[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IRON FIST Auditions Caucasian AND Asian-American Actors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 18
File: IronFist7.jpg (448 KB, 900x1405) Image search: [Google]
IronFist7.jpg
448 KB, 900x1405
>Marvel Studios isn't limiting it's search for Iron Fist to Caucasian actors, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Marvel has held tryouts for both Caucasian males and Asian-American males according to the Hollywood trade.

>In comic books, Iron Fist is Danny Rand, a Caucasian boy who is orphaned on the doorstep of a mystical land called K'un L'un. He's taken in and taught the ways of being an Iron Fist, ultimately becoming one himself.

>Iron Fist has been in development through Marvel for over a decade, starting life as a feature film in which Scottish martial artist and actor Ray Park, best known as Toad from X-Men and Darth Maul from Star Wars was cast as the lead.

>No release date has been set for Iron Fist.

http://www.newsarama.com/27161-marvel-audition-asian-american-actors-for-iron-fist.html

Where were you when they won
>>
>>78187600
It's entirely possible they're just doing this to pick a white guy anyway. Then, when people complain, they can point to this and say, "Hey, we tried."

Could be ass-covering and nothing more.
>>
>>78187600
>no mexican danny
>no black danny
racist bastards
>>
That's racist.
>>
>http://www.newsarama.com/27161-marvel-audition-asian-american-actors-for-iron-fist.html
> according to The Hollywood Reporter. Marvel has held tryouts for both Caucasian males and Asian-American males according to the Hollywood trade.
Who the hell wrote this? What moron would use "according to" in concurrent sentences. I'm going to find you, George Marston, and slap the shit out of you with my literary cock.

>Sources have told The Hollywood Reporter that the clamor actually reached the ears of Marvel and Netflix, who met with Asian-American actors in consideration for the lead, but that the series, which finally revealed its showrunner on Monday (former Dexter executive producer Scott Buck), is now leaning toward keeping Iron Fist white.
>leaning toward keeping Iron Fist white
lol
>>
>no Black ones

Ok then Marvel, you racist bastards. Fuck off.
>>
>>78188314
Oh hold on, it gets better. From HR's shitty site they list three reasons why it would be better to have an Asian Danny:
1) It would correct a legacy of cultural appropriation.
2) It would provide a fresh story in a cluttered landscape.
3) If done correctly, it may rake in even more from an Asian market.

Fuck you, Rebecca Sun.
>>
Pretty sure, it's because this thing got so big, it reached a legitimate HOLLYWOOD TRADE PUBLICATION.

Let that sink in.
>>
>>78187600
So the one guy with Martial Arts powers has to be Asian? Isn't that like double racist?
>>
File: ok.jpg (29 KB, 375x305) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
29 KB, 375x305
>>78187600
>>
>>78188357

Man, stealing the Lion King theme from some African artist is cultural appropriation.

Non-academics have become so loose with that word.
>>
>>78188357
I'm glad people are calling her out in the comments, after she seems to imply the only reason Iron Fist is Danny Rand, and not Danny Chen, is because Marvel thought it was risky having an Asian Kung-Fu lead during the 70's. While conveniently leaving out Shang-Chi; Master of Kung-Fu, who came out earlier AND had more issues than Danny. The reason why he was paired with Luke was to save them both from the chopping-block. Danny being a white, rich guy, to Luke's Street-smart, black guy, was part of their success as a duo.
>>
>>78188469
I'm pretty sure eating at Chipotle or Olive Garden is Cultural Appropriation now.
>>
none of these people seem to know Danny is not the first Iron Fist
>>
>>78187829
That's actually kind sad when you think about it.
I'd hate for some Asian actor to just be getting strung along.
It'd be like being that jewish kid a jewish chick dated just so she could tell her parents she doesn't like jewish boys.
Also
>Caucasian means white
>>
>>78188731
I'm sure they aren't seriously considering any Asian actors for the role. They'll take the audition, say thank you, and move on to the blonde guy.
>>
>>78188731
I know, but I hope if they're good enough we see them as a past Iron Fist, or Immortal Weapon.
>>
>>78187600

Luke Cage and Iron Fist are two characters whose races should never be changed. They're too integral to their origins, their characterisations and their dynamic with one another.
>>
>>78188617
isn't he the 64th?
>>
>>78187600
The toy and cartoon are already white.

Why are are we having this discussion?
>>
>>78187600
I thought the whole point was that he's not Asian? Casting a black or latino actor would've made more sense.
>>
>>78188890
exactly this. the juxtaposition of rich white guy and street black guy and how they both teach each other shit is integral to their characters, the team dynamic and also in improving society.

this recent trend from 'progressives' of segregating the races is totally fucking backwards
>>
>>78189019
>black
ruins luke dynamic
>latin
eh, i guess that would be alright
>>
>>78188890
Thankyou. All the focus on is Danny in K'un-lun. That's ONE-HALF, not the whole of him. And, even then they twist his arrival there, and Marvel's reasoning for creating him.

>He arrived in K'un-Lun aged NINE, not an adult, and not even with the explicit intention to train.
>He was not created by Marvel to cash-in on Kung-Fu without an Asian lead, Shang-chi already existed. The are also different Martial Artist in Marvel that are different ethnicities.

