[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Gothel love Rapunzel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 640x960
Did Gothel love Rapunzel?
>>
I think she did but I think it was an abusive sort of love, at best.
>>
>>78139582
>Did Gothel love Rapunzel?

Everytime she expresses any affection she is either touching or looking directly at Rapunzel's hair.

Nah. She was attached to her maybe, but she definitely saw her as more of a resource than anything else.
>>
>>78139582
Yes. It made sense to keep Rapunzel in the tower since everything outside the kingdom was dangerous. She wouldn't have survived half the things she came across without Flyn.
>>
About as much as you can love a car or a shirt you really like, yeah.
>>
>>78139582
I hate it when people defend Gothel. If you'd ever had a mother like her, like I did, you wouldn't be defending her. She did everything she could to destroy Rapunzel's self esteem and spirit and when it all failed, she resorted to physical violence to get what she wanted. There are too many parents who are like this and get away with it. I was glad she died like she did.
>>
>>78139582
Yes, but she loved herself more.
>>
Yeah but probably more akin to a pet or a car than a daughter. If Rapunzel were to die the loss of her usefulness would probably be more devastating to Gothel than the loss of her as a person but she'd still care about that to some degree.
>>
>>78139582
I mean, you sometimes love a cow, right? you pet it, you have quality time together while milking it, but when she stops producing milk you're selling her for cheap steak and having some of it yourself
>>
No, she loved her powers. Notice she is always stroking her hair and calling her flower.
>>
>>78139881
well to be fair, literally all human interaction is manipulation of some kind or other. This is just the kind people get offended by, but there's so many other kinds, not all of which are even bad. Like when the truth of something is too complicated or too urgent to explain so you just yell or throw propaganda around til people listen to you
>>
>>78139881
It's just people being edgy. Like all those "he was in a coma all along" headcanons for shit like Pokemon.
>>
File: Frollo_clases.png (393 KB, 549x310) Image search: [Google]
Frollo_clases.png
393 KB, 549x310
Did Frollo love Quasimodo?
>>
What was great about this movie was how it pretty accurately it represented covert narsasstic parents. They gush and charm you but will lower your self esteem at the same time. All manipulative tactics.

>watch out for covert narsasstics' nigga they scary
>>
>>78140053
>literally all human interaction is manipulation of some kind or other.
Maybe if you really stretch the definition of "manipulation".

>Like when the truth of something is too complicated or too urgent to explain so you just yell or throw propaganda around til people listen to you
Literally wut? You're not supposed to do that.
>>
>>78140321
In the novel, yes.
>>
>>78140513
I think it's pretty obvious that person is either baiting or a protest-tier libtard.
>>
>>78141478
He clearly put more effort into raising him in the film, but it also portrays him as more villainous. Maybe it's because his brother died as a small child in the movie.
>>
She loved immortality.

I'd probably do that, too, to be honest. Now, why she didn't have the foresight to dig the plant up and keep it in a pot in her house I don't know.

But if I found a way to be immortal all tucked away in the woods near my house, and I lived there for years, I'd be very pissed if one day I was heading to my immortality flower and fuckin' Mark Zuckerberg sent his goons out to take it so heal his daughter's illness.
>>
>>78141661
>dig the plant up and keep it in a pot in her house
It was a magical flower and there was only one of them. I'd be worried I'd fuck it up and kill it. She should have built a garden around it and put her house near it. Less travel.
>>
>>
>>78139582
No
>>
>>78144827
>:^)
>>
>>78141478
And yet in the novel, everyone is a terrible person. In fact the only thing even resembling a truly sympathetic "character," if you could call it that, is Notre Dame itself
>>
https://youtu.be/dIs9sFyFSDk?t=48
>>
>>78139881
is it defending her to say you wanna bang her?

because, yeah.
>>
>>78141646

are you talking about the disney movie? when did he mention having a brother there?
>>
>>78139881

