[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the point of changing his name from Killgrave to Kilgrave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 7
File: literallywho.jpg (63 KB, 640x370) Image search: [Google]
literallywho.jpg
63 KB, 640x370
What was the point of changing his name from Killgrave to Kilgrave when it's blatantly apparent he just gave himself the edgiest name he could think of?
>>
Kilgrave looks more like an actual name.
>>
>>78139174
Kilgrave is an actual surname. Killgrave is Bendis being edgy.
>>
They shoulda made him purple, at least in his final scenes
>>
The Violet Guy is a good villain.

I'm glad Professor Huh? Is playing him.
>>
After finishing this show, if they set out to make this guy extremely pathetic ( and it's obvious they did) they succeeded in spades. I "almost" felt sorry for the prick. Almost. Hell in some instances he was somewhat likable.
>>
>>78139252
If there was one thing i was disappointed in it was that. When his pops OD'd him on the serum or whatever and he started screaming i was like, "oh shit this nigga gonna turn purple and shit!!" Letdown
>>
>>78139252
The enhancements were a perfect place to make him purple and they did it. I don't get why they didn't just keep it like that. Why'd it go away? They'd only have to do the effects for half an episode.
>>
>>78139213
Does it matter, though? Even if he didn't have persuasion powers, you can get your name changed to any dumbass thing you want.
>>
>>78139332
Right? After seeing how much he fucked up the penthouse after his last experiment I was looking forward to Tennant looking like a goddamn monster.
>>
>>78139353
Because it was a shitty show.
>>
>>78139555
Nah, it was actually pretty good. Dragged a bit in the middle but picked up in the end.
>>
>>78139555
This.
One of the worst shows I've seen this year.
>>
>>78139292
It's too fucking bad there's nothing interesting in watching a shit cliche protagonist trying to capture/kill the most boring and pathetic antagonist imaginable.
>>
>>78139646
If that's actually true, good for you. You must be watching great and/or few shows overall.
>>
>>78139743
Or maybe I have standards to understand that JJ is absolutely terrible and fails at everything it sets out to do.
>>
JessiCAAAA
>>
>>78139174
Half-measures. Like >>78139213 said, "Kilgrave" looks like a proper name that just sounds like "kill-grave" - because of that, the show can have its edgelord jokes tethered to some sort of surprise. If it was written as "Killgrave" from the start, people would have said it looked and sounded like a fake name from jump, and the jokes lose what little punch they had to begin with.

tl;dr
It's the same point in everything else in Jessica Jones - shit twists.
>>
Maybe I just have high standards and pretentious but god damn the writing is awful on this showl.
>>
>>78139174
I had a dream about that guy last night. Pretty trippy stuff.
>>
>>78139232
Credit where it's due, Anon. Stan Lee is the one who named him Killgrave.
>>
I can't see how they'll do a second season of Jessica Jones without him.
>>
>>78145251
wow, I had a dream about this guy last night, too. It was pretty messed up.
>>
>>78145251
>>78147650
are you guys for real?
I had a dream about this guy last night too, it was weird as hell.
>>
>>78147791
No shit?

I had a dream about this guy too.

really
>>
>>78139353
too ashamed of doing anything silly in muh super serious noir thriller
>>
>>78146023
Who needs competent actors playing interesting roles when you have STRONG FEMALE PROTAGONIST AND INTERRACIAL SEX
>>
>>78149232
>Tennant
>competent actor
>playing an interesting role
>>
>>78147650
a dream? like, from sleeping? a real dream?
>>
>>78149181
How do you think Danny's fists are gonna look? Downplayed? Mild yellow/orange vapours emanating from his hands?
>>
>>78149743
Literally an iron fist we'll see once and he'll wear gloves the rest of the time so they can avoid any fun
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 529x352) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 529x352
A reminder that Nuke was the true hero of this story.

