219897
>I'VE BECOME SO NUMB
>>
>>78219832
>pamplemousse
>grapefruit

what translator did they use
>>
>>78220469
Alan Moore hates a lot of things. Taking anything he says seriously these days is rather pointless. Especially when he bemoans the edginess of modern comics then turn around and write Crossed. Listing things he still likes is probably much easier. You likely wouldn't need a second hand to keep count.
>>
>>78219841
>fully ready to get laid with Lana
>swearing

I love this Supe
>>
>>78222820
that one intern that swears he knows french
>>
>>78220012
This series is really good. I'm having a fun time.
>>
>>78219976
look at the mess Clark caused, of course the Kents would be worried about the attention that would bring, Clark blasted one guy's arms off.
>>
>>78219932
Is this Superboy Prime's origin? Jesus Landis. I get the angle you are trying to take but Superman would probably be in control of his powers by his teenage years.
>>
File: SHUTUP.jpg (90 KB, 564x722) Image search: [Google]
SHUTUP.jpg
90 KB, 564x722
>>78219939
TRIGGERED
>>
>>78221257
You can't really tell from this if he's really dead or just drained and knocked out by the rampaging Parasite
>>
the arm thing is excessive but better than i feared
>>
i personally liked it, there is thousands of interpretations of superman out there, i can enjoy a story about a teenager with superpowers who grew up in a small town and the first time he tries to fight crime seriously on his own things get fucked up because dumb teenager who doesnt know any better and has way too much power
>>
>>78220930
Jesus. Calm yourself, ya sperg.
>>
>>78219876
>thanks for nothin'
What a fucking cunt.
>>
>>78219949
Hopefully you'll bleed you for being a retard.
>>
>>78221143
>>78221186
>You know for the fact that it's kinda edgy I'm not hating this.
Same here. If only because it isn’t Silver Agey, it seems difficult to discuss this book without comparing it to MoS. Personally, I always loved what Snyder said he wanted to do with MoS. I just hated significant parts of the execution. On the whole, I really don’t like Max Landis, but I think I wish Snyder had done something more like this. I’m the first to disagree with people who call Superman a Mary Sue, but he can’t be so perfect as to never make mistakes or lose his cool, especially while learning about and how to control his abilities. Considering the force of nature his powers make him, people will eventually get hurt.
IMO
>criminals who murder innocents (because their edge lord pal has daddy issues) wind up in in the ICU early in his origin >>> Clark in the suit, already addressed as Superman by some, brutally killing his opponent at the ass end of his origin
as the incident where Clark learns that he needs to keep his cool.

And before you bitch about the amputee, I remember Batman being given internal dialogue where he talks about breaking a guys arm intentionally badly so it'll always hurt him. Sometimes these characters hurt people in permanent ways. At least in this case it was an accident. Maybe that is bad writing. Maybe it isn't, but I'll take it being written as an accident over Superman being written into a corner where the only way out is taking a life.

Say what you will about Landis (God knows I have), but these two issues have had heart, consequence, characters that feel real, and a world around them that feels real and out of a comic at the same time. If you were going to modernize the Superman origin, and come up with one intended not to feel anachronistic, and it hurts to say this, but I’d take Landis’s over Snyder/Goyer’s every damn day based on what we’ve seen so far.
>>
>>78220012

Is Max Landis going to do that Darkseid story he always wanted?
>>
>>78228731
That's "THE DOOMSDAY" silly
I remember reading series of tweets a year back about how his Superman timeline has a beginning, middle and end, with Darkseid as the finale though...
>>
File: 1433219439721.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1433219439721.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>went from a decent first issue to this
Why
>>
>>78228789

Whoops! With the Darkseid war, I had him in my mind. Yeah, I mean THA DOOMSDAY.
The pitch he had for the Death of Superman was a good one. I'd really read that. Landis's Superman and Joker issues were stupid and showed too much of a "MUH HERO IS BETTER" but this is good. I'm enjoying this.
>>
File: Birth of Parallax.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Birth of Parallax.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>78228886
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RWMc-EdDRY
Pitch here.
>>
>>78228840
This was also a decent issue.
>>
>>78228930

