[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
let's talk The Last Unicorn, /co/. Is it a good adaptation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 15
File: 91o72PJ0ZUL._SL1500_.jpg (288 KB, 1500x998) Image search: [Google]
91o72PJ0ZUL._SL1500_.jpg
288 KB, 1500x998
let's talk The Last Unicorn, /co/.

Is it a good adaptation of the book? Are there parts of the book the film should have included or excluded?
>>
>>78044352
It's a very good and faithful adaptation of the book, but I felt that it lost something by leaving out Schmendrick's backstory and the tale of the male unicorn that got turned into a human. Those parts really explored the mindsets and personalities of Schmendrick and the Unicorn very well, IMO.
>>
File: butterfly.jpg (310 KB, 939x504) Image search: [Google]
butterfly.jpg
310 KB, 939x504
>>78044352
I was high when I first saw this movie a couple months ago, and at the time I was completely perplexed by how bizarre and out of place this fucking butterfly was.
>>
>>78044352
I want to fuck that unicorn!
>>
File: mollyunicornsm.jpg (958 KB, 1243x752) Image search: [Google]
mollyunicornsm.jpg
958 KB, 1243x752
>Are there parts of the book the film should have included or excluded?

I feel like nothing was excluded that made the film terrible or incomplete. Schmendrick's backstory, the curse, the story of the other unicorn being turned human, etc, being gone didn't make the film less enjoyable. But if you read the book, you would probably miss them.

God, I hope a live action film gets off the ground. I know they have some stage show in the works but it sounds bizarre ('cirque de soleil arena immersive massive tent show' sort of bizarre) and I feel like a proper fantasy film would be able to include the missing elements from the book with no problem.
>>
>>78044352
I like the drawings done by Hidemi Kubo, specially the one of the Red Bull.
>>
I do hope this thread goes as smoothly and as comfiest as the last one we had without dwelving into +50 shitposts about muh yiff in hell and amalthea r34

actually the latter would be most welcome in small doses come to think of it
>>
File: xfxjfdygis_m.jpg (58 KB, 529x386) Image search: [Google]
xfxjfdygis_m.jpg
58 KB, 529x386
posting some concept art. Shame there isn't a lot of production material available for this film.
>>
File: umnpumcjoq_m.jpg (68 KB, 530x384) Image search: [Google]
umnpumcjoq_m.jpg
68 KB, 530x384
>>
File: hgiudmniuu_m.jpg (63 KB, 530x378) Image search: [Google]
hgiudmniuu_m.jpg
63 KB, 530x378
>>
File: hfhdembnjp_m.jpg (85 KB, 530x383) Image search: [Google]
hfhdembnjp_m.jpg
85 KB, 530x383
>>
>>78044595
The thought of any remake worries me, honestly. The animated movie had a sort of tone to it that I don't know how to describe and it'd be a damn shame for it to be remade into something that favors flare and action. They would also most likely heavily focus on King Haggard being a tyrannical ruler rather than an old, miserable, tired sack of shit king.

>>78044700
>>78044721
As much as I like the movie's design(so simple yet so pretty), this design is also gorgeous.
>>
>>
>>78044352
What would you have done to make the story better.
>>
File: enbuphxamw_m.jpg (50 KB, 530x380) Image search: [Google]
enbuphxamw_m.jpg
50 KB, 530x380
>>
File: 1427416791451.jpg (218 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
1427416791451.jpg
218 KB, 894x894
>>
>>78044481
He looks like George R.R. Martin.
>>
File: bhtkzimahx_m.jpg (53 KB, 529x376) Image search: [Google]
bhtkzimahx_m.jpg
53 KB, 529x376
>>
>>78044806
Keep the unicorn human, in order to revive and bring back the unicorns she must remain human.
>>
>>78044806
>>78044806
\The only thing that didn't quite work for me is that, due to the nature of the film, you won't get as good a grasp on the character of the unicorn in the film as you do in the book. The book does a better job of explaining unicorns in general, how they feel and live, and you get a stronger sense of the unicorn's personality, increasing weariness, etc.

They tried as best they could (Man's Road is actually a pretty good song for how the unicorn feels at being out in the world and around humans) but...
>>
>>
The movie is a fucking mess, but it's a glorious one. Goddamn pacing problems out the ass.
>>
>>78044806
Harpy kills Schmendrick & co, thanks the unicorn for saving her, and the two go on a crazy immortal creature adventure together to kill the Red Bull
>>
File: lastunicornkubo.jpg (55 KB, 764x450) Image search: [Google]
lastunicornkubo.jpg
55 KB, 764x450
>>
>"How dare you! How dare you come to me now, when I am this!"
>she never stopped believing

Even as a kid that shit hit me right in the gut.
>>
>>78044700
>>78044721
yeah I can kinda see the reason behind the change in design clearly, she looked almost cervine in these
>>
>>78045020
To be fair, that's probably closer to the book description than the final design.

>She did not look anything like a horned horse, as unicorns are often pictured, being smaller and cloven-hoofed, and possessing that oldest, wildest grace that horses never had, that deer have only in a shy, thin imitation and goats in dancing mockery. Her neck was long and slender, making her head seem smaller than it was, and the mane that fell almost to the middle of her back was as soft as dandelion fluff and fine as cirrus. She had pointed ears and thin legs, with feathers of white hair at the ankles; and the long horn above her eyes shone and shivered with its own seashell light even in the deepest midnight.
>>
>you'll never ride a unicorn
>>
File: LastUnicorn-01-05_06.jpg (249 KB, 1048x756) Image search: [Google]
LastUnicorn-01-05_06.jpg
249 KB, 1048x756
>>78045133
dropped my pic
>>
Can't wait for my Blu-ray copy to arrive. My thanks goes to /co/ for letting me know awhile back it was finally out (I pretty much gave up on an unedited hi-def version ever releasing).

>>78044843

That's fucking amazing!
>>
>almost xmas
>they show it every year at xmas on tv
>have seen it every year for the last 20 years or so

Kinda tradition at this point.
>>
This and the R&B Hobbit movie are what started my love of fantasy and my life long passion or reading.
>>
File: FortressCherryh.jpg (191 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
FortressCherryh.jpg
191 KB, 500x333
>>78049119
Give this a whirl.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.