>Smart enough to know Kilgrave must die immediately.
>Jessica stops him multiple times only to do it herself a mountain of bodies later
>without him Jessica's ridiculous plan to capture Kilgrave wouldn't have even had a place to lock him up
>Jessica literally tells Kilgrave about the bomb Simpson planted to kill him and gives it to him directly resulting in the death of Simpson's boys, the neighbor and driving Simpson back to the pills by maiming him horribly
>Jessica still calls him an asshole at the end
>>
>>78139830
Keep on tippin' brother, fuck this le gay woman romp!
>>
>>78151018
He killed Not-morgan for no reason and destroyed the prove that could have innocented blonde girl and exposed Kilgrave in the process.
>>
>>78151018
I thought it was dumb that he killed that police detective when the guy gave up all the information he wanted, wasn't threatening him and didn't know or suspect he was trying to murder Kilgrave.
>>
What was the point of having special knockout drugs that "stop" his powers?

His powers work once then wear off in 12 hours. After the initial contact his powers don't do anything. The drug just knocked him out like any tranquilizer in the world would have.
>>
>>78151148
It was a hunch that turned out to be wrong. Fictional characters being wrong on purpose. Totally unrealistic right?
>>
>>78151176
When you shoot an innocent man in the head that can do you no harm, destroy evidence that could save an innocent and expose a criminal. it's not being wrong, it's being a criminal.
>>
>>78149232

>STRONG FEMALE PROTAGONIST
Did you even watch the show or just read summaries on /pol/? Jessica is not a strong protagonist at all (even in the physical sense despite having super strength as it's y'know a fucking superhero show she still gets the shit kicked out of her). She's a complete wreck and fuck up who continually screws up. None of the women (or anyone in fact) in the show is strong in terms of character. Everyone is broken fucking mess..

>INTERRACIAL SEX
Unless you're uncomfortable with it because you're gay for black dudes this isn't really presented as erotic or desirable. The sex is between two very emotionally damaged people struggling for meaning in their lives not some sexy tryst..
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 372x396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 372x396
Does anyone call him Zebediah in the show?
>>
>>78151131
>>78151137
It was pretty obvious the writers realized he was right so they needed to make him do something cartoonishly evil out of the blue.

Remember the only reason he was maimed and went back to the pills was because Jessica told Kilgrave that Simpson planted a bomb then gave him the fucking bomb.
>>
COME HERE JESSICA
NOOOOOOOOOOOW JESSICA

But seriously I sorta liked Kilgrave. Maybe because I never saw Tennant as Dr Who, but he fit nicely.
>>
>>78151301
>Remember the only reason he was maimed and went back to the pills was because Jessica told Kilgrave that Simpson planted a bomb then gave him the fucking bomb.
Meaning she wouldn't have been able to prove the innocence of the girls and killing all the the other people living in the house too.
>>
>>78151301
You forget the part when he decided to play solo and not inform his plan to the people that had agreed he'd work with.
>>
>>78151353
Yes, the people who were constantly ignoring his contributions, locking him up for funsies, belittling his suggestions and actively impeding him of solving the problem permanently.
>>
>>78151391
>Yes, the people who were constantly ignoring his contributions
Nope.

It was at a point when they had agreed to work togehter and then he started working solo and keeping in the dark the other.
>>
>>78151262
No.
>>
>>78151301
>characters did nothing wrong
Yes he did
>that's the writers fault if he wasn't written that way he would have done nothing wrong
go write a fanfiction, you can't be selective about the writing unless the writing team change completely.
>>
>>78151353
You mean like how Jessica decided to play it solo by living with Kilgrave for fucking days without telling anyone and Simpson found out?

Simpson also didn't play it solo, he brought in his mother fucking boys. I'll take a former spec ops and his boys over an untrained person that can bench a lot.
>>
>>78151460
Pretty much, I'm not gonna say he did nothing wrong because that's patently untrue, but if the show was called Nuke, it would be over by episode three.
>>
>>78151460
>>78151499
She actually told her friend.

And I am talking about how Simpsons knew where Killgrave lived even before Jessica and decided to play solo by not telling anyone about it despite the other giving him his trust.

If he had actually told he had found Killgrave back, all the mess he went it might have actually been avoided.
>>
>>78149743
Official synopsis uses the description fiery. I expect it'll be budget golden flame effect. But you know what? That'll still be pretty tight.
>>
>>78140403
COOOOOOOOOOOOOME BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCKKK HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE JEESSIIICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>78151424
Who are you arguing with? That post isn't defending the writing.
>>
>>78151756
>giving him his trust.
Didn't happen.

