[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How well does the Ultimate Spiderman (pre-Miles) run hold up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: tony stark.jpg (241 KB, 900x1367) Image search: [Google]
tony stark.jpg
241 KB, 900x1367
How well does the Ultimate Spiderman (pre-Miles) run hold up to Amazing Spiderman?
>>
Are we talking ASM vol. 1, Vol. 2? As a whole?
>>
>>78141157
Bendis?
>>
It lacks the genre defining stories such as Death of Gwen Stacy, nothing can stop the juggernaut, Kravens last hunt etc, but also lacks the absolutely putrid stories such as clone saga, sins past, OMD etc. Overall I'd say it's more consistently good.
>>
>>78141118
it's really really unremarkable as a story.
>>
>>78149595
>>78149624

yeah it's a decent read but it's just so...safe
>>
Amazing is better for more history and more characters to interact. But you should read Ultimate anyways because it's a really good book.
>>
>>78146014
The writer?
>>
>>78150740
bendis writes?
>>
>>78150599
Is amazing the one with Chat? Because that one was clearly the best done AU Spiderman.
>>
>>78150942
Yeah, he writes.
>>
>>78150974
>Yeah, he writes.
cooking books?
>>
>>78150974
If you can call that writing.
>>
>>78150963
That's Marvel Adventures. Amazing is 616.
>>
File: spidey.jpg (459 KB, 1500x1086) Image search: [Google]
spidey.jpg
459 KB, 1500x1086
>>78149595
For fairness we should probably limit it to the first 100 or so issues of ASM.

I actually think Ultimate reads more "dated" than ASM. Like how Seinfeld was such a massive influence on TV that it now appears stale and generic in comparison, Ultimate really changed the way comics are presented these days for better or for worse and today comes off as unoriginal.

The appeal in Ultimate was and is in seeing how they update these old stories in a new more grounded context. At some point I feel Bendis goes off the rails in trying to connect everything together which is a problem the Ultimate U and eventually the movies would also have, and the more "original" aspects that start getting introduced with the symbiotes is where the entire comic goes downhill.

The original ASM stories are still all time classics and, for my money, the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon is a much better attempt to recontextualize those stories.
>>
>>78141118
Top 3 Spider-man runs.

Maybe the best in terms of length
>>
The first volume of USM (ending with Ultimatum) is fucking sublime. It had a consistency in tone and vision, with dynamic characters and what felt like a long-term plan in terms of overall plot. It really felt like Bendis and Bagley owned the character, and weren't just temporary stewards of him.

The Clone Saga was probably the watershed moment of the series, but the writing was still very strong up until Ultimatum. The book was still pretty good post-Ultimatum, but the status quo changes and lousy art definitely hurt things. And of course, the book completely crashed after Death of Spider-Man.

It sucks that USM didn't get the slam-bang finale it deserved, but it's still the best Spider-Man run of the modern era and absolutely one of the best ever.
>>
I'll say that because USM doesn't suffer from terrible lows like ASM does, it's consistently better.

But, for example, USM will never have Gauntlet+Grim Hunt.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.