[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you go about writing a new Scooby Doo show for Adult Swim?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9
File: 17008977476_786b1425c5_o.jpg (122 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
17008977476_786b1425c5_o.jpg
122 KB, 1600x900
How would you go about writing a new Scooby Doo show for Adult Swim?
>>
>Only Shaggy can hear scooby

>Shaggy is actually straight edge

>Velma is unchanged

>Fred and Daphne are on again and off again lovers, and throw barbs at each other all the time

>Scrappy doo is present, only to absorb slapstick gags
>>
I would hire the Zombie Island writers, let them do whatever they wanted.
>>
I guess the villain motives would be better. Stuff like drug smuggling or sex trafficking. Suspects would wind up dead sometimes.
>>
>>77966052
Does he still act the same?
>>
How about the Gang in a Mission Hill type setting
>>
>>77966187

Yes
>>
>>77965985
They all fucked Scooby at one point or another, but none of them know about it other than Scooby and they're all trying to keep it a secret from the others.
>>
>>77966126
this + mystery inc writers
>>
Mystery Inc sans implications
>>
Remember Night of the Living Doo?

Just a whole series of that.
>>
Set it several years after Scooby-Doo: Where are You? or Mystery Inc with the gang having split up and gone off to separate things.

>Fred and Daphne got married each other and divorced young

>Fred went on to become a television star with a starring role in show about the paranormal

Daphne became a fashion designer

>Velma became a liaison with various world police forces

>Shaggy turned to trying to solve mysteries himself after becoming bored with his new life and turned to alcohol to avoid the pressure of life

>Scooby stuck with Shaggy and helped him to become clean and receives royalty cheques for a cartoon about him

The show would involve Shaggy reuniting the gang to solve a mystery in their home town, but Velma works out Shaggy staged the whole thing to bring them all back.

It quickly becomes apparent that their is actually a huge connecting mystery across the country and decide that it's up to them to figure out what.
>>
Fred would enjoy traps.
>>
>>77967791
So, basically 'Zombie Island: Edgelord Cut'.
>>
File: skooks.gif (310 KB, 400x374) Image search: [Google]
skooks.gif
310 KB, 400x374
>>77965985

make skooks cannon
>>
>>77968003

and make orpheusftw a writer
>>
Regular Scooby Doo episodes but with Carl added.
>>
>>77965985
I'd spin-off the Ben Edlund Scooby-Doo spoof from Venture Brothers. It'd just be a collection of their misadventures before being killed by Venturestein.

>Ted Bundy as Fred
>Patty Hearst as Daphne
>Valerie Solanas as Velma
>David Berkowitz as Shaggy
>Sam as Scooby-Doo

God I love Venture Brothers.
>>
>>77966377
I would watch the fuck out of this.
>>
>>77966052
I would love this. Any actual adult Scooby Doo would go straight for the obvious jokes and it would probably suck.
>>
>>77966052
I'd do this but go the opposite way for Shaggy.
>>
>>77966141
That goes against the true spirit of Scooby Doo. It's supposed to be ridiculous stuff like a guy dressing up as the ghost of a wereodile to lower property values for a real estate scam. "Adult" doesn't have to mean edgy.
>>
>>77966187
He would be obnoxious and try to push his SxE lifestyle on his friends, just like the real ones
>>
>>77966052
and make the cases "mature" shit
>>
>>77965985
They do it as a college summer job, work out of Shaggy's house because his parents are dead, take cases off of the internet and payment up front.
Everyone in the group is insecure, but they pull together when shit hits the fan.
I always wondered what would happen if Fred got in an actual brawl. He looks strong enough to actually fuck up a guy given the chance and motivation.
>>
>They go after real ghost and monsters
>Daphne is not apart of the group, but an off screen inspiration, something they see as a goddess of paranormal hunting.
Later on it would be revealed that she's a big fake
>Fred would be a big man-whore, but fails at getting the ladies all the time.
>Velma would be into the occult, and would have a book of spells and other stuff.
>Shaggy would be twice the age of everyone else, and just be there to drive the van and because he owns the dog. Also he smokes a lot of pot.
>Scooby Doo doesn't talk, and acts like a regular dog, but he can sniff out ghost and monsters, and has telekinetic powers.
>>
Basically FreakyLinkz
>>
>>77965985
i would have made it mike tyson mystery's only with the scooby doo gang
>>
>>77970165
Fred's not a fighter though.
He's more into traps.
>>
All you need is one simple change.
Every villain now has ties to the occult, utilizing new powers in their scams and schemes.
>>
>>77974465
So am I.
>>
>>77974465
Everyone is a fighter after a line of coke
>>
>>77974481
Something like this and Mistery Inc. Start with the usual guys disguised as monsters, then the criminals start having actual magic or being actual monsters.
Since it's an adult cartoon we can get some blood and death, even get Shaggy or Scooby hurt.
As the villains get progressively more real and more dangerous, the gang starts to get serious, until it's less comedy and more action and drama, like an animated Supernatural or Buffy, with monsters getting taken down with extreme prejudice.
I think it could work, everyone in the Scooby gang has the potential for being a badass.
>>
>>77968317
This, that bit was amazing
>>
>>77966052
Don't forget to add that Fred is a bisexual rapist.
>>
>>77974635
>Supernatural or Buffy
>Not X-Files
>>
>Have Shaggy and Daphne as a married hippie-esque couple.