I've seen that a couple of times. It's good and I'm interested to see something like that.
DC could made a couple of series like this, or a comic version of Superman Lives and sell like hotcakes, with the proper marketing ofc.
>>
>>78219939
She looks like that red haired SJW
>>
File: Dodododo Im Leaving.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Dodododo Im Leaving.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>78219832
>>78219778
https://play.spotify.com/user/1223701657/playlist/5lda8g1RCGUl4HQz4dATcz
Soundtrack of issue 2
>>
Wow, so many haters. Or probably just a samefag. I don´t know why the hate, this 2 issues has been great. The classic Superman origin has been retold many times, it´s great that this one is different. Fuck the guys who doesn´t like change.

>>78219976

Are you 12 or something? You're the same kind of stupid as the haters of Pa Kent in MOS.

Try to imagine yourself in the Kent's place. You can't have children, adoptions are hard as fuck, but suddenly you find a kid, which is no normal kid, he has abilites far beyond human capabilites. People will look him with fear, he will be rejected, the goverment could come and take it from you, and you'll end without the kid you ever wanted, and he will suffer a life of seclusion and experimentation on himself. That's the fear of the Kents.
>>
>>78219976
He burned a man's arms off nigger
Do we have to put things into that Spider-man mantra for you to understand
>>
>>78228840
>decent first issue
No.
>>
>>78229652
By accident.
>>
>>78230285
Not, him. Yes, it was an accident. Anon wasn't saying it was bad because he burnt off the guys arms. He was responding to the anon who either poorly misunderstood what he read, or was shitposting when he said the Kents minding Superman using his powers to save people is shit. The Kents being against Clark using his abilities to help people to any degree does indeed suck ass, but that isn't what happened. Ma didn't mind him using his powers to help people. She minded how he handled the whole affair. Had he told the cops, he probably wouldn't have even needed to be there. Had he helped the hostages in a less conspicuous manner that didn't leave the man armless or all of the criminals witness to his abilities she probably wouldn't have said anything at all. >>78229652 was just saying there was room for improvement on Clark's part, and she was just stressing that point to him. Ma was justified in her giving Clark constructive criticism, but that her doing so wasn't being against his using his abilities to help people.
>>
>>78230449
That anon here.
Rarely am I glad someone put those words in my mouth because you explained it way better than I could.

I was more thinking of a police analogy. Cops should carry guns, but they shouldn't riddle people with bullet holes
>>
>>78230758
I usually hate presuming to know what people think. Honestly, at first I thought what he though. I was gonna talk about how Peter had fucked up before adopting Ben's credo, but I read back, and was pretty sure I was at least in the same ballpark in terms of what you meant.
>>
>>78220790
I've always wanted some Clark in college stories too.

The retarded thing is, most versions of Clark didn't even fuckin' go to college, he just walks into the Daily Planet off the street with resume, goes "I interviewed Superman, lol" and Perry gives him a job.

The one notable exception I know of is Birthright, but even that starts just after he graduated and is doing freelance reporting.
>>
>>78230954
>with NO resume
>>
>>78230285
See>>78221143
>>
Tommy Lee Edwards is great. You guys should read the Winter World issue he did. The sound effects were really cool
>>
I know there's a contingent of Landis spergs around here, /tv/, etc. But I'm really enjoying this series so far.

Clark and his friends in the beginning are acting like typical real-life kids would act at that age. I get everyone holds Clark to just massively high standards, but this "Hurr Clark would never swear." is ridiculous when he's pretty much growing up a hick farmboy like everyone else around him. It's like people who idolize celebrities and don't understand they're normal people too. Late issue Clark is just an inexperienced kid who, as all inexperienced kids do, invariably fucks up and has to learn from his mistakes.

