[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Flash and DC's Silver Age of Live Action
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10
File: I started it... again!.png (352 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
I started it... again!.png
352 KB, 600x400
Seeing J’onn tonight basically made me realize something. In a supreme display of POETRY, has the Flash once again ushered the Silver Age, this time for DC’s live action properties?

Prior to the Flash, DC focused on darker, grounded, Nolan-inspired work including:
>The Dark Knight trilogy
>Watchmen
>Man of Steel
>Arrow
>Gotham

After the Flash, DC has:
>The Flash – superpowers, time travel, multiple dimensions, Grodd, King Shark, etc.
>Arrow – Lazarus Pits, etc.
>Vixen – magical talismans, etc.
>Legends of Tomorrow – everything
>Supergirl – superpowers, Red Tornado, Martian Manhunter, etc.
>Gotham – crazier season 2, including the Order of St. Dumas, Barbara and the Arkham inmates, etc.
>BvS – going by the last trailer it feels really big and has a few more moments of levity, costumes are pretty comic accurate, Wonder Woman supposedly a demigod, etc.
>SS – real magic, etc.

Ever since the Flash debuted, all of DC’s live action properties have seemingly really embraced the crazier, larger-than-life, gods-walk-among-us style that DC’s comics have that separates itself from other comic universes. It seems like we’re finally starting to see the real fruits of Geoff Johns as CCO and DC’s greater involvement in their live action properties after they started planning on moving closer to WB late in 2013. And as someone who actually like’s DC’s style, that’s really fucking cool.
>>
File: MUH FLASH HYPE.jpg (466 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
MUH FLASH HYPE.jpg
466 KB, 2560x1600
>>78018208
Arrow didn't at first, but began to change as a result of Flash.

I personally think it's a phase we've entered as a society. Riding in on the coattails of "wow those Avengers guys are cool!" when they used to be nothing but B-listers about a decade ago.

But for now, enjoy the live action capeshit - and try not to shitpost about it.

The live threads are the one and ONLY thing which truly brings /co/ together, like we're some giant-ass dysfunctional and racist family.

We are :'), and nothing will change that - especially the racist part. :'(
>>
I just think it's funny that they needed to relearn that people like levity and goofy shit.
With all the material from the comics, the fact that CW/WB has to rediscover what does and doesn't work for a large scale product is pretty funny.
>>
truly pottery
>>
A market where everything was as grim as it was, was bound to hit a point where self-aware levity appeared.

Flash is the reaction to the "tacticool" X-Men outfits, the Nolan trilogy and our weird decision to have a Blade trilogy before a Spider-Man one.

I wish the same would happen to the comic book medium and we'd enter a new Silver age. Alas, comic book readers are apparently shittier than normies.
>>
File: Billy Dude.jpg (33 KB, 350x523) Image search: [Google]
Billy Dude.jpg
33 KB, 350x523
>>78018418
Again, I think it translates better onto TV. TV always felt like the "comfier" place to flesh out comic book elements.

It's the idea that adaptations can be "fun" due to CGI and other advancements in Technology.

If CGI, etc. existed as well as it does now - back in the 70s then things would've turned out different.

>Linda Carter Wonder Woman with great practicalcgi effects
>Adam West Batman with the same
>That live action Shazam Show (Pic Related)

You get the point. It's a chance combination of the right factors which made people like Classic Comics shit again - not some innate desire for realism.

Hopefully now I can get my "League of Black Men" Starring Shaquile O' Neil as Steel
_________ as Black Lightning
_________ as Mister Terrific
_________ as Static
etc.
>>
>>78018489
Everything works in cycles.
I'm anxiously awaiting for the noodle arm cartoons to die out to the hyper stylized action cartoons of the future.
>>
>>78018489
>A market where everything was as grim as it was, was bound to hit a point where self-aware levity appeared.
Thing about DC's current stuff is that it's not entirely self-aware in the way Marvel is where they poke fun at themselves with constant jokes because they and the audience knows it's a comic movie. DC's style is much more comic-accurate, where the characters are treating pretty goofy, crazy shit like psychic gorillas and shark men fairly seriously and it's rather entertaining because of that.
>>
>>78018640
Maybe I didn't express myself right. By self-aware I meant "Yeah we're a comic book TV show, let's just go nuts with this".