>Velma is a failed law student.

>Fred is an alcoholic who specializes in traps.

>Scooby-Doo is more ravenous

>They solve a different range of mysteries, like murders, drug crimes and real paranormal mysteries
>>
I do what they should've from the start.
I make Velma/Fred canon.
>>
>>77974927
>they become swingers
>Shaggy gets the women, while no man wants Daphne
>>
>>77970165
I'd like this. Just Scooby Doo taken slightly more serious.

They could still be teenagers.

Also I've been wanting to hear Fred say "FUCK!" for the longest time.
>>
File: sdfg.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
sdfg.png
2 MB, 1440x900
I'd have them plot a course.

Intercourse.
>>
>>77965985
Sliced up clips of Scooby Doo Where Are You? ala Sealab 2021 depicting the gang slowly getting tired of the bullshit that comes with mystery solving.
>>
>>77975155
Gee, imagine owning your own--

NIGGER
>>
>CN will never do something like this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heAkdYRxnyM
>>
>>77966449
Mystery inc? I liked more if Fred fondness for Daphne were unilateral but she were nice or oblivious about it also the stoner shipped with the nerdy? That was weird and unnecessary! Why ship the whole main cast? People can stay together for more reasons than love interest.

Also bitch Velma is worst Velma.
>>
Daphne wears revealing clothes in every episode

That's all I got so far
>>
>>77965985
Shaggy is a paranoid conspiracy theorist. Velma is into occult shit. Daphne is a gossip addict. Fred is an adrenaline junkie. Scooby is Scooby.
Make the whole thing as over the top as possible. think the 'but then we struck gator' episode of Mystery Inc, have a cornerstone of the humor being how reality of the situation is more absurd than if it was just a monster
>>
>>77966052
I don't think subverting expectations should justify such a waste of comedic potential.
>>
>>77966206
>Scooby DooXMission Hill crossover
Sounds too good for me
>>
>>77975383
>Shaggy is a paranoid conspiracy theorist
>Daphne is a gossip addict
>Fred is an adrenaline junkie
I like that idea.
>>
>>77975209
Most accurate post. Besides Venture Bros, Adult Swim banks on poor animation and "clever" fart sex jokes.
>>
Exactly like classic Scooby Doo
set up adult situations, diffuse them harmlessly, and generally attempt to give the audience blue balls
>>
>Daphne is into bond and gag bondage.
>>
>>77965985
>Shaggy's drug use is more apparent
>Scooby is actually just a dog
>Scooby's voice is only in Shaggy's head
>Shaggy is actually very perceptive/intelligent but pins it all on Scooby
>>
>>77966052
Daphne should have the hots for shaggy. Like in 13 ghosts.
>>
>>77974927
>hippie-esque couple
I'd watch that
>>
>>77976525
Well she kinda keked Fred with Shaggy one time they were drugged. Maybe maybe make that event part of their backstories and bring it up ocassionally
>>
>The show takes place in the 70's like the original cartoon
>Setting is a parody of how society was back then
>>
>>77969645
What's with the quotation marks?
>>
File: Ted.png (119 KB, 250x299) Image search: [Google]
Ted.png
119 KB, 250x299
>>77966052

So kind of like this, but without them being serial killer expys?
>>
Make Daphne the center of DID
>>
>>77979849
That shit was to mean-spirited to carry an entire show
>>
>>77965985
I'd probably make it a serial black comedy where the gang is on the look out for one, specific monster but spend the entire season trying to unmask him/her/it. In the meantime they run into other disturbed individuals, traps, and occasionally fight with each other too. There'd be a significant amount of violence and other adult subject matter, though there'd be an effort to still keep the characters the same. Scooby would probably be completely unchanged.