Stop projecting your mommy issues on Gothel.
>>
>>78146263
He didn't, that's the point. Haven't you read the book?
>>
>>78139582
Yes, but she loved herself a whole lot more.
>>
>>78146299
>Maybe it's because his brother died as a small child in the movie.
>>
>>78146285
I'm not that anon and I have a great mom, but they're right. Gothel literally was abusing Rapunzel. She was constantly lying and putting her down in order to manipulate her into doing what she wanted.
>>
>>78146340
Perhaps, that's a plausible cause for how his character is in the movie. Good point anon.
>>
>>78139582
Same way you'd love food or any other means of survival
>>
>>78146376
no, thats what the op said that i was questioning.
>>
>>78141661
>>78141764
>She should have built a garden around it and put her house near it.
That's the original novels story
King begs for a petal to heal his daughter
She says no and says gtfo
The King/King's men steal it from her garden at night
She get pissed and steals the kid
In some versions she kills the parents as well.
>>
>>78146540
They went over it and over it and felt like there was no way to have the King steal the flower and not look like an asshole. So they had them take a flower they didn't know someone was using.
>>
>>78146638
I remember they also had a chore with making Mother G evil because all there tests groups(or at least the women) were very disagreeable with a female villain that raised a child
Im guessing the moms were force to think on things that made them uncomfortable
>>
>>78146536
What's confusing you? It's just speculation about what could have caused the two Frollos to end up differently
>>
>>78146638
A lot of the German and French fairy tales had weird loaded morals to them, where they would tell you everything done was wrong and all these people shouldn't have done what they did.
>>
>>78146718
I am glad that they made her the way they did though. So often people don't pay attention to child abuse like this and to see it played out there on the screen, it was rough, but I felt like I wasn't alone. SOMEONE knows the kind of shit I went through growing up enough to write a character that was eerily similar to my own mother.
>>
>>78142649
>>>/d/
>>
File: 1434911045293.jpg (5 KB, 134x200) Image search: [Google]
1434911045293.jpg
5 KB, 134x200
>>78146826
*hugs*
>>
File: 135679987656890.jpg (32 KB, 288x339) Image search: [Google]
135679987656890.jpg
32 KB, 288x339
>>78146826
Is there anyone on the planet who didn't have an abusive mother or abusive father or both?
>>
>>78147263
Mine were a combination of being neglectful, not preparing me for adult life, and not letting me leave the house for anything but school until I was 19. That's not abuse though, I know they love me.
>>
>>78147297
Oh fuck anon, are you me?
>>
>>78147297
It is a form of abuse, anon. A more deceptive form because there is love, but there's too much control. As you get older parents are supposed to allow you more freedom until you can take care of yourself, but some parents become dependent emotionally on their kids and don't want to let them go. Some parents hold their children tighter than others, and some flat out don't care if the child wants to have a life of her own.
>>
>>78147263
Mine aren't abusive.
>>78147297
I'm more in this boat though, they didn't prepare me and coddle the shit out of me but that's also my fault too
>>
>>78139650
So it's kind of how women see men.
>>
>>78147438
>implying men don't see women as cumdumpsters to dump their cum into and nothing more
>>
>>78147601
And women will exploit that desire to get stuff that they want.
>>
>>78147832
Exactly, men and women are both guilty of using each other.
>>
>>78147263
My parents were pretty based. strict enough to keep me in line, permissive enough to let me do my life, accepting of me and supportive but also pushing me to do better.

The only thing I could possibly say is .aybe they weren't hard enough on me?
>>
>>78146718
Oh what a shock, women aren't prepared to accept their helicopter she harpy parenting is actually abusive.and harmful to their children? Say it ain't so. Mother Gothel is firmly in Disney's Demo
>>
>>78139650
hot
>>
>breedingofanewsaplinghentaifoundry.jpeg
>>
>>78148140
This seems to be a theme here, parents not being hard enough. My mother was awful, Everything I did was wrong, or wasn't good enough, I got talked down to and the older I got and the more I tried to rebel the worse it got until it started getting physical. Never hitting, but I got tied to a bed when I was 15 because I wanted to go to a friends sleepover and Mom wouldn't let me. I also got locked in the basement a few times.
>>
>>78139582
No, and it was really disppointing the movie didn't explore the idea that she could have.
>>
File: thats wrong jay.jpg (32 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
thats wrong jay.jpg
32 KB, 1280x720
>all these millennials thinking they had abusive parents

Self-pity is an advanced form of narcissism.
>>
>>78148327
The fuck man
>>
File: 134567890786580.jpg (31 KB, 500x574) Image search: [Google]
134567890786580.jpg
31 KB, 500x574
>>78148327
>tfw my dad refused to let me see my best friend because he was creepily possessive and jealous I was spending more time with her than with him
>>
>>78148434
Sounds similar. My mom told me when I was very young that I was an accident and whenever she'd get mad at me she'd tell me she wished she'd gotten an abortion. When I got older and managed to leave a few times, she'd always sucker me back into returning by trying to kill herself. I didn't have enough self esteem then to just leave. I kept thinking "I'm a horrible person if I let her do this to herself." Which was exactly what she wanted me to think.
>>
>>78139582
I just read a fanfic where Gothel agreed to accompany Punzy to see Latherns but she hired some thugs to gang rape them both in order to traumatize Rapunzel and cement her teachings that the world is a very cruel and dangerous place.
>>
>>78149426
show me
>>
She should have.

the story is shit because shit didn't
>>
>>78139881
agreed, gothel betrayed Rapunzel in the worst way for her own perverse reasons, then played the victim when ever Rapunzel question her.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.