His character is all about racial-privilege. He is one of the few white characters to recognise this, and transcend it, use his privilege to help others. He realises his racial privilege in America, because he never had if for the majority of his life in KL..
>>
Everyone who wants an Asian Iron Fist are only think of Danny Rand in a vacuum context of Kun Lun, and not of his eventual return to Western society and relationship with Luke Cage.
>>
>>78188938
66th
>>
>>78189194
He had one of the first biracial kisses in comics.
>>
>>78189194
BOOM.
>>
>>78189247
>>78189247
you mean interracial
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 640x945) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 640x945
The company cares too much about synergy to change this.
>>
>>78189194
It honestly seems like the people who started the "Asian-Ameican Danny Rand" campaign skimmed his first couple of paragraphs on wikipedia, stated he was "2 problematic 4 me", and then tried to change his race, without even thinking if their suggestion would, ya know, actually fit in the context of his character.

Protip: It doesn't.
>>
>>78189284
my bad, english is not my first language.
>>
I find this incredibly racist. He knows Kung Fu so he's Asian?
>>
>>78189194
Or in the context of the comic he featured in, which had an Three Asians, one Latino and two black people. All of which were martial artists.

When Carl Douglas sang that "Everybody was Kung Fu fighting", he wasn't fucking around.
>>
>>78189359
To be fair it's as easy as changing the bit of hair in the back to black.
Plus it' snot like that's going to be the live action costume either.
People say Synergy then they ignore that shit in movie and cartoons doesn't look shit like in comics and they don't even look like eachother.
Luke Cage didn't become like teenage Powerman and the teenage Powerman is barely in any comics, hell he's not even on the cover of the comics he's actually in.
>>
>be Asian
>have Immortal Iron Fist be one of my favorite runs
>Asian Iron Fist gets cast
>"oh you like it just because the dude's asian and can kung fu right?"
Oh I fucking hate this
>>
>>78187829
Or they're looking for someone to be Shang Chi, Davos or Sun Lin.
>>
>>78189498
he can be mixed asian and just be blonde. his toy look wouldnt change at all.
>>
>>78189504

That's another thing -- how fucked up is it that SJWs think making the martial arts hero asian because asians do the martial arts hurr hurr hurr is progressive in any way?

It's true what they say: the far left is literally just as racist as the far right in a different way.
>>
>>78189562
Honestly, the whole "Asian-American reconnecting to his culture, by learning Kung-Fu", could be played well with Sun Lin. Who's actually Chinese-American. I hope the sons at least get a mention in the show.
>>
>>78189634
It's called "The Horse-Shoe theory", and if Tumblr's taught me anything, it's fucking real.
>>
>>78189642
>Honestly, the whole "Asian-American reconnecting to his culture, by learning Kung-Fu"
That's a very different story to the Danny Rand story though, and kind of racist in itself.

It's essentially saying ethnicity trumps culture, and you can only be genuine if you stick to your own kind.

But then the extreme left thinks assimilation is evil these days.
>>
>>78188455
Who could they cast as Saitama? Could Saitama learn k'un l'un martial arts
>>
>>78189498
I just realized, for Marvel 'synergy' is just code for 'change the comics to match the other shit'
>>
>>78189714
That's literally what these people believe though. That culture is intrinsically tied to race.
>>
>>78189714
God, I know, but this is what the "DANNY SHOULD BE AA" camp keep toting. It's double-edged, for sure.
>>
>>78187600
>Where were you when they won

They won years ago, anon. Idris Elba is apparently going to be platin Roland from the Dark Tower. Though this may lead to first keking of a black man by a white guy on film
>>
>>78189792
Which is such bullshit. Also, explains why they hate a white Danny Rand, because CLEARLY he is automatically a "mightwhitey/cultural appropriator", even though he was raised there since he was a child. K'un-Lunian culture IS his culture. But, their US-Centric minds can't wrap their heads around that.
>>
>>78189877
Roland's race isn't really relevant to him as a character, though is it?
>>
>>78189877
>Though this may lead to first keking of a black man by a white guy on film
Chris Pine just did that in a movie with Chewitel Ejiofor and Margot Robbie this year. Will Smith also got keked in Hancock
>>
Watch them get a blonde guy and laugh. The best Asian candidate will be Shang-Chi.
>>
>>78188383
Remember when /co/ wanted Donald Glover to play Peter in the "Amazing Spider-Man" reboot?
That eventually led into Miles Morales.
>>
>>78189917

Not especially but his interactions with Odetta will have to be completely reworked
>>
>>78190028
Ehh they could just have Odetta call him an uncle tom instead of a honkey.
Honestly as long as they give him some decent colored contacts and make him look a bit weathered i don't mind the casting.
>>
I'll just C/P myself.

The crux of the situation is people frustrations at the lack of acting roles and therefore representation of Asian males in Hollywood. It seems like people latched on to Iron Fist, because he seems the 'most Asian' on the outset, even though ironically they've chosen the most intrinsically white character to try and race bend. Seriously, compare Dr Strange's online reaction to Iron Fist, nobody's spamming the "mighty whitey" TVTropes page, even though he could be seen as more of one, as he traveled to Tibet as an Adult, but Danny was raised there since he was nine years old. What young immigrant wouldn't want to buckle down and succeed, especially if there was discrimination involved. That tempered it, past/future Asian fists temper it, too.

