[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone have a huge hard on for this show? I watched
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (388 KB, 1231x940) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
388 KB, 1231x940
Why does everyone have a huge hard on for this show? I watched the first two eps when it first aired on tv and I don't like it. Simple as that, but I don't judge others. But when I told my friends and classmates they're like, "omfg! Are you a faggot?! It's the greatest show ever!!!" So I watch 5 more episodes and yup, not impressed. So explain to me /co/, why does everyone jerk off to this show?
>>
>inb4 reddit
>>
>Why does everyone not have the same tastes as me?
>>
I've watched through all of it and I think it's just alright. I know how you feel, my friends (who barely watch cartoons mind you) like to play it up like its the most hilarious show ever.

I get that it's clever and shit, but the humor is sort of whatever. So I dunno.
This coming from a Manchild that only watches animated shows.
>>
>>78136135
you at least recognize how different it is from other shows, right? that's the parts we like. it's clev, bruh
>>
>>78136410
op here: yeah I'm aware of that. It's just a form of comedy that doesn't work for me. I just don't understand why people want to crucify my nuts when I simply say I don't like the show.
>>
>>78136410
>generic sitcom with sci-fi elements on it
Truly groundbreaking.
>>
>>78136471
Because they're assholes who can't comprehend that people don't like what they like.
>>
>>78136135
It's almost like people have opinons or something
>>
>>78136135
Your friends sound like assholes.

Either that or you're using hyperbole.

In which case, you are the asshole.
>>
>>78136135
It's trendy to like it. So people claim they love it online even though they are shouting at how it is shit each and every time they actually watch it.

But you are not allowed to hate it so go make a thread about how it is fucking genius because we are required to do that.
>>
>>78138932
Who holds the sword of damocles, anon? Who's forcing you to say all this?

Grow the fuck up, you wimpy shit. If you let your opinions be dictated by others, how are you any different from a hipster in reverse?
>>
>>78139063
The show is shit and you know it is shit

Quit acting like it is anything more than the same old reddit crap in animated form kept alive because trendy fucks online love to quote every last line in hopes of looking cool.
>>
File: 1356065163543.jpg (4 KB, 124x114) Image search: [Google]
1356065163543.jpg
4 KB, 124x114
>:3 face
>>
>>78139215
>Psssh, if only they knew.
>*Teleports to basement*
>>
> when I told my friends and classmates they're like, "omfg! Are you a faggot?! It's the greatest show ever!!!"

Something about that sentence makes this laughable.
>>
People have a hard on for the show because it's good and funny. You just have shit taste.
>>
>>78136135
people are just crazy bro
>>
Art's pretty shitty but yea pretty funny from what I've seen.
>>
Gone through 2 seasons, when does the funny happen?
>>
>>78139215
I'm not talking about the show. I'm talking about YOU, fuckface.

If you were to hear a third person agree with you, you'd change your story, you worthless contrarian. You let reddit tell you what you like by telling you what they like they you don't like.
>>
>>78136135
I don't get the love for TV is show either. It has potential, but shits the bed more often than not.
>>
>>78139506
Yea that must be why I am here saying it is shit and I hate it.

Because I am forced to say I love it riiiight?
>>
>>78139568
Your perception is that you're supposed to love it, so instead you hate it.

Pretty clear-cut to me. I hope you can understand that.
>>
>>78139649
I hate it because it is a fucking awful show that I wish the rest of the damn zombies would wake the fuck up and realize is terrible and quit being children and just admit they do not like it already.
>>
It's like a grown up version of Gravity Falls. Except it has none of the charm and/or good humor. It's okay, my favorite part is just when Rick and Morty bitch at each other back and forth.
>>
>>78139730
lol
>>
It's an adult cartoon that uses whimsical humor instead of grossout/gore/McFarlane humor. Of course /co/ is going to have a boner for it.
>>
>>78136135
It's definitely better than tumblr universe that's for sure.
>>
>>78139730
This could almost be a 4chan banner.
>>
>>78136478
The generic sitcom part is a huge part of the comedy.