I said levity to avoid saying comedy, trying to avoid the interpretation you gave it but maybe that wasn't enough. Still, my point is like yours. It's not poking fun, it's knowing what they are and deciding it to use it to their advantage.
>>
Marvel did it first
>>
>>78018767
Didn't Sony do it first with Spider-Man?
It always seemed like the first real comic book movie.
>>
>>78018767
No they didn't. Just because they have comedy in their films doesn't mean they "embraced" the comic book nature of the characters.

Iron Man 1, Captain America 1 and The Hulk all seem ashamed to be superhero films and hence, when the actual superheroing starts in the second half of the film, they start falling apart.
>>
>>78018767
>1977 poster for blockbuster movie of the following year:
>"You'll believe a man can fly."
>>
>>78018906
>ashamed to be superhero films
Eh?
>>
>>78018906
>Cap 1
>ashamed to be a superhero film
>has a dude with a red face and a magic cube that powers zany Nazi tech
>>
>>78018640
>crazy shit like psychic gorillas and shark men fairly seriously and it's rather entertaining because of that.
Black Dad and best Patty both quipped when those characters showed up though.
>>
>>78018816
>Original Richard Donner Superman
>Or, barring that if you think it needs the punches, Superman 2.
>Not the first real comic book movie

In what possible sense can you mean that?
>>
>>78019087
I meant in terms of modern movies.
The old Superman movies were certainly ahead of their time, though.
>>
Aww they wasted Jonn on Supergirl. Was he done like shit?
>>
>>78019047
>Dude with red face has it hidden 99% of the movie
>Magic cube then proven to be science-based
>>
>>78019159
>99%
Wrong, and yeah god forbid they build up to a cool reveal
>science
What kind of fucking science are Infinity stones using again?
>>
>>78019177
>cool reveal
Not him but I remember seeing the film in a cinema and once the Red Skull appeared in all his glory a guy shouted "For real?" and left the cinema.
God that was funny.
>>
File: 1449540239542.png (508 KB, 768x433) Image search: [Google]
1449540239542.png
508 KB, 768x433
>>78019137
Bretty güd
>>
>>78019211
But why make Cyborg Superman John? Did they just use his name to ruse us?
>>
>>78019236
The real Hank Henshaw is still out there somewhere bby. Cybie can come out of the woodwork next year/season
>>
>>78019134
X-Men still came out first. A franchise that has adapted through The Dark Knight and Avengers franchises and still arguably makes the best movies.
>>
>>78019252
Didn't he say Hank Henshaw died?
>>
>>78018208
>Seeing J’onn tonight

Goddamn it, the one night I don't watch Supergirl immediately I get spoiled on /co/.
>>
>>78019211
And the acting, story, character portrayal? You know the things that usually make the show shit and reasons to watch any show instead of just looking at a picture.
>>
>>78019361
It was a really good moment.
>>
>>78019361
I've only seen the Red Tornado episode but if he's acting like Hank did in that episode, it should be kind of good.
>>
>>78019236
>Did they just use his name to ruse us?

Yes.

And honestly, is anyone really upset? Cyborg Superman fucking sucks.
>>
>>78019396
Not really. But with how Nu52 Kara faced Cyborg Superman constantly at the start of her run I expected him to be a big bad or at least turn evil in Season 2 (if it ever gets done).
>>
>>78019361
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RTYULOhhY
>>
>>78019434
IIRC New 52 Cyborg Superman is Zor-El, so there's still a chance he could show up eventually.
>>
>>78019236
They changed their plan after the pilot leak. The Cereal King himself convinced them to do it after one of them said it as a joke.
>>
>>78019524
>Cereal King
Huh
>>
>>78019236

It's not like Henshaw couldn't come back as Cyborg Superman at some point, infected by some kind of a alien technology that used his carcass as a host, vowing vengeance for his identity being stolen.
>>
>>78018508
Shaq is way too old and heavy set to be Steel.