Jessica only told her friend after she had lived with Kilgrave for days.
>>
>>78151018
He looks like if Chris Evans fused with Nicholas Cage.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-13-02h11m15s77.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-13-02h11m15s77.png
1 MB, 1280x720
I thought he looked pretty neat.
>>
>>78151301
No, it's pretty obvious that the writers were on a moralizing spree.
Simpson was basically an excuse they used to go
>Muh subverted action hero
>Muh critique on toxic masculinity
>Muh equally vulnerable male and female side characters
>Muh snark

Which is somewhat undermined by the fact that Jones and Walker would rather keep the wannabe loose cannon cop around so they can neg him for kicks, instead of telling him to get lost and stay lost.
>>
>>78152758
Articles from The Mary Sue are not where you should get your ideas on what the writers intended.
>>
>>78139232
you know purple man is purple! Stop being played. It doesnt take much to make him purple as A side effect from the amp of his powers from his daddy!

Never mind, How much does it cost for me to buy your childhood from you & can I pay you in black leather?
>>
>>78152587
Finally someone else that sees it
>>
>>78149280
Yeah. I haven't watched JJ since I finished it a couple days after it went live but I had a real deep sleep dream about him. It was my second dreamIn a row.
>>
>>78139252
>>78139332
>>78139353

You can't have purple man actually being purple, they are trying to make a gritty and serious TV show, it all goes to waste if you have people in silly spandex costumes fighting a man with purple skin.
>>
>>78153246
I just wish he'd gone full purple (and full insane) after Daddy got him his power drugs, at least.
>>
>>78153329
Once again, it would ruin the mood they wanted to settle if you had the villain going purple on his final showdown with the hero. it can work on animation and comics, but a live action purple man will always look too silly.
>>
>>78153386
>people actually defend the shitty ending
>insisting that a purple skinned guy is too silly when people can accept Joker as a serious thing and that's a guy in a fucking clown outfit
>>
>>78153446
I'm not saying the ending was good, I'm saying "by the book" purple man would not work on what they were trying to achieve

And the joker needed to get major changes on his character design before normalfags accept him as really intimidating, TDK joker is way different than the classic look, and I believe I don't even need to mention suicide squad joker
>>
>>78146023
Maybe it's for the better that he's dead. Kilgrave has the type of powers that is hard to write well. In this show, it got quite comical when he escaped for the xth time. Even the ending was resolved by Jessica's unexplained immunity to his powers.
>>
>>78152569
I am talking about their first plan to capture Killgrave.

It's after it failed that Simpsons went solo.
>>
>>78151226

Doesn't matter. Any show with a few characters who aren't white or who are chicks are gay is SJW/reddit/tumblr to /pol/ m8, where have you been?
>>
>>78153619

>"by the book"

So some chick who overcoming rape trama wants to start reading comics and follow jessica jones.

How long until she gives up?
>>
>>78145251
>>78147650
>>78147791
>>78148197
You guys are scaring me
>>
>>78145251
>>78147791
>>78148197
Maybe we all should start a support group.
>>
>>78157818
Only if it peters out and leads to nothing.
>>
>>78158167
>>78157818
Only if sex dreams are allowed too
>>
>>78158167
Well, yeah, of course.
>>78158666
Nice to know that even Satan has inappropriate dreams about Kilgrave.
>>
>>78158778
Oh they were very appropriate.
>>
>>78151018
>>without him Jessica's ridiculous plan to capture Kilgrave wouldn't have even had a place to lock him up

All they'd really need is a ball-gag and a pair of handcuffs to neutralize him as a threat. That chamber was kind of overkill.
>>
>>78158804
So were mine. That's why they were so terrifying. He made me wear a wedding ring
>>
>>78158833
Mine was focused on that "KIss me. And MEAN IT" part. Oddly arousing.
>>
>>78139440
Even AoS got this shit right with Mr. Hyde in the last episode
>>
>>78151460

>his mother fucking boys

I will never get over the scene where they all plan together to ambush Kilgrave and Malcom and Nuke suggest he brings in his professionally trained driver and HIS BOYS because he doesn't think his girlfriend can handle it and both her and Jessica give him a look like he's the most retarded asshole in the world and how dare he even suggest that.

