[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I love Captain Marvel but I'm torn between two different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: Captain_Marvel_DC_h2.jpg (54 KB, 600x422) Image search: [Google]
Captain_Marvel_DC_h2.jpg
54 KB, 600x422
I love Captain Marvel but I'm torn between two different interpretations of his character

1. The one where he has the Wisdom of Solomon and becomes very wise and smart when Billy changes into him because the idea of the child's innocent mind plus the wisdom of an adult turning someone into a moral paragon and force of good is really nice and also I think it's better when a hero like this is not stupid.

2. When he turns into Captain Marvel but is basically still just naive Billy trying to do superhero things with his child mind because having a character who can examine a child's notion of what it is to be a hero has potential for a lot of great stories.

What are your favourite Captain stories /co/ do they follow 1 or 2 I think there's lots of value in both I'm actually not torn between them at all they both have a place they're like silly Batman and serious Batman.
>>
Wisdom isn't intelligence
>>
>>78069731
It actually is. It's the application of knowledge and in Captain Marvel comics in particular Solomon's wisdom is also knowledge.
>>
>>78069651
I always interpreted the wisdom of solomon as a sort of unfaltering conscience, that Billy still only had the intellect of a child but never fell into temptation and always made the morally "right" choice in situations where a child might not actually not which one is better.
>>
>>78069651
I always liked Captain Marvel still being Billy, but the Wisdom of Solomon is like his personal conscience that gives him insight on a situation. I like the Monster Society of Evil portrayal along with the New 52 Billy. Yeah he may act like a douche, but like Billy told the wizard. He wont find anyone that is completely good person doesn't exist, but Billy's actions are for the most part good.
>>
I remember in the first thunder crossover with superman Billy told supes that the wisdom of Solomon was basically knowledge of magic and magical creatures, like when Billy inmidiatly explains how the malus trolls attacks yet he had never seen one before or how he perceived Sabbach worked under a magic word too.
>>
>>78069651
i think 1 is better because its billy at his full potential
>favorite cap stories
captain marvel vs spy smasher, the curse of shazam or the monster society of evil.being a cap/shazam fan is fucking suffering man so i have high hopes for the movie.
>>
File: captain marvel vs spy smasher.jpg (124 KB, 500x456) Image search: [Google]
captain marvel vs spy smasher.jpg
124 KB, 500x456
>>78074152
forgot pic
>>
>>78074152
>i think 1 is better because its billy at his full potential
I feel like this comment is a form of power-level wank. Who cares about full potential? Why is that automatically better? This is like when Batfags don't like Batman if he's not absolutely 100% Batgod. Is it some form of power fantasy for neckbeards? I think having a 12-year-old with the powers of the gods is a million times more interesting than yet another superhero with the same fucking knowledge and temperament as everyone else. It's throwing one of DC's more interesting hero personas right out the window.

I like when he's a naive kid, but part of the interest I have in the character is seeing the mentality of a kid as he accepts his powers and responsibilities. I absolutely loved the Nu52 Darkseid War one-shot. We got to see that, even without access to the Wisdom of Solomon, Billy had still learned enough about his powers and how they work to be confident enough to shit-talk Darkseid's dad.
>>
File: captain marvel in a nutshell.jpg (437 KB, 880x1035) Image search: [Google]
captain marvel in a nutshell.jpg
437 KB, 880x1035
>>78074313
>I feel like this comment is a form of power-level wank
no because it shows how will billy act when he'll be full on mature im not talking power-wise.sure new 52 billy with powers is cool but i like to see the difference between the two.also i prefer my batman as a detective with higher budget
>>
>>78074796
>no because it shows how will billy act when he'll be full on mature
Except that it's NOT Billy. In those older incarnations, Captain Marvel is a completely different persona.
>>
I prefer 2 since it makes him more unique and leads to the cuter stories that I prefer, but 1 isn't bad
>>
>>78074152
>>78074183
How? Spy Smasher stories are so stupid, that one panel basically sums up the whole crossover because it's laughable that Spy Smasher is brainwashed and can't pose a threat to Cap when he's the real boss superhero
>>
>>78074183
>Caption just says what's happening in the panel

Are these comics for the blind?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.