[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'The Last Unicorn' creator sues business manager C
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: king-haggard.jpg (146 KB, 1024x553) Image search: [Google]
king-haggard.jpg
146 KB, 1024x553
'The Last Unicorn' creator sues business manager Connor Cochran for fraud and elder abuse

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/10/peter-s-beagle-sues-connor-cochran-alleging-elder-fraud-family-respond-and-cochran-to-file-counterclaim/
http://www.locusmag.com/News/2015/12/beagle-vs-cochran/

tl;dr of it is

>Peter S. Beagle is suing Connor Cochran for alleged fraud and elder abuse
>alleges that Cochran tricked Beagle into handing over the rights for his work
>alleges that Cochran has forced Beagle into overworking, including a 'punishing tour schedule' without breaks or even booking hotel rooms
>alleges that Cochran has defamed Beagle by implying he is mentally incompetant, which includes Cochran's claims that he is the 'real author' of some of Beagle's works that he was mentally unable to finish and that Beagle has 'memory problems'
>alleges that Cochran cancelled the Last Unicorn film tour because he found out Beagle was looking into legal action
>>
Holy shit. Will Beagle ever get a break?
>>
>>78075622
Not if his business manager has anything to say about it!
>>
File: 32423.png (872 KB, 1120x714) Image search: [Google]
32423.png
872 KB, 1120x714
bump
>>
Isn't mental instability and memory problems something of a requirement for "elder abuse?"
>>
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/10/peter-s-beagle-sues-connor-cochran-alleging-elder-fraud-family-respond-and-cochran-to-file-counterclaim/

>Peter S Beagle’s lawyer Kathleen Hunt contacted Bleeding Cool to tell us that Beagle has now sued Connor Cochran, alleging fraud and elder abuse. The allegations include that Cochran tricked Beagle into handing over rights to his work, has been overworked, has been defamed over his mental competence, and has withheld income keeping him in poverty. >Specifically, the creation of a sham corporation to take a controlling share of Beagle’s intellectual rights away from him, which was then mismanaged, exposing Beagle to tax legislation he was unaware of. Arranging a punishing touring schedule without breaks, without hotel rooms after appearances, forcing Beagle to rely on the hospitality of fans.

>withholding income
>forcing him to rely on fans

Oh man. Poor dude. His children are seeing to take over his medical and legal decisions as well.
>>
>>78076144
Not at all. I've worked with old people all my life and let me tell you, even when they are 100% mentally there they still get the shit end of the stick because they're 'old'. I had to quit that and volunteering because I couldn't take some of the shit I've seen anymore.
>>
>>78076230
>Not at all. I've worked with old people all my life and let me tell you, even when they are 100% mentally there they still get the shit end of the stick because they're 'old'

I know that.

>1988
>Metallica have an off night when James has had too many drinks and flubs the intro to MOP

"Man that was some wild concert. I actually like the fucked-up intro better. He needs to go onstage drunk more often."

>2015
>James plays one lick in For Whom The Bell Tolls incorrectly

"OH NO THIS IS TERRIBLE THEY DON'T HAVE IT ANYMORE. THEY'RE ALL WASHED UP."
>>
Cochran's also released his own statement but honestly, comparing Beagle's lawyers statement with things I've noticed over the past 10 years, it seems to add up.

Beagle was having to stay with fans on the tour. Cochran always framed it as something Peter wanted to do the few times he said something about it, but wouldn't you want to stay in a hotel and not with randoms obsessed with your book/movie? If you look at the tour schedule, there were hardly any breaks, and Beagle was supposed to be present at every single screening in every city, staying for several hours each time to do talks, sign things, take pictures, etc. That's a lot for anyone, especially someone who's older and never done this type of tour before.

Cochran constantly released "news" about upcoming "Last Unicorn" projects Beagle was supposed to be doing or involved in, which hardly ever got off the ground. There are still books and CDs and other things purchased from years ago that are nowhere to be found.

I haven't seen where Cochran claimed he wrote some of Beagle's things, but considering how much he involves himself in the few things that have been published, I wouldn't be totally shocked.
>>
>>78076466
They're in their 50s, dude. That's not exactly elderly.
>>
>>78076595
It is in rock star years.
>>
File: Sad_frog.jpg (87 KB, 631x800) Image search: [Google]
Sad_frog.jpg
87 KB, 631x800
>>78076518
I feel like shit now.

Just a few days back, I bought myself the "Lost version" of TLU because it said on Facebook Peter needed the money to move to a new apartment.

First Bashski studios ruined his creative career, now he looses even his life work...

How can a series of corporate scams ruin a beautiful mind's life such as Peter fucking Beagle?
>>
>>78076144
>Isn't mental instability and memory problems something of a requirement for "elder abuse?"

Not really. But people often frame elderly people as having mental problems in order to get away with elder abuse.
>>
>>78076650
I hope Cochran is smart enough to actually give that money to Beagle and document it, since more eyes are on him now.
>>
'S why I don't want to live past 70. Even if you're Jack Lalanne level of /fit/, people still have preprogrammed stereotypes about you.
>>
>elder abuse

I already heard that shit this year about Mickey Rooney. Really rage-inducing stuff.
>>
>>78076757
>be allegedly abused by caretakers
>so he flies to Washington DC and testifies before Congress on elder abuse

Now that's badass.
>>
>>78076725
He has too. It was official on social media, otherwise everyone turns REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>78076650
is the lost version any good?
>>
Fuck. I really wanted to go to one of the tour spots and I was planning to if/when it ever came back, but not if it's not something Beagle even approves of.
>>
>>78076181
Imagine meeting the author of one of your favorite books after a signing and asking him what he's doing next that day and he says "finding a place to sleep. hopefully someone here will let me crash at their place." That's so depressing.
>>
>>78076754
I remember my mom telling me through my childhood that she never wanted to get old and just wasn't going to do it. It still managed to catch us all really off guard when she an heroed.
>>
>>78077573
I haven't read it yet. I am just a huge TLU nerd, I was planning to read it in my lonely trip to Norway. Haggard style NEET
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.