[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUCKING KRYPTONITE AND WHY IT'S A SHITTY RELIC THAT NEEDS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8
File: Kryptonite-Batman-V-Superman.jpg (517 KB, 1538x855) Image search: [Google]
Kryptonite-Batman-V-Superman.jpg
517 KB, 1538x855
FUCKING KRYPTONITE AND WHY IT'S A SHITTY RELIC THAT NEEDS TO BE FOREVER RETIRED FROM DC CANON
1) Superman already has several weaknesses and does not need one so intantaneously crippling. It takes the concept of an achilles heel to a ridiculous level. Moreover, he's in the fucking DC universe and there are dozens of both villains and heroes capable of challenging or defeating him. The fact that he can be incapacitated so easily just serves to make him a joke.
2) Every story that actually hinges on superman being an impressive force, wheter with him as the villain(Injustice) or with him as the only hero powerful enough to stop a high-level villain(Darkseid) immediately falls apart because hey, why don't they just use kryptonite?
3) It's an overused, stupid deus ex machina. We need superman stopped? How convenient, we just have this kryptonite right here!
4)This is quite possibly the worst addition to the mythology of any character ever made, and I can't stress this enough, FUCK KRYPTONITE.
>>
File: best k.jpg (114 KB, 632x415) Image search: [Google]
best k.jpg
114 KB, 632x415
Pink K thread.
>>
>>78191653
1) So what? I like that he has several weaknesses it's cool
2) Does anyone besides like Lex and his friends even know about kryptonite?
3) Not even true
4) Why?
>>
FUCKING FIRE AND WHY IT'S A SHITTY RELIC THAT NEEDS TO BE FOREVER RETIRED FROM DC CANON
1) J'onn already has several weaknesses and does not need one so instantaneously crippling. It takes the concept of an Achilles heel to a ridiculous level. Moreover, he's in the fucking DC universe and there are dozens of both villains and heroes capable of challenging or defeating him. The fact that he can be incapacitated so easily just serves to make him a joke.
2) Every story that actually hinges on J'onn being an impressive force, whether with him as the villain(Injustice) or with him as the only hero powerful enough to stop a high-level villain(Darkseid) immediately falls apart because hey, why don't they just use fire?
3) It's an overused, stupid deus ex machina. We need J'onn stopped? How convenient, we just have this fire right here!
4)This is quite possibly the worst addition to the mythology of any character ever made, and I can't stress this enough, FUCK FIRE!

FUCKING YELLOW AND WHY IT'S A SHITTY RELIC THAT NEEDS TO BE FOREVER RETIRED FROM DC CANON
1) GL already has several weaknesses and does not need one so instantaneously crippling. It takes the concept of an Achilles heel to a ridiculous level. Moreover, he's in the fucking DC universe and there are dozens of both villains and heroes capable of challenging or defeating him. The fact that he can be incapacitated so easily just serves to make him a joke.
2) Every story that actually hinges on GL being an impressive force, whether with him as the villain(Injustice) or with him as the only hero powerful enough to stop a high-level villain(Darkseid) immediately falls apart because hey, why don't they just use yellow?
3) It's an overused, stupid deus ex machina. We need Green lantern stopped? How convenient, we just have this yellow right here!
4)This is quite possibly the worst addition to the mythology of any character ever made, and I can't stress this enough, FUCK YELLOW!
>>
>>78191757
Ironically they did that with Yellow
>>
>>78191781
Unironically did that with fire too, though I still stand by Kryptonite.
>>
File: FUCK BULLETS.png (290 KB, 575x288) Image search: [Google]
FUCK BULLETS.png
290 KB, 575x288
FUCKING BULLETS AND WHY IT'S A SHITTY RELIC THAT NEEDS TO BE FOREVER RETIRED FROM DC CANON
1) Batman already has several weaknesses and does not need one so instantaneously crippling. It takes the concept of an Achilles heel to a ridiculous level. Moreover, he's in the fucking DC universe and there are dozens of both villains and heroes capable of challenging or defeating him. The fact that he can be incapacitated so easily just serves to make him a joke.
2) Every story that actually hinges on Batman being an impressive force, whether with him as the villain or with him as the only hero powerful enough to stop a high-level villain immediately falls apart because hey, why don't they just use bullets?
3) It's an overused, stupid deus ex machina. We need Batman stopped? How convenient, we just have these bullets right here!
4)This is quite possibly the worst addition to the mythology of any character ever made, and I can't stress this enough, FUCK BULLETS!
>>
>>78191757
they did that with yellow and the martian manhunter has a valid reason for fearing fire which enriches the story of his character. also what are those other weaknesses? unlike superman ha has a defense against psychic attacks, is immune to red sun rays, and i guess magic affects him but it does everyone
>>
Any other characters that have stupid weaknesses we can start making this shit copy-pasta.

