[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is The Long Halloween overrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: Batman_thelonghalloween.jpg (55 KB, 300x460) Image search: [Google]
Batman_thelonghalloween.jpg
55 KB, 300x460
Is The Long Halloween overrated?
>>
>Is [any Batman comic] overrated?
Yes.
>>
>>77862938
Even Morrison's?
>>
>>77863053
Yes.
>>
>>77862874

It's properly rated: God-tier Sale Art (the only comic I've seen drawn in that style that doesn't suck), pretty good Loeb writing, well stuck landing, but overall not as good as other stories. Excellent primer though.
>>
>>77862874
Yes. That Halloween is average length at best.
>>
>>77862874
It's a good story to recommend people who say "I like Batman, what could you recommend me?"
>>
>>77863053
Morrison's especially. I've never disliked a Batman comic like I disliked Morrison's run.
>>
>>77862874
Yes
>>
Sale's art isn't so bad but the writing is stupid.
>>
"It was competent and did the job, but didn’t really go above and beyond. I’m sure that this was one book that read better monthly in singles where the whole “Who is Holiday?” mystery could keep up the interest. In trade-form, though, it all goes by so fast that it isn’t nearly as engrossing as it should be. As well, the story is so sprawling as far as a cast goes, you never really get a chance to latch onto anyone. We’re supposed to feel for the Dents and I did — but just not as much as I feel I was supposed to. I’ve always thought that mystery stories work best when the narrative perspective is focused on one character — and Batman narrates the story, but we also get scenes that he didn’t witness. Imagine if, during one of Raymond Chandler’s novels, we suddenly got some scenes thrown in that Marlowe wasn’t present for. It would fuck up the story. Now, Loeb does do it consistently enough that it doesn’t become too much of a problem, but it took me out of the story at times. Tim Sale’s art is great and I loved the pages where Harvey Dent is knocked out and Sale’s layout on those pages."
>>
>>77862938
I disagree, No Man's Land is unknown as fuck, it's hardly ever talked about and the casual audience doesn't recognize it by name and completely dismiss it after its summed up for them.
>>
>>77863251
But muh Dickbats and Damian.
>>
>>77863555
a large part of my hate is muh Jason. I hated what he did with Jason. I didn't care for Pyg and Flamingo either.
>>
>>77863251
shit taste detected
>>
>>77863251
Morrison's run isn't really a batman comic, its a morrison comic with characters that kinda resemble batman characters
>>
>>77863700
I dropped Morrison's run after the flamingo issue
>sup commish? I know I'm not the Batman you usually deal with and this new very young Robin has been shot 5 times and paralysed, but don't mind us just take this pink faggot to jail.
>okely dokely
>>
>>77862874
Maybe a little, but it's still pretty awesome regardless.
>>
>>77862874

Yes. Art is great, the story is pretty stupid.
>>
>>77866242
Why do you read comics at all?
>>
>>77866357
I know right! fuck me for wanting consistent characterization
>>
>>77866392
Quite
>>
>>77866392
Seriously why read comics at all if you think that's -ever- going to happen. Enjoy each writer's take for what it is.

(also Gordon would basically do anything for anyone in a Batsuit, no matter who's writing him.)
>>
>>77866432
But you're wrong, have you read any of the batman stories written in the 20 years that preceded Morrison?
>>
>>77866432

Except he lost patience for Jean-Paul pretty quickly.
>>
>>77862874
Fuck yes.

Mostly the writing and plot suck.
>>
>>77866473
And told Bruce to go fuck himself during the NML
>>
>>77863529
It's also wildly inconsistent. You are right, though.
>>
>>77866494
And told Batman that if anything happened to Robin, he wouldn't hesitate in taking him down in Robin: Year One
>>
>>77866392
But in that comic Gordon figures out DickBats is Dick pretty quick, and he loves Dick, nevermind that Gordon only lost patience with Jean Paul after he really went off the deep end. What's the "consistent characterization" issue?
>>
>>77866534
The part about the paralysed ten year old he's never seen before dressed like robin
>>
>>77866567
Gordon has seen Damian before in RIP.
>>
>>77866601
That makes him not caring about Damian's being shot and paralysed ok then
>>
>>77866648
You sperg, Robins have been in rougher situations before without Gordon pitching a fit. Just admit you don't really read that many comics.
>>
>>77866661
>rougher situations than shot 5 times point blank and paralysed
other than Jason being beaten to death and blown up (which gordon didn't know about) no they haven't. Nigger, apparently I've read more batman than you.
>>
>>77866712
The way you're speaking it seems like Gordon would take Batman down after the Stephanie Brown fiasco. You might not like Grant's run, but your whole problem with Robin and weird expectations of Gordon make no sense.
>>
>>77866753
Did you even read war games?
>>
>>77866814
Yeah I didn't think so, let me clear a few things up for you champ.
A.) Steph was not working with Batman, she was fired from being Robin a few months back for being a fuck up and explicitly told by Batman not to return to crime fighting. In fact the entire plot of war games only happened because Steph was a fuck up that was in way over her head
B.) Gordon was retired Akins was Commisioner
C.)Akins had already put an order out to shoot all capes on sight before Steph even died
So why don't you go back to slurping Morrison's cock, and I'll go back to "not reading comics"
>>
>>77863110
>pretty good Loeb writing
This is amazing in itself.
>>
>>77866814

That was shit.
>>
>>77866648

He was shot and paralyzed AFTER Flamingo you fucking idiot.

>>77866753
this
>>
>>77866480
The art is YMMV as well
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.