And then they fucking lose him because his bodyguards show up and they're outnumbered. They weren't outsmarted, they didn't get mind controlled, they just got fucked because they didn't expect the guy who can mind control people to have literally anyone looking out for him. They had backup possible and they ditched it for LITERALLY NO REASON.
>>
>>78139265

This is chum
>>
>>78139555
will be the first super hero tv show to win awards
>>
>>78139353
because Marvel hates fun
>>
>>78159378
Reviewers only got the first half of the season.
At least that's the excuse I hear from basically everyone about JJs glowing reviews.
>>
>>78158858
l-lewd
>>
>>78139292
People bitch up and down about him, but Kilgrave is one of the few marvel villeins true to his comic self.

He doesn't aim for taking over the world or even underworld plans because it has fucked him over in the past.
He chooses to do the easy route and just influence shit to be comfy.
When his powers get bypassed he is just a pathetic shit who screams do what I say.
How he uses his powers is spot on with money,hoes, and sadistic torture.

The only thing I'm curious about is if they'll add in the healing factor thing should JJ get more seasons.
>>
>>78151018
Hes still responable for what he did on drugs.

But otherwise I agree that he was the true hero of the show. JJ only gave a shit because it was her rapist.
>>
>>78161260
Speaking of rape, anyone else find it weird how Kilgrave categorically refused to admit he raped Jessica?
Like, all the fucked up shit he does casually ("cut off each others faces if I'm not back in an hour"), and somehow having to admit that fucking someone whose free will you took away is rape, that's his limit?
Seemed oddly arbitrary.
>>
>>78161419
>Like, all the fucked up shit he does casually
He also claimed not to have committed the acts he made his victims do though, denying being a direct murderer himself.

So i9n that sense, denying having raped her made perfect sense regarding his self-image. Others may do wrong because of him, but he himself has not done so. Or at least, that's what he thinks
>>
>>78161534
You mean he's overall delusional? I figured that was just façade, but it seemed extremely important to him that "from his perspective" he didn't rape Jessica.
>>
>>78161593
He definitely seems to hold the view that he's not a terrible person.
>>
>>78163899
>>78161593

It makes since for him to be a bit delusional. The line where he mentions growing up with his power is a good example of this. Could you imagine trying to get consent out of a woman without using your powers? Pick up lines and a decent conversation would be hell without going rapey. After all, he can't turn off his powers.

So yea, him believing his own excuses made perfect sense to me.
>>
>>78164169
>"I once told a man to screw himself, can you even imagine?"
>>
>>78164169

His powers work by someone doing what he tells them to, yes? not just that they do whatever he wants psychically, he has to say something to the extent of "have sex with me" for them to "want" to do it, right?

so if he never does that, and they still have sex, its not rape. the level of consent is tenuous, but its not using his powers really.
>>
>>78164249
But conversation becomes a mental gymnastics for yourself. You suddenly have to be careful of everything you say because one little joke may send the woman off to do something silly or dangerous.

And once that happens 1 or 2 times shes going to freak out and leave. When it keeps happening you're just going to lie to yourself and believe that they really would have fucked you or that they had some degree of choice.

If you've ever been around a sensitive person who takes everything out of context or views it as a personal attack, it is kind of similar to what kilgrave goes through with the word choice.
>>
File: I_love_you.gif (2 MB, 540x300) Image search: [Google]
I_love_you.gif
2 MB, 540x300
>>78164169

In truth having a power like his probably would seriously fuck anyone up, you wouldn't know what's real about other people before, if anything. I mean the fact that he had it for his whole life of course fucks him up. Doesn't excuse his actions but you can understand why he went crazy.
>>
The finale was a let down. Marvel can't really get a good endcap on netflix shows.

They should have killed Kilgrave with the fight with Luke Cage.
>>
File: Consider The Following.png (51 KB, 246x214) Image search: [Google]
Consider The Following.png
51 KB, 246x214
>>78139174
Better question is why they made a 13 episode series when they had enough content for 6 episodes tops.
>>
>>78145251
I remember a dream like that. He told me to be a power bottom.
>>
>>78166268
Tennant's interpretation is that almost anyone with his powers would turn out they way he did.
>>
>>78149250
Were you the 10th Doctor? You seem rather angry.
>>
>>78158873
Her name's Daisy!
>>
File: tom-baker.jpg (460 KB, 1290x1910) Image search: [Google]
tom-baker.jpg
460 KB, 1290x1910
>>78167552
Butthurt Tom Baker fan.
>>
>>78167592
Tom was the fourth Doctor. Are you even paying attention?
>>
>>78167641

Yeah, Baker fans hate Tennant because he beats Baker out in the "Best Doctor" polls all of a sudden. That's why anon was butthurt.