Hows'a bout Wolverine and little girls?

FUCKING LITTLE GIR-

Oh no wait...
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 383x368) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 383x368
>>78191781
>yellow repels green
>blue strengthens green
>red is equal

Huh.
>>
>>78191749
>Not even true

200 episodes of smallville disagree
>>
>>78191653
i think it's cool. it ties into his whole radiation-as-a-superpower powerset. everything about him is radiation. yellow sun radiation powers him up, red reduces him to normal much faster than simply cutting off the supply of yellow, radioactivity leftover from krypton's star exploding all over the planet interferes with his yellow sun powers and makes him super weak and sick and susceptible to illness, but red sunlight makes him much less weak to the kryptonite... it all works great. Buuuut I don't like the bunch of different types, fuck that stuff.
>>
>>78191979
you can't use smallville to criticize superman, that's like using lois and clark to criticize the level of action in superman, or the brave and the bold for the level of drama
>>
>>78192016
Just like with the rings, they kinda went over-board with the variety of colors.

I'm surprised no one made kryptonite lantern rings.
>>
How does he even keep getting near the stuff, he has the best senses on the planet, he should always be able to vaporize it from afar

>lead

hey clark, you see someone carrying a lead box, try to deduce why that might be, you're a fucking journalist
>>
>>78192071
No they didn't you shitter. Non-green kryptonite barely shows up after the Golden Age, and when it does it's just red.
>>
>>78192069
The Red K episodes of Smallville were the best pleberman
>>
>>78192096
Supes still has a human-ish mind, he's not cross referencing data from all of his different visions and senses at all times.
>>
>>78191979
Oh so you're a casual that hates kryptonite because of Smallville?
That's understandable.
>>
>>78192016
So let's have wonder woman immediately be paralyzed by the presence of technology and the flash by the presence of couch potatoes. and cyborg should instantly get a stroke when he's in an area without cellphone reception
>>
>>78192209
>and the flash by the presence of couch potatoes
What?

I mean. Flash is slower around Captain Cold and vibe can fuck over his connection to the speed force.
>>
>>78192209
The fuck are you even going on about?
>>
>>78192313
>>78192338
superman immediately falls down flat and starts dying when he's even in a certain radius of a stupid rock. give me something similar that does that to any other justice leaguer. i think johns even retconned arthur's dependence on water so much even though that one at least made some sense.
>>
>>78192109
Kryptonite was big in the Silver Age with the planet-juggling superman, but we really don't need it anymore. Or it should at least affect him more slowly and to a lesser degree
>>
>>78192550
If you actually read comics, they did do that in the latter parts of preNu52verse, and even now they could easily do it again if the story demands it.
>>
File: lex.jpg (121 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
lex.jpg
121 KB, 1920x816
KRRRRRRRRYPTONITE
>>
I'm just bugged by the fact Kryptonite was introduced not in the comics, but in the radio show because the guy playing Superman got fucking lazy.
>>
>>78192612
>if the story demands it.

you mean if the story needs a lazy way of jobbing Superman. When has kryptonite ever been really necessary to introduce since the silver age?
>>
I think it's cool that Kryptonite can actually cause cancer in humans if they actually have prolonged physical contact with it.