So yeah, I'm really digging this series so far.
>>
>>78231954
Max Landis pls take your ego and bad haircut and leave. Go make whine on the Internet how no one likes your stupid movie and how it's worse than the holocaust because of it.
>>
File: image.jpg (633 KB, 1724x1180) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
633 KB, 1724x1180
>>78219798
>>78219812
>>
File: american_alien.png (67 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
american_alien.png
67 KB, 800x800
>Nobody likes you
>Everyone left you
>They're all out without you
>Having fun
>>
So is this canon or what?
>>
Oh boy, another retelling of Superman's original. How original. What's that? This one's extra edgy? Oh joy, I always thought Superman needed to be more edgy. Because that has never been done before.
>>
>>78232443
Nah, it's just a "what if" mini series.
>>
File: 1449343689551.jpg (80 KB, 1233x924) Image search: [Google]
1449343689551.jpg
80 KB, 1233x924
>>78219798
my god that is stupid
>>
So many people crying and worried about "edge" nowadays because they're so thin skinned they'd probably get cut by a spoon. This comic (and the one before it that for some reason got called edgy) really isn't.
>>
>>78232387
>young man at a police line-up
>lol its so much like donte!
God you guys are fags.
Left is some faggot who thinks he's and doesn't want be there
Right is a kid who got beat up in a fight and is even crying afterwards
>>
>>78232476
But its not an origin story, its just a story abut young Clark you retard.
>>
>>78219932
>this is how modern DC writers write Superman
Ugh, I wish Marvel would just but Supeman from DC comics (or just buy out DC comics). They would treat Superman with more respect than this.
Or just put Superman in the public domain so better writers can write him.
>>
>>78232770
*buy
>>
>>78232770
>this is how modern DC writers write Superman
But that isn't Superman. That is Clark Kent before he had control over his abilities. Did you really think Clark Kent never accidentally broke something or hurt someone while learning about and how to control his abilities?
>>
>>78219778
Now tha Max Landis has ruined Superman and Frankenstein, what's the next character he should ruin?
I say let him ruin Spider-Man.
>>
>>78232770
>They would treat Superman with more respect than this.
>>
>>78232863
He's Superman. He is suppose to have complete control over his abilities. He's not like the Incredible Hulk or a Mutant who can't control their powers and blow everything up.
Though at this point, the Hulk and X-Men are more compassionate and inspiring than Superman (especially Superman).
Hulk even used his super math skills to save tons of lives and not kill people. I wish Modern Superman was like that.
>>
>>78233028
>he is supperman, hes supposed to never make mistakes and be perfect all the time, specially when he was an inexperienced teenager
>>
>>78233028
>He's not like the Incredible Hulk or a Mutant who can't control their powers and blow everything up.
Based on what? He's been shown in movies and comics and even an entire TV show how he did not have complete mastery of his powers from the get go. They showed up little by little in his youth, surprised him when they did, and he needed to learn how to control them so they wouldn't be a problem for the world around him, and in gaining that control he developed an arsenal of abilities that he uses while fighting evildoers. The only power I recall seeing him have from the get go is his strength, but everything else came in time, and needed to learn to be controlled...unless you have evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>78233028
>>78232863
While we're at it why the fuck couldn't Bruce Wayne just avenge his parents right after they were murdered?
I mean the second they were murdered he was BatGod right?
>>
>>78219832
They don't feel like teenagers, they feel like sitcom actors. Being teenagers is usually being confused and awkward. Like, I guess "nothatsokay" wasn't bad but rest of the page falls kinda flat.
>>
>>78233078
>>78233128
Man, he went all out and you morons still replied to him seriously...
>>
>>78233149
That may be. But I believe there are people literally that retarded on the internet, so lets agree to disagree.
>>
>>78229154
why is frodo dressed as cyborg in a supes shirt?
>>
>>78233078
It's True though. That's why he's called SUPERman, not EDGYman.
>>
>>78219876
Does everyone fucking know he has powers or does this sheriff expect a fucking teenager to tell him who the murders were?
>>
>>78233431
>Does everyone fucking know he has powers
Yes, all of Smallville know
>>
>>78233226
Whatever makes you feel smarter, champ.
>>
>>78233462
That's dumb
>>
>>78221178
Fucking this. Damn, you got it on the money.
>>
>>78220469
Alan Moore is a retarded douchebag.
>>
>>78219832
>>
>>78220322
Your first paragraph is wrong.