Most of the episodes are satirizing some famous sitcom or another.
>>
>/co/ hates something you like.
YOU ARE A AHORRIBLE PICE OF SHIT, DIE IN FIRES YOU FUCKIN PC SJW TUMBLRINA!

>When someone doesn't like something you like in real life.

Oh....okay. What else do you watch?
>>
>>78139928
They even make specific references to it.

>"I'm sure your parents are caught up in some grounded story about their failing marriage."
>>
>>78139730
>I hate it because it is a fucking shit show than is mind controlling the populace, and I am somehow unaffected, and that everyone else is a zombie that really hates the shit show if not for the mind control, and is evil, and and and and and
>>
>>78136135
I like it, I think it's a good show, but the massive wank-off the internet has participated in over it is just embarrassing. It doesn't deserve to be ranked as IMDB's 4th best TV series of all time and just shows to me that the people who love it so much simply haven't watched that many shows and would probably proudly claim to be a "fan" of the show.

Don't get me wrong, I like the show a lot and I get why people like it, but it definitely has its flaws and is nowhere near as clever, insightful, hilarious and innovative as most people seem to think it is.
>>
>>78140328
I keep thinking in a day or two he will look up and have that moment of realization
>>
>>78136471
My friends got the same way when I said I don't like sushi.
>>
>>78136135
Its a funny show
Stop being such a faggot
>>
>>78136135
It's the kind of show that tries to hard to be deep instead of just letting that stuff come naturally. It also assumes its audience is full of retards and explains every little thing the characters are feeling just so that no one'll be at a loss.

There's the one episode where Beth and Jerry're arguing in Rick's stronghold under the garage, and the alien just comes out and states what's wrong with them and their marriage to a T. Not long after we're treated to Rick's ex explaining in excruciating detail why, exactly, he's a bad influence on others. In a later episode, rather than just showing us that Morty has repressed rage, Rick just out and says Morty does before Morty does anything that would clue the audience in to the fact that he does, indeed, have repressed rage.

Ideally the character development should speak for itself.
>>
>>78136135
This and Bojack Horseman.
>>
>>78136135
>the butter robot
Show's crowning moment right there.
>>
>>78136135
I love the show but maybe you just have shitty friends
You're still a faggot though
>>
>>78142091
true that
>>
>>78141881
I think there tends to be a lot of circle jerking over Bojack Horseman that dies down in a couple of weeks, and it doesn't really have an annoying fanbase around it of people claiming it's the best show ever made.
>>
>>78136135
yep the show's not great but you sound like a faggot
>>
File: lel.jpg (1 MB, 2200x3037) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
1 MB, 2200x3037
>>78140146
totally pomo
>>
>>78136135
Why do you need to ask others about their opinions? If you don't like it, it's okay.
>>
>>78136135
For me, I love the plots of each episode. Very creative and very fun in that regard.
>>
This show OP is like big bang theory with no laugh track. Normies think it's oh clever but it's just bad
>>
>>78136471
Well as long as your friends dont hold it against you, its not that big a deal. Make sure they understand "its just not your kind of thing" and "opinions".

I love the show, but its silly to think everyone else will.
>>
>>78136135
And that's Ok, Man.
>>
File: 1449810658277.png (55 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1449810658277.png
55 KB, 800x600
>>78136135
I know right? Why do people even dare to like things that I don't like? I'm really glad you made this thread from your apple product so we can all lavish in how you are a pariah of good taste, and how anyone that disagrees is a drone.
>>
>>78144115
That reminds me of that BBC Sherlock show. Everyone I know loved it and said it was "a clever interesting thriller", but the actual formula was just dumb.
>>
File: 1426758052691.jpg (27 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1426758052691.jpg
27 KB, 400x400
>>78144512
Dont be a cunt, anon.
Everyone has a right to have opinions.
>>
It's pretty good and actually pretty original, but as always, the fanbase is fucking awful and people are going to quote it to death.
>>
>>78141109
Fuck you, Will, that shit's great.
>>
File: 1386519649550.png (29 KB, 196x394) Image search: [Google]
1386519649550.png
29 KB, 196x394
>>78144512
Typical Pearl-lover scum. Can't grasp the concept that anyone has different preferences than them.
>>
>>78139736
>Except it has none of the charm and/or good humor