Perhaps, it's because Steven is a practitioner of the mystic arts, rather than martial arts, a traditionally Asian discipline.
>>
>>78190028
Ah.
>>
I feel like there's a double standard when it comes to cultural appropriation. SJWs say that if he isn't white it removes CA but doesn't that mean they are defining all asians as one culture?
>>
>>78190730
SJWs are incredibly racist.
>>
If SJWs are so obviously racist, why do people keep listening to them?
>>
>>78190015
No we didn't. That was tumblr, as always.
>>
>>78190730
"People of color" is such a racist term too.

We're not all the same so don't you lump us together, white guilt honkies.
>>
>>78189943
They should make his father the real Mandarin since they can't use Fu Manchu.
>>
>>78191181

Same reason people keep listening to right wingers who are obviously racist.

A lot of people are obviously racist.
>>
>>78191181
Its all about phrasing.
>>
>>78189642
>Asian-American reconnecting to his culture
I've always found this idea to be pretty racist. Your genes do not determine your culture or identity. If he's born in the states, he's no more tied to that culture than a white guy.
>>
>>78193103
Plus either it's just being racist and saying all cultures are the same or they want to change it so he's descended from natives of K'un Lun
>>
>>78189498
Yea but all incarnations of Luke Cage are still Black.

The new Iron Fist comic White, the toys White, the cartoon White.

This is gonna be the Mile Morales movie stuff all over again.
>>
>>78193387
They never even humored that though.
>>
>>78193418
Yea but every shithead website from io9 to MarySue was sure as fuck the next Spider-Man movie was gonna be Miles.

And they all got pissy when it wasn't.
>>
>>78187600
Why the fuck is this news? They shoukd have the casting open to everyone and then picking the best one like either any jobs.
>>
>>78188890
>>78189021
>>78189172
>>78189080
>>78189194
>>78189382

I don't see why an asian guy center do that rich/streets buddy cop dynanic. Hell Will and Carlton had it and they weren't just the same race, they were RELATED.
>>
Imma need Danny Rand to be white so he can start fucking Misty Knight and my kek dreams can come true.
>>
Asian-American Daniel Rand makes no sense for his character or what his character represents. The entire point of his character learning to become the Iron Fist was that he transcended the racial and sociocultural prejudices of being a white man living in an East Asian culture. It's not about cultural appropriation, it's about respecting their way of life and learning to transcend the boundaries of cultural barriers to become a weapon for righteousness.

The very principle of casting an Asian American actor is in itself a perpetuation of negative stereotypes that permeate in the comic book medium. Looking at the uncomfortable majority of Asian characters in comic books, they are either scientists (because Asians are good at math and science, right?) or martial artists (because Asians are all kung-fu masters like Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, right?). To say that just because a character studied martial artists in an Asian country, he should be Asian is so blatantly opposed to the ideal of eliminating racial insensitivity and the perpetuation of a healthy, racially inclusive medium that I can't understand why anyone would want it.

Furthermore, Luke and Danny's relationship as interracial black and white best friends, as well as Danny's relationship with Misty in an interracial black and white couple, was a huge stepping stone for race relations in comic books back in the 70's and 80's. Not making him white, I think, would be a disservice to his character and he's one of the few white characters in Marvel I think distinctly need to be white.

Though, I wouldn't mind a Latino or Middle Eastern Danny. But East Asian just has stereotype written all over it.
>>
>>78193595
Hollywood is pretty infamous for race casting. I believe the most recent kerfuffle was it got out the auditions for Tiger Lily in the new Pan movie were only open to white girls
>>
File: 1423776353825.jpg (296 KB, 1176x676) Image search: [Google]
1423776353825.jpg
296 KB, 1176x676
Gee if only there were an Asian super martial artist in Marvel.....
>>
File: mistyknight22.png (411 KB, 500x536) Image search: [Google]
mistyknight22.png
411 KB, 500x536
>>78193786

Misty/Danny for life yo
>>
>>78189504
I know that feeling.
>>
File: 1353571-shang_chi_respect.jpg (406 KB, 1184x943) Image search: [Google]
1353571-shang_chi_respect.jpg
406 KB, 1184x943
>>78194342