All Star Superman is a very good summary of what Superman has been for 75 years.
>>
>>78233538
thats interesting, i think the idea of a community that knows that one of its citizens have superpowers and adapts to it is really cool
>hey maudelaine, you saw what the kent boy did yesterday
>no jude, what happened?
>aparently while paying basketball he jumped so high he literally went through the roof
>you dont say?
>yea janice says he is working cleaning the school after hours until he can pay it back
>these kids today, martha sure did a number on that boy
>>
>>78220322
>It actually really bothers me that Superman has been wussified so much over the last 7 years that he's apparently not allowed to fight bad guys anymore.
Superman only stands to get put in his place by Batman now. ASS is definitely not the story that put him in that position.
>>
>>78221127
>To death
>They have sound balloons and are shown to retain their body heat
>>
>>78233760
No, All-Star is summary of what Superman has been for over 30 years since his inception until Kirby took over.
Like, Morrison has a boner for Silver Age/Golden Age throwback and everyone knows that, All-Star is just "Batman of Zur-En-Arrh" for Supes.
>>
>>78219932
Remember when Superman use to be Fun? I miss when Superman use to be Fun....
>>
>>78233760
It touches on nothing from the Golden age.
>>
>>78234048
I mean you could read the book where he's a professional wrestler against other metas? Nah, probably easier to be a whiny brat, huh?
>>
File: 1438443749377.png (24 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1438443749377.png
24 KB, 500x500
>>78219903
> implying Supes can't banter with his pals
>>
>>78228930
>Superman stabs Zod with a Kryptonite shard and taunts him for lulz (taking pleasure in his pain)

Max Landis is literally the edgiest Superman writer.
I hope he never writes a Superman movie.
>>
>>78228840
You should of expected this from Max Landis. The man loves making Superman edgy. From stabbing Zod and taunting him to shooting the joker. The first issue was just to lure you into a false sense of security and comfyness then BAM hits you with the same gritty edgyness in all his comics and scripts.
>>
>>78220662
>landis is so arrogant
>I could do a much better job!
kek
>>
>>78237637
To be fair. Anyone could do a better job than Max "edgelord" Landis. Even Bendis could do a better job at writing Superman than him.
>>
I think the idea of Clark not really knowing what he's doing and fucking up kinda badly fighting his first bad guys is pretty neat, but I draw the line at permanently maiming someone.

Also I've always liked the idea that everyone in Smallville knows that Clark has powers but everyone has the sense to keep that shit on the DL.
>>
>>78219932
>this ain't your daddy's queer Superman. this is the new and improved gritty edgy Superman
>>
>>78220811
>using Linkara as a frame of reference
>>
This is some really good Supes.
>>
Holy shit it's like I'm in a MoS thread.
>>
>>78242198
>good Supes
>melts people's arms off
/b/ pls leave. And take your edginess with you.
>>
I guess what Max Landis meant about this being the "opposite of All-Star Superman" is that it's joyless and needlessly edgy.
>>
>>78242198
I know, right? I always love it when they make Superman edgy and have him mutilate people like Jigsaw. Because that's how Superman should be! This Superman, Griffith, and Dr Doom are my favorite heroes!
>>
>>78243028
Why does this thread continue to get complaints, yet the poster count isn't going up?
>>
Hiroyuki really needs to wordfilter edgy into something.
>>
>>78243092
It's Tumblr. They wanna take our needlessly edgy Superman that gets shit done away from us and turn him into a boring faggot boyscout.
We need to for our own GamerGate (SuperGate) and fight them. Maybe start sending death threats to Mark Waid and Kurt Busiek. That will teach those Fags!
>>
>>78219932
dropped
which is sad because i thought the first issue was kinda fun. this is something teen titans go would make fun of. why does evey superman book need to be so violent and gory? why is dc obsessed with making superman so gritty and violent? would making a lighthearted superman book kill dc?
>>
>>78220419
This is probably one of the most interesting things in the issue, although it actually appears in the Doomed story line that most of Smallville had some understanding on one level or another than Clark wasn't quite the same as the other boys from that part of Kansas.

