[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Harley Quinn from Harley Quinn (2013 - ) the same Harley
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Is the Harley Quinn from Harley Quinn (2013 - ) the same Harley Quinn from New Suicide Squad (2014 - )?
If so, why is she so different (cuddly and sweet in HQ, crazy maniac in NSQ)?
If not, who are they? Two version of Harley from two different Earths? And how could I tell?
>>
story > continuity
>>
>>78073188
what does this even mean?
>>
>>78073196
Read all of the harley quinns in comics for the last 10 or so years.
Find all of the common traits and themes.
Write them down in a little notebook.

All of those common traits, themes, and stories they keep going back to is the real comic version of harley quinn.
Whatever story they put her in today is only a temporary thing until it's forced for at least a decade or becomes really popular.

BUT because comic harley is both unknown to the public and not given a fuck about...you should just stick to the original version of her from the pre WB move BTAS and Arkham. Those are the most famous and they inform the casual majority of who she is
>>
>>78073238
Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it but how does that answer my original question
>>
>>78073255
I mean for example the Deadpool of Deadpool (2015 - ) and Uncanny Avengers (2015 - ) are the same Deadpool. It's clear. I can't say the same for Harley.
>>
>>78073273
They are the same person.
Characters appear different when written by different people.

I told you to do all of that stuff because I thought you wanted a handle on who the character is in the eyes of the writers and comic readers in general.
But it seem you just wanted a straight forward answer.
>>
>>78073319
>Characters appear different when written by different people.
So it's the same Earth, ok? Ok but do the facts from Harley Quinn (2013 - ) happen at the same time of New Suicide Squad (2014 - )? Or does one of the two happens earlier? If so, which one? Maybe that's an explanation why Harley acts so different.
>>
>>78073342
She acts differently because the characters don't have a 100% set in stone characterization so the writers do whatever they want with them but only if they don't go outside of ther loosely defined character.
And that loosely defined character is 100% defined by every single story and every single thing that has sold well and is well known about the character in the mainstream.

You can't define a character by a single story in comics if that single story runs counter to a large majority of the other stories. It's just how modern comics are.

That version of harley that you like might be completely wrong or a one off simply because she's not like that in the majority of stories made for the character and vice versa. +
>>
>>78073427
Ok but still something must have happened to change her behaviour like that... STORY-WISE.
If it's just a matter of how the writer fells that morning... comics lose all of their meaning.
>be hired by DC
>assigned to Harley Quinn
>write a right-winged, 55yo Harley
would that be okay just because she wears a red and blue costume and has a big hammer?
>>
It's the nature of a large shared universe dude. Don't question it or they become unreadable.
Some books reference others. Some writers don't give a shit and do what they want until they're fired. As long as both HQ and SS sell within okay margins then nothing is changing anytime soon.
>>
>>78073511
Okay, they won't give a reason for her changing because there is no actual in story reason.

They honestly only create those differing versions of the character to test out new directions for the harley quinn character and keep their ip fresh.

There is no other reason beyond that. As for the right winged 55 yo harley that still has the red and blue costume and big hammer? YEah that would be okay as long as it's a self contained elsworlds or easily handwiaved thing and they explain it or play it up as a funny joke.
If it's the "mainline" harley then no, that is not going to fly.
There is a set yet very loose "harley quinn" character that has to be adhered too or all hell will break loose.
This is why I told you to read a lot of harley qinn comics and apperances. So you'll get an accurate depiction of who the character is across all stories and comics.

Let, me let you in on something.
A single story does not define a comic character unless that character adheres to that story and change for YEARS. So a one off story here or there means fuck all.

It might as well be fanfiction written by a nobody unless it's enforced and adhered to for years by the editors and other writers.
Meaning that your version of harley might be tossed out tomorror.
>>
>>78073655
comics truly are the worst media to tell a story
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.