[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What arc do you prefer /co/? Hero becomes villain, or villain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: 1449700525689.jpg (32 KB, 520x385) Image search: [Google]
1449700525689.jpg
32 KB, 520x385
What arc do you prefer /co/? Hero becomes villain, or villain becomes hero?
>>
Villain becomes hero.
>>
Easy choice.
>>
Hero becomes villain. When done right its so satisfying for a character arc and makes for a great villain to boot.
>>
>>78077124
Villain becomes Hero
Both are great tropes though
>>
Both.

In the same story.
>>
>>78077124
Depends on whether or not I'm in a whimsical mood.

For the most part I like anti-heroes who have their own moral code or competent/non-megalomaniacal villians.
>>
>>78077133

This.

Hero becomes villain is all "I am so disillusioned/ something TRAGIC happened to me! Time to become and edgy tryhard until I die or get redeemed!"

Villain becomes hero, though, is sweet.
You know that guy who has his shit together? The one that has successfully managed a secret worldwide army for decades? The one with all the doomsday machines? He has decided to start putting those skills to good use, and unlike traditional heroes he won't just wait around for some jerk to threaten the status quo before he makes a move. Ex-villains are used to being the proactive force, not the reactive one.

I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but one of my favorite books when I was younger was about a James-Bond esq superspy world with high science gadgets and doomsday devices, where you had your heroic agencies and your evil industrialists and mad scientists and so on. And then aliens invade.

It turns out that when you take the top 10 most dangerous villains, each competing for global domination, and then give them a common enemy that threats global destruction? You see some fucking magic happen. I remember them fighting over whose version of the Death Ray was superior, which was a problem because none of them did the same thing at all despite being called Death Rays.
>>
File: homer hmm.jpg (14 KB, 207x212) Image search: [Google]
homer hmm.jpg
14 KB, 207x212
>>78077124
depends on its done.
>>
>>78077124
If I had to pick from those two, it would be villain becomes hero.

I prefer that the villain temporarily teams up with the heroes to defeat a common enemy or something instead.
>>
>>78077124
Villain becomes hero and is better than the hero.
>>
Villain becomes hero

I don't really like hero becomes villain, it usually feels out of character or it's the result of a character getting shit on a lot
>>
>>78077124
Depends on which is the protagonist.
>>
>>78077304
>Hero becomes villain is all "I am so disillusioned/ something TRAGIC happened to me! Time to become and edgy tryhard until I die or get redeemed!"
You got it wrong m8. Hero becomes villain is all "This shit is sketchy but is all for the greater good I swear." Villain becomes hero is all "waah I see the error in my ways. Now that I have seen the light I'll be a normal guy til i find a dramatic enough reason to turn evil agian."
>>
>Villain becomes hero
>Protagonist is down with it at first
>Turns out that with hero plot armor on their side coupled with all of their villain resources and such as well as having something to prove to the world the former villain becomes a better hero than protagonist ever could have been
>Former hero becomes villain after realizing they're irrelevant
Would read the fuck out of this
>>
>>78077453
Yeah, this. Villain turns hero reeks of shilling and means the author is too invested in the character, usually at the expense of the other characters.

Like in >>78077203. Sugar used to write Invader Zim fanfics where Zim gets redeemed because KAWAII DESU NE~
>>
Villain becomes hero
But it has to be handled properly, not like Harley in Injustice
>>
>>78077124
Are there any examples of the hero becoming a villain and staying as one? It always seems to be temporary compared to the villain becoming the hero which tends to be permanent (and a lot of the time done because the fans like the villain).
>>
>>78077566

Harvey Dent?
>>
>>78077459
Finish the story, anon
>the fallen hero loses and dies/is locked up forever
>time passes
>reformed villain gets bored and becomes a villain again
>>
>>
>>78077124

Villain becomes hero.
When the writer puts effort in the story, even if is an editorial decision, it can be amazing.
I recently read Loki Agent of Asgard and I loved it, especially when King Loki tells to Loki what made him go evil again(the mistrust of his comrades) and adds: "Even if the God of Lies is not evil, he still the God of Lies".
That phrase reassumes why is difficult for villains becoming good and writers should remember that a redemption arc has to be hard for the villain
>>
>>78077124
Villain becomes hero. It gives me hope.
>>
>no mentions of the greatest 'villian becomes hero' plot arc in all of animation
>>
>>78077124
HawkeyexSongbird4eva
>>
>>78077580
I'm assuming he became Two-Face in his debut or was created with the intention of becoming a villain so probably not.

I can't believe I forgot Ultimate Reed Richards though.
>>
>>78077124
Villain becomes hero is only good if they have to work at it and really mean. It's stupid if everyone automatically forgives them, and it's stupid if they're still dicks just not active dicks.
>>
>>78077597
>implying it wouldn't be cyclical with the roles changing over and over as time goes on
>citizens don't know who to cheer for when one shows up
>eventually just stop caring
>the fights stop being moral issues and just become the two characters fighting out of arbitrary hatred for the other
>>
>>78077747
I'm a casual, i don't know.
>>
>>78077566
I can't think of any that weren't undone eventually
>>
>>78077799
So, elections in America?
>>
File: The_Maximal_Dinobot.jpg (69 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
The_Maximal_Dinobot.jpg
69 KB, 320x256
>>78077747
Tell my tale to those who ask.

Tell it truly, the ill deeds as well as the good.

And let me be judged accordingly.

The rest is silence.
>>
>>78077747
Prince Zuko?
>>
>>78077861
Hamletbot was kewl.
>>
>>78077566
Currently, O'Grady has achieved "villain" status, and seems unlikely to change for the time being.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.