Never mind that Tom Baker actually is the best Doctor always and forever and Tennant voters are just a bunch of shallow pleb babies who have never seen Classic Who.
>>
>>78139727
It was boring, because Killgrave shouldn't have been the antagonist.
>>
>>78167932
But he was the best part of the show.
>>
>>78139727
A female protagonist who isn't a very good person and repeatedly suffers for her flaws isn't very cliche.
>>
>>78166639
Yeah.

For all the shit Daredevils finale got, itnwas a proper emotional release to see Daredevil win after struggling all season. And not just winning, a glorious victory that left Kingpin powerless and frustrated for once.

And it was a proper spectacle. Kingpin sent NY into chaos one more time before DD stopped him.

We didn't get that with kilgrave. He never seemed especially desperate or vulnerable. Really, the hospital should have been his last stand, let Jessica take the security footage of him to exonerate the support group. She lost the battle with Hope, but won the war.

Instead its just... Meh. More of the same.
>>
>>78167778
I've watched a good chunk of both
Tom Baker is the better Doctor but Tennant and the newer Who's are more fun to watch in general
>>
>>78152136
NOWWWW JESSSSIIICAAAAA
>>
>>78151226
>Unless you're uncomfortable with it because you're gay for black dudes
You know I have never been into black dudes, but I can make an exception for Mike Colter.
He's cute as fuck.
>>
>>78168139
The ending was all fucked up.

Jessica's plan was "have the only person I love walk directly to Kilgrave and his army of cops. Meanwhile I will climb in the window or something extremely, extremely far away from him so they can all shoot me easily."

The very end would have been 1000 times better if Kilgrave had her kill someone to test his powers instead of watching for a reaction from controlling sis. Jessica kills someone to fool Kilgrave and save Patsy.
>>
>>78169358
>The very end would have been 1000 times better if Kilgrave had her kill someone to test his powers instead of watching for a reaction from controlling sis. Jessica kills someone to fool Kilgrave and save Patsy.
What if he asked her to kill Patsy?
>>
>>78169375
She would have pulled out the gun anyone not retarded would have got and shot him from a distance.
>>
>>78169416
>>78169375
>>78169358
The plan for her was to have Trish shoot him while he was not looking but she got knocked and lost her headphones. After that Jessica wanted Kilgrave's last order to the mob to 'Stop' and not 'Kill each other' because she didn't know if they'd carry out his orders after death or not.

This was outright stated and/or shown.

After that she played into his delusions of love and killed him when he threatened Trish because she wouldn't mind risking everything for Trish, almost like a reverse 'Spiderman saves the bus instead of Gwen', because Jessica is not the most selfless of heroes.

This part was more implied, but you can' assume the writers stupidity when there's a way that works.
>>
>>78169563
>The plan for her was to have Trish shoot him while he was not looking but she got knocked and lost her headphones
That was really the plan?

Shouldn't Jessica have walked in as the distraction while Patsy tried to sneak in then? Patsy was literally surrounded by gun wielding cops as part of the plan and their was no way either of them knew Kilgrave wouldn't just waste her after already trying to do it once.
>>
>>78169792
Nevermind shooting him, neither of them had a gun, I don't htink, but definitely sneak behind him or serve as bait. They had no one else to help either, so it was kind of a leap of faith on playing to Kilgrave's psychosis, but the point still stands.

Now, I don't think it was the best finale it could've been, but it certainly wasn't unjustified or incoherent, I don't feel. It was still a heck of a lot better than the comics, though.

I would've liked him to have been punched in the throat and move his lips trying to say 'help me' or something, and die without anyone wanting to help him, since it would have some irony to it and a bit more impact than Jessica of murder, but I was invested in the characters enough to find the relief of his death satisfying, even if not perfect.
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.