[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hunchback of Notre Dame - Fan-edit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
Hey /co/, I've got some hot OC for you.

I love Hunchback, but hate the gargoyles. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that they are 99% superfluous, like they were tacked on at the last minute to try and make sure the kids didn't get lost.

This has been on the back burners for a long time, but I've finally finished my fan-edit for you. The gargoyles have been removed. Barring a few minor rough patches, I think it's a better movie now.

DL link:
>https://mega.nz/#!6J9yQbLa!YthCrbT2TPjtiDa9KTmu1sFgB7hmHs6R7jqV_Szs3TQ
>>
I don't have a trailer for you to watch because I'm not sure what I would put in it? It's more about the overall gestalt anyway, which is hard to grasp in a minute and a half. But I know you're not going to want to download some anon's mega link based on little more than that OP, so here's my notes and changelist (which are also included in the DL):

>Short explanation:
GARGOYLES IN “HUNCHBACK” = JAR-JAR BINKS

>Long version:
Jar-Jar Binks is only one of many, many problems with the Star Wars prequels. Even without him, those movies are just horrible.

HOWEVER, “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” (1996) is a pretty great movie! That is, it WOULD be great if it weren’t for those pesky gargoyles.
>>
>>78156613
>Long version (cont'd)

They serve little-to-no narrative function; their actions have no real consequences. Their cartoony nature contrasts so sharply with the tone of the surrounding film, it’s like they’re in the wrong movie. And most of what they say, apart from inappropriate fart jokes, is to EXPLICITLY describe the movie around them in the simplest, most insulting terms possible.

If it isn’t obvious, the gargoyles were shoe-horned in as a hackneyed attempt to make sure the kids don’t get lost or bored. I think the execs pushed for the movie to be more “adult” and “edgy,” and the gargoyles were a last-minute back-pedal after preview audiences with kids complained or something. But, without the back-pedaling, what this pedigree gives us is a Disney movie with RACISM, CORRUPTION, LUST, TORTURE, and a heaping helping of NEAR-RAPE EXPERIENCES. So, FUCK KIDS.

...I didn’t mean literally “fuck kids.” There’s enough creepy shit in this movie already. I mean, like, let’s not worry about making sure kids like this movie? Especially since the gargoyle plan clearly didn’t work. Kids have never liked this movie. I sure didn’t when I was an idiot kid.

So what happens when we get rid of the gargoyles? Well, since they’re mostly a superficial band-aid, removing them is often surprisingly simple. There’s a few bumps in the road (especially toward the beginning), but overall we are given a beautiful, operatic, gothic, epic, mature... well, still not “masterpiece,” but goddammit it’s a lot closer!
>>
>>78156647
>Long version (cont'd)

So yeah, not perfect by any means. Some issues are technical and can’t be helped, due to the raw materials I’ve been given. A better editor might do a marginally better job, but mostly there’s not much more that can be done under these restrictions. Other issues are embedded in the imperfections of the film itself, and may be made even more apparent without the distraction of the gargoyles.

But mostly, I’m telling you man, it is SO MUCH BETTER NOW. The overall momentum and pacing is probably the greatest beneficiary to these changes; i.e. no more stops and starts. The emotional engagement can get a bit deeper. Quasimodo himself feels richer and more relatable -- an endearing eccentric, instead of a legitimate schizophrenic. Not to mention, obviously, the tone has been smoothed out, and the movie no longer treats you like an idiot child. Which is nice.

Maybe the best part: that stupid song is cut. You know the one.

And the gargoyles? Well, they’re still in there. But they have become mute watchers, physical representations of the “eyes of Notre Dame;” usually still, but occasionally brought to life out of the corner of your eye.
>>
>>78156671
>CHANGE LIST

00:07:28 - Removed introduction of gargoyles
---------------------------------
- Bridged the gap to Frollo’s next entrance
by zooming into close-ups and stealing lines
from elsewhere in the scene
- This is to give at least SOME motivation
for Frollo’s question “Whomever are you
talking to?”

00:21:22 - Silenced gargoyle dialog during "Topsy Turvy"

00:23:04 - Removed cartoony sound effect (flower pop)

00:23:09 - Removed shot of gargoyles cheering after "Topsy Turvy"

00:26:19 - Removed cartoony chase scene gag: guards get kicked in the crotch

00:26:21 - Removed cartoony sound design: airplane and bowling pins

00:26:30 - Removed broad/cartoony/stupid gags:
-----------------------------------
- Pulling down stilt-walker’s clown pants
- Launching guard into the sky with pants
like a slingshot (likely to his death)
- Esmeralda catching the guard’s helmet on
her head (admittedly impressive)
- Esmeralda causally knocking out three guards
at once with a single toss of the helmet,
like a pinball machine
- Phoebus’s stupid line: “What a woman!”

