[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: OVERRATED CHARACTERS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 19
File: 1139474-uncanny522cover_02.jpg (414 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1139474-uncanny522cover_02.jpg
414 KB, 1000x1500
I'll start, Kitty Pryde
>>
Wolverine after the 90's

Once he started doing shit like regenerating form a single cell and it was over.
>>
Her and rogue.
>>
File: Mantis_new.jpg (151 KB, 442x442) Image search: [Google]
Mantis_new.jpg
151 KB, 442x442
Mantis
>>
>>77938591
I know I'm gonna rant, but, where the hell did all this fascination of Magik come from? It's like out of nowhere all these writers and artists just at the same time started fawning over her.

Where the hell did this all come from? Is it them trying to turn her into Marvel Raven?
>>
Harley
Squirrel Girl
Power Girl
Luke Cage
Beast
Batman
>>
Shazam
>>
>>77938626
why would they want Raven?
she sucks
>>
>>77938626
Given how poorly so many of the them write her, I think it's just lip service. Long range teleporters are the best friends of lazy writers.
>>
>>77938626
My guess would be her new outfit. When she wore the yellow shit, nothing, but now that they've whored he up in Emma-tier slutwear, they all come running (and fapping) and want her on their team
>>
Harley Quin x 10000000
>>
John Stewart.
>>
>>
File: I'm sorry I didn't catch that.jpg (105 KB, 266x698) Image search: [Google]
I'm sorry I didn't catch that.jpg
105 KB, 266x698
Pic related and Superman.
>>
>>77938626
New slut wear
She can be weak as a kitten and op as sentry fused with black bolt without needing to tweak much
no boyfriend so she free to be hooked up with someone
teleporting makes it easy for her to be where the plot needs her
Doesn't have enough fans to complain about how she is written
>>
File: 07.jpg (912 KB, 1280x1969) Image search: [Google]
07.jpg
912 KB, 1280x1969
EU Luke Skywalker.

It is not his place to crush entire armies in his 40's.
>>
File: kyle rayner.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2951) Image search: [Google]
kyle rayner.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2951
>>
>>77938888
I think a solid 95% of the John Stewart love is from the JLU cartoon, the rest are people who read some of his comics from back when he got to have a personality that was not planet-killing Marine.
>>
>>77939316
You mean his Scary Black Man archetype personality?

Remember that cringey comic where his psyche manifests as different african stereotypes?
>>
>>77939278
I just thought he didn't.. I dunno.. deserve to be that godly.
I mean everything was handed to him, by genetics and fate.

He hardly had to struggle, he was like Batman AND Superman, good at everything AND the most powerful being ever.

The power levels he and Palps exhibit are also ridiculous. What was the point of the Death Star if you could create black holes with you mind anywhere you wanted on the galaxy?
>>
>>77939923
Government funded fear tactic to keep senators and other important people in line.

Which is why they still blew up Alderaan.
Palps and Tarkin knew Bail was always against them, so they decided to blow up Alderaan as a show of force.
>>
>>77938491
Silk.
>>
>>77942726
How can she be overrated when almost no one likes her?
>>
>>77938626
She's sexy and better than Raven already

Black Panther is overrated as fuck
I don't get why everyone doesn't murk him real quick

>>77942726
and no she isn't. there's like 12 of us who like her and half(probably more) just for the hentai-lite
>>
Does anyone like Blue Marvel
like at all
>>
File: 1447834961342.png (2 MB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
1447834961342.png
2 MB, 2400x2400
>>77938591
You're not mah nigga.
>>
>>77942806
Ewing does.
>>
>>77942726
>Silk.

This thread is for overrated, not underrated.

Most of the time people who read her book have to remind everyone that she's actually not the horrifying Slott OC she began her existence as.
>>
>>77942935
The funny thing about that image is that it's completely wrong in tone since Magik was the one who created those uniforms for that team.
>>
>>77942935
She is overrated power wise, she never seems that impressive outside of limbo or dark child mode.
>>
>>77939292
From your powers combined! I AM CAPTAIN ...
>>
If I'm being Honest.
Reed Richards, he's stated to be the Smartest Human alive, and yet fucking nothing ever comes of it. Because of Status Quo, it undercuts any progress he makes.
Cure Cancer, too bad, it failed and made a monster now we have cancer again. Build Super A.I. to solve world problems, nope it went on a rampage and we're back to square one.

Super Intelligence is a power that doesn't work, because Intelligence and Science are about advancement, and Super either does so more rapidly than anything else. It causes either the writers to keep advancing everything else to keep up or they have to push everything back anytime a breakthrough is made.

