[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Boys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: The-Boys_Volume_One.jpg (51 KB, 300x465) Image search: [Google]
The-Boys_Volume_One.jpg
51 KB, 300x465
So what does /co/ think about the boys?
>>
I think it was good. Far from perfect, but still really good.

The main problem is that it's way too heavy-handed and one-sided, but then hey this is Ennis, what the fuck did you expect? The man wouldn't know the words subtle or nuanced if you gave him a dictionary. Apart from that it's a cool story with some parts that are great and some part that are decidedly less great, with a solid cast of characters and equally solid story arcs that leads up to a somewhat anticlimactic but still satisfying ending.
>>
>>78052003
I enjoyed it.
You should give it a shot, you might like it.
If not, that's cool too.
>>
ah want mah dickie sucked
>>
I loved it, I can't look at cape comics the same way after reading it.
Also the big twist at the end was awesome.
>>
>>78052157
I thought the tonal whiplash was pretty crazy.

Like, it goes from silly gross out action comedy to grim political thriller with so much frequency that it weirds me out. Not necessarily a bad thing but like... WEIRD
>>
>>78052003
Garth Ennis becomes a parody of himself. Just a cribbing of the worst parts of Marshall Law. Read that instead.

It's funny how his best work has all been within Marvel/DC continuity, too.
>>
I liked it. Some parts could've been improved. Some arcs shortened a bit. But overall it was a good series. As usual with Ennis, it made me laugh out loud, made me cringe, gave me some major feels too.
>>
>>78052308
Yeah but some parts would just... fail to click, if you know what I mean.

Like the whole secret superhero orgy island thing.

It's just like, yeah we get it. Can we move on now?
>>
Note that the side series(Herogasm, Butcher Baker Candkestickmaker) are essential. Herogasm is a main story arc that war made a side series for some unfathomable reason, and BBC is easily the best story arc.
>>
>>78052355

That one was weird. Felt like a self-contained mini which made fun of the yearly company crossovers, but also provided a HUGE development for the main plot.

>>78052414
BBC was GOAT, yes. And on hindsight it's kinda weird that the reason we never saw Mallory's face throughout the first half or so of the series was so that his reveal in Hugie's mini was a surprise.
>>
It's good. I've been thinking of getting the omnibus after christmas if the price is right.
>>
>>78052322
He really does parody himself.
"Reverend Swear" anyone?
Also, the fact that the main heroes become the villains at the end is also a self-deprecation.
>>
>>78053617
>Also, the fact that the main heroes become the villains at the end is also a self-deprecation.
This.
There is a lot of self-awareness in this book that goes unappreciated because muh edgy ennis lol.
And yeah, The Boys is an apex Ennis, but it also means all the things Ennis excels at, this book has it in spades.
>>
Fuck Ennis and his Northern Irish bullshit.

That being said, this is a great idea for a series that was botched by the fact that Ennis can't be subtle and will always go straight for the gross.

Excellent parts (exploring how the military-industrial complex would develop superheroes is genius) but like Preacher ruined by the fact that Ennis has no restraint.
>>
Needed more Gum Chum.
>>
>>78053974
>self-awareness
Being self-aware of the fact that your writing is often petulant and gratuitous, then not doing anything about it, is not a good thing.

I'd care a lot less if the "satire" was applied to something worth discussing, instead of just the same super hero bashing he's always done. Only this time it's cranked up to eleven.
>>
It was meh, I never finished it. Too much edge for me.
>>
>>78054124
I kept hoping it would get better, and then it was over.
>>
>>78052003
It's Ennis at his best (poking mean-spirited fun at institutions, narrative conventions, and the comics business) and at his worst (running the same old tired themes and ideas into the ground).

If only for that, I do think it's one of the essential Ennis reads for anyone who wants to get into his bibliography.

Those who aren't willing to invest the time reading through the entire series would probably be better off reading Ennis' The Pro: It tackles maybe 80% of the main ideas Ennis covers in The Boys, but in a significantly more succinct one-shot format.
>>
File: page_10.jpg (166 KB, 581x872) Image search: [Google]
page_10.jpg
166 KB, 581x872
>>
Twist with Homelander was awesome, poor fool.
Herogasm sucked dicks.
>>
>>78054945
I DID THINGS
Agreed 100%.
>>
I enjoyed it like I do with most of Ennis' work.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.