[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can one fully appreciate this man's work without indulging
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 475x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 475x500
Can one fully appreciate this man's work without indulging in psychedelic drugs?

As a drug virgin other than the occasional Marijuana injection, I say yes.
>>
>>77858105
I've never done any drugs in my life and I can fully appreciate Morrison's work for what they truly are and amount to...
>>
I need to concentrate on his work. I can't concentrate when I'm on drugs.
>>
i read the filth on mushrooms once

good times
>>
He hasn't done drugs since the 90's so I'd say yes. That being said, his early comics are definitely enhanced by whatever drug he was using at the time. Peyote for Animal Man, shrooms for Doom Patrol, every drug know to man for Invisibles.
>>
>>77858282
>He hasn't done drugs since the 90's so I'd say yes.
wut
source
>>
>>77858105
I've smoked a fair amount of pot given to me by stoner friends. Stoners try really hard to get you high if you're nice to them.

Despite that, only really got high once. All it did for me was make even the shittiest greentext screencap fucking hilarious for about 6 hours.

Overall I'd rate weed a 5/10, dropped in favor of alcohol.
>>
>>77858397
but hangovers tho
>>
>>77858397
>tfw all yr stoner friends smoke you out for free for being a cool dude
>tfw you don't even smoke weed on your own and don't even have to buy it
free drugs are cool
>>
>>77858345

>Around the turn of the century, Morrison had his fill of madness. He cooled it on the drugs ("9/11 happened, and you can't be a globetrotting psychedelic anything anymore") and married Kristan Anderson, a corporate insurance broker who dressed like Barbarella. They split their time between the town house, Morrison's Nineties home base, and a house in the countryside.
>>
>>77858105

I'm a complete straight-edge and he's still one of my favorite comic writers.

I credit Animal Man with getting me into comics in the first place.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 250x239) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 250x239
>>77858473
>it's a bragpost
>>
>>77858246
Fuck i dont know if i could do that, i get really depressed whenever i read it, but end up really uplifted at the end. Very therapeutic.
>>
I tripped acid to Final Crisis once.

It made perfect sense.
>>
>>77858685
It makes perfect sense sober if you're not an idiot

>sour grapes lol
>>
>>77858430
You don't get hangovers if you;
1. Know your limits and pace yourself.
2. Take breaks from knocking back shots to sip a glass of water.

>>77858473
I know that feel bro.
>>
>>77858282
Nah, he wrote Animal Man, Arkham Asylum, and most of Doom Patrol completely straight-edge. If I recall, only the Insect Mesh storyline was aided by mushrooms.
>>
You can appreciate anything, anon, you just have to have the imagination.
>>
>>77859014
Also weed is really good for hangovers.
>>
File: Laughing_Rogues.jpg (120 KB, 985x344) Image search: [Google]
Laughing_Rogues.jpg
120 KB, 985x344
>He doesn't mix all the drugs he can together with reasonable safety or not depending on how fucked up he is
>>
>>77858478
>cooled it on the drugs
I interpret that as he stopped getting fucked up all the time. His book talks of smoking straight hash, drinking champaign every night, and doing serious psychedelics often. He's still be able to take more than most and still "cool it." Also it sounded like in the first Fatman on Batman interview he was smoking weedstuff with Smith.
>>
>>77858105
>Marijuana injection
What the fuck? Maybe I'm behind on tbe times here, but explain please.
>>
>>77858105
I don't believe I've ever read a comic on drugs.