For example, say Reed made a cure for cancer, then you have removed Cancer as a plot point, you can't have someone use that for motivation when a cure is already in play. Science is all about solving problems so they never return. Superheroes are about the same problems over and over.

One has to give. And it sucks that Intelligence gets lumped into, well eventually they turn evil and try to take over.
>>
Other than obvious shit like Harley Quinn -

People only like Purple Man because this board has a fuckton of people with rape and mind control fetishes.

Also the three Namorfags on this board are three too many

Squirrel Girl is the same joke over and over
>>
>>77938626
I rather feel that way about Jean, Emma and Psilock.
>>
File: a kind of magik.jpg (687 KB, 1106x1108) Image search: [Google]
a kind of magik.jpg
687 KB, 1106x1108
>>77938626
because they waifued her when they read the original New Mutants, wanted to write her but didn't know how to write her the same
>>
>>77938570
>Once he started doing shit like regenerating form a single cell and it was over.

That was the 00's, but that doesn't mean the 90s were any better.
>>
>>77943061
That's easy. Just make up a supervirus or something like that made by a supervillain.
the main problem is that given what they can already do, if their scientific ability was allowed to have an impact they would be able to nullify and replicate all types of superpowers and to grant them to everyone, making all superpowers aside from advanced reality warping completely pointless and average
>>
>>77938491
Can some tell me Kitty's personality without using the word "quirky" or "Jewish"?
>>
>>77943773
Judgmental cunt.
>>
>>77943773
Idealist kid who sees possibilities instead of having been beaten down by a world which hates and fears her kind.
>>
>>77943827
This.
>>
>>77943887
she was the self-insert for the readers
The X-Men world was weird and sometimes scary
and we saw it mostly through her perspective
Until superior New Mutants come along and she goes to Europe until a bunch of writers who fell in love with her as kids inserted her into their shitty stories
and she became a dues ex machina or on a political sopabox for the author
she was a cutie
and now she's a Mary Sue
but I admit
turning her into a bullet is a cool idea
>>
>>77943495
And this was before a demon took over her body? No wonder no one but Piotr noticed a change. She was always a crazy bitch.
>>
File: nmpage_19.jpg (519 KB, 916x1404) Image search: [Google]
nmpage_19.jpg
519 KB, 916x1404
>>77943994
no that was after.
she was 7 when she went to limbo.
In fact it was part of the plot that she kept getting more and more crazy as her demon side grew stronger, until inferno happen
>>
File: JguL8Pw.jpg (212 KB, 819x1200) Image search: [Google]
JguL8Pw.jpg
212 KB, 819x1200
>>77943946
>Until superior New Mutants come along and she goes to Europe until a bunch of writers who fell in love with her as kids inserted her into their shitty stories
and she became a dues ex machina or on a political sopabox for the author
>Claremont never used her as a soapbox
But that's wrong. She was always like she is now, the only difference is she's not 14 so she can't get away with going "WELL WHAT IF I CALLED YOU A NIGGER?" every time she gets into an argument.
>>
>>77944114
he called her a mutie, which in the marvel universe is a slur just like nigger chink and so on.
So in return she called him a nigger.It wasn't an answer to an argument, She answered an insult with another insult.
>>
>>77938591
Ill fight you irl punk.
>>
Batman, Hulk etc get treated like absolute powers far too often.
They get exaggerated so much there just is no tension left and you end up with only bullshit stories because the hero cannot conceivably be defeated.
>>
>>77944114
And she devolved to "boy I was in love with called rabbi worst anti-semitic comment ever, I won't even repeat it."
>>
There are no overrated characters
only overrated writers
>tips fedora
>>
>>77943946
Like most things X related recently I liked Kitty all the way up until Schism.
>>
>>77944345
What is different with her now that wasn't happening before Schism?
>>
File: nightwing.jpg (102 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
nightwing.jpg
102 KB, 600x600
>>77938491
>pic related

Also Harley Quinn, Wolverine, Power Girl, Starfire

Basically characters whose popularity derives from them being Mary Sues or fapbait.
>>
Strictly speaking from a gay community perspective.
No other homos I know will shut the fuck up about these two whenever I mention comics. It drives me crazy.
>>
File: batman 2.jpg (74 KB, 690x800) Image search: [Google]
batman 2.jpg
74 KB, 690x800
I defy you to find a more overrated character.
>>
>>77943946
>she was a cutie
she's still a cutie
>>
>>77944407
Its hard to pinpoint. Maybe AvX would be more accurate dumping Peter and then dressing down Emma in consequences. She gradually started acting like everyone mom.
>>
>>77944462
>Wolverine

