[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't Buddy lose his mind when he finds out that he's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: dcmoment86b.jpg (91 KB, 600x940) Image search: [Google]
dcmoment86b.jpg
91 KB, 600x940
Why doesn't Buddy lose his mind when he finds out that he's a comic book character?
>>
>>77905482
Because Morrison didn't write him losing his mind.
>>
>>77905482
He kind of Did though, There was panel in JL that he explains plots and all
>>
>>77905589
Normally this is used as a lazy excuse for lazy writers, but here, it fits perfectly.
>>
Buddy eventually became a vegan monster-shaman of a pagan sex cult.

He kind of did.
>>
>>77905625
Oh so when Morrison does it it's alright huh?? Fucking Morrisonfags...
>>
File: metastential crisis.jpg (252 KB, 1381x545) Image search: [Google]
metastential crisis.jpg
252 KB, 1381x545
>>
>>77905727
It's more about context, in meta stories that excuse makes sense.
>>
>>77905703

>Buddy eventually became a vegan monster-shaman of a pagan sex cult.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>77905775
>Oh God... I'm important to the plot...

Kek.
>>
>>77905775
Holy shit, what's this from?
>>
>>77906083

JLA Annual #3.
>>
>>77905482
Is this the one with the coyote dying?
>>
>>77905482
As i recall he believes all that was a delusion bought on by his mental breakdown
>>
>>77905482
Cal Evans from Undergrads?
>>
I once did enough drugs to understand the Filth once.

Cough Syrup, vicoden Lexapro, and TCH [/spoiler
>>
>>77905727
He did it in a book where it suited the tone of the narrative and to explore the medium, while others usually do it for two reasons: either for cheap fourth wall breaking gag or to introduce some "suoer-insanity makes the Joker invincible!" bullshit. So yes, it's ok when Morrison does it with Buddy, but it's atrocious when applied to the usual suspects, like Joker, Harley or Deadpool.
>>
>>77908758

Didn't need any drugs to get it the first time. It's about the act of creation as seen by the created.
>>
>>77905482
Ultimately it doesn't change anything. The life he's lived still happened, the people he knows still exist, freaking out won't change anything.
>>
>>77908784
>"suoer-insanity makes the Joker invincible!"

That is dumb bullshit

Joker should be aware of his role as a comic chaacter, but rarely leans on the 4th wall because he's a proffesional and that's tacky. But he does know exactly what he is, even if he only remembers it when its convenient, and fucking loves it more than Bugs Bunny loves his schtick,(which, he should only very rarely remember that he knows this for a fact because he has coffee with Bugs at the WB offices when he's not in arkam, along with all the other most marketable characters,)

If Joker ever gets in a fight with the rules having the physiolgy of a Looney Toon, however, expect some Daffy Duck off his meds/Droopy Dog/Emperor Joker level bullshit.
>>
>>77909070

Goddammit, now I want to see Earth-0 Joker fight Captain Carrot.
>>
>>77905775
why is J'onn a gorilla ?
>>
File: Grant Morrison is displeased.jpg (12 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
Grant Morrison is displeased.jpg
12 KB, 284x177
>>77908802
>to get it the first time
>Getting a Morrison Story
>the first Time
>Getting the Filth on the first time.

You do not "Get" it as I got it. No first read could understand the entirety of a Morrison story, let alone one such as this.

You do not even begin to comprehend a Morrison story on the first run, and your comparison pales to the level of awareness I achieved in regards to this story.

I fully understood the true intentions and subetexts of every panel and line of dialog, every overarching theme and undercurrent.
Every visual symbol and juxtaposition, all was made clear.

The complex web of narrative and imagery were made lucid to me, in only a way that you could see after multiple reads of the story before, attempting to find the true nuance, and then... transcendence.

tl;dr At least read the story more than once before you claim to understand any Morrison work m8. Then a few more times, then you can begin to discus its themes at the level at the level of comprehension I once was able to attain.
>>
>>77905605
this. He almost fucking murders a guy cause he says it doesn't matter.
>>
>>77909303
dont you talk to me like that im an ex navy seal with over 300 confirmed kills
>>
>>77909119
Joker vs the Mask.
>>
File: Rokara Soh 2.jpg (75 KB, 526x469) Image search: [Google]
Rokara Soh 2.jpg
75 KB, 526x469
>>77905589
>>
>>77909303
prove it
>>
>>77909389

It's different. Captain Carrot is a literal cartoon character, after all.
>>
>>77909303
grant moronson pls go
>>
>>77909414
Just push the button
>>
>>77909434
I can't

Because I only briefly attained that level of knowledge. It was a fleeting moment of enlightemnent. A brief moment of Nirvana, i have not been able to get to since

That's why i phrased it as I did.

>level of comprehension I once was able to attain.
>Once able.

>narrative and imagery were made lucid to me
>were

Etc.

Past Tense.

I can't remember even a fraction fo what I knew then, but I did know it.

And i sure as fuck can't prove it any better than a rambling Morrison like non-explanation about my perception of a comic book.
>>
>>77909674
then you can't even be certain if your interpretations were valid and not just wild misunderstanding of the source material.
useless
>>
>>77908784
>to explore the medium
Not really, it was exploring the role of writer and character. Not something exclusive to comics
>>
File: Animal-Man_#32_p23.jpg (652 KB, 985x1538) Image search: [Google]
Animal-Man_#32_p23.jpg
652 KB, 985x1538
>>77905482
The following writer (Peter B Gillis) used his coma between his and Grant's runs as an opportunity to mind-wipe him.
>>
File: -001 copy (1).jpg (683 KB, 1000x1539) Image search: [Google]
-001 copy (1).jpg
683 KB, 1000x1539
>>77905482
>>77910477
Also, any memory splinters that have slipped through since he's rationalized as a dream.
>>
>>77909134
It's from JLApe. Grodd turned everyone into gorillas.
>>
>>77910477
wait, fuck no, not Gillis.
The Irish guy.
Shade man.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.