00:27:37 - Removed shot of gargoyles’ reaction

00:35:21 - Froze and muted gargoyle movement and dialog
(respectively)
-----------------------------------------------
- Had to paint out animation that falls over
some of Quasimodo and Esmeralda running

00:35:24 - Removed dialog between gargoyles and Quasimodo
(“You got the girls chasin’ ya already”)

00:35:38 - Removed gag: gargoyle comes to life, goat double-take

00:41:43 - Removed dialog between gargoyles and Quasimodo
(now cross-dissolve straight into the start
of “Heaven’s Light”)
>>
>>78156862
>CHANGE LIST (cont'd)
>>
>>78156897
CHANGE LIST (cont'd)
Sorry, it'd be nice if I actually posted it.

00:42:05 - Replaced shot of gargoyles with a shot
of the night sky during "Heaven's Light"
-----------------------------------------
- This removes a cartoony gargoyles gag
- Replaced audio here with the album

00:42:31 - Replaced all gargoyles gags in “Heaven’s Light”
with “flashbacks” of Esmeralda
------------------------------------------------
- Flashbacks are desaturated, “faded,” vignetted

00:50:45 - Removed gargoyle song (and introductory dialog)
-----------------------------------------------
- Esmeralda’s dialog (“Quasi?”) now prelaps cut,
from towers to her opening the door

00:52:36 - Removed Quasimodo ripping Ace of Hearts playing card
(It references the cut gargoyle song
AND it’s insultingly obvious!)

00:53:09 - Removed gargoyle line/shot: “Quick, stash the stiff!”

01:03:47 - Removed gargoyle and Quasimodo dialog
(“We just thought you were made of something stronger”)

01:05:56 - Removed sound effect: cartoon birds chirping (when guard gets hit on head)

01:06:22 - REMOVED GARGOYLES FIGHTING GAGS
-------------------------------
- “I think the cavalry’s here!”
- Phoebus name jokes
- Gargoyle drops brick
- Gargoyle chews bricks and shoots like machine gun
- Building catapult and dropping it
- Cartoony sound design: goofy yell, airplane
- Wizard of Oz reference
- Gargoyle acting as bellows for molten metal

(“MON SEWER”/“I’m free--dang it!” stays,
because I LIKE IT OK??)
>>
Downloading this now. Will check it out sometime later. The idea of it sounds neat.
>>
>>78156962
>CHANGE LIST (cont'd)

01:08:11 - Removed gargoyles reacting to Esmeralda’s “death,”
and closing the door
----------------------------------------------------
- Zoomed into a close-up of ladling water to
smooth out what would otherwise be kind of a jump cut

01:13:58 - Replaced shot of gargoyles celebrating/popping champagne with
a tilt-up to the towers
----------------------------------------------
- Stole the shot from the top of the film
- Reversed direction, and color-corrected to match
the time of day a bit better

01:14:25 - Removed gargoyle gag
(“Don’t you ever migrate?!”)
--------------------------------------
- Cross-dissolve to clouds

01:14:39 - Sped up credits, replaced music

- INSTRUMENTAL “GOD HELP THE OUTCASTS” BY
STEVEN KELLY
I didn’t ask him to use it, but
he seems cool. Mostly just wanted
to replace the terrible “pop” version.

01:17:48 - Removed final gargoyle “button”
>>
>>78156987
Cool, glad to hear someone is. I'm realizing as I'm doing all this text dumping that /co/ might not be the best venue for this sort of thread, since it would take at minimum 90 minutes for anyone to give it a try.

Just be wary that the first change is the roughest (about 7 minutes in). It gets a lot more organic after that.
>>
>>78156450
Gonna bump.

Mods don't kill me, I'll only bump a few times and then I'll let it die.
>>
>>78157051
Yeah. I probably won't be able to sit down and watch this until later tonight and it's possible the thread will have died by then.

The Original Trilogy forums might be a good place to make a thread about this. It's a forum made for discussing various fanedits of movies and they do have subsections for non Star Wars stuff.
>>
>>78156450
One more bump.
>>
>>78157207
For sure. I've got an account at fanedit.org, but I haven't been particularly active the past couple years and I think it went delinquent, so I haven't been able to log in. Admins haven't gotten back to me about that yet, but my main focus was always to post it there.

/co/ is my second home, though, so I at least wanted to give it a chance.
>>
Honestly man? Reddit might be a good place for this. I don't know the best sub, but still. This seems like a great idea and Ive honestly been looking for something like this for awhile. Will watch after work
>>
>>78156450
Great work OP! I feel the same way about any of the comic relief characters in later disney movies(Iago being particularly annoying).
>>
>>78156962
>>01:03:47 - Removed gargoyle and Quasimodo dialog
> (“We just thought you were made of something stronger”)
I actually really liked that scene
>>
Skimming through the movie now. There's a bit with the Gargoyles you forgot to remove at around 38:30.
>>
>>78157939
It's not a bad scene. And if anything is lost with the removal of the gargoyles, it's that occasionally scenes like this will represent his inner thoughts fairly decently. But it is a small sacrifice for the gestalt, which is to make Quasimodo richer and more lonely, and to reduce the extreme whiplash-inducing oscillations of the film's tone.
>>
>>78158212
SHIT. Thanks for that. It's tough because I'm recreating a lot of work I lost a while ago, and I don't want to get sick of watching the whole movie over and over.