There was also a variant called "Slow K" that causes the same immediate effects to humans as regular K does to Superman
>>
>>78192734
Read comics to find out. It played a major part in just about every great or good run, and almost every character defining limited.
>>
Rather than lower the bar on Superman, the other should up their game to reach him. Talk shit about Goku all you want, but he will work hard to reach new levels.
>>
>>78192487
Batman and his dead parents
>>
>>78192651
>The guy playing Superman got fucking lazy.
Umm no. He got 2 weeks paid vacation as a part of a normal contract. The writers came up with kryptonite as the reason the titular character was absent from his own show.
>>
>>78192773
Why is that cool? Prolonged smoking causes cancer to humans. Shit some studies say oxygen itself causes cancer in humans. Radiation causess cancer in humans. Humans have plenty of shit to deal with already
>>
>>78192816
But comics, even shitty cape hero comics, aren't about powerlevel wanking. This is why Kryptonite is great, you can take down Supes in a slobberknockers, but can also have more human elements serve as possible threats.
>>
>>78192209
uh, they also have their thematic strengths and weaknesses. wonder woman is made of magic, and her foes.. er.. also she's made of asskicking but ...
okay, does wonder woman HAVE villains?
anyway that's how i'd write it. different kinds of magic clash with hers. and good enough fighting skills.
meanwhile flash is absolutely beaten by things that counteract the source of his power. Like he's fast as fuck, so mirrormaster does the only thing faster, literal teleportation. also lasers and shit. and the trickster lays traps and shit for him to run into.
cyborg, being a cyborg, is vulnerable to computer virus shit, hacking, EMP, etc. also getting a job or a cab
why do you have a problem with superman's powerset having lots of increase and decrease mechanics?
>>
>>78192651
>lazy
dude he was like, dying. he got some really bad pneumonia or someshit people used to get
>>
>>78192782
you mean it was essential in what's so funny about truth justice and the american way, for the man who has everything, all-star superman, whatever happened to the man of tomorrow and so on? go such a dick. if you want to play "hurr you don't read comics " card give me some actual fucking examples
>>
>>78192966
Please, just read comics. They're good, I swear!
>>
>>78191653
I don't know about other books but I've been reading Action Comics since the start of the Truth arc and I haven't seen Kryptonite used. Nor in any other Superman stories I've read before that, except All-Star.
>>
>>78192992
not if they have kryptonite in them.
>>
>>78192966
>What's so funny and FtmwhE
No
>All Star, WhttMoT
Yes, black Kryptonite is important to the Jimmy story in All Star it's an important plot point that the buff Superman gets from Lex's plot renders him immune to green K, Kryptonite Man and Gold Kryptonite are important to Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.
Soooo, you're dumb.
>>
>>78192904
what you said about the flash aren't vulnerabilities. the mirror master's teleportation is faster than his speed, that's like saying superman's weakness is darkseid's strength is stonger than his.even captain cold has to actually hit him with the cold gun, he doesn't become apoplectic when the cold gun is in his presence
>>
>>78193113
no kryptonite only serves to yet again shit up a story in all-star. superman gets supercharged, has to face his mortality, eventually lex realizes he should be saved, blah blah. that's the story. that's all the story should be.
>>
>>78192487
>give me something similar that does that to any other justice leaguer
Certain vibrational frequencies instantly remove flashes speed. Simply being around captain cold slows him right down.
>>
>>78193279
from attoseconds to nanoseconds?
>>
>>78193146
>even captain cold has to actually hit him with the cold gun
No he doesn't
>>78193146
>he doesn't become apoplectic when the cold gun is in his presence
>he doesn't become apoplectic when the cold gun is in his presence
Cold can beat him in a fist fight just with his cold aura.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpl6ncyxLGw
>>
>>78193253
But the Jimmy story was good.
>>
>>78193317
In the case of vibrational stuff, from attoseconds to regular speed. In the case of cold, he is maybe a smidge faster than a regular guy, but his shit fighting ability sees him get rocked by cold.
>>
>>78193390
Sorry about the link on an image board (at work). But here is what fighting up close with cold is like:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/120267/3161976-5197277501-26272.jpg
>>
>>78193426
and more

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/60791/2685328-03.jpg

Point is. Flash works on a vibration level, fuck with that and you hamstring him.

