[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC universe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: justice league_wallpaper 2012.jpg (113 KB, 1600x997) Image search: [Google]
justice league_wallpaper 2012.jpg
113 KB, 1600x997
Why is it that Marvel can make like 50 movies of different heroes while it's like pulling teeth with DC to make them do a movie with 3 at most?

>Batman Superman Wonderwoman

Why? I don't get this. They could of done BvS for ever ago some where around the first Avengers to compete with it and it would of done fantastic. They could of kept it with the same current Bat and Supe at the time. So what is the biggest issue now? Some friends of mine have said"It's a desperate attempt to get past or even with Marvel"

I love both, not equally, cause obviously, I love DC comics more and always have. Comparing tho, I think DC can make better live action and Comics while Marvel can make better Movies and Cartoons.
(I love most everything Batman anyways but still you get the point)

I feel like over the years, they've gotten soft with making hero movies. Does any one else feel this way? I would say that they care more about getting to the audience than writing a good story.
>>
Marvel already introduced those heroes in standalone movies.

In each of the movies leading up to Cap 3, they'd introduce 1 or 2 new heroes. An hour and a half is enough time to explain 1 or 2 guys.

But when you're introducing like, what, FIVE new iterations of a hero in your movie, none of them will get the time they need to shine or necessarily connect with the audience.
>>
Marvel Studios didn't have the rights to Spider-Man or the X-Men, so they were forced to diversify. If DC didn't have the rights to Batman, they might have done something similar.
>>
>>78003390
They think they need to take it slow like Marvel did when they could have just made Justice League the first movie of their universe. Not that the Goyerverse could have ever been good no matter how they formatted it but yeah.
>>
>>78003390

BvS has been a thing since 2003
And both the arrow show and the SS movie came from the SUPERMAX movie
>>
>>78003390
>I don't get this. They could of done BvS for ever ago some where around the first Avengers to compete with it and it would of done fantastic.
That's looking back with the benefit of hindsight. Marvel had been setting up The Avengers for years, and started long before they knew just how successful it would be.
>>
>>78003390
I think a lot has to do with Marvel Studios being owned by Disney, but Disney itself not making all the decisions while WB is the studio directly making all DC property films.
>>
>>78003485
>started long before they knew just how successful it would be.
But they started so they could know how successful it would be. That's the whole reason for doing characters one at a time. Never forget that Disney is generally the least risk-averse company in an industry that's extremely risk-averse already. They really didn't take any risk by making Avengers. Really the only significant risk taken was Iron Man, and the rest slowly built on the confidence created by it. By the time Avengers rolled around, it was all but a sure ticket to success.
>>
>>78003451
This is what started it. Then Marvel's decision paid off massively, and DC is forced to catch up on something that took Marvel over 4 years, and get it out before the genre starts to die off again.
>>
Because Iron Man was a rousing success and Green Lantern was one of the most disastrous films of the decade. That honestly just sent the companies on two very different paths. Suddenly WB had to catch up to not one phase of world-building, but two.
>>
>>78003534
They didn't think it would flop, but they had no idea it would be such a monumental hit. They were trying out a new formula because they didn't have the rights to rely on one big character. And Disney didn't start the MCU - The Avengers had already been set up when they bought Marvel.
>>
>>78003390
The problem was every movie they tried to make that wasn't Batman or Superman ended up sucking and even Superman started sucking after its first two movies.

Also this>>78003422
>>
>>78003592
> And Disney didn't start the MCU - The Avengers had already been set up when they bought Marvel.
Oh, you're right. Well then that explains exactly why the first initial risk of Iron Man was taken--Disney didn't even do it.
>>
I just started reading some comics, what's the best comic/ storyline to begin batman as well as the general best?
>>
>They could of done BvS for ever ago some where around the first Avengers to compete with it and it would of done fantastic.

Justice League Mortal was set to film in 2007 and release in 2009 until the writers strike killed it. This fact alone invalidates your entire post.
>>
>>78003390
>why is it that Marvel can make like 50 movies of different heroes while it's like pulling teeth with DC to make them do a movie with 3 at most?

Dude, did you not hear about how the movie that has three characters in it is opening up the cinematic universe that will have a billion characters in it? All the characters in the logo of the pic you posted are getting their own films, and then some. Where have you been?

>Why? I don't get this. They could of done BvS for ever ago some where around the first Avengers to compete with it and it would of done fantastic. They could of kept it with the same current Bat and Supe at the time. So what is the biggest issue now? Some friends of mine have said"It's a desperate attempt to get past or even with Marvel"

Maybe because it would had been some cynical bullshit-tier executive meddling to fuck with Nolan's trilogy just to cash in on the expanded-universe trend and shoehorn the Justice League into the vision of the filmmakers actually making those movies. Do fans really want shitty planned-by-committee cash-grab movies just to realize their wet dream of seeing real people play the Superfriends?