Blair Underwood would make a great Mister Terrific, not sure if it would happen given that he'd be moving from AoS to a DC property unless it was for a feature film.
>>
>>78019464
Wow the still images made it look much better than it actually did. That CGI looks like shit.
>>
>>78019254
Donner Supes and Burton Bats were the first feature films. There was a batch of B (and C/D) grade movies as well, and after the last Reeves movie and the Nipple Batman, it took X-Men and Spidey to make it seem viable to the financial people, notwithstanding stuff like Blade.

Just go to Box Office Mojo and look at the Genre section.
>>
>>78019566
Lurk more. Johns
>>
>>78019725
I'm sorry I don't follow your epic may-mays
>>
>>78018508
>I think it translates better onto TV. TV always felt like the "comfier" place to flesh out comic book elements.
I don't think it's necessarily comic book limited. When you watch something at home you're surrounded by comfort, you have no standards but as a result no barriers. They can be more open. But going to the movies is itself eventful, you enter a public situation where there's certain social standards and expectations you fulfill. So movies are built as products, they have to be spotlighted and rubbed squeaky clean of any "flaws" like fun and camp. At home you it's not a product, it's a service. And a service has a face, a person. It's more personal. Movies are presentations. TV shows are a visit.
>>
>>78019566
All the answers you need are here
>https://storify.com/robbercat/geoff-johns-cereal-adventure
>>
>>78019686
He said modern, which I'm assuming means this century. I'm aware of Batman and Superman movies, both of which are better than the generic garbage that comes out today.
>>
>>78019761
That was awesome, thanks for the spoonfeeding
>>
Is the TV/movie multiverse confirmed yet?
>>
>>78019838
Of course not, the TV shows are actually fun, can't have that connected to the movies in any way
>>
>>78019857

Didn't the Flash TV staff say they wanted to do a Movie crossover with Ezra Miller at some point?
>>
>>78018208
Holy shit, Flash the show is our Earth's Flash. The actual show itself. By the New Gods....
>>
>>78019874
Ezra Miller himself said he wanted to race TV Flash. But no joke, he seemed legitimately high during that interview.
>>
>>78019886
Wow, take it easy Grant. Mind explaining to those who don't take psychotropic drugs?
>>
File: Flash Suiting up.jpg (146 KB, 600x881) Image search: [Google]
Flash Suiting up.jpg
146 KB, 600x881
>>78018208
Are you saying that the Flash recon the timeline in our universe to make the new 52 real in our world??
>>
File: 847.gif (63 KB, 398x336) Image search: [Google]
847.gif
63 KB, 398x336
>>78019464

>promises to protect someone and keep them out of harms way
>recruits them into an organization that deals with paranormal threats kept secret from the public
>>
>>78018767
no they didn't. They just added comedy to everything.
There are no comicbook shenanigans like King Shark, Gorilla Grodd, time travel, multiverse, etc
>>
>>78019591

This. I saw him with when he was presenting the new Shaq Fu game and you can see the age on his face nowadays.

I'm mad the post you responded to stopped before Jakeem Thunder could get a goddamn mention. HE needs to make a comeback. Fuck.
>>
>>78019464
>>78019684
Yeah that CGI animation was shit.
>>
>>78018208
This has been a driving force in DC for a while now.

They're pushing things like the Metal Men and Amazo to the forefront.
>>
>>78020555
>Metal Men
Turn Cyborg into Cyborg and the Metal Men instead of Teen Titans, please WB
>>
>>78020634
Pretty sure there's been talk of a Metal Men movie after JL Dark and Aquaman

There's also been a Sgt.Rock movie in development for years.
>>
>>78018767
>Alien Thor
>Uber-science Strange

No.
>>
File: 44.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
44.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>78018208
D-do you think the hypercrisis is real?
>>
>>78018208
The silver age of comics was actually good though, unlike this /tv/ rubbish which isn't even worth watching.