I'll get on updating the cut. V2.0 here we come.
>>
Can you cut the parts with Olaf out of frozen next
>>
>>78156647
>...I didn’t mean literally “fuck kids.”
Oops, too late.
>>
>>78158275
No problem. Maybe with this shot at 1:03:53, you could try zooming in to crop the Gargoyles off the side.
>>
>>78158533
I tried that, but man it looked shitty. It's already zoomed as it is, so that was kind of a compromise.
>>
>>78158533
Actually now that I think about it, maybe I can paint them out. It'll really suck since I'll have to track the movement, though.
>>
>>78158318
Nah dude I like Olaf in that movie. I really expected him to be obnoxious, but he ended up being fairly endearing. The whole movie is a lot more playful than Hunchback, anyway, so he fits the tone a lot better than the gargoyles did.
>>
>>78158590
Cool. Don't fret over it too much. Just helping you out.

There's another shot a couple minutes later of them pulling a rope that seems easier to edit out.
>>
File: frolo nofap.png (317 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
frolo nofap.png
317 KB, 800x800
>>78156450
Cool, I can't wait to check this out
>>
>>78156987
>>78157625
>>78158901

Quick note to you guys, as mentioned in >>78158275, I missed a shot. There will be a V2.0, but not today. Probably in the next couple days.

This thread will be long dead, and any after it will probably be hard to find, so... I'm sorry, I have to link you to my tumblr. It's the only way you'll know where to look for the update.

http://combevideo.tumblr.com/
don't hate me /co/; I swear I'm not an sjw, I barely even use the thing
>>
Just wanted to say thanks for this man. Hunchback is my favorite Disney movie and the gargoyles are the one thing I don't like. Can't wait to see the updated version!!
>>
File: 1322260422001.png (32 KB, 217x278) Image search: [Google]
1322260422001.png
32 KB, 217x278
Good on you, OP. This looks neat.
>>
File: ds-106-djali-hugo-lick.png (774 KB, 1077x635) Image search: [Google]
ds-106-djali-hugo-lick.png
774 KB, 1077x635
First Disney gay pairing
>>
File: iYOXpB3[1].gif (270 KB, 452x332) Image search: [Google]
iYOXpB3[1].gif
270 KB, 452x332
>>78156450
>>
so on the topic of fan-editing movies, what are some that you'd want to see done, personally I've been wanting to see someone do an edit of Digimon: The Movie that removes the Hurricane Touchdown portion of the movie and replaces it with the English dub for movie 4 Revenge of Diablomon to make something a lot more coherent and less awful(not quite /co/ related I'll admit, but still somewhat relevant)
>>
>>78163609
Music needs to be fixed too IMO at least.
A couple unneeded sound effects. Also cut the short at the start and the rap start. There might be some salvageable to it, a couple of jokes need cut too.
>>
>>78163721
well obviously the Angela Anaconda short would be removed, that goes without saying, and yeah there probably needs to be some music editing as well, but from what I remember the American Pop Music mostly showed up during the Hurricane Touchdown portion of the film
>>
>>78163939
I used to watch the VHS about once a day for a few years.
I didn't have many movies back then.
Because of the weird zooming, the originals would have to be used as a base for a more complete edit. Might need some further restructuring too, seems like a big project.
>>
Great idea. The gargoyles do suck. I'll check it out.
>>
>>78165015
it's kinda amazing that Disney is responsible for both the best and worst fictional Gargoyles ever
>>
This is a really neat idea. Have you considered doing this with other movies that have annoying side characters?
>>
>>78168927
The Lion King with all the talking animals cut out could be interesting. At least I think so.
>>
>>78169097
Would anything be left asides for maybe the very first scene?
>>
>>78169456
that's probably the joke
>>
>>78158223
>>78157939
Is there no way to reach a compromise? What if you treated the gargoyles not as Jar Jar but as Anakin Skywalker? You don't cut them out completely, but just cut their presence down to the minimum (ie removing the dumb comedy relief bits/bad line readings) That's a version I'd really like to see.

Also, on the topic of Fanedits, does anyone here know what happened to the Hobbit Dwarfed Edition? I was really looking forward to version 3, but it seems like that editor got shit down permanently.
>>
>>78156862
Downloading but I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about this part, as it seems a bit biased/unnecessary since the goal was to cut out the annoying gargoyles.

>- Pulling down stilt-walker’s clown pants
>- Launching guard into the sky with pants
like a slingshot (likely to his death)
>- Esmeralda catching the guard’s helmet on
her head (admittedly impressive)
>- Esmeralda causally knocking out three guards at once with a single toss of the helmet,
like a pinball machine
>- Phoebus’s stupid line: “What a woman!”
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.