[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who the fuck even reads Archie? Scratch that. Here's a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 14
File: 2aw71snioclo1_540.jpg (191 KB, 526x810) Image search: [Google]
2aw71snioclo1_540.jpg
191 KB, 526x810
Who the fuck even reads Archie?

Scratch that. Here's a better question: Does anyone read Archie other than the same kind of dopey whitebread tedious fucks that watch shit like Glee or Dawson's Creek or the Hunger Games? The kind of sad peon who likes to dream up corny ass high school AUs? Is it the comics equivalent of Grease? Is there anyone who reads Archie that is not, in point of fact, a grade-A milquetoast motherfucker?
>>
>I haven't read Archie vs Predator
How am I supposed to take you seriously, OP?
>>
>>78169657
Old school Archie was the best series ever.

Modern archie is a hipster comic.
>>
>>78169674
I don't think crossovers like that or Archie VS Punisher are a representative sample
>>
>>78169657
Its popular with hipsters now so you gotta pretend it was always the most awesome thing ever, or you're like totally lame.
>>
I loved archies weird mysteries and afterlife with archie
>>
He died for your right to marry gays OP.
>>
>>78169875
>>78169714
“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.

If you respond to my post without actually reading it, youre staying ignorant to the truth.
>>
>>78170711
Tl;DR: I bet reddit would love to read how much I can type 9n the subject of appropriate cultural labels.
>>
>>78169657
The rebooted Archie stuff that's currently coming out is pretty shit (only the universe proper, Sabrina and the crossover stuff have been amazing) but I like the comics overall. Have you ever read them OP? Some of them are fucking funny, especially old Jughead stuff. Good light reading. On the toilet, at lunch, that sort of thing.
>>
>>78170711
And if it weren't for your own insecurities about being perceived (right or wrong) as a "hipster" which you've internalized to mean something negative then you wouldn't have bothered writing up all this shit.
>>
>>78170709
10/10
>>
>>78170711
I call myself a hipster because everything I like gets canceled, and falls out of the public eye within a year or two. I've had to say "you've probably never heard of it" more times than I can count.
>>
>op doesn't know the greatness that is jughead
>>
>>78170711
Hipster is defined on a higher level of abstraction. It doesn't refer to a single style, type of music, or behavior. Rather it refers to people who engage in those things under the pretense of a refined/obscure sense of taste.

A hipster doesn't care about actually having taste, they only care about appearing as if they have more refined/obscure taste than you. As a consequence, those refined/obscure tastes around which hipsters congregate, are often viewed as their calling card and an individual may be called a hipster for liking said things. This is a consequence, not the definition.
>>
>>78169657
Dopey whitebread fucks don't read comics, but hipsters read Archie
>>
>>78173086
I feel like while your description is entirely accurate, it's also correct to call a person who just happens to like shit that unpopular/obscure a hipster.
I've been called a hipster for liking Cerebus
>>
If you had even taken a single look at the comic since the reboot you'd know that the new Archie is literally the funniest comic currently in print.

But I guess that would require you to actually read comics...
>>
>>78169657

When I used to work at Borders, it was the Filipinos that would buy them.
>>
File: 128328707361.jpg (33 KB, 350x247) Image search: [Google]
128328707361.jpg
33 KB, 350x247
>>78170711
Spoken like a true hipster
>>
>>78169657
I do, and I don't really fit your description at all. The main line series is simple fun. The "new" Archie was interesting up until the latest comic, where I just lost all interest in it once they revealed what the lipstick incident actually was. Also, the Sonic and MegaMan comics are pretty great.
>>
>>78170711
Flannel, knit clothing, a shirts,
Mewithoutyou, youth lagoon, doses and mamosas, Mariana and the diamonds,
Love bernie sanders, all about gun control and gay rights
Hipsters
>>
>>78169657

Did they say why Archie and Betty broke up or not yet?
>>
>>78175304
Betty wore a dress and makeup and Archie spazzed out
>>
>>78174032
Yeah. I was hoping they'd just pull a Tomo, and have Betty wear the lipstick because in her eyes, Archie doesn't see her as a woman. That would have some good reason for conflict, but I guess Waid didn't want to go that route.

