[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>that one show that I didn't watch at all >"anon,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 17
File: As-told-by-ginger-correct.jpg (17 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
As-told-by-ginger-correct.jpg
17 KB, 300x200
>that one show that I didn't watch at all
>"anon, why are you watching a girl's show?

What did you guys think of it, did anyone watch it?
I barely hear anything about it anywhere.
>>
The disgusting artstyle stopped me from watching
>>
>>78165337
why are her lips on her chin
>>
>>78165337
I watched a bit of it, I was in that transitional period in middle school where I 'wasn't supposed to be watching cartoons' so I always felt guilty when I watched it, but I liked the theme song, and Darren when he gets his headgear off was my nigga.
I found everyone else besides Ginger and Courtney annoying.
>>
i thought the artstyle was ugly even as a kid who'd watched other klasky-csupo stuff before, and so didn't go out of my way to watch it.

the few times I did, I specifically remember watching the ones with Courtney somehow about to be humiliated and ginger saving the day (lice, bikini. maybe something else too). since I didn't watch it much and automatically assumed blonde popular girl must automatically = bitch because of other cartoons, I don't think I really got why ginger gave a fuck. also didn't get that ginger's friend was actually a bitch.

it's weird that type of plot came up more than once.
>>
>>78166467
I just watched the one "And Then She Was Gone" and it really clicked with me seeing as how I was a writer nut in school that also got psychoanalyzed to hell and back.

Heartwarming stuff, but I have no nostalgia for this show at all safe for the theme.

What was it with shows putting young kids in situations that are more like high school stuff? Ginger's 12, right?

also i don't know any of their names but the friend of ginger's that has the squeaky voice and no glasses seems like a bitch
>>
>>78166581
Macy is cool, Doty is a bitch.
>>
>>78167003
Macy needs a hug.

Also the VA for Carl, Ginger's brother voiced the main character Botley in the GOAT 90's Educational Game
>>
Delicious
>>
>>78165337

There were some good moments, but ultimately I was turned off by the artstyle.

Also I was disenchanted when her relationship with her neighbor only advanced AFTER AND BECAUSE he got his headgear off, but that's just me.
>>
File: ginger and cunt.jpg (25 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
ginger and cunt.jpg
25 KB, 500x375
>>78165337
I loved it and it saddens me people never talk about it or only remember it for the artstyle.
It was actually a very good and solid slice of life with some wacky elements but on point character development, and real heart put into it. Also i never thought the designs were that bad (for klasky csupo), the team knew how to work with them and so it never bothered me
On another note, i have a weakness for shows that change the characters outfits every episode, its a neat thing to do and i wish more shows did that nowadays
>>
File: Carl_Chillin.gif (471 KB, 370x278) Image search: [Google]
Carl_Chillin.gif
471 KB, 370x278
>>78167215
Nah, this is better.
>>
Art style is blah. But in terms of a cartoon aimed at pre-teens, it was great. Story progression, character development, touched on real-life issues, kept up continuity for the most part. The only time development/continuity was set aside was after Dodie and Macie pulled that total cunt move on Ginger and in the next episode it was some time later, they were still best friends, and the incident was only brought up maybe twice in an off-handed way.

also

>that episode where Carl's teacher retires and the VA for her died during production so they had the character die instead of returning to teach as planned

f-fuck
>>
Man, fuck Darren.
>>
I fucking hate Macy Gray, so I got pissed as fuck everytime that godawful intro music came on.

Also her friend with grey hair and asthma or whatever reminded me of a retarded girl at school and it mae me uncomfortable.

And the other friend dodie or whatever reminded me of ducky from land before time and I couldn't see her as a human only a dinosaur.
>>
>>78169782
>tfw no naked Ginger or Mrs. Foutley
>>
File: flapjack_medium.jpg (261 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
flapjack_medium.jpg
261 KB, 1024x768
>>78165337
how about a
>shows i never watched
thread
that could be fun
>>
>>78173556
oh and please, let me know what this show is like, and if you guys liked it

i mean, i watched Chowder but never this, idk
>>
File: CHEEKIBREEKI.gif (283 KB, 692x471) Image search: [Google]
CHEEKIBREEKI.gif
283 KB, 692x471
>>78168485

I agree whole heartily. I believe this show is a-typical of Nick, because of its emotional depth.

The characters grow over time, and while I may have some reservations about it, there are parts I very much enjoy, its even funny sometimes!
Like actually funny!

Its comfy too, I put this on in the back ground while I clean the house or something.
I never got to watch it as a kid, I thought it was too girly, and watched Rocket Power instead.

These two shows read completely different.