If you think Gravity Falls is funny you're beyond help.
>>
>>78140450
why are you triggered so much by people loving a show you like? Fans of a specific thing always think it's the best. That's pretty much what being a fan is.
>>
>>78140450
There's complaining about people liking a thing you don't like, and then there's complaining about people liking a thing you like more than you.
>>
>>78139215
What is "Reddit crap" when it comes to Rick and Morty?
>>
>>78136135
Why do you like cocks OP? They aren't even that good for you.
>>
>>78146618
Buzzwords
>>
>>78146774
Such as?
>>
>>78136135

Because different people like different things and that's okay.

I'm sorry you have nothing but fags in your life who don't understand that.
>>
>>78146937
That was probably a different anon replying to you to tell you that "reddit crap" is just a buzzword.
>>
pffy
>>
>>78146618
I don't know, /co/ will like a show based on its own merits and when they discover it's popular on Reddit or something (why wouldn't it be?) they act like it's the fault of the s.how and that anyone who likes it is a Redditor
>>
File: 4452111.png (283 KB, 641x385) Image search: [Google]
4452111.png
283 KB, 641x385
>>78146618
It's the new thing. Any time you see a movie or show you hate, just start calling it Reddit:the series or Reddit:the movie and everyone will just agree with you even if they don't get it.
>>
>>78146355
>not finding Gravity Falls funny
Wow, anon, who knew you have such great taste.
>>
>>78136135
>I don't like it
>I don't judge others
>Why do you have such a hard on for this thing I hate?
>Why are you jerking off to this show?
>people who like this show are like "omfg! Are you a faggot?! It's the greatest show ever!!!" and I'm completely rational and type normally
>I'm not judgmental though
>But I do feel justified in making a thread where you have to defend yourselves
>>
>>78146618
Anything Dan Harmon touches
>>
File: [thing].png (85 KB, 490x2316) Image search: [Google]
[thing].png
85 KB, 490x2316
Let me show you OP.
>>
>>78139792
can't we like both?
>>
>>78141695
>and the alien just comes out and states what's wrong with them and their marriage to a T.

That was the JOKE.
>>
>>78148527
I don't like it either, so I just don't watch it, however I do have a couple of friends who talk about it and tell me how much I would like it, I tell them I have watched it and I don't like it and we leave it there
>>
>>78136135
it sounds like you are a huge faggot that constantly belittles his friends so they have started pointing it out everytime you start to try to show off how you have "better" taste than them.
No one that describes a show with "Why do you jerk off over it" is doing it for the first time, so your friends are literally sick of your shit.
>>
>>78149485
That comic seems like it was made by someone with incredibly thin skin who is secretly aware that they have bad taste.

Also, I AM SILLY
>>
>>78150251
anything you like is shitty and you are jerking off and masturbating over it

Anything I like is for grownups , mature and deep for mature individuals like me.
>>
>>78139928
Do you think satirizing sitcoms is somehow innovative?
It might be funny, but I still don't understand how it makes Rick and Morty anything special.
>>
>>78150391
and yet its more reasonable than op's "YOU ALL JERK OFF TO THIS BUT ITS SHIT"

strawman only said it was for babies.
>>
>>78150410
>wants someone to explain humour to him
>duhhhr do you think satire is supposed to be funny?!!!