But it's one of the few interesting things here.
>>
>>78243396
>would making a lighthearted superman book kill dc?

In the long run, yes, it would because lighthearted "fun" does not sell.
>>
>>78220455
>when Johns ruined Billy by making him a jerk.
>>78220477
Anon #1 has a point here, especially about Billy Batson (more in the sense that Billy, in the JL back ups written by Johns, doesn't really seem as worthy as an individual should be to be the Wizard's champion and for those powers to be bestowed upon him - he's too much of a shit for that).

I don't know that 'kiss my ass' is that much of a swear. He's not calling Pete an asshole (or even 'a-hole') it's pretty tame, and when I first read the book, it kinds washed over me as the lesser of anything going on to perturbed me or anyone else, but I can see multiple sides of the issue. I'd go with it was pretty clear he was joking around and that kids would say - is it any different than the episode where Beaver calls some a "big, dumb _____" and gets sent to the principal's office for swearing.
>>
>>78220455
>It's like when Johns ruined Billy by making him a jerk.

Johns' Billy is okay. It's just updated because nobody would take a kid character who's akin to a fucking saint seriously, it's too corny unless you're intentionally doing a kiddy throwback comic, which wouldn't gel at all with DC main publishing line.
>>
>>78220555
>>78220579
The real problem with this particular issue is the focus. There isn't really one. I think Landis was trying to show how Clark decides to become a hero, and some of the details here, the sheriff wanting his help, more people than Pete and Lana knowing, do help, but there's just too much going on and it's unfocused and, frankly rushed.

The first issue had the focus of Jonathan and Martha, as parents and Clark as their child, discovering something unique and unusual about him, and it's about fear, by all of them, and how they deal with that and deal with each other. Personally, I think that story has been told better but that's essentially what the first issue was about, so there was no out of place detail.

You don't really hear the screaming about the broken mirror in the Movie in the Park scenes like you are hearing about the drug lord, the murder, the family hostage taking, etc., the swearing, etc. Because in context with everything else, including the end dialogue by Clark and his conversation with Jonathan, it all falls into place with some sense of logic and focus.

Here, there's just too much going on. Is this a book about him and Lana about to get it on, because her folks are out of town. It's pretty clear this isn't a common occurrence or that it's happened before, so the entire book could have been about that - and people would have called it 'edgy' since it's Superman losing his (and presumably taking someone else') virginity. The pages spent on that could have been better spent on something defining a relationship where the sheriff has Clark use his super senses to solve some crime, even a crime involving gun fire. Describing someone's brains being shot out and feeling their blood, Clark's heat vision tearing someone's limbs off (frankly, the guy would more likely be totally dead and simply ash) is just gore for show and horror effect, 'Look Pa, I'm a brilliant writer too.'
>>
>>78230954
There are some college stories. In fact, there's some Action Comics ones that make a whole point about covering that 'previously' lost era of Superman stories. College is also where he met Lori (the telepathic mermaid) in the Golden Age/Silver Age books - not sure exactly when it happens ATM). I know she's in the post Byrne books and she's still telephathic and a mermaid but I'm not sure if it's also in college.
>>
>>78220469
>alan moore regrets ftmwhe

Thats Killing Joke your thinking of he loves for the man who has everything
>>
File: binx.png (196 KB, 263x258) Image search: [Google]
binx.png
196 KB, 263x258
>>78224396
>>
>>78220239
Really? I thought the art was shit
>>
>>78233078
>And when writers actually do that
>ermegerd superman is so unrelatable, nothing can beat him, he's so boring
>>
File: not muh spoopermang.jpg (135 KB, 535x703) Image search: [Google]
not muh spoopermang.jpg
135 KB, 535x703
>>78219778
>This thread
Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.