The shows value increases with the Courtney/lesbian theorem. Its cute and innocent, and unlike Korra (first example off the top my head) it doesn't pander to fans, but can be enjoyed from a knowing and comfortable distance

The art style is not that bad
>>
>>78165337
Anyone have the version of her with her mouth in the right place?
>>
>>78173592
I never thought about the lesbian angle until i started browsing these threads and i find it cute, it actually makes sense instead of being a dumb theory shippers want to believe. It would have been interesting to see the show handle it in the present, but maybe its better how it turned out, nobody wants another korrasami
I wish i could watch this all over again, any good latino torrents around?
>>
>>78173889
I think it'd help that the lesbian angle in ATBG is strictly one sided.
>>
File: adventure-time-dawww[1].gif (61 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
adventure-time-dawww[1].gif
61 KB, 300x168
>>78173592
Courtney isn't quite sure why she'd drawn to Ginger.
Courtney isn't sure why she feels this need to impress Ginger.
Why did they need to give Ginger a male love interest again? Would this really have been that controversial?
I really wanted to see an honest to goodness innocent relationship progress.
>>
>>78165337
"I-I just watch it for the brother"
That was my excuse, even though nobody really cared.
I liked it overall.
>>
File: 1.jpg (50 KB, 500x343) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
50 KB, 500x343
>>78173585
This show was great, fuck off newbie
>>
>>78173592
>A-typical because of emotional depth

Hey. Arnold.
>>
>>78165337
Writing was decent, but the facial designs were horrible, even by Klasky Csupo standards.
>>
>>78175980
Although it was strange to begin with, I grew to like the art style in the end.
The fact that the writing was really good made you get invested in the characters rather than just how they looked. It's one of the few shows that had real progression and dealt with situations in one week that had repercussions over a long period of time. Even some darker themes like suicide, death and getting a 'fast' reputation.
If they released a box set of this show I'd buy it without a second's hesitation.
>>
>>78165337
>"anon, why are you watching a girl's show?
Duh?
>>
You can mock the art style all you want, but it's the only reason anyone even remembers this show. So, in my opinion at least, it was a good choice.
>>
>>78169864
>Art style is blah
Well, it's Klasky-Csupo.
>>
>>78167215
http://rule34-data-002.paheal.net/_images/55c2e6d1f0e49442eca1b1aa29f26932/9659%20-%20As_Told_by_Ginger%20Capibara%20Ginger_Foutley.jpg

More Please!
>>
>>78178776

I just remember that I really liked how they handled clothes. Rotating from a set of outfits like a real wardrobe. They didn't have to do it but I appreciated it as a kid for some reason even if I didn't like the actual show.
>>
I like this show. As others have already mentioned, the writing is above average and it was quite surprising that the relationships sort of evolved through time.

I watched this as a teenager, but do adults enjoy this show not as nostalgia?
>>
>>78166319
>not watching cartoons in middle school

What the fuck is wrong with your parents? What else are you supposed to watch? Tween comedies? Those are even less mature than cartoons.
>>
File: macie.png (341 KB, 500x558) Image search: [Google]
macie.png
341 KB, 500x558
>>78170760
>Also her friend with grey hair and asthma or whatever reminded me of a retarded girl at school and it mae me uncomfortable.
Macie Lightfoot best gril
>>
>>78165337
As a kid, I loved 'As Told By Ginger'; I watched every episode whenever it aired, and aside from the uncanny and grotesque Klasky-Csupo artsyle, the story had a somewhat realistic and accurate depiction of juvenescence. The themes were handle with maturation and nothing was dumbdowned unlike many other cartoons and it had continuinity too, which is something that amazed me, while it wasn't the first cartoon to do it, it felt refreshing.

Although I had to keep it a secret from other kids that I liked the show, children are certainly cruel, more cruel than adults.

On a side note: Glasses while not cute, I found her nasally voice strangely stimulated on my ears. That can be entirely because of my voice erotica fetish.
>>
>>78165337
SOMEONE ONCE TOLD ME THE GRASS IS MUCH GREENER
>>
>>78179288
that seal-girl song made me boner for her, hard
>>
>>78165337
i only watched it for courtney
>>
File: LIdJjkp.png (220 KB, 476x328) Image search: [Google]
LIdJjkp.png
220 KB, 476x328
>>78182754
this was a major improvement for her
>>
I only remember seeing the Christmas episode, and the effort at sentiment (kid has divorced parents & his dad briefly visits, as I recall) felt really forced. There were jokes too, but they seemed like an afterthought.
Looks like people here liked it though, so was that episode just atypical?
>>
I changed schools when I was thirteen and the show about a kid trying to find her place really resonated with me. As people said it had emotional maturity about it, I doubt they make shows like this anymore.
>>
>>78166095
Same, I'd always change the channel.
>>
That theme song thou always made me feel.