If superman works on a radioactive level (I'm not a supes fan, don't know), it makes sense that playing with that weakens him.
>>
>>78193361
okay, fair enough. cold is a villain though. he's not an inanimate object. you can have a superman villain who emits a radiation that hurts him, it doesn't have to be a rock anyone can use
>>
>>78192884
Or not have Superman work with street level heroes, because the type of threats that he take on will--not might or maybe, but WILL kill a person on Batman's level.
>>
>>78193457
red sun rays are basically a better done kryptonite
>>
>>78192144
the first one was fun, after that they were all shit
>>
>>78193482
Cold was just an example.

There exists a vibrational frequency that disconnects the Flash from the speed force. Is that a better non-villain specific example?
>>
>>78193490
but even batman can hold off superman, that's the thing. and he can do it in creative ways that are fun to see. like in DKRP2 based on the comic. he shoots sonics at him which hurts his sensitive ears, he uses electic gloves which caused half the city to go dark to shock him, he invents a suit that alllows him to surive the fight for a while. in one book he invents red sun lamps. then, and character with psychic power can fuck his shit up. and character with magic power. in all star luthor tricks him into overcharging. that's CREATIVE. it's fun. but no, let's just expose him to kryptonite instead
>>
You're right, we should make Superman even more powerful. That'll make the people like him!
>>
>>78191891
blue weakens red actually
>>
>>78192159

Which is funny because it's implied he does in all ages of the comics.
>>
>>78193906
as if he's that more powerful than wonder woman, MM, shazam, captain atom, supergirl, power girl, or any of his stronger villains(zod, doomsday, the parasite can leech his power, brainiac constantly challenges him, and so on.)
>>
File: maxresdefault[3].jpg (114 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[3].jpg
114 KB, 1280x720
IF I GO CRAZY THEN WILL YOU STILL CALL ME SUPERMAN
>>
Personally I always liked Byrne's weak superman. He was still formidable without being ridiculous. But you know DC, they have to go ridiculous.
>>
>>78193849
and then you make an interesting story with a de-powered flash trying to outwit the bad guy. if the flash is however on the ground convulsing in pain, i don't see what you can do with that story
>>
>>78192487
You would do the same around a "stupid rock" of plutonium.
>>
>>78192651
Yeah, and? So was Jimmy Olsen. Jerry Siegel was heavily involved with all of the Superman shit at the time.
>>
>>78192904
>does Wonder Woman even have villains?

Why are you even here?
>>
>>78194188
[gundam wing AMV intensifies]
>>
>>78191653
>FUCKING KRYPTONITE AND WHY IT'S A SHITTY RELIC THAT NEEDS TO BE FOREVER RETIRED FROM DC CANON
Shitcasualssay.flv
>>
>tfw BVS has eisenberg getting a hold of kryptonite

i bet you superman is just gonna charge into the room like a retard and then be surprised when he starts dying. well, it has been a while since we've seen a movie luthor expose him to K.
>>
>>78194349
that's not how radiation works anon. you wouldn't even feel sick for hours and you'd stay standing for days. shit maybe weeks
>>
>>78193901
>DKRP2
>when Superman really doesn't want to fight him
"Heat vision lobotomy from orbit" will never stop being a threat from a Superman that actually wants to murder people and has a clear enough head to think of it
>>
>>78194588

>heat vision vaporization of kryptonite from orbit
>>
>>78193482
Who is Metallo?
>>
>>78194521
I think they said that there wasn't going to be Kryptonite in the DCCU but that could have changed.
>>
>>78194975
>>
>>78193901
Superman had just taken a nuke to face as well. And Batman fucking dies (even if it is to fake his own death) in the fight.
>>
>>78195010
Ah well then I retract my statement.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.