[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else here share my strange love for B list and lower
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: url.jpg (28 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
28 KB, 182x277
Does anyone else here share my strange love for B list and lower comic book characters, especially marvel? Something about them is really fascinating to me, and they always have really original or oddball concepts and designs.

For instance, pic related is one of my fave team books, and I'm uber-hyped for my coming 52 omnibus.
>>
>>78165796
Underdogs thread then?
Well, mine are The Seven soldiers of victory.
>>
>>78165796
No, you're the only one on /co/ that prefers the characters that aren't always in the spotlight.
Fuck you.
>>
>>78166311
?

i never claimed to be the only one
>>
>>78165796
I understand you. Usually B, C and D list characters are more interesting than A list. Good I have to admit I liked the team formed by Vibe, Vixen, Steel, Elongated Man, Gypsy, Aquaman, Zatanna and Martian Manhunter. Justice League Detroit or the Justice League of America
>>
>>78166396
>Does anyone else here
I wish this phrase was auto-bannable.
>>
>>78166443
chill the fuck out my man

>>78166422

On a similar note, I like the west coast avengers line up more than the traditional avengers line up
>>
File: Milestone-620x480.jpg (87 KB, 401x480) Image search: [Google]
Milestone-620x480.jpg
87 KB, 401x480
>>78165796

I've always like going to my LCS' quarter bin and collecting stuff from folded third party universes ( Milestone, Valiant, Ultra Comics, Dark Horse's Comic's Greatest World, even super obscure stuff like defiant comics) I just like looking through how other companies approached the idea of shared superhero universes
>>
>>78166443
Not quite as bad as "now that the dust has settled..."
>>
>>78166526
my lcs is just Marvel and DC trades, and some current image if I'm lucky

That and the lowered prices makes up the reason why I use amazon
>>
>>78166526

this sounds really cool to me,
what's your favorite company so far?
>>
>>78165796
I recently discovered how awesome these guys are.
>>
>>78166519
Favorite underdog?
>>
>>78166895
the entire nextwave team count? if so, them (especially machine man)
>>
>>78166855
Doesn't count.

Z-List characters on their own are boring.

They're only interesting when they're from Marvel or DC so they can interact with A-List characters.
>>
>>78166926
Oh man I freaking love Machine Man. Fucking Jocasta, she doesn't recognize a good machine even if he saves her from an horde of zombies.
>>
>>78165796
I especially like Firestar because she's been a good character in every book she's ever been in, including when she was on the Avengers, yet she never seems to get any respect because of her origins in a TV cartoon.
>>
>>78167300
Didn't Harley Quinn also come from a cartoon as well? She's respected in comic book circles, idk why firestar can't be.
>>
I find the non A list characters more interesting because they seem less likely to be stuck to a status quo so you see some actualy character development, hell some of them even get resolutions because no other writer wants to touch them like Starman or Multiple Man
>>
File: Avengers (1963-1996) 144-010.jpg (2 MB, 2013x3056) Image search: [Google]
Avengers (1963-1996) 144-010.jpg
2 MB, 2013x3056
One of my all time favorite Marvel stories is that Avengers story where Steve Englehart brought the characters from Marvel's Westerns (Two-Gun Kid) and humor comics (Patsy Walker) into the superhero universe. I'd love to see more of Millie the Model and other such Marvel characters interacting with the super heroes.
>>
>>78167476
If we're talking the Big Two then writers don't decide which characters get touched and which characters don't; the editors do.
>>
>>78167411
The Batman cartoon series was much better respected though, and so were the Batman Adventures spin-off comics based on the show. So by the time Harley came into the main universe she was well established as a respectable, award-winning character.

Firestar was just someone Stan Lee pitched to the producers when it turned out they couldn't use Johnny Storm on the show.
>>
>>78167530
It's a mix of both, Usually if a writer is being given a pitch there will be some official picks and they're allowed to fill out the roaster.

For example on Cable and X-Force Editorial told Hopless that Cable, Domino, and Colossus had to be on the team. Dr. Nemesis, Forge, and Boom Boom were all his picks to complete it
>>
File: xfactor.jpg (367 KB, 1039x1600) Image search: [Google]
xfactor.jpg
367 KB, 1039x1600
X-Factor's one of the best things that Marvel has published in the last 15 years. All B and C-listers. PAD deserves more love.
>>
Night Nurse series when?
>>
>>78167546
wow thats pretty lame

sorry firestar
>>
>>78165796
I loved the first issues of JLD because those were the only comics that so far since nu52 Shade, Enchantress and Mindwarp were used. Then just completely disappeared.
>>
File: Sonny Sumo.jpg (178 KB, 908x651) Image search: [Google]
Sonny Sumo.jpg
178 KB, 908x651
>>78165796
Been reading the Fourth World saga the past few weeks, and I'm really digging how many awesome and weird characters there are, outside of the big ones like Darkseid, Orion, and Scott.

>Big Bear
>Sonny Sumo
>Virman Vundabar
>Lonar
>Female Furies
>>
>>78165796

I'm the same way with DC.

I fucking love all their C and D-listers way more than the main Justice Leaguers. The JSA is my favorite superteam of all time.
>>
File: 2262722-awc3[1].jpg (464 KB, 1528x1048) Image search: [Google]
2262722-awc3[1].jpg
464 KB, 1528x1048
>>78166519
I would suck like ten dicks for a WCA animated movie or series.

I don't even care if they use the version with Wonderman's awful costume that he had on for like 10 issues before literally everyone complained so much that they had to address the hate in the comic itself and change it back.
>>
File: Manhunter.jpg (373 KB, 936x691) Image search: [Google]
Manhunter.jpg
373 KB, 936x691
>>78165796
Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter doesn't get enough respect.
>>
>>78167982
>that jetpack Simon

Jesus, I'd forgotten about that.
>>
File: image.jpg (532 KB, 1887x1379) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
532 KB, 1887x1379
>>78168060
I lke the 70's Kirby version, although he got no real use.
>>
>>78167982
Best Coast Avengers were awesome.
>>
>>78167488
Of all the heros to teenage crush on why Reed? Does he have something that younger women like?
>>
>>78166526
I like that I can basically pick up any Milestone run and it'll be at least decent, if not good.

I remember when Cornell was talking about Stormwatch being involved with a shadow cabinet, and everyone got hype that Shadow Cabinet would be paired up with Stormwatch, and then he was like "sorry, no, not that one." Sigh.
>>
>>78169762
In the old days Reed used to be portrayed as "Mister Action Scientist", kinda like Doc Savage. Nowadays they prefer to portray him as "Mister Autistic Super Genius".
>>
>>78167488

Hawkeye and Two Gun Kid are my OTP
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.