[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>DC finally release an animated film that isn't complete
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
>DC finally release an animated film that isn't complete generic tripe

Didn't see that coming. Can we take a moment to talk about how good this was?
>>
>>77978556
Sure.

Honesty, I think this is what Timm needed all along. In this new movie, this new universe, he isn't all too constrained as he was before. So you don't have a league that feels at half strength, and it's interesting to have a completely different Batman this time.
>>
>>77978556
It wasn't
>>
>>77978556
it was platinum.
>>
>>77978556
I just watched this for the first time last night! I really did enjoy it.

I hope more can be done with the universe, as Mexican Superman, vague vampire batman, and New God Wonder Woman are interesting.

I'm probably wrong about this, but I would like to see a movie where Highfather comes to earth, and the new league needs to recruit a la the nu52 Justice League, but with counterparts.

Actually, I'm definitely wrong on this. Though antagonist high father has potential.
>>
It's interesting to see the Behind the Scene featuree and learning that Timm & Burnett had problems with the plot until Geoff Johns came to help as he lay out the basic premise of the story. It's a fun and interesting movie, more better than the Animated universe that WB is doing with the Batman movies

Bruce Timm as President of WB Animation when?
>>
>>77978556
Vampire Batman was better than I thought he would be
>>
>>77978769
Dextermorganman definitely the highlight of the show
>>
File: lantern.jpg (75 KB, 680x316) Image search: [Google]
lantern.jpg
75 KB, 680x316
>>77978711
Well Timm did show somewhere desing for a Mary Marvel, Green Lantern and Citizen Steel
>>
>>77978841
Citizen Steel looks like he'll be a better War Machine. I welcome this, because War Machine has not been utilized well enough.
>>
>>77978841
Is that an ACTUAL ALIEN for Green Lantern? Someone who just has Earth as part of their beat but no real connection?

Fuck yeah.

Mary Marvel's top looks like it'll flop down if she ever tries flying though.

Citizen steel reminds me of a traditional Metal Man
>>
>>77979068
>Mary Marvel's top looks like it'll flop down if she ever tries flying though.

that a problem?
>>
>>77978556
I would love to see more of double immigrant supermans childhood and how it differed from Kent supes.
>>
>>77978556

I liked it except for the part where Lex Luthor died but not really and he teleports in at the last minute to resolve half a movie's worth of conflict. Not saying he should have died, but having a presumed dead character teleport in to get people to stop fighting like that is really cheap.

However, the part where Batman is fighting 3 Metal Men at the same time and everyone is dying around him. THAT'S how you show a super hero desperately trying to save people, but being unable to stop the destruction around him. Take note, Snyder.
>>
>>77979200
Have you read the comics? They talk about Zuperman's upbringing in detail.
>>
>>77979068
>Mary Marvel's top looks like it'll flop down if she ever tries flying though.

there's this thing called magic, maybe you've heard of it before
>>
File: wheredoyouthinkweare.jpg (72 KB, 489x432) Image search: [Google]
wheredoyouthinkweare.jpg
72 KB, 489x432
>>77979218
>Have you read the comics?
>>
>>77978841

Wasn't Steel one of the scientists who died?
>>
>>77978841
But they killed Irons in that scientist slaughter.
>>
>>77979310
>>77979350
Gods and Monsters universe doesn't have the same rules as main universe DC. This Steel could perfectly be another person doning the Steel name, just like if there's a Cyborg it won't be Victor Stone
>>
>>77978642

Yup. Nice to see more of Timm's designs but I was pretty bored with it.
>>
>>77979405
>>77979350
>>77979310
Citizen Steel/Commander Steel is a completely different character to John Henry Irons "Steel".
>>
>>77979405
>>77979506

That's true, just like Wonder Woman and Bruce. But I thought for the most part, the scientists WERE alternate universe versions of the same guy. For example, Victor Fries was a big expert on arctic ice or some shit, Silas Stone had a bunch of Cyborg-esque weapons, Ray Palmer was shrinking stuff, and Will Magnus built a ton of robots.
>>
It was great and I want more of it.
>>
>>77978841
>>77979068

I hope that somehow they connect Citizen Steel with the metal men who have already appeared.
>>
>Gods and Monsters
>Not generic tripe

The story was predictable, the "twist" was retarded, the actors were phoning it in. It was a forgettable Elseworld's story with more violence and curse words for "mature fans such as myself".
>>
>>77980478
New gods Wonder Woman and Mexican superman sure are generic
>>
>>77978556
I liked Superhombre more than I thought I would, especially after reading his comics, I hope this eventually gets a show
>>
>>77980514
They woulnd't have been had the film actually done anything with them.

