[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.avclub.com/article/our-f avorite-ongoing-and-seri
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: A.V. Club.jpg (128 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
A.V. Club.jpg
128 KB, 960x540
http://www.avclub.com/article/our-favorite-ongoing-and-serial-comics-2015-229119

So, the A.V. Club put up a list of their favorite ongoing and serial comics yesterday. Curious what y'all think of it. (It's alphabetical, not ranked, fwiw)
>>
I clearly fucked up bad not getting that Frontier issue. Omega Men!

Solid list, no real complaints about the stuff on it. I'd add Vision and Paper Girls but I can accept the excuse of not enough issues
>>
>Fresh Romance
>Kate Leth's travesty
>Squirrel Girl
Are you fucking kidding me? Those are comics of the year? Not, oh I don't know, certain Green Lantern tie-in to Darkseid War?
>>
>>78097652
I will never understand the appeal of Power Up.
>>
Not a bad list although I am slightly surprised to see Material, Jem and Power Up on there

Really nice to see Midnighter and Omega Men
>>
didn't realize Squirrel Girl was that popular. Really shows how shit taste casuals have.
>>
>>78097693
That's not ongoing or serial, and King still gets his dues. The three you mentioned are still shite tho.
>>
>>78097693
>Not, oh I don't know, certain Green Lantern tie-in to Darkseid War?
That was a one shot, this list is ongoing books (although if I don't see that issue on best one shot lists or anything I will scream)

If Prez counts it should have been on there tho
>>
>CTRL+F "Prez"
>0 of 0 results

What's the point of AV Club if they won't acknowledge the best political satire of the year?
>>
>>78097719
It's one of Marvel's highest selling trades. It does horrible in floppies though, so yeah, USG is very much a "hated by hardcore comic readers but loved by casuals" type deal.
>>
A lot of crap on that list.

But also Ragnarok, which is awesome and unappreciated.

I'm very conflicted.
>>
>>78097652
>A.V. Club
>y'all
tumblr, leave
>>
>>78097719
popular? casuals? or how much its being pushed by the clique in control of comic media?
>>
>>78097715

I think Jem is getting a lot of credit and recognition for the art/redesigns, deserves it too
>>
>>78097757
>y'all is now a tumblr word
How 'bout you fuck off back to tumblr if you love word policing so much.
>>
>>78097741
Oh, wait, it's ongoing comics.
Whoops. My ba-
>The Fade Out
>The Humans
>The Omega Men, under the implication that the series is a twelve-issue miniseries

Never mind; my point still stands.
>>
>>78097652
Could be worse.

Other than Batgirl, Power Up, Squirrel Girl and Jem, the rest are pretty solid.
>>
>>78097772
The art is great but the rest is meh

I'd think something worthy of a Best Of list would be good for more than one aspect
>>
>>78097723
>>78097733
Right, I forget terms sometimes.
There's no Grayson, either.
>>
File: 1431137808871.jpg (181 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1431137808871.jpg
181 KB, 1280x720
>linking to the actual site
>not a pastebin
>>
http://www.avclub.com/article/our-favorite-graphic-novels-one-shots-and-archives-229423
For one-shots and such, I guess?
>>
>>78097733
>(although if I don't see that issue on best one shot lists or anything I will scream)
CA is going to ignore it because they are perpetually buttblasted about Hal Jordan's continuing existence
>>
>>78097741
It's criminal how overlooked Prez seems to be. One of the best comics I've read all year.

At least Midnighter and Omega Men are on the list for DC. Batgirl should not be on there though, one of the worst current DC books.
>>
>>78097810
http://pastebin.com/fVp65S2K
>>
>>78097819
Lemme guess, THEY WHITEWASHED GREEN LANTERN! >:(
>>
>>78097811
>Virgil
Bueno, Orlando deserves all the attention for that and Midnighter

>>78097849
They just seem extremely salty that he's still around and that John or Kyle isn't the main GL
>>
>>78097811
aka the "We recognize independent comic book works, so please accept our opinions as valid" list.
>>
>>78097849
They did. The main Green Lantern should be black and green with insect wings and able to fit in your palm.
>>
>>78097741
Prez not part of the cult.
>>
>>78097810
I love fireworks
>>
>>78097904
Bzzd and that cute little grasshopper GL are never coming back anon, I'm sorry
>>
>no Grayson series listed
>mentions the less interesting spin-off series Midnighter
It sucks that people keep overlooking the Grayson series. It really should be on more "best of" lists and in the running for awards, but people just don't like mentioning it in articles unless it is about the fanservice in it it seems.
>>
>>78097939
It still hurts anon.
>>
>Bitch Planet
Opinion discarded
>>
>>78097955
Grayson sells too well to make it on Best Of lists

Midnighter and Omega Men sell like shit so it's acceptable to praise them in public
>>
>>78097955
Nah, I find Midnighter much better than Grayson. Both are great though and Grayson should definitely be on the list instead of Batgirl.
>>
File: Morro.jpg (58 KB, 404x350) Image search: [Google]
Morro.jpg
58 KB, 404x350
>>78097904
>Bzzd
>Not hammer-wielding, dragon-owning, cryptkeeper GL
>>
>>78098004

>Grayson should definitely be on the list instead of Batgirl

I'd call them even but give it to Batgirl bc the art.
>>
>>78097928
I love Kashima
>>
>>78098021
Janin isn't that great, but I don't really get the praise for Batgirl's art either. Those smug/pouty Babs faces are really damn ugly.
>>
>>78097979
It sells about the same as Batgirl (remember Batgirl doesn't get variants anymore so it's numbers would be higher with them) and that is on these kind of lists all the time.
>>
I'm surprised by some most of Tim's picks.
>>
>>78097955
Here you go anon, Grayson is on this one

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/11/9890256/12-best-comic-books-2015

I'm pretty annoyed at the number of books on there with only one or two issues out though
>>
>>78098477
>still no Prez
Why has Godâ„¢ abandoned us?
>>
>>78098477
>Secret Wars
Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>78097955
>people who like Grayson rarely talk about anything but the fanservice
>hardly anything but fanservice is posted in the first place
>people who don't like Grayson do nothing but bitch about fanservice and ignore everything else
>those that don't care or read Grayson ask if fanservice is all it is
>the plot is too long winded and intertwined to explain to people who ask that

Maybe fanservice was a mistake
>>
>>78098520
http://sktchd.com/column/the-sktchies-the-breakouts-of-2015/

Here's a list with Prez. Pretty good list, save for Squirrel Girl.
>>
>>78097702
Its "quirky", and written by a female who is prominent on social media.
>>
>>78098646
Clearly the solution is to make beefcake fan service more commonplace so that people will appreciate Grayson for other reasons too
>>
>>78097652
>The SJW Club
Yeah, no.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.