They could even have him show up Iron Fist in sparring or something
>>
Lets be honest, the real reason for the race swap is they can't find a white guy that knows kung fu. They will try to cover their ass when an Asian is cast, saying it is for diversity, when really it is racism.
>>
>>78195881
>is they can't find a white guy that knows kung fu.
That's a stupid reason considering stunt doubles exist. The only reason is for getting empty imaginary browny points since they follow the business model of any publicity is good publicity, and the easiest publicity is doing something that appears "progressive" that they know for a fact will get them trending on facebook or twitter or whatever.
>>
It just now dawned on me reading this thread that the whole reason Danny works so well as a white guy is the juxtaposition of his upbringing as an underprivileged minority with his status as an affluent white male when he returns to New York. Which makes the character actually more conscious of it than most I bet. They could actually tell a neat story about how Danny feels about the differences between Kun Lun and America.
>>
>>78187600
Didn’t Quesada said they already casted
Danny and had the actor do a chemistry test with the Luke Cage actor?
>>
>>78187600
What if they are casting for Orson Randall and another Iron Fist
>>
>>78188582
Olive Garden legitimately shits on the reputation of Italian Food though, so I don't mind if they're blasted with the "cultural appropriation" label. Their minestrone soup is offensive enough on its own.
>>
>>78196515
god i hope so, like over saturating on mythos could kill the series. but i hope there are hints of greater things like Stone and the hand and Madame Gao in DD
>>
>>78195408
>Luke backs up his boy Danny and doesn’t take anyone talking shit about him

He will even stand against Black power Gary Stu.
>>
>>78193693
>I don't see why an asian guy center do that rich/streets buddy cop dynanic.
The context is different. Rich Asians aren't the majority population and majority wealthy of the country. Danny learns to see past himself and his privilege, of both wealth and race. That story doesn't ring with the same note if he's Asian.
>>
Can't we all get along and find a good mixed race actor for Danny?
>>
>>78187600
I am 98% sure that Danny is actually a halfie. His father is from K'un-L'un, right? Or was that retconned?
>>
>>78197038
Danny has never been a halfie. His father was only obsessed with finding Kun Lun, not a native of it.
>>
>>78197038
I think his dad is like him.
He's white but found K'un Lun and spent a lot of time there.
>>
File: 1427736945624.gif (2 MB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
1427736945624.gif
2 MB, 320x200
>>78187600
I bet he's gonna be really good at math too!
>>
>>78195408
>Whatever man, I aint trying to hear all that.

BP almost caught a beat down talking shit about Danny.
>>
>>78187600
currently best thread on /co/ at the moment. not talking shit bout being asian. actually explaining why, in this situation, YOU DON'T FUCK with what was actually written. no blind shit flinging. you all seem like real fans. good luck gentlemen.
>>
File: 53b5ad0007dd8.jpg (124 KB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
53b5ad0007dd8.jpg
124 KB, 940x529
Awww, but it's actually cool to see Luke and Danny bro it up. It has an essential message behind it.

No offense to the Asian community, because it'd also be awesome if we do get to see an Asian hero in Marvels line on sometime soon.
>>
>>78187600
I don't care any more, so long as they get the best actor.

Danny needs to be an outsider, not white. Even a Chinaman is an outsider in a goddamn mystical, magic dimension kingdom.
>>
>>78195408
Shit Luke was about to bust BP up for talking shit on his boy.

Also Danny would with that fight, Shang is good but Danny's chi shinanigans blow Shang out the water.
>>
>>78197038
His dad was Orson Randall's ward.
>>
>>78197694
But if the "best actor" ruins the point then what's the point?
>>
>>78197775
To experience a different take on something and not expect a stale rehash.

Different isn't bad, it's just different.
>>
>>78187600
Iron Fist doesn't exactly need to be white, but he can't really be Asian
>>
>>78197829
Find me one story that is like Danny's and maybe I'll find that point valid, also if you want a new story then don't attach the name of an old one to it, make something new. This isn't a reboot of a reboot of a reimagining of Iron Fist it's the first serious Iron Fist production that isn't the comic, it should at least attempt to thematically be similar.
>>
>>78197710
>>78197480
>>78196843
>Implying Black Panther wouldn't just beat Luke Cage with nerve strikes.
>>
>>78191181
the squeaky wheel gets the grease
>>
>PC people demand token race characters
>years later complain how these token characters are cliche or based on stereotypes
>>
>>78197871
Kung fu Panda
>>
>>78197877
How can he get to Luke's nerves when his skin is Bullet proof? Also this isn't Silver Surfer we are talking about, it's Luke fucking Cage
>>
>>78197895
Which was made after Iron Fist and Po was not a discriminated minority that suddenly became a rich majority member, which is a hige point of Danny's story. Try again.
>>
>>78197898
LOL Silver Surfer is cosmic level faggotry, you can't get no higher than that.

Also BP has gone toe-to-toe with Captain America and survived. Cap is one of the best melee combatants in the MU.
>>
>>78197898
Black Panther, as of now, is facing off against Doom. On top of all that he's gone up against Namor, he might've not won, but that's a feat in it's own to keep up with him.
>>
>>78197950
Nah man BP made SS his bitch and Luke is Bullet proof so BP couldn't hurt him

Luke > BP > SS
>>
>>78197976
So? Luke is bulletproof
>>
>>78197990
>>78197978
BP has vibranium my friend. The shit that is mixed in Caps shield with a bunch of other shit. Vibranium can stop bullets. It can also pierce bullets.
>>
>>78198015
What part of Unbreakable skin doesn't get through to you? When you see the word unbreakable do you assume it means "able to be broken?"
>>
>>78198032
I don't know man. Luke has had his internal organs pounding to the point his unbreakable skin is a burden because modern medicine wouldn't be able to heal him.