It'd probably be ten episodes long, with each episode being around 11 minutes in length.
>>
No alcoholism for anyone, that shit is old by now
>>
>>77965985
I'd take the Mystery Inc plot lore to some really dark places
>>
Exactly the same but they can swear and there's titties
>>
do it exactly the same.
But maybe make it so the tension is felt.
Keep the chases goofy but you still care if they get caught
>>
>>77970165
> I always wondered what would happen if Fred got in an actual brawl. He looks strong enough to actually fuck up a guy given the chance and motivation.

I'd like to - at least once - see the show being what it *appears* to be on the surface. A mystery thriller starring a Buff Hero and a Sexy Heroine, and the supporting characters The Brain and the Comic Sidekick (who has a dog).
>>
>>77966141
"They were smuggling hookers across the border, and came up with the Godzilla Ghost to cover their tracks. The first clue was the panties we found..."
>>
>>77966052
Not bad
>>
>let them curse
>make every villain's plan extremely convoluted where them actually stealing money, etc would be much easier
>make some of the villain's plans adult in nature (trying to molest children or kill someone)
>have an episode where they're trying to solve a mystery at an amusement park and in the end they fuck up and unmask a random worker at the park and the villain gets away
>make the group incompetent and solve most of their mysteries on accident
>shaggy is a NEET who constantly has to call his mom and tell him where he's at
>scooby is a random dog that wanders around everywhere and every now and then have everyone ask 'Wait, why the fuck is this dog following us?'
>Freddy isn't gay but is obsessed with jerking off and often times will hide away to jerk off instead of solving the mystery
>velma is one of those virgin girls who's into anime, she wants Freddy's dick
>Daphne is Velma Shaggy's little sister that his mom makes him take everywhere. The only reason she agrees to come with him is because she wants Freddy's dick
>>
>>77984785
>Daphne is Velma Shaggy's little sister
Meant to say 'Daphne is Shaggy's little sister'.
>>
File: Google ChromeScreenSnapz048.jpg (26 KB, 563x340) Image search: [Google]
Google ChromeScreenSnapz048.jpg
26 KB, 563x340
Velma and Hot Dog Water as curious, mischievous, cynical power couple, investigating mysteries and each other. It's a fascinating coming of age for the two of them, with lots of emotional moments.

Gang is close and constant, carrying some elements of Mystery Inc and others from Be Cool—they bicker like family, Fred has his traps and Daphne her silly hobbies, but neither is quite as dumb as they've sometimes been played, nor are the jealousy issues of Mystery Inc first season present; we've permanently grown past that. Similarly, Shaggy and Scooby are brothers, not boyfriends.

Much continuity from Mystery Inc carries on and evolves (Marcie becomes aware of the old timeline and is profoundly shaken), but childish bullshit is gone—the gang cares about each other profoundly.

Mysteries are exciting and interesting and never predictable. Some monsters fake, others real.
>>
File: awwwww yeaaaah.jpg (136 KB, 493x750) Image search: [Google]
awwwww yeaaaah.jpg
136 KB, 493x750
>>77986199
I'd watch the shit out of Marcy and Velma solving mysteries.
>>
>>77986292
>I'd watch the shit out of Marcy and Velma solving mysteries.

