[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zen Pencils h8 thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12
Is this objectively the worst web comic there is? it takes some great phrases that he didn't write, put them out of context to make shitty "inspirational" quotes and draws an obvious "controversial, outside the box" story for "unique and special" 14 yeat olds that compleatly misses the point of the original text
Also, post the one makes you cringe the most, mine is pic related
>>
File: 1450010205668.jpg (952 KB, 980x4016) Image search: [Google]
1450010205668.jpg
952 KB, 980x4016
Also, yeah, I'm getting all worked up over a webcomic that no one cares about but i mean, shit, look at this
Fuck this gets me pissed
>>
It's not the worst because it's at least a decent quote a day like calendar thing.

That Bukowski one is just hilarious
>>
wow, what shit. OP is telling you its totally cool to give up your whole like and live in the woods fighting imaginary dragons and the second want me to think that if I'm not some "deep" globe trotting author then i'm a wasted human. fuck them. I'd love a stable well paying job and an affordable home to quietly raise a family in.
>>
>>78154121
What would you say it's the worst? I guess we could get a kinda /co/ related cringe thread going
>>
File: darkest hour.jpg (60 KB, 450x316) Image search: [Google]
darkest hour.jpg
60 KB, 450x316
>>78154060
This is missing the final panel
>>
>>78154456
I haven't had the courage to read the comic but the Miyazaki one is pure cringe
>>
>>78154973
Is that the one about brave artists fighting the vile demon of criticism?
>>
>>78154998
yes, and defacing the moon

There's probably worse though. He manages to completely flatten any authority the quotes have, and most of the time he doesn't fucking understand what they mean in the first place
>>
>>78154060
Why would anyone want to be Ned Stark? If you're going to throw away your life at least do it for a character that doesn't die in disgrace.
>>
>>78154060
The really infuriating thing about ZP is that it manages to completely destroy the original quotes. OP's quote is really inspiring on its own.

“If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery--isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you'll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.”
>>
I used to like ZP until I realized the comics all boiled down to 3 things:
1. Religion sucks (unless it eastern mysticism)
2. Quit your job and become an artist, because you'll never find any meaning in your life otherwise
3. Be excellent to each other

#2 pissed me off because I used to work in an artistic profession before jumping to a corporate one and I've never had more job satisfaction
>>
File: 2014-09-24-shonda.jpg (2 MB, 980x6973) Image search: [Google]
2014-09-24-shonda.jpg
2 MB, 980x6973
>>78154060
>Is this objectively the worst web comic there is?
No. Zen Pencils is written by an arrogant, pretentious, self-righteous piece of excrement that I only thought existed in bad fiction, but --at the very fucking least-- the art is kinda competent. I can think of stuff that's worse than ZP:
>Questionable Content (and stop making threads about it here, for fuck's sake!)
>The Oatmeal
>anything by Andrew Dobson.
>Megatokyo
>CAD (Loss is not, and never was, funny)
>Sinfest (post-SJW Ishida brainwashing)
>XKCD in its most dickish/imsosmrt/lolsorandum.

>Also, post the one makes you cringe the most, mine is pic related
Good thing I found one with a qupte by someone I dislike: I don't know if I hate Shonda Rymes' crap more than Than's desecration and defacement of Sagan or Churchill. Also, this one is utterly hypocritical.
>>
>>78154089

I don't get what's with some artists having a huge hatred for conformity when, for me, one of the reasons art is so imporant in my life is that it gets me to find beauty in everything, even the most mundane things.

I guess they're just in it for the satisfaction they get when they think they're better than everyone else?

Also the dude in the comic looked like he lived a pretty decent life. A real life "unremarkably average man" in the world really should be some poor chinese guy who works 12 hours a day in a sweat shop all his life.

Also there's the hilarious irony that Zen Pencils itself is an extremely unremarkable and inane webcomic that will be forgotten pretty soon after it's done.
>>
File: part 1.jpg (2 MB, 980x8145) Image search: [Google]
part 1.jpg
2 MB, 980x8145
>>
File: part 2.jpg (2 MB, 980x8060) Image search: [Google]
part 2.jpg
2 MB, 980x8060
>>78156549
>>
File: part 3.jpg (2 MB, 980x8056) Image search: [Google]
part 3.jpg
2 MB, 980x8056
>>78156590
>>
File: part 4.jpg (3 MB, 980x8179) Image search: [Google]
part 4.jpg
3 MB, 980x8179
>>78156619
>>
>>78156643
...you beautiful bastard
>>
>>78156643

This is actually an improvement because, other than the message on the moon being a word that 95% of the world won't understand, now it's something everyone can understand. This is a more inspiring message.
>>
>>78156289
Jesus Christ, It takes a sever lack of self awareness to make that
>>
>>78156669
One of my favorites
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (80 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
80 KB, 413x395
>>78156289

>look at the books the "lazy dreamers" are reading
>one of them is Zen Pencils
>mfw he's calling fans of the comics "lazy dreamers" who don't actively work on their goals in life
>mfw it's a clue that this is all just a satire of terrible pretentious wanna-be artists
>>
File: AbhayZenPencils.jpg (517 KB, 980x3178) Image search: [Google]
AbhayZenPencils.jpg
517 KB, 980x3178
>>
>>78156590
I'll admit, the "worst. Pilot. Ever" joke made me kek
>>
>>78154845
underrated

man i haven't seen that in years
>>
>>78156289
>the lazy dreamers are apparently failures
>Attractive, can afford a decent place and a healthy social life
I wish I could fail at life like that.
>>
>>78156289
>you can either work hard to have your dream come true and be happy or you can be lazy, do nothing, and still be happy
>>
>>78156742
I'm part of that 95%, could you explain?
>>
but anon, all you're doing is advertising his comic
>>
So he doesn't have to pay any royalties for using those quotes right? How come there's never been a parody using one of those quotes mocking him?

I'm no comic writer, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard and there must be plenty of comic capable people who hate this guy. Surprised i haven't seen any edits
>>
>>78157147
"art" is a very lofty word that has lost much of its meaning

loss is loss
>>
>Is this objectively the worst web comic there is? it takes some great phrases that he didn't write, put them out of context to make shitty "inspirational" quotes and draws an obvious "controversial, outside the box" story for "unique and special" 14 yeat olds that compleatly misses the point of the original text

don't forget he makes money off it
>>
>>78156643
Hip hop also makes me puke as well.
>>
>>78157250

No, I mean that 90% of the world doesn't speak English. They don't know what "art" means.

Now Loss is a universal symbol.
>>
File: 1UFAqlw.jpg (295 KB, 890x793) Image search: [Google]
1UFAqlw.jpg
295 KB, 890x793
>>
File: 1449378594835.png (122 KB, 364x364) Image search: [Google]
1449378594835.png
122 KB, 364x364
>>78157310
>>
>>78156951
But anon, what if I want to quit my day job to do a job that I like that's also benificial, like quitting my fast food "career" to be an electrician or to work as a sex shop owner?
>>
>>78156289
Loss is absolutely hilarious but that doesn't make CAD good, or give it credit for the humor which is entirely derived from other people fucking with the shit comic
>>
>>78157346
I don't know, take it up with Abhay Khosla I guess.
>>
>>78157346
I think you can draw a distinction between a fantasy and a legitimate aspiration.
>>
There are definitely worse but it's one of the most aggravating
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.