Add this to BPs tactical genius is Luke loses every time.
>>
>>78197976
>>78197950
Silver Surfer isn't physically strong Which is dumb as fuck, it's really bad writing that's why he lost to BP
>>
>>78198057
Straight up in that situation where they were standing and talking Luke would have just slugged BP and that would be it, Luke is as strong as The Thing on a good day, which means stronger than Namor underwater. BP is great and given prep time I don't doubt his ability to win the fight but there is no reason why Luke wouldn't be able to win a prep less fight with Tchalla and if you use Doom as a feat then remember who Luke went half way across the globe to collect money from. Survived and got his fucking paper.
>>
>>78198070
Yes he is, the augmentations Galactus made to his body put him at about Spidey tier, and if he uses the power cosmic he can be way stronger.
>>
File: tumblr_l2jxvorNaq1qa4q3po1_500.jpg (136 KB, 500x261) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l2jxvorNaq1qa4q3po1_500.jpg
136 KB, 500x261
>>78198111
>>
How do you pronounce K'un Lun
>>
>>78190028
I was and am extremely upset by the news. However, if he does a good job, and if he looks and acts the part (piercing blu eyes, impatient, no imagination, grizzled, weathered etc) and if the rest of the cast is properly casted (like aaron paul for eddie) then i can forgive it. And he better not have the fucking horn of eld. Because it is not a continuation of the books (it makes sense if you read them all, trust me) its a retelling/elseworld
>>
>>78191702
This. Perfect way to solidly connect him to the MCU. That's always been kind of a problem for him, and people want to see the actual Chinese Mandarin, too. So, it's win/win.
>>
>>78198780
Coon-Loan?
Kun-Lawn?
Kama-Chameleon?
>>
>>78193257
The latter, pretty much. Which goes against the core tenant of his character. Let's be real they don't give a shit about Danny as a character, they just want an Asian lead in the MCU. Even people who have explained ANY other race could work (as all the ever focus on is him in KL, not street-level) , they are still met by a brick wall.
>>
>>78193786
Dis man, I need to see Misty and Danny get their swirl on. Can't let Luke and Jess have all the fun, they are the OG Swirl couple!
>>
>>78198780
Ku-un Lun I guess
>>
>>78198893
It's a shame there aren't any female black Power Rangers these days.
>>
>>78188469
isn't the lion king theme by elton john?
>>
>>78198780
>>78198855
>>78198911
pronounce it with its literal translation
cunt land
>>
>>78196294
This is EXACTLY it. He should be acutely aware of his racial privilege as a white man in America, after years of hardship as a lone white boy in K'un-Lun. After years of living in a KL/Asian supremacy, he's returned to America, where back under a "white supremacy", he is top of the food chain and has white privilege.

And, who's his best friend? A black dude from Harlem who like him in KL, experiences institutionalized racism in America.

A lot of good racial commentary would be lost if Danny didn't have a WASP background.

The fact that people don't or simply aren't willing to understand this about his character is driving me up the wall.
>>
>>78196475
When?
>>
>>78197521
It's because, Danny is one of the only white characters in comics, whose whiteness informs his story arcs and personal relationships. I could give less of a shit if a character is race-bended, when their race is irrelevant, but in Danny's case it's EXTREMELY relevant.

And, yeah it's not good to be racist to Asians. I get if people are pissed at people wanting AA Danny, but that's really not the way to do it. And, you'll just be obfuscating the situation into unneeded racism, when their are legit criticisms of that proposal.
>>
>>78197829
Stale rehash?

Since when have we saw Danny's origin, or anything similar on screen?
>>
>>78197898
Same way some Z lister ballerina did.
>>
>>78198780
according to Soul Calibur, Kün Lün
>>
>>78189248
>BOOM

GO. FUCK. YOURSELF.
>>
>>78198780
I've been pronouncing it like

>cun - Lunn
>>
>>78199085
Why? Because, I agree that he's right? That's been what a lottt of people have been doing.
>>
>>78189634
This is true. The lack of self-awareness of these "Protectors of the Coloreds" is hilarious to me. I'm black and all my friends who are also black cannot stand these condescending douchebags and publicly embarrass them into fetal positions every chance we get. At least Klansmen will be honest about their prejudices. These ding-a-lings try to justify it by patting you on the head like a pet and making out like they are doing you a favor.
>>
>>78199100
No. Because

>BOOM

is the "affirmative" of idiots.
>>
>>78199138
Dude, that was uncalled for. Apologize to this anon.
>>
>>78199150
>>78199100
You're right.