I mean, yeah, I wanted a shared universe, too, but this should never be a priority over making good movies.
>>
>>78003390
>I feel like over the years, they've gotten soft with making hero movies. Does any one else feel this way? I would say that they care more about getting to the audience than writing a good story.
Hard to say, because DC hasn't been very involved in the film adaptations until DC Entertainment was established (even still, I don't know how involved actual DC guys are in that, seeing as "Green Lantern" was the first movie under that division, I think), so everything was done by WB Studios, because they have the same parent company.

Meanwhile at Marvel, they were licensing out their characters to Sony, Fox, Columbia, etc, which is why more Marvel movies were being made than DC movies. Then Marvel created its own studio and realized they had the rights to most of the traditional Avengers characters, and so started doing the MCU. And these are comic-book guys, which is why the MCU is sorta distinct from the brands the other studios are making. A lot of rights are still with other studios (F4 and X-Men, for example), but Marvel buys them whenever other studios are willing to let them go (once in a blue moon, like Daredevil).

WB sees the success of Marvel and is trying to catch up, which I think spurred creating DCE and the MoS universe. The "shared universe" thing was actually supposed to start with Green Lantern (same writers would had done "The Flash"), but that tanked, so they changed course. They ended up doing MoS even though they didn't wanna do a Supes film because they'd have to pay the Siegels money if they didn't (complicated court case), and then they were like, "if this does okay, it'll be the start of a shared universe." It did okay, so they were like "DO JUSTICE LEAGUE NOW" because it's easier to compete with Avengers that way than trying to start with individual-character movies like they did.
>>
>>78003674
Batman: Year One
Batman and the Monster Men
Batman and the Mad Monk
The Man Who Laughs
>>
>WB doesn't have the rights to Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash and Aquaman
Quick, build your ideal Cinematic Universe in this situation.
>>
>>78003674
What
>>78004616
Said
Plus Joker's Asylum, Long Halloween, and many of the big DC guys have "Best Of" kinda books of slightly stand alone stuff from their first appearance to issues of their biggest writers over the years
>>
>>78004662
It already exists and it's called Legends of Tomorrow.
>>
>>78004662
>Justice League Dark
>Suicide Squad
>The Authority
>The Question with Vic Sage
>Swamp Thing
>Section 8
Basically have an R-rated cinematic universe that would give us something different from the MCU.
>>
>>78004662
I actually made a thread a while back that nobody read that was a DC Cinematic Universe of second-stringers. The three pillars were sort of JLI, magic shit, and space shit. Movies were things like Captain Atom, Rocket Red, R.E.B.E.L.S., Heaven Sent/Dark Universe/JLD or whatever it would be called, The Demon, Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, Lobo, etc.
>>
>>78004812
I want movies of The Authority and The Question more than I should, considering they wouldn't happen.
>>
>>78005156
Maybe DC will make a deal with HBO the same way Marvel did with Netflix, that's the only way I could see those two being adapted.

Doubt we'll ever see the movies and Authority/Question on the CW would be a disaster.
>>
Easy OP, because marvel movies at most are mediocre. There's not much thought put into them and are mostly cash grabs. DC has higher quality films they can't be rushed.
>>
>>78005450
You see, that's quite simply bullshit. At least this "new" DC universe which admittedly doesn't yet consist of very many movies.

By the way, why, WHY, is Zack "fucking" Snyder DC's go-to guy?

Going by Metacritic (I know, I know) the man has made exactly zero good films. Hell, he's made zero AVERAGE films. Not one that has an average starting with six or better.

WHY? Fuck you Zack Snyder.
>>
>>78003422
That's what I thinking will happen with BvS

>>78003451
If they didn't have the rights to Batman, they would of prolly done a Batman and Superman movie years ago

>>78003492
how do you think it would work out if DC had all say?

>>78003591
I'm not disagreeing with you anon but as my dad said
"When you watch a movie based on a comic book, don't think of about the comic book directly, think of it as a completely separate media"
As how there are like 6 Green Lantern comics or like 5 different Batman comics

>>78003674
I would say starting with new 52s but it feels unfulfilling. It's not bad tho.

>>78003884
this i was not aware of. I was too young at the time to know

>>78004190
>All the characters in the logo of the pic you posted are getting their own films, and then some. Where have you been?

yes but after the fact. I know they are going to, it's just taking forever to do so

and to answer the "wet dream cash grab"
That is a yes anon. That's all they care about

>this should never be a priority
Marvel has good writers when it comes to making movies like this
DC does... But I think they are afraid to utilize what they have at hand

>>78004270
like I said, it could work, but I think they are too afraid to fail again like they did with Catwoman to give it a chance to see what happens

>>78005450
maybe not, but when marvel makes a movie it's being made, so when you see it your expectations are high and when you go see another movie they are high again and what happens? they tank,
Just like Fat Albert...
>>
>>78003390
Marvel makes better cartoons? How old are you? What the fuck does Marvel have besides uneven Assemble and Ultimate Spiderman?
>>
>>78007622
90's spiderman tho...
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.