I know, right? The two most realistic of the bunch—deep and thoughtful and cynical and lovable and into each other, and shyly playful about it. And Marcie wonders why she has these strange memories of an alternate life... and even more importantly, why they should be returning to her when that reality no longer exists.
>>
File: tfw_no_shaggy_puppet.jpg (45 KB, 849x477) Image search: [Google]
tfw_no_shaggy_puppet.jpg
45 KB, 849x477
More puppets.
>>
>>77986199
Lesbians are getting old
>>
File: DOTM Stuffed Bunny.jpg (46 KB, 600x322) Image search: [Google]
DOTM Stuffed Bunny.jpg
46 KB, 600x322
>Scooby is actually reviled to be a real Ghost that only Shaggy can see or speak to while the others look at him funny for speaking to thin air

>Shaggy is gets away with doing all kinds of fucked up shit on the show because hes Shaggy and lovable

>Velma loses weight and tries hard to look cute for Shaggy her secret crush while being the brains

Fred is bi and gets killed off in a horrible way in each episode like Kenny while the rest of the cast could care less about his deaths

>Daphne is an air head with a warm heart and a love for lollipops who enjoys wearing as little clothing as possible when shes not just flat out nude. Shes about 5 year younger than she been in all past shows (with the exception of A Pup named Scooby doo) She gets kidnapped and tied up in almost every other episode and the gang has to save her from the monsters who give off a rappy vibe. She also carries a stuffed white bunny around with her who she talks to as and even gets into fights with named Harvey
>>
>>77987967
>Shes about 5 year younger than she been in all past shows
So she's 11 in your show?
>>
>>77988384

Not that young. I don't know if they ever gave out her characters fictional age on the show but I always viewed her as a chick in her early 20s
>>
>>77988616
Save for a couple of instances where they're specifically shown in college the gang has always been teenagers. Teenager being something between 13-17, substract 5 from that and you're dealing with loliDaphne.
Great idea, by the wy
>>
>>77974481
>>77974635
So, the Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo?
>>
>>77965985
>It's been years since the gang has been together.
>broke up due to differences.
>Freddy and Daph had a 3 some with Velma and Velma goes nuts for Daph
>Daph has to put out a restraining order cause it gets to far
>Scooby passes away from old age.
>Scrappy hates to see his Uncle go so he joins Shaggy on solving cases
>Shaggy wears scooby's collar as to remind him who is best pal is
>The show is darker themed
>Shaggy and Scrappy solve crimes and mysteries and sometimes hears from the others
>Velma tries to kill herself and ends up in an asylum
>Velma finds god and wants to try again with Shaggy
>Freddy opens a hobby shop while residing back in Coolsville
>Everyone is in their 30's or so
>1 ep would be where Velma does finally offs herself.
>Shaggy breaks down and cries
>another ep comes into place where they have to goto Gotham and find Batman for help (It maybe hanna barbara, but they've done shit with Batman)
>A blue Falcon Ep
COME ON
If that's too old for scrappy, it's Scooby's grandbaby
>>
>more mature Dexter's Lab in the show.
>Use The Question
>>
a follow up to 13th Ghost.

Shaggy, Daphne, Scooby and Scrappy wakes up in Coolsville/Crystal Cove. they remember where 13th Ghost left off and they try and piece together what happened while the four of them become increasingly paranoid and not really trusting they're past associates even Fred and Velma.
>>
>>77966126
>>77966449
>>
>>77987967
>Velma loses weight
dropped
>>
Have them be the schemers/villains, like that one time in Mystery Inc when they fucked over the older gang
>>
>>77965985
I'd try to make it work as a Scooby Doo adaptation first and foremost. Don't want it to just be "Scooby Doo Adult Party Cartoon".

>Same general premise; Mystery Inc solving mysteries
>Humor can be a bit darker/more risque beyond slapstick/"look how big this sandwich is"
>Age the cast up so they're college-age
>Mix in some drama; take the plots further than "guy in mask wants to scare people away from X so he can get money"
>Gradually expand upon some legit paranormal stuff, maybe have "hauntings" tied into a cult or something like that
>Overarching plot with mysteries of the day
>Each character has a personality flaw that they try to deal with
>Fred is too smart for Daphne, but sucks too much to find anyone with some substance
>Daphne wants to have more to offer the world than her looks, but has to come to grips with the idea that maybe she is just a shallow, simple person at her core
>Velma is great at just about everything, but wishes she could be better at socializing and stepping outside of her comfort zone
>Shaggy is a loser who hangs out with his dog; while he's happy, he feels like he should be amounting to more with his life
>Scooby is a dog, and thus has no troubles, aside from the feeling that he's holding Shaggy back from a social standpoint

I'd also toss in some characters like Red Herring just for shits and gigs.

