[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tom Brevoort on the state of DC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: Brevoort.png (575 KB, 497x520) Image search: [Google]
Brevoort.png
575 KB, 497x520
Answering a fan's question as to whether he'd accept a job as DC's EiC if he thought he could put it back on track, Brevoort had this to say:

>This is a complicated question to answer, but putting aside the issues of money and geography and so forth, the biggest problem is this:

>I don’t believe any one person can right DC.

>I think that many of the problems that have bedeviled them in recent years have their roots in the institution of DC/Warners, and that’s a much more difficult to affect change upon than it might seem from the outside.

>What you’d really need is somebody like a Bill Jemas, with virtually unlimited power and a mandate to tear up as many things as are necessary without regard for human lives in order to make them work better. But especially given DC’s integration into Television and Films, I can’t see anybody being brought in with that sort of sweeping ability to make substantial changes,

>It’s an interesting thing to think about, the closest I get maybe to playing “fan fantasy football” in terms of casting books and story directions. But it’s easy to decide that you’d do whatever with Superman or Batman, and far more difficult to get those changes to happen in a world where a multi-million dollar film is about to come out featuring those characters.

>To a large degree, DC is the way it is and does business the way it does because that’s the way it wants to be, and a single high-placed person isn’t going to be enough to change that. Everybody has a boss, after all.

>http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com/post/134920722753/hey-tom-would-you-accept-a-job-as-dc-editor-in
>>
>>78076002
>But especially given DC’s integration into Television and Films, I can’t see anybody being brought in with that sort of sweeping ability to make substantial changes,

>DC's integration into Television and Films
Yes, because DC is often making sweeping changes to their comic book lineup to reflect the new status quo being made in their TV shows and movies. That's why we're getting a new fight between two of DC's most recognizable characters as a result of the upcoming film of the same name.
>>
>>78076048

I think he means that a WB person from the top who calls comic shots, unlike Marvel which has that divide.
>>
>>78076103
Then that's even worse for Marvel, because at least if there was a new Batman/Superman fight in DC's comics, then at least it would be mandated by someone higher up. With Marvel's divide, it means that the decision to make "Civil War II" came from within.

And that's no good.
>>
File: giphy.gif (408 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
408 KB, 500x345
>>78076048
That's not what he said
You're bad at interpreting peoples words
>>
>>78076143
>With Marvel's divide, it means that the decision to make "Civil War II" came from within
Yes. Obviously.

Marvel has come out and said time and again that their "synergy" isn't something being demanded by higher ups. It's something that Marvel comics is actively doing on their own. When they say "movies don't effect the comics" they're not saying that movie shit doesn't get integrated into the comics, they're saying that the movie people aren't telling the comics people what to do. The comics people are just making things more like the movies because that's what they want to do.
>>
>>78076143
What Civil War II?
>>
>>78076218
Marvel is doing a Civil War II event next year, it will be written by Bendis.
>>
>>78076242
Oy.

Does Bendis have mind control powers or something? They seem to let him do what ever the fuck he wants.
>>
>>78076271

Bendis, despite the hate, is very successful.
>>
File: Judge.jpg (42 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
Judge.jpg
42 KB, 720x576
Is Civil War 2 confirmed to be an event? For all we know, it could just be a story arc contained to Iron Man.

That might sound unlikely given how event happy Marvel is, but if it was contained to Iron Man it'd probably be a lot easier to slap together in time for the movie, given that book seems to have a pretty significant lead in terms of having issues in the can
>>
The only thing that needs to be righted about DC is their PR, as far as I can see. They're putting out some of their best stuff in years right now. I don't see why the entire thing would have to be uprooted.
>>
>>78076300
Does he mind control people to by his comics, too?

Heck, I used to like him, before he started destroying the universe.
>>
File: XAyooTQ.png (409 KB, 644x600) Image search: [Google]
XAyooTQ.png
409 KB, 644x600
>>78076302
>For all we know, it could just be a story arc contained to Iron Man

Let's not delude ourselves.

It's a tie-in to the movie, a sequel to Marvel's highest selling event ever, and synergy at all points between comic and film.