I'm sorry, anon. That was rude and uncalled for. Please accept my apology.
>>
>>78196843

>black power
>T'challa

He doesn't give a fuck what happens to American blacks, long as they're not Wakandans getting messed with it's dandy
>>
>>78197111

His dad was trained by the previous Iron Fist, the one before Danny. Can't remember if he ever actually went to K'un-Lun.
>>
>>78197694

That's true of his time in K'un-Lun but what is more important is his time in America, which is like at least 80% of the show.
>>
File: powermandoom02-hfh9.jpg (94 KB, 428x432) Image search: [Google]
powermandoom02-hfh9.jpg
94 KB, 428x432
>>78197976
>>
>>78191181
Because, they use actual sociological and anthropological terminology, which makes it all the more insidious when they twist it to the extremes. (And hard for people to disagree with them without being seen as regressive/racist/sexist/etc.) It can obfuscate those terms for other people, which just creates tons of "cross-purposes". It's really backwards.
>>
>>78199161
Apology accepted.
>>
>>78199076

Shit, Iron Fist was in Soul Calibur? That's cool.
>>
>>78198912
Isn't the latest Pink Ranger, black?
>>
>>78194362
I want Lucy Knight-Rand to become canonized so bad, you have no idea. :(
>>
>>78191181
because western politics on all levels revolves around any and all arguments being co-opted by incompetents, so that you can't agree with anything without implicitly agreeing with a bunch of retarded shit that makes people hate you.
The purpose of this is to stop everyone that agrees on any specific issue from banding together and enacting meaningful change regarding that issue. Instead people are forced to ally themselves with people who they don't agree with on 90% of issues, or no one at all. Either way the Walton-Koch-Mars allegiance continue to rule, with the Rothschild's as their scape goat
>>
>>78199278
K'un Lun is a mythical Chinese place that Marvel did not invent. K'un Lun bamboo in particular was said to have mystical properties
>>
>>78197852
In KL, he could be any other race, but for his dynamic with Luke to work he needs to be a WASP.
>>
>>78199370

Shit, really? Damn, now I feel dumb. Thanks for telling me. When did K'un-Lun come up in Soul Cal? I only ever played the one with Link and the one with Star Wars.
>>
File: DanStevenslookright.jpg (16 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
DanStevenslookright.jpg
16 KB, 236x354
PLEASE, MARVEL!
>>
File: ryan kwanten blunt force trauma.jpg (160 KB, 618x825) Image search: [Google]
ryan kwanten blunt force trauma.jpg
160 KB, 618x825
>>78199790
No!
>>
>>78199395
the character Kilik journeyed to K'un Lun to make a staff from the bamboo there. It's his ultimate weapon in most games he's in.
>>
>>78187600
>Asian-American males
No thanks, show is dead before it began
>>
>>78199929
trump pls
>>
Either asian or caucasian, I know I'll be disappointed with their choice.
>>
>>78199833
Ryan Kwanten's good, but after seeing The Guest I just can't picture anyone else as Danny. He may be my second choice, though.
>>
>Ironfist is casted
>/co/ goes gay for the actor
mark my words
>>
>>78189504
>>78194465

You'd probably co-sign this then.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/i-dont-want-an-asian-american-iron-fist

Beware of the forums.
>>
>>78200286
Especially, if it's Dan Stevens.

>Dem eyes, though.
>>
>>78198866
Some day we'll get Cho and the Prince of Power...
>>
>>78199163
To be fair, T'challa is supposed to be the guy who decides, "hey, maybe we should care about non-Wakandans because we're all people, right?"

So technically, the black American means as much to him as the black Englishman.
>>
>>78187600
I don't even care just cast a motherfucker already
>>
This thread got me interested in Iron Fist, what should I read? Is his original series any good or should I start with heroes for hire?
>>
File: 1398131580367.jpg (330 KB, 1281x879) Image search: [Google]
1398131580367.jpg
330 KB, 1281x879
>>78201728
Here you go familia
>>
>>78201800
Thanks
>>
File: icon-terry[1].jpg (28 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
icon-terry[1].jpg
28 KB, 560x560
>>78189738
>>
What about getting actual martial artists like Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais or Bin Won?
>>
>>78187829
This was my first thought, I think this is just for show.
>>
>>78197852
>>78199379
The obvious out for Marvel is to not bother with those details of Cage and Rand's friendship. They pick and choose what to take from the comics all the time - if something that only their pre-existing fans care about acts as such an irritant, and they can scrap it AND get some good press in the process, they'll probably go for it. They can just use the caustic banter and grudging respect that you see in your typical buddy cop origin story as a substitute.

They can cover their ass by sprinkling some pop critique into their reasoning, too. I could easily see them saying that the characters' friendship in the book was "old-fashioned" and "doesn't really reflect today's society". It'd be the perfect springboard for the usual suspects to churn out some clickbait, which will cause controversy, and in turn get the show more press.
>>
File: CO8uLJ0WIAAYfNb.jpg (144 KB, 667x1024) Image search: [Google]
CO8uLJ0WIAAYfNb.jpg
144 KB, 667x1024
It bears repeating.

There is no winning with the people who will complain about Iron Fist's casting.

If its a white guy, they'll be bitching and moaning about the White Savior. If its an asian guy, it'll be "stereotypical casting, an asian martial artist".

