[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christoper Priest on Daredevil/Batman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: priest.jpg (21 KB, 264x179) Image search: [Google]
priest.jpg
21 KB, 264x179
I listened to an interview some time back where Christopher Priest explained how he first came to work on Black Panther. Apparently when Quesada (?) contacted him to write a book for Marvel Knights, he mistakenly believed he was being put on Daredevil and got super-excited and wrote down a bunch of notes and ideas for the run. Obviously nothing came of it.

But why the hell hasn't he written Daredevil since then? I would kill to have Priest write Daredevil, and you think Marvel would as well, for a plethora of reasons. As far as I know there haven't been any bridges burned there.

In the same interview, Priest mentioned that one character he would drop everything and come running to write would be Batman, which would be great.

Is there any way we could petition for Priest to be on Daredevil or Batman?
>>
I'd rather have him write for Daredevil than for that piece of shit Batman.
>>
I don't think Priest wants to write comic books anymore.

Although he's doing something for the Milestone relaunch or so I heard.

I'm assuming he hasn't written Daredevil since Marvel had Bendis and Brubaker writing after that and they outrank Priest in fame and status; the company's a business after all and Priest's BP run was perpetually at risk of cancellation.
>>
>>78051859
You might have to get /co/ and tumblr to unite on this matter, mate.
>>
>>78051901
Really? The trades were in my goddamn high school library.
>>
>>78051954
Don't know what the numbers were but Priest did some interviews with Newsarama where he said BP's sales were low enough that only Quesadilla's support saved the book from cancellation.
>>
Marvel doesn't want black writers on white books (and vice versa), they want them on black books.
>>
>>78051901
>I don't think Priest wants to write comic books anymore.
I know he did a little work on Quantum and Woody, and I think something for Deadpool a couple years ago. Which isn't much, admittedly.
>>78051917
I can't see any problems arising from this.
>>
>>78051983
That's really racist.
>>
How do you not just give him a Batman: The Dark Knight book or something to just tell stories. Find a good artist to collaborate with.

I mean, If David Finch can get one!
>>
>>78051954
>>78051980
If Marvel was smart, they would invest in books that they could resell as trades for decades to come. I swear that Vertigo and Watchmen reprints are the only reason DC stays in business. I could be totally off base though.
>>
>>78051954
Can't remember the sales figures but it sounds reasonable. Hudlin's run wasn't much better off, but I don't think they were Moon Knight bad on either run.

>>78051917
>being this /b/itter

>>78051901
He's literally working in another field (he's an ordained Baptist minister), but he seems to be writing prose instead these days. Between the two I'd be surprised if he has a great deal of time to do comic books as well.
>>
>>78052051
Nah, Batman trades too. DC still sells Hush and TDKR like crazy.
>>
>>78052051
DC was run for a long time as a tax writeoff; it didn't matter if it made money, because the rest of the group could "invest" in it by inter-company loans at preferential interest rates and count those against their tax liabilities at home and abroad. All DC had to do was not make a big profit or go completely bankrupt, and the money would stay in the group (because the terms of those loans would mean they would have to be paid back, eventually - which would be done by taking out another loan from another company in the group; all of the loans would nominally be against something of value possessed by DC, like its buildings or particularly valuable IPs).

It's one of the most basic tax structure deals large company groups engage in.
>>
>>78052089
>but he seems to be writing prose instead these days

By what pen name?
>>
>>78051901
>I don't think Priest wants to write comic books anymore.

This. He became disillusioned from a combination of being paired with bad artists and never being offered the big characters. His site is a depressing series of essays about his time in comics, from his start as an editor up to Cap/Falcon.

That was the book that really seemed to break him. He was hyped at first to be working on one of the big characters in Cap. This was when the main Cap book was part of Marvel Knights, so this book was suppose to be Cap's adventures in the rest of the Marvel Universe. But before long they started gearing up for the Brubaker relaunch, Priest's stories got shortened and altered to compensate, and the book was cancelled. They offered to let him continue the story in a Falcon solo book, but he had no interest in writing yet another black character.

He'll still come back if there's something of interest (Milestone, Deadpool, and Quantum & Woody are the only things as of late I think), but otherwise he's done.
>>
>>78051859
Priest went full Moore after years of having his books scerwed over and only beeing offered c list black guys.

This nigga was in charge of SPIDERMAN right out of College
>>
>>78052191
sauce cuz that sounds insane
>>
>>78052018
yup
>>
>>78052704
I wouldn't call it full Moore, he doesn't hate Superheroes, he just hates that editorial only gave him black characters.
Moore's pissy he signed a bad contract, Priest's entire career was hindered by his race. A little different.
>>
>>78052801
I meant in that he left the industry because they fucked him over, not any cape hating shit
>>
>>78052051
From what I've heard, the industry got more revenue from trades than issues, until the New 52, when issues became hot.

Even Marvel got a bit of a boost from DC's reboot, probably because it was at least bringing people back into the comic book store (lapsed fans, though; the reboot didn't bring in a lot of comics virgins... not THAT kind of comics virgins, which is most of us).

I have no idea if the situation is the same today, though.
>>
>>78052246
James Priest
>>
>>78052907
*Judas Priest
>>
>>78051983
That's the way it should be honestly. Even though I've never read anything from Priest, what I understand is he's not so bad when it comes to ham-fisted MUH BLACKNESS bullshit. But I'd rather any degree of that garbage be relegated to lesser (black) characters than show up in books like Batman.
>>
>>78053288
So because a writer is an ethnicity they can't write for a character of a different ethnicity? Are you saying that by virtue of being black a writer will fill their book with Muh Black?
>>
>>78052010

Marvel had him write a segment of the Deadpool wedding special. The gesture failed to win him back, and in fact soured him even further on comics.

>A line was cut from my contribution to the recent Deadpool marriage issue because Marvel was concerned black readers might be offended. I assured them black fans would not be offended by the line, but I was overruled. Which troubled me because I was an actual black person assuring them black people really aren’t as thin skinned as they (or the corporate hedgehog above Marvel editorial) may think.

>Black people have a sense of humor. Deadpool, the character, busts on everybody. It was a violation of his character for him to start pulling his punches just because he was talking to a black person.

>Marvel and DC should stop being afraid of letters, afraid of email. The incident struck me as a little silly, that Marvel wasn’t so worried about their black fans as they were perhaps worried about offending the sensibilities of their white fans

>This is what I mean by a creatively compromised environment. This wouldn’t happen at, say, Milestone. They’d say either the line was funny or it wasn’t, Either ‘Pool was in character or out of character, and that would be the only criteria they would use. Larry Hama, my mentor, taught me that humor involves risk. There was rarely an issue of Crazy Magazine we published without being convinced we would be fired for it. Everybody, of every ethnicity, was fair game.
>>
>>78052270
>His site is a depressing series of essays about his time in comics

Man the stories about when he first started working at Marvel and was clearly treated as a token hire are bad. People would rub his head for good luck
>>
>>78054181
I remember that, but I don't remember what the cut line was, anyone know?
>>
>>78052962
I was speaking literallyl:

http://www.amazon.com/James-Priest/e/B00QL1N92I
>>
>>78053512
Yes.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.