>Someone once told me the grass was much greener on the other side.
>>
File: 41b[1].png (117 KB, 500x298) Image search: [Google]
41b[1].png
117 KB, 500x298
>>78182821
>>
I wish the show had the balls to let Ginger and Dodie have an actually falling out. It's such a disappointment that they just jumped right from "Dodie maliciously plotting to break Ginger and Darren up because she's jelly" to "they're friends again, yay!"

She did so many awful things to her friends, especially Ginger, even through the last episodes.
>>
>>78188027
To be honest people do awful things to their friends all the time.
>>
File: 1431489323803.gif (215 KB, 400x524) Image search: [Google]
1431489323803.gif
215 KB, 400x524
>>78165337
that bra episode answered alot of questioned for me because I lived with a single father when I was in middle school.
>>
>>78188483
>>78188483
yes, and those awful things affect friendships
>>
I got in trouble as a kid cause I changed the theme song to "Some one once told me your mom had a weiner....on the otha side" and sang it while my older sister was watching it. It was perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever said out loud in my entire life.
>>
>>78190454
NOW I CAN'T UNHEAR IT.
>>
>>78190454
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yab_QYxbABA

while I never really got into the show, I can remember it being on.

I do however really enjoy when a show actually manages to properly finish. So many shows try to go on forever and ever and end up getting themselves canceled with subplots unresolved and things in a mess. Any cartoon that can say "Yeah, were done. That's the whole story" gets at least a bit more credit from me.
>>
>>78179217
My parents were the same familia
>>
>>78175980
>even by Klasky Csupo standards
>Rugrats
>The Wild Thornberrys
>That monster show
Its literally the most tolerable artstyle of all their shows whats wrong with you
>>
i remember it wierded me out how there was continuity
i really wanted to get into it, but my younger siblings hated it and actively tried to stop me from watching it for some raisin
the eps i did catch looked fucking cool in a very melodramatic middle school relationship drama sort of way and i loved that shit in secret
>>
I remember seeing it on all the time and, while it wasn't for me, could tell it was a lot more mature than anything else on at the time. Even comparing it to live action shows aimed at kids of the same age, it felt like the most grounded thing on for a while. My girlfriend has a real soft spot for it, saying it spoke to her on a level nothing else (bar stuff aimed at even older audiences) did at the time.

What was the deal with late 90s early 2000s animated sitcoms btw? All of them were aimed at teens and played down the zaniness in favour of having a heart, somewhat. Pepper Ann, Braceface, Downtown, Doug, The Proud Family, Daria. I feel like there was a wave back then that few people talk about.
>>
watched a few episodes
liked it enough but what always stuck with me was a Christmas episode where the brother goes to talk with his dad and he had got him a jar of peanuts
>"im allergic to peanuts"
at the time i didnt understand it a all
but a few years later it hit me
bretty gud
>>
File: 12.jpg (67 KB, 441x411) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
67 KB, 441x411
>>78191869
>All of them were aimed at teens and played down the zaniness in favour of having a heart, somewhat
> Doug, The Proud Family
u serious brah
>>
File: 1429420049436.jpg (4 KB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
1429420049436.jpg
4 KB, 250x233
>>78179288
>that brown hair
>>
It came on when I was in middle school, and I did that thing where you on to a character that shares your name.

>tfw rich pretty popular name
>tfw I am none of those things
>tfw popular bitch isn't bitchy trope

Courtney was the Courtney I wanted to be.
>>
You know, I really have to say, I may have hated the designs, like holy fuck, move their mouths up and we're fine, but I'll be damned if that show wasn't great. I didn't want anyone to know that I would watch it though, since it was clearly aimed at girls.

Also, fuck Macy Gray
>>
>>78181109
ON THE OTHER SIDE
>>
>>78191970
>where you on to a character
where you latch on to a character

typed too quickly
>>
>>78191907
Doug wasn't zany, he was just a weirdo. They were exaggerated scenarios, like how a child would think.
>>
i liked it for Hoodsie and Carl...but the Ginger parts were pretty good too. DONT HATE.
>>
>>78191970
Courtney was cool but acted shallow in front of Miranda and other mean girl...why would you want to be fake like that?
>>
>>78192064
Because I was a middle school girl.
>>
>>78192092
You're not really a girl are you, you fat neckbeard.
>>
>>78192023
its cool, they added the wacky to an otherwise serious storytelling
>>
File: hello stranger.jpg (30 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
hello stranger.jpg
30 KB, 500x293
the fucking episode were the deadbeat father doesnt even show up to see her daughter read a poem that was ABOUT HIM
And then her mother sends her flowers in his name so she doesnt feel bad
too close to home man
>>
>>78193148
Her mom was really great. Obviously busted her ass for her kids and was real with them.
>>
>>78165337
That fucking mouth why god
>>
>>78175673
>How may these HAAAAAANDS.... assist you?
I still quote this scene, it's become an inside joke with my siblings and I.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.