Julius Schwartz would be spinning in his grave.
>>
>>78018208
>Silver Age of Live Action

is that why the dialogue is so shit?
>>
>>78023241
Yep! And I'm loving every second of it.
>>
>>78022848
Is there a release date for Multiversity too yet?
>>
>>78018208
>Gotham
>darker, grounded, Nolan-inspired work

por que
>>
>>78018208
nah, we had 10 years of Smallville before flash, which was silver age as fuck

plus all those older shows like WW, Adventures of Lois and Clark, Hulk and Shazam were also pretty silver agey.

Fuck, are you too underage to remember the Reeves superman movies (embodiement of the silver age)

I think you are just trying to grasp at straws op
>>
File: Jakeem_Thunder_0001.jpg (66 KB, 600x906) Image search: [Google]
Jakeem_Thunder_0001.jpg
66 KB, 600x906
>>78020370
>Implying Jakeem Thunder won't appear on Season 2 of Legends of Tomorrow.

smfh tbqh pham.
>>
>>78018208
>Ever since the Flash debuted, all of DC’s live action properties have seemingly really embraced the crazier, larger-than-life, gods-walk-among-us style that DC’s comics have that separates itself from other comic universes

But Man of Steel did exactly that, you dipshit
>>
>>78019272
And the body probably brought back to life with cyborg shit.
>>
>>78018418
Very true.

I personally think what we need is a balance between comedy and serious drama.
>>
>>78019913
Flash has ushered in the Silver Age. The show has destroyed the concept of realism and brought about the true age of the comic book hero. Not this tacticool hyper realistic bs we have been being fed.
>>
>>78029383
POTTERY
>>
>>78026266
Well, because it was. A dark, washed-out police procedural with some slightly outlandish elements (assassins, weird steroids, crazy goat-men), but still very much in the real world. Seems like it's gotten way more wacky since I stopped watching, but gritty and grounded is definitely how it started.
>>
>>78030524
Episode 3 has a man who murders people with balloons.

It's not Nolan at all. It's Burton, full stop.
>>
>>78030524
the whole narrative of Gotham is about how the death of the Waynes triggered a shift in zeitgeist amongst Gotham's criminals from ordinary thugs to the increasingly esoteric and quirky, which will penultimateley result in the fully fledged superheroes and masked vigilante culture that Gotham is known for.
>>
>>78028026
Not nearly compared to the inasne stuff in Flash.
>>
>>78028026
Man of Steel wasn't fun.
>>
>>78018208
The Big Wigs at DC seem to give more of a shit about the movies so they're giving the tv shows a bit more creative room.

Everyone loves the lighthearted humor and feel of marvel movies, so they are leaving that to the tv shows. They're going for that grimdark shit look in movies because they probably think people dont want the same shit every single movie. they're not wrong but i think the part where they are fucking up is rushing everything.

Marvel took the first risk and was able to slowly build their world, whereas DC is rushing to cash in on capeshit. This rushing of jamming so many new characters into one movie in the hopes to launch the DCCU is not gonna work for them as well as they hope.

If anything they should take their time and slow build it. People will eventually tire of marvel movies and maybe by then DC will have a universe finally set up with all the grimdark you can imagine. people will flock to that.

Either way, DC is only owning the tv field because marvel ALLOWS it. we've seen how good daredevil was. JJ was decent as well.

Marvel focuses on movies and Dc gets tv.
>>
>>78018208
Wish faggots would hop off the Flash's dick already. Smallville was doing a lot of this shit live-action wise on tv well before Flash, albeit not as well, but still
>>
>>78032452
>DC is only owning the tv field because marvel ALLOWS it
Yeah, agents of Shield sure is great
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.