No anon, satire is actually meant to make you cry and bellow to the skies, the whole world is wrong and only you have an increased world view and can tell what real humour is!
No wonder your friends avoid you, what a faggot.
>>
>>78146386
>triggered
I read the post. I'm pretty sure he just explained that people who rate it the 4th best television series ever probably haven't seen that much television.

Being a mindless fan of something is blameworthy. His comment is totally justified.

Same goes for
>>78146476
It's not complaining, it's trying to get people to think critically about the things they like.
>>
>>78150437
I don't think you read my post.
Satire is funny. Rick and Morty is funny.
But a lot of shows are satirical and a lot of shows are funny.
Rick and Morty isn't anything particularly new and the praise it gets definitely has a circlejerk vibe.
>>
>>78150471
some shows are funnier than others, through the lens of the viewer's specific sense of humor.

This is not a complex enigma.
>>
>>78150471
>people praise what they like
>This is wrong! I should try to judge it negatively because I dont understand how humour works!

Me and your mom wish you were more worried about your grades instead of what other people like.
>>
>>78150488
I'm claiming that some shows seem funnier to people who haven't seen a lot of shows.
Such people, I think, would be better off spending their time watching more shows than defending a good but not exceptional show on a Taiwanese trap-enthusiast trading post.

Now you may wonder why I'm spending my free time engaged in this argument. The reason is that I'm trying to dispel what I see as a circle jerk so that people realize they need to broaden their tastes and stop circlejerking. Circlejerk culture is what gets us into the rut we're in now.
>>
Oh, this thread's still up?
Why?
>>
>>78150528
What other people like is pretty important. In fact, it's one of the most important things about living in a society.

I know I'm probably not going to change any minds today, but I'm content to be one of the voices pushing for an end to mindlessly consuming media.
It's a terrible thing that rhetoric like, "why do you care what other people like," has become so popular. It's the sign of a people who have become not just willfully, but proudly uncritical.
>>
>>78146286
you are free to have all the wrong opinions you like, and we are free to call you out on your dumbass shitfuckery
>>
>>78150540
>these people with a different sense of humor me are wrong about what they find funny
>I didn't spend three years at clown college to be told my opinion on jokes isn't the most valid
>>
>>78136471
your friends are just idiots OP
>>
>>78150568
the relationship between critical thinking and selective taste is a bell curve. After you hit discriminatory peak you start to see the merits in things you used to dismiss as worthless.
>>
>>78150587
I'm not saying they're wrong. I'm saying they might be wrong and that they should test it by experiencing more things.
It is evident just from the arguments in this thread alone that many Rick and Morty fans are only so fanatical about Rick and Morty because they see it as something new, which it isn't.

People need to remember that there's nothing noble about stubbornly sticking to their tastes. In fact, that's how you develop a circle jerk, which is bad for everyone, especially me. A big part of why I like 4chan is that it's one of the last places on the internet that isn't a giant circlejerk all the time.

It may seem silly that I care so much about this, but it's because I don't want to see 4chan go the way of so many other sites that I used to use.
>>
>>78150636
Of course that's right, but the fandom around Rick and Morty isn't a bunch of people talking about the merits and the flaws of the show.
Instead, at least based on what I've seen, it consists of people competing to see who can proclaim their uncritical love of the show the loudest.
>>
>>78136135
What's not to enjoy about a drunken old man and a neurotic kid having absurd, reality-bending science fiction adventures? It's a perfect idea for a comedy.
>>
>>78146476
>>78146386
I'm not allowed to think that a show is pretty overrated and then voice my opinion on 4chan, one of the biggest depositories for minor complaints?

Is questioning the validity of so many people claiming that it's the best show ever made really such a bad thing?
>>
>>78139215
And that's the waaay the news goes!
>>
>>78136135
I'm not a /co/ faggot, just lurking your faggot ass board. But this show, yeah you must be a huge dumb nigger not to like it. I'll describe it as a more wacky futurama. animation is good, it's funny, the science aspect is interesting and so is the drama. I fell in love with the purging episode.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.