Bendis is already doing Iron Man, it's a natural progression.
>>
Jesus not even Bendis is this bitter towards DC,doesn't he knows that there are already a couple of people working on both companies?
>>
>>78076002
>putting aside the issues of money
Good goy
>>
>>78076323
He just writes things that are currently being hyped because a movie is coming out or something and coasts of his success from over a decade ago. Having the best artists under Marvel's employment and getting 5x the amount of variant covers than other writers really helps with sales too.
>>
>>78076358
Bitter? I never got that impression. Someone asked him if he could fix DC, he said it would take more than one person or one person with stupid amounts of power.
>>
>>78076323
>Does he mind control people to by his comics, too?

/co/ and tumblr are a vocal minority that don't represent the silent majority of comic book fans.

Bendis has a sterling reputation because of his early work on Ultimate Spider-Man. He gets a big announcement when he starts a new project. /co/ will usually be the first to yell "OUTRAGE" at whatever he's going on to next, but to his built-in audience it's exciting.

Jeph Loeb hasn't written a great comic in years, and he has plagiarized himself multiple times, but he still sells because Long Halloween is on every recommend list for Batman ever.
>>
>>78076358
Yes, but he only cares about his inner circle that signed contracts to stay with Marvel all the way, like Bendis.
>>
>>78076358

Brevoort doesn't sound salty at all, merely matter of fact.
>>
>>78076302
Marvel has done a big summer event ever summer since House of M over a decade ago.

Civil War 2 is happening this summer.

They've said that the last marvel summit was focused on one upcoming story that was going to tie into almost every book.

So yes, Civil War 2 is an event.
>>
So I suppose Brevoort's other suggestion to fix DC would be "actively do stupid shit to make your readership mad". That seems to be his MO at Marvel at least
>>
I don't really see why DC needs to be "fixed" except maybe when it comes to proper marketing and promotion.
>>
>>78076468
Had DC layed more heavily into that, DCYou probably would have been a success to be honest.

It would have made DC look like a bunch of fucking assholes, but it would have gotten them money.
>>
>>78076358
To add what thers have said, Brevoort has in the past said that he WANTS DC to do better, since he rightfully believes that when DC does better the entire comic market, including Marvel, does better. If DC collapses the effects would hurt Marvel a lot too
>>
But i like my books to last more then six issues before it is cancelled and renumbered
>>
>>78076468
The reverse of that would just be pandering, and I heard that /co/ doesnt like that.
>>
>>78076565
It would also likely bring down the rest of the comic book industry.
After all, I doubt people go to comic shops JUST to pick up the latest issue of "The Walking Dead" and nothing else.
>>
>>78076674
Losing either Marvel or DC would cripple the LCS market. They'd have to go full hobby stores if they haven't already. I think some comic companies might be able to survive digitally but a lot would fold soon after.
>>
>>78076807
Comics may end up going almost exclusively digital, with physical trade collections being the only regular physical output other than underground comics being sold from shopping carts and baby strollers.
>>
>>78076002
>To a large degree, DC is the way it is and does business the way it does because that’s the way it wants to be
He's 100% right. I remember when someone brought up a lack of female led books in some panel and one of the panelists replied with "we have plenty of female books, just because it's not on the view or anywhere else, doesn't mean it's not there." This is why DC is considered the less progressive company, because they suck ass at shilling their products the way Marvel does. Pic related would have been all over the place if Marvel had the same.
>>
>>78076879
>underground comics being sold from shopping carts and baby strollers.

More like etsy or whatever.
>>
>>78076508
yeah. frankly DC's problem is external. there are people and companies that profit from shitting on and muckraking DC.
>>
>>78076967
That too. I just like the mental image of somebody selling comics from a baby stroller. Apparently that's how R. Crumb did it back in the 60s.
>>
>>78077006
Yep, its in to shit on DC when if it wasnt for DC most of the shit Marveldrones love wouldnt be here without them.
DC just needs to promote more but if they do then theyll have to pander.
>>
>>78076405
I think you just described the necessary steps to sell a comic. Not one writer can just sell books based on his name alone. If you put the best selling writer ever along with Squirrel Girl tier Erica Henderson and no promotion, don't expect it to sell big numbers.
>>
>>78077342
As an example of this they put Geoff Johns name on Vibe and the first issue debuted at 27k
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.