Basically use the older target audience as an opportunity to flesh things out and add some more complexity rather than the tried and true "SHAGGY SMOKES FAT BLUNTS, VELMA IS A DYKE WHO EATS DAPHNE PUSS, FRED JERKS IT TO DICKGIRLS ON REDCHANNIT, SCOOBY IS DEEEEAAAADDDD" stuff.
>>
>>77968317
I really want this.
>>
>>77968003
>>77968142
Is he dead? He hasn't made anything in like 2 years.
>>
They solve real modern day crimes but in their innocent, anachronistic old-timey way, almost as if they were raised until adolescence in some kind of isolated religious cult started in the 70's. They don't drink, they don't curse or engage in premarital relations, but they're surrounded by characters who do all those things and worse, and a lot of the humor comes from their interactions.

A typical episode has them cluelessly fucking around in crime scenes, interfering with police investigations, and often eventually helping the main bad guy get away by accident. They usually catch SOMEONE though, either by a coincidence in the trail of clues or just dumb luck, and sometimes that person is actually guilty of something, possibly even related to the original case. On that note, the "monsters" are usually just types of people the gang has no reference for in their limited world view, often minorities, such as the Manshee (a singing drag queen) or the Meanie Genie (just some Arab guy). They also think every super hairy guy is either Bigfoot or a one of Bigfoot's family infiltrating human society. And sometimes the monsters are just regular old animals. Typically none of these are guilty of whatever the gang is investigating, but their interference usually gets them into some kind of trouble.
>>
>>77965985
>They live in a small town with a college.
>They don't always solve the case
>The gang is working on the behalf of a benefator for money (Velma's Aunt and Uncle)
>Overarching plot with mysteries of the day (from pure cheese to the macabre).
>Event's have consequences for the town, high school etc.
>They are real and sometimes vulnerable, no asspulls others sometimes outclass and overshadow them, they often need help and can't do everything on their own.
>Fred is a high school jock but with more depth to him.
>Daphne is just a trailer trash high school drop out with aspirations for modeling, but is not a bad person.
>Velma is a college egghead from old money that is too much into the occult and the mysteries they investigate, she is horrible at socializing.
>Shaggy is a adult stoner loser in a dead end job who often hangs out with his younger brother Fred he feels like he could do more with his life.
>Scooby and Scrappy's role are combined he is a puppy, the gang finds on a early adventure he is more like Ein from cowboy bebop. He reveals his true nature to Shaggy his owner and later to the gang.
>Have "guest stars" from inside the town and out. Someone changed due to their actions or some group keeping an eye on them, Daphne's boyfriend turned infected by a werewolf (permanently) etc.
>>
>>77965985
I apologize for not crediting folks, but i'm going take elements of what others suggested and toss it together.

>Gang is college age/fresh out of college (in Shaggy and Daphane's case namely)
>They do mysteries as a summer job/hobby, looking up rumors and taking jobs on the Internet
>Fred and Daphane are on and off lovers with lots of playful or sometimes stronger barbs
>try to keep the spirit of humor, nothing terribly vulgar but use the higher rating for some darker stuff.
>mysteries will sometimes turn out to be legit supernatural stuff or we'll never get a completely satisfying answer with the monster
>Bigger stories will have the gang delve into full on conspiracies
>Allows Scrappy and a few others to serve as recurring characters.
>>
>>77993277
This is almost the same premise as Mystery Team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Team
>>
>>77991974
most realistic idea yet, I want this
>>
Everyone calls Shaggy by his real name to piss him off
>>
>>77995708
Norville, Norville, Norville....
>>
>>77974635
>Grew up on the early run of Scooby Doo movies, Zombie Island through Cyber Chase
>Watching Mystery Inc. because heard it was good
>After a while I'm constant expecting the "it's real supernatural shit" twist
>They keep explaining away more and more ridiculous fucking shit with "lol ruse"
>Fred's house of traps somehow explains a pizza coming to life and being evil
>Finally in the last 2-3 episodes things get freaky

It was really taking me out of the story with the amount of shit they were pulling out of their ass for these mystery resolutions.
>>
DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>77974927
>Velma is a failed law student
Seems intriguing
>>
>>77991974
>SCOOBY IS DEEEEAAAADDDD
>>
Just make it a porno. Full-on penetration.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.