[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /co/ think of Flash Gordon? The character, the comic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: FlashGordonComicStrip.jpg (267 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
FlashGordonComicStrip.jpg
267 KB, 1024x768
What does /co/ think of Flash Gordon?

The character, the comic strip, the movie, the whole franchise.

Do you think we'll ever see another movie?
>>
File: Flash Gordon 2.jpg (22 KB, 600x256) Image search: [Google]
Flash Gordon 2.jpg
22 KB, 600x256
Love the movie.
Liked the comics I've read.
Need to get some of the original strips.
>>
>>78163156
>>78163714
The original strips are fantastic and you can get the entire original run in three really nice hardcovers.
They just started collecting the second run of strips last October too.

The movie is fine, but I think it did a detriment to the series because of it's camp now being the "face" of the franchise when the strips were a grittier sort of sci-fi fantasy.
>>
>>78163156

The Syfy reboot is best forgotten.
>>
>>78163834
While the first half of the series was fucking terrible, it did get some potential near the end.
Ming was alright and Aura was getting a much needed arc...

They just needed to give him a fucking sword and go all out
>>
File: 1438281296649.jpg (388 KB, 1600x939) Image search: [Google]
1438281296649.jpg
388 KB, 1600x939
Flash Gordon is how Al Williamson changed from my favorite inker to my favorite artist.
>>
>>78163780
The movie could have been much more serious but it would have sunk without a trace in the face of Star Wars. For better or for worse, the camp kept it memorable. But yes a more serious take would be great with today's technology.
>>
>>78163896
What a fear most about a movie today is that the 80's one is so memorable. It's a fun movie, I really enjoy it, but damn Alex Raymond's version can offer up so much more.

Then you have the risk of people focusing on the "sci-fi" aspect too much. The recent Dynamite comic did that as well.
>>
>>78163156

Without Flash Gordon we wouldn't have Superman. Without Superman we wouldn't have superheroes. So yeah, I love Flash Gordon. Great 80s movie also. Have only read a handful of his comics would love to see more of him.
>>
>>78164013
Here's a link to the original run.
https://www.mediafire.com/?7cw1v6mg2dw3n
>>
File: 1439290998454.jpg (328 KB, 1255x864) Image search: [Google]
1439290998454.jpg
328 KB, 1255x864
>>
>>78163943
The 80s film runs on nostalgia, Queen, and meme performances

It's terrible on its own merits
>>
>>78164269
Timothy Dalton was perfectly cast as Prince Barin though.
>>
>>78164322
Don't forget BRIAN BLESSED!
>>
>>78164347
He was alright.

Honestly the best thing about the movie, in terms of characters, is that it fleshed out Ming's cronies. Some of whom should appear more.
>>
>>78164347
OH YES OF COURSE

HOW COULD WE POSSIBLY FORGET SUCH A MAGNIFICIENT SPECIMEN
>>
>>78163156
>What does /co/ think of Flash Gordon?

Well personally I think that dundundundundundun FLASH!

......AH! AH!
>>
>>78163156
fugg, I really love adventure sci-fis like this and Buck Rogers. Sucks the genre died out.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.