I dont agree with popular being synonymous with overrated. Wolverine is an excellent character. My view is someone like Jean Grey with no real personality or identity. Who couldn't hope to drive a book on their own. Just a good costume and a small role in a good story that wasn't even about her.
>>
>>77944499
Didn't you read Astonishing? She was acting like everyone's mom there already. Whedon gave her that personality.
>>
File: 3017278-3.jpg (893 KB, 1602x1525) Image search: [Google]
3017278-3.jpg
893 KB, 1602x1525
>>77944195
You're referencing a different scene than I am, which is an easy mistake to make because she'd yell nigger all the time.

>>77944306
That's not a devolution of character. If anything it's a sign of maturity to not just go "Well, what if I called you a faggot?" when you're trying to be a spokesperson for equality, and we all know that it doesn't matter who the writer is and who the character is. Red Skull couldn't get away with calling someone a kike.
>>
File: 3455329-batmansupermangayyyyy.jpg (85 KB, 480x476) Image search: [Google]
3455329-batmansupermangayyyyy.jpg
85 KB, 480x476
>>77944488
Overrated means they don't deserve what they get. Batman deserves all of it
>>
>>77944604
No one took her seriously in Astonishing so it was endearing when she did it.
>>
>>77944615
Wasn't that just about her being mad she wasn't on the team anyway so she was acting flaky.
>>
>>77944615
so what is your problem with that scene?
>>
>>77944643
So it's only because people actually listen to her now? That sounds like you never liked her at all.
>>
Finn from AT

some people are acting as if they show would never become bad if it was always focusing on Finn which is bullshit, Finn largely exists so that we can explore the world through his eyes, once enough is established there's nothing wrong with focusing on Ice Kng or Bubblegum instead for a while

a lot of people just project own desire to get laid and some bizarre nostalgia boner for something not even a decade old and still ongoing over him, I think. That and the show was genuinely shitty during seasons 5 and 6 so the "if it was all about Finn again and he got laid it'd be amazing!" theory was born out of the mix of these two factors
>>
File: smug.png (3 MB, 1500x1200) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
3 MB, 1500x1200
>>77944782
No its about the sense of intent. In Astonishing she comes off genuine. There's a kind of naivete to it that makes it endearing because you feel like the motive behind it is selfless. So people kind of laughed it off or ignored her because it wasn't personal.
>>
>>77944974
It wasn't personal either anytime after AvX/Schism. She genuinely cares about the people she scolds. One could also argue that her still being naive at that point (especially after Mekanix) was bad writing for her.
>>
File: waaa.png (2 MB, 1190x1196) Image search: [Google]
waaa.png
2 MB, 1190x1196
>>77945033
Whether the characterization should be accurate or not. I don't care for her anymore because shes either being a preachy bitch, crying woe is me, or in full 40 yr old jew mom mode.
>>
>>77945458
Seems like you never cared for her as anything but a little kid who is cute when she gets angry but no one listens to her.
>>
>>77943827
So shes quirky and optimistic. Great.
>>
>>77946245
>>77943773
When has Kitty ever been quirky?
>>
>>77943827
She's not a kid anymore. She's 25.
>>
>>77946335

>Kitty's only 25

Fuck you
>>
File: QMAc0FX.jpg (182 KB, 999x622) Image search: [Google]
QMAc0FX.jpg
182 KB, 999x622
>>77946280
Back when she changed costumes more often than Wasp and codenames more often than Monica.
>>
I thought Kitty was busy fucking Starlord or something? How does she have time to be in so many different stories?
>>
>>77946395
that wasn't being quirky.that was her not being a cape
>>
>>77945458

That panel is her correctly calling out that band as being huge fucking idiots and dupes.

They literally stood aside and watched a band of supervillains from the future kick the shit out of the teenage X-Men.
>>
>>77946551
She doesn't. She is just fucking Starlord right now.
>>
>>77946808
What do you think quirky means, exactly?
>>
>>77947049
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/quirky
>Having or characterized by peculiar or unexpected traits or aspects
>Synonyms
>eccentric, idiosyncratic, unconventional, unorthodox, unusual, off-centre, strange, bizarre, weird, peculiar, odd, freakish, outlandish, offbeat, out of the ordinary, Bohemian, alternative, zany;
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.