Don't engage these people unless you're committed to doubling-down like Cho. They're used to their target meekly surrendering, like all bullies they'll move on to weaker marks.
>>
>>78202270
Only one of those to complaints is justified, though.
>>
>>78202263
What is the point in having Luke Cage and Iron Fist, if it won't actually be Luke Cage and Iron Fist?
>>
>>78202270
As an Asian-American, does anyone know Frank's opinion on this?
>>
>>78202270
Can anyone explain to me why Spider-Gwen is Frank's straw-(wo)man in all these covers?
>>
>>78202306
Branding. I guess you could also call it "updating", but that implies some sort of desire to improve things, and I don't think improvement is a factor. Marvel just wants to set the foundation for as many types of shows as possible, and the quicker they can do it, the better.
>>
>>78202053
Not white
>>
>>78202270
Will Cho ever not be a child about SJWs?
>>
>>78202401
Because it started in response to the guy who designed that costume threatening Cho for drawing her sexily.
>>
>>78202053
But they're neither Chinese nor Japanese.
>>
File: Rodriguez.png (82 KB, 652x394) Image search: [Google]
Rodriguez.png
82 KB, 652x394
>>78202549

Robbi threatened Cho, over Cho drawing his creation Spider-Gwen in a sexy manner.

Never mind that Gwen has been around for decades, that a spider-powered version of Gwen has been around for decades too (in at least one What If book) so he didn't even come up with that idea. He got possessive about his baby that isn't even his baby.
>>
>>78189504
why don't you read shang chi?
I ask that about every person who has a problem with this since apparently danny being white is his entire appeal now

being a mighty whitey stereotype that never got called on it isn't gonna make his being white any more palpable
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (157 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
157 KB, 1920x1080
>>78202717

Also, Robbi looks like this.

Which is why, I suppose, the veiled threat was all but ignored. Hard to take it seriously coming from this person.
>>
>>78199833

The guy he posted looks more like a rich man. The one you posted looks like he would be born a rancher or something.
>>
>>78202717
Jesus this is Buckley levels of cringe
>>
>the point of iron fist is that he is white
no the point of iron fist is that he is an outsider with mystical chi powers
>>
>>78202783
An outsider that becomes NOT an outsider and helps the down trodden because he knows the blight idiot.
>>
I don't see what the big deal is. Isn't Iron Fist's whole point that white guys can do other people's cultures better?
>>
>>78202836
No, and you know that's not true.
>>
>>78202739
Cho would break him
>>
>>78199131
>I'm black and all my friends who are also black cannot stand these condescending douchebags and publicly embarrass them into fetal positions every chance we get.

Everybody back the fuck up, we have a few black people here to tell us how all non-whites should feel. Thank god you arrived, anon.
>>
>>78188564
of course, but the people that make these guys of statements dont actually know shit about the stories these characters are based on.
>>
>>78202850

I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't think it was true. When you have totally for-show publicity carnivals like this (as other anons have said, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that the Asian-American actors are being anything other than strung along for appearances) suddenly you have /co/ coming out of the rafters talking about how Danny being white is an immutable part to his character and how dare those racist SJWs and leftists consider changing him when you could do the same racial tensions issue without going mighty whitey about it
>>
>>78203038
How can you tell the story of a man being an outsider in one society then coming to America to find out he is privileged without him being white? I understand that you could do this story in a different location but it has to happen in America if he is to team up with Luke.
>>
>>78203106
>How can you tell the story of a man being an outsider in one society then coming to America to find out he is privileged without him being white?

You realize there are other ways to tackle being an outsider through the lens of race, right? It's not difficult to do, and it's something a hell of a lot more people than just a small minority of whites (because how many American white people are actively cognizant of being privileged?) would be able to sympathize with.
>>
>>78203178
But the point isn't that people have been through the same shit, the point is that it's a story of using your resources to help people that are in a situation you have been in before. So let's say Danny is Asian in Kun Lun and is discriminated against for being Japanese and not FROM Kun Lun, that's fine and would happen. Then what? He'll go back to America and will still be discriminated against? That is not the point of the character. You can't make it about him being poor because Kun Lun isn't exactly a mirror of our society economically. So how do you suggest they do it?
>>
>>78202896
It's an example of how black people feel about the people who think they're helping them.
>>
>>78202717
Just to clarify: the man's just an artist, right? He's not even the guy that decided to throw a new version of Spider-Gwen into the event, correct?
>>
>>78203282
>It's an example of how black people feel about the people who think they're helping them.

ALL non-whites don't share your opinion. Stop acting like they do.
>>
>>78203358
I'm not the black anon, and neither he nor I claimed all non-whites shared the same opinion.
>>
>>78202836
>other people's cultures

Depends on what you consider culture, I guess. He happened to be the best in the class he was in because he was the perfect combo of crazy, angry, and driven among the kids he trained with.

Do you mean he's the best at Confucian filial piety? I mean, he works really hard to honor his fathers, both biological and adopted. I'm not sure he's the best at it. I don't know how to gauge who is better at honoring his father.
>>
>>78202836
Not remotely. It's about a guy from a privileged class living for years in a place where he's discriminated against, then returning to his birthplace where's he's suddenly privileged again.

Claiming that only Asians can be good at martial arts is what's racist.
>>
>>78202783

How much of his time do you think he spends in K'un-Lun?
>>
>>78202783
I always loved that he was still an outsider when he came back to America. Luke had to teach him how all that shit worked.
>>
>>78202717
And Cho has been making her the butt of a running joke ever since. Fine by me. People that are that obsessive about a creation for a companies living universe are crazy.
>>
>>78203640
This, when he comes back to America he's a straight up FOB.