Pity they had to end some of their Sonic/Mega Man comics to cover their own financial errors.
>>
File: hipster douchebag.jpg (250 KB, 540x719) Image search: [Google]
hipster douchebag.jpg
250 KB, 540x719
>>78170711
hipster go home
>>
Waid is too old to be writing Archie
>>
>>78169657
Black anon, had a bunch of the classic Archies and loved them to death. Havent read the newer ones yet but I heard that he died?
>>
>>78170711
ok
>>
>>78175427
It was one of the other series. Real-Life with archie or something like that.
>>
I had a friend that read Archie thorough out Jr. High and Highschool. He introduced me to underground comics and Let me borrow Dark Knight Returns long time ago. It was hard to find another blackanon that was into comics so heavily back in the 90s
>>
>>78170711
It's a pasta, you chucklefucks
>>
File: archie.jpg (166 KB, 800x1138) Image search: [Google]
archie.jpg
166 KB, 800x1138
I like the reboot of Archie. It's more diverse.
>>
File: Betty and Veronica Annual.jpg (594 KB, 1034x1448) Image search: [Google]
Betty and Veronica Annual.jpg
594 KB, 1034x1448
>>78169657
I feel like this is bait, but anyways...

The recent horror and reboot stuff has been pretty goo overall.
60s/70s was full of cute art, sensible chuckles and the occasional "shit getting past the radar"

People also seem to like the Life with Archie book but I just can't bring myself to care.
>>
>>78175544
>People also seem to like the Life with Archie book but I just can't bring myself to care.
It ended a year agoo
>>
>>78175576
>agoo
>>
File: Betty and Veronica 111.jpg (192 KB, 541x529) Image search: [Google]
Betty and Veronica 111.jpg
192 KB, 541x529
>>78175576
>People also seemed to like the Life with Archie book but I just couldn't bring myself to care.
Happy now?
>>
>>78175649
yes
>>
File: veronica-from-archie.jpg (55 KB, 342x500) Image search: [Google]
veronica-from-archie.jpg
55 KB, 342x500
>>78175544
Old school Veronica was so hot.
>>
>>78174631
Don't forget those faggy caps that they wear half off their head. I guess that hat is the only thing protecting what's left of their brain.
>>
>>78175409
Jesus fuck, how is he able to carry all that shit on a walk?
>>
File: Veronica's Pin-Up 4 .jpg (602 KB, 979x1417) Image search: [Google]
Veronica's Pin-Up 4 .jpg
602 KB, 979x1417
>>78176177
He's got saddle bags on his brakeless fixie.

>>78175656
Ain't that the truth.
>>
>>78176271
I don't get the "banned in Boston" thing.
>>
>>78174631
i kinda really like youth lagoon and marina
>>
File: Veronica pin-up baby doll dress.jpg (900 KB, 691x1024) Image search: [Google]
Veronica pin-up baby doll dress.jpg
900 KB, 691x1024
>>78176296
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_in_Boston
>>
Isn't Archie dead? I thought the comic ended with him getting shot for his gay buddy.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with liking Grease?
>>
File: 3 straws.jpg (1 MB, 1986x3056) Image search: [Google]
3 straws.jpg
1 MB, 1986x3056
>>78177153
Just one possible future Archie. The rest of the Archie-verse is still alive.
>>
>>78177450
Wow that's a lot of symbolism from an Archie comic
>>
>>
>>78169657
I'm liking the Jughead comic Zdarsky's writing.
Waid's Archie, not so much.
>>
File: dandecarlo1.jpg (424 KB, 960x1464) Image search: [Google]
dandecarlo1.jpg
424 KB, 960x1464
>>78175656
The original artist for Archie comics, Dan DeCarlo did a lot of Playboy-style pin-up one panel comics about sexy girls in sexy situations, mostly with their bosses. You should look them up and flood this thread with your favorites
>>
File: George.png (631 KB, 450x646) Image search: [Google]
George.png
631 KB, 450x646
>>78180894
The original artist for Archie comics was Bob Montana. Dan Joined the party in the late 50s and started out copying the house-style of George Frese.
>>
>>78181540
Here's Dan.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.