>Mexican superman is angry
>Bekka is a slut, but TRAGIC LOVE BACKSTORY
>>
>>77980597
You should probably had read the comics, Superman is actually fucking great especially after what happened to his sister, Bekka was a hippie during a time and tried her best to forget Orion
>>
>>77980687
I read some of the comics and enjoyed them, that's why it was disappointing none of that made it into the movie.
>>
>>77979832
Nah, Citizen Steel is some JSA dude He's a honkey
>>
>>77980478
>more violence and curse words for "mature fans such as myself"

There was barely even any blood and it had less cursing than Network TV. How easily triggered can one man be?
>>
>>77980713
There was no reason to allow this into the movie though, the movie pretty much assumed that you already would know that
>>
>>77980733
>triggered

This is what happens when anonymous learns a new word.

There was more gore and profanity than in previous DC animated films, and it came across of juvenile.
>>
>>77980769
But why would the average person who sees the movie in Best Buy be expected to know the character's backstory? You have to aim for a broader audience than comics fans.
>>
>>77980780
Did you forgot about the Suicide squad movie that came before this ? While it was good and all, it was way worse with the curses and sex Appel
>>
>>77980780
>There was more gore and profanity than in previous DC animated films

And? It was tame by PG-13 standards. It's more juvenile to have superbeings trying to kill but be afraid to show it. Or bullshit like in JLU when an entire city gets destroyed and the President goes "but luckily no casualties"
>>
>>77980780
>This is what happens when anonymous learns a new word.

it gets used appropriately? You're freaking out over violence that not even the most protective 90s soccer moms would care about.
>>
>>77980813
Suicide Squad had a couple of "shits" here and there, but Gods and Monsters was more indulgent, and none of the previous movies used casual blasphemy.

>>77980830
>showing restrain is juvenile

By that logic, 90's Image comics are the equivalent of Dostoevsky.

>>77980859
Finding something distasteful is not the same as "freaking" out, though I suspect such nuances are beyond you.
>>
>>77979211
>Take note, Snyder.
He's busy making millions while running our heroes through the mud.
>>
>>77980952
>Suicide Squad had a couple of "shits" here and there
There's also the scene were Deadshot and Harley fuck and the blood from when Skwad members head are blown up.
>>
>>77979211
Superhombre short did a great job showing how a dark superman should work, him trying to help the kid and feeling sorry for what he had to do to him was pretty sad
>>
>>77980952
>and none of the previous movies used casual blasphemy.

what

>showing restrain

So having dangerous killers who never kill, and having cities get destroyed with no deaths is "showing restraint?"

>By that logic, 90's Image comics are the equivalent of Dostoevsky.

Not at all. I never said that more gore makes a subject more mature. Only that Gods and Monsters has very little gore; it really still shows a lot of restraint when it comes to brutal depictions of death. Like the guy who gets torn in half, but you only see the shadow,rather than a direct view of his internal organs. That's restraint. Clearly you want the movie to go past that and take place in a world where no one gets hurt beyond minor papercuts and bruises.
>>
>>77980780
the braniac movie was more violent than this one.
The Warren Ellis based movie was more violent and gory than this

this is up there, but seriously it's not "muh mature movie for muh mature tastes"
>>
>>77981396

the episode of Spongebob where squidward's toe gets destroyed is more violent than anything in this movie
>>
>>77978711

>Mexican Superman

You mean Superhombre?
>>
>>77981165
>So having dangerous killers who never kill, and having cities get destroyed with no deaths is "showing restraint?"

Yes? As I recall, the only city that was destroyed was Luthor's Model City that he built for the campaign.

>Like the guy who gets torn in half, but you only see the shadow

You see the shadow of his organs falling out and hear the sound.

> Clearly you want the movie to go past that and take place in a world where no one gets hurt beyond minor papercuts and bruises.

Have you seen mask of the Phantasm or Return of the Joker? You can do on screen death without being to adolescent about it.
>>
>>77981537
>As I recall, the only city that was destroyed was Luthor's Model City that he built for the campaign.

Luthor hacked the JL's space station gun, fired on Cadmus headquarters, which conveniently had already been evacuated and had all its technology hauled off in under an hour, and caused a massive shockwave which toppled buildings and caused hundreds of car crashes in a nearby town, necessitating a full evacuation of the population. But a couple scenes later the President said "luckily there were no casualties." I just think it's ridiculous to have superbeings and superweapons throwing their weight around and luckily everyone happens to be in the exact right positions so that they aren't hurt. It's like the Hulk's supermath ability where he can destroy city blocks without harming anyone.

>You see the shadow of his organs falling out and hear the sound.

How is that not restraint? I can see actual organs on TV. Not just HBO and shit, but even cable.

>Have you seen mask of the Phantasm or Return of the Joker?

The only difference between those and Gods and Monsters was the presence of blood. Joker even gets shot center mass and impaled with a dart. There's nothing in Gods and Monsters more shocking or distasteful than that. It's also telling that your examples how to do violence "right" are both cartoons from an era which is known to have heavily censored cartoons.

You also haven't explained what you meant about blasphemy.
>>
>>77981838
>I can see actual organs on TV. Not just HBO and shit, but even cable.

Actually, fuck. Even shows like Invader Zim and Spongebob have shown organs on sceen.
>>
>>77978841
>All these people confusing Citizen Steel with Steel
Why not actually pick a comic you fags
>>
>>77983983

make me
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.