[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Consider the following
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 9
File: s-death.jpg (42 KB, 488x429) Image search: [Google]
s-death.jpg
42 KB, 488x429
A character, just like a story, should have a beginning and an end. In long ongoing comic book series, such as most capecomics out there, characters are not allowed to have an ending. Everyone is stuck in the status quo, almost every bit of development ever is ruined because characters are not allowed to change, let alone end.

I feel like this is ruining many comics. Good writing is just as much about stopping at the right point as it is about the actual writing.

Pick unrelated.
>>
>how long is Franklin 8 years old?
>>
just read manga
>>
>>78172882
But triple-a manga have exactly the same problem. They go on for too long, and every arc the status quo is reset.

It's frustrating, because the idea of capecomics appeal to me. It's just that the fuck them up by not allowing them to end when they should.
>>
Just read non-corporate owned comics.
>>
>>78172937
read Jojo
>>
>>78172937
Just read smaller characters' runs, plenty have satisfying endings. (There's also a few major characters that have runs with definitive endings, like Johns' Green Lantern.)
>>
Do you also go to /ck/ and complain that McDonald's and Burger King are suffering creatively?

Marvel and DC comics have profit as their #1 priority, not quality.

If you don't like this arrangement then YOU are the problem, and you should read something else.
>>
>>78172964
I have tried to read it, but it wasn't for me.

>>78173015
Could you point me to some good ones?

>>78173057
Unlike McD and BK, I feel that comics have a potential to be so much more than they are, if they'd just get their heads out of their own arses and started putting the story first.
>>
>>78173143

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing can be read by itself, and was quite satisfactory.
>>
>>78173143
>Unlike McD and BK, I feel that comics have a potential to be so much more than they are, if they'd just get their heads out of their own arses and started putting the story first.
capeshit ≠ all comics
quit reading capeshit that you don't like.
>>
>>78173143
>I feel that comics have a potential to be so much more than they are, if they'd just get their heads out of their own arses and started putting the story first.
Do comics only count for you when they're published by Marvel or DC? Do you automatically write off comics that aren't from them?

I'm honestly curious how you haven't noticed that there are already creator-owned creator-controlled comics which put the story first.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 250x250
No, it's fine.

Look at something like Sherlock Holmes or Doctor Who or James Bond, for example. The character serves as a vehicle for the audience to be exposed to any sort of story the author wishes to tell, within certain contexts.

Sure there are constraints in regards to what kind of story one tells with those characters, but the benefit afforded by the way they create a situation where any author can come in and use the character for a story they wish to convey themes and moods and messages in far outweighs the problem of the continuity being continuous.

The characters may not end, but the stories do. Writers and artists come and go, new creative teams come on, books get shuffled around, just because people are writing more stories about Superman or Daredevil or Swamp Thing or who-fucking-ever doesn't do anything to the quality of previously written stories utilizing the character. You can even have 'ending' stories galore, look at Death of Captain Marvel, Kraven's Last Hunt, All-Star Superman, the Dark Knight saga, Silver Surfer Requiem, etc, etc.

As should always be done, you look at creators and not characters. anta baka
>>
File: 1434937379161.png (450 KB, 1221x528) Image search: [Google]
1434937379161.png
450 KB, 1221x528
>>78172766
DEATH A CUTE!
>>
>>78173180
I used comics as shorthand for capecomics.

>>78173202
Not really. I quite liked much of the vertigo comics I've read. However, it's immensely hard to hear about, much less get hold of those semi-indie comics unless you're already in the know about them.

>>78173160
I did read that by itself. I liked it a lot for the most part.

>>78173257
That's actually a way of looking at it I hadn't considered yet. The entire cape industry makes a lot more sense that way. I still don't agree with it, but I can understand it.

>>78173294
I can't really decide which depiction of death I like more, Gaiman's or Pratchett's.
>>
>>78173367
>Not really. I quite liked much of the vertigo comics I've read.
Vertigo is DC.

>I used comics as shorthand for capecomics.
If you've totally fucked up this thread then you should delete it and try again.

Or just quit being a baby and learn to try new things.
>>
File: Recs1.png (217 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Recs1.png
217 KB, 1366x768
>>78173396
Stop being such an elitist, dawg. Getting into comics can be hard. Anyway, OP, I found a massive infodump of recs a while back, so I'll just leave that here, and you can see if anything interests you.
>>
File: recs2.png (236 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
recs2.png
236 KB, 1366x768
>>78173497
>>
File: recs3.png (212 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
recs3.png
212 KB, 1366x768
>>78173502
>>
File: recs4.png (211 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
recs4.png
211 KB, 1366x768
>>78173510
>>
File: recs5.png (237 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
recs5.png
237 KB, 1366x768
>>78173516
And that's it. If you want a few more cape recs, I'd also tack on Johns' Green Lantern, Robinson's Starman and Ostrander's Spectre, Suicide Squad, and Martian Manhunter (not sure if the last two are collected in trades).
>>
>>78173396
>Vertigo is DC.

In the same way that the Nutricia research division is Danone. Sure, they're part of the same corporation, but they do quite different things.

>Or just quit being a baby and learn to try new things.

Holy shit man, you couldn't project any harder if you'd place a 500 watt beamer lamp in your skull and looked at a blank wall.

>>78173497
That's pretty damn awesome. Thanks!
>>
File: stop, my invincible son.gif (3 MB, 375x166) Image search: [Google]
stop, my invincible son.gif
3 MB, 375x166
>>78173367
>I used comics as shorthand for capecomics.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.