(Which would be a whole new layer of 'problematic' if he was race-bended to an Asian/Chinese guy.)
>>
>>78199131
I really hate smug white liberals. They're just as prejudiced to Asians but they hide it under SJWisms. Asians don't fit in their narrative of oppression and are considered to have white privilege (whatever the fuck that means).

It's amazing how both the left and the right view Asians as this boogeyman.
>>
>>78199929
That's kinda true. Selfie got canned and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is on its way. The US public doesn't like Asian males that much.
>>
Have them cast Danny as a blonde blue-eyed guy while 2 badass-looking Asians play Shang Chi and Jimmy Woo as guest roles. Problem solved.
>>
>>78204178
Jews and southern Europeans also seem to suffer from "Schrodinger's oppressor".
>>
>>78204296
Not even Italian but US media likes to depict them as greasy-haired mafioso, muscle heads in wifebeaters, and vapid sluts. I find it interesting that Mediterraneans are viewed under a different lense on TV and film.
>>
>>78204296
Are Jews classified as white?

My former boss was swarthy as fuck and Hasidic but he refererred to himself as a white guy. What are Jews classified as? Near Eastern like Arabs or do they count as white?
>>
>>78201725
I know man, this shit's ridiculous. Do us a solid Marvel, and just announce someone.
>>
>>78204567
Yes, but because race is a social construct, it can fluctuate depending on what country you're in at the time. A Jewish person racialised as non-white in europe, could be racialised as white under America's strict White/POC dichotomy.
>>
It would make more sense to change his race to black or hispanic if they were gonna change it at all.... A big part of who Iron fist is, is being orphaned and raised into a culture that really isnt his.
These people who are over obsessed with political correctness are actually the ones being racist here thinking "Oh well the kung fu guy has GOT to be asian"
>>
>>78204567
Depends on ethnicity. Ashkenazi Jews are white, Sephardi Jews are European Hispanic, and Mizrahi Jews are middle Eastern.
>>
>>78187600
>Iron fist
>Not Donnie Yen
>>
>>78188731
>>78187829
Yeah, I know what you mean. However, because of the loud internet campaign they might have actually thought about an AA Danny, and did see some actors. I was reluctant to it, but kept an open mind, but every time I thought of how to have him be AA, I realised you would have to dramatically alter his origin story, and this would have a knock-on effect within the contexts of his relationships. Marvel TV probably realised that, as well.
>>
>>78205390
*realises
>>
>>78205172

Really breaking new ground there, aren't you?
>>
It's gonna be asian, guys. I know you want your MUH WHITE IRON FIST but we're talking about a company that made Captain America a negro, Thor a woman and Hulk an asian and Ms Marvel a muslim for diversity.

If he's white, they'll make him homosexual.

It's sad, really.
>>
>>78189387
A biracial child is the product of an interracial union. Hope that helps.
>>
Isn't Danny Rand, you know, a friggin' white guy?

Does it actually say in the comics that he's multiracial?
>>
>>78206132
There's a difference between 'Steve rogers is now a nigger' and 'This guy who's a nigger succeeds steve rogers'
>>
>>78206132
Aryan powah, amirite?
>>
>>78206236

"Hulk is now asian"
"Ms Marvel is now muslim"
"Thor is a woman now"
"Spiderman is latinamerican now"
"Jhonny Storm is gay now"
>>
>>78206232
Danny has never been explicitly stated as being multiracial. His father was raised in the mystical city, but was also a white orphan and not born there.
>>
>>78206306
I must have missed when they made Johnny gay. Dude you mean Iceman?
>>
>>78206373
He doesn't read comics, he just comes here when social issues are afoot.
>>
>>78206132
Captain America made sense though. They passed the torch down. Stop being easily triggered faggot.
>>
>>78206306
LOL angry asian guy cuz of his pencil dick
>>
>>78206306
>hulk book is good
>kamala book is good
>thor is meh
>spider is ok

Stop being triggered so hard, grandpa. You are not in the 80's anymore.
>>
>>78207099
>>78206306
I like how he brings up Ms. Marvel.

Like famm, you gave no shit about Ms. Marvel when she was white, stop pretending you care now.
>>
>>78199163
Ever since Hudlin took over it changed.
>>
>>78196475
It wasn't Quesada but it was a rumor.
>>
>>78206657
Totally unnecessary, Anon.
>>
First white people took rock and roll, then they took hip hop, now they're coming for kung fu.... ffs.
>>
>>78188074
>No Asian Black Panther
>No Middle Eastern Black Panther
Racist bastards
>>
>>78187600
Let's be honest, who are they going to find that's white, a good actor and an amazing martial artist?
>>
>>78196475
I wouldn't be surprised if it was already decided and they are doing this just for show, nowadays directors already know who they want for particular roles.
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (9 KB, 346x420) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
9 KB, 346x420
>>78209063
There is one...
>>
>>78209174
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have short-lists.
>>
>>78209063
That's why stunt doubles exist.
>>
>>78209063
Take away "white" and your talent pool isn't much bigger.
>>
>>78194362
How does her right arm work like that?
>>
>>78194342
There's also The Cat
>>
>>78210374

Goes under his arm, between it and his chest, bends at the curve of his back.
Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.