I remember looking at some art books on acid (those "Modern Masters" ones with the interviews), but I tend not to get any strong hallucinations while on acid, so it wasn't, like, trippy or anything, it was just like reading a book. Except I couldn't stop laughing every 30 seconds.
>>
>>77862801
>hasnt injected a marijuana before
>>
File: gci9fqi7ptdvk74ajy3x.jpg (77 KB, 800x1205) Image search: [Google]
gci9fqi7ptdvk74ajy3x.jpg
77 KB, 800x1205
>>77858478

>A corporate insurance broker who dressed like Barbarella

Drugs, a sexy sci-fi wife, magical powers, a castle in Scotland, successful and respected comic book career... The man has everything I've ever wanted in life. Except a respectable father figure, he didn't really have that either.
>>
>>77858246

I was on mushrooms when I first read Ultra Comics. That was awesome.
>>
File: 1448132181358.jpg (766 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1448132181358.jpg
766 KB, 1000x1333
>>77864269
I only managed to get drugs and minor magical powers so far, but I'm still relatively young compared to him.
>That father figure comment.
I didn't ask for this feeling.
>>
>>77862801
It's a meme making fun of retarded soccer moms and DARE teens, who spout bullshit like "My friend injected 14 marijuanas and died of an overdose".

Speaking of memes and Morrison: Memesmiths should be hunted down if any ever existed for real.
>>
>>77866858
Mayo
>>
>>77858105
Comics are best when read stoned
>>
The drugs're a red herring

I've go' a mate who does ev'ry drug under the sun an neither 'im or or any of 'is stoner mates can remember anythin' worth reportin' while under the influence [tho' thery've got a whole lot o' hellish stories about gettin ripped off or nearly murdered]

Conversely I know a lot o' people who've undergone exactly the sort o' stuff in Grant's comics an' they an' their senpai'lies're basket cases undergoin' psychiatric treatment

I'd almost stake money on it Grant's what for millennia they've called in the Far East a divine madmen 'oo prob'ly 'ad weird experiences as a kid an' would've had them as an adult even if 'e 'adn' taken drugs

The drugs may even've been 'is copin' mechanism ie "Not only're these experiences not real bu' the only reason I'm 'avin' 'em's 'cause I've jus' swallowed a sack load o' kit!"
>>
>>77858105
yes. i mean it's like Alex Grey's work - never done drugs but it speaks to me.
>>
>>77864269
I dunno. From what I've heard in interviews, his dad was a soldier turned anarchic anti-government spy due to how morally degenerate he saw war as following his tour. That's pretty fucking cool if you ask me.
>>
>>77877252

His dad basically defined every neurosis he has and filled him with terror that they were going to be bombed at literally any moment.
>>
>>77879371
>neurosis
but you have to be neurosis free (ie a normalshit) to benefit from psychedelics.

>inb4 anecdotal evidence to the contrary
>>
>>77879839

What? What are you talking about?
>>
give back 2 minutes of my life morrisonplebs
>>
>>77862685
All that stuff is shit he did before the early 2000's. The champagne in particular was something he mentioned when he was really successful after Arkham Asylum.

He very specifically even says in the book he got off all drugs altogether at a certain point.

In that podcast, it's Smith smoking pot. He makes sure that the audience can hear his bong because stoner retards are his biggest moneymaker, he does it in every podcast. If you listen in fact, you can kind of tell there's a certain level of awkwardness as Smith keeps ripping and Grant is still talking. There isn't even a chance for him to take a hit because The whole thing is almost purely Morrison talking (which is good because Smith usually can't stop making everything about himfuckingself).

I can't recall specifically but I seem to remember him even turning down drinks at one point.
>>
>>77880763
idiot
>>
Goodbye 4chan.
>>
>>77889568
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>77879371
That wasn't his father, that was a general feeling of growing up in the Cold War. There was a general dread and fear in that time that the bombs could drop at any time.

Morrison also grew up right near Britain's nuclear sub base, so he lived next to a prime target.
>>
>>77890061

He specifically mentions in Supergods his father when he talks about it
>>
>>77858473
>>77858397
Good pot is great for something funny and, sometimes, depending on the quality, some surreal stuff. Generally Morrison can be surreal at times, but he doesn't really go for the kind of humor that I'm thinking of here (Spaceballs, for example, or something like Borat, etc.).
>>
File: lex luthor downloading 40 cakes.gif (399 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
lex luthor downloading 40 cakes.gif
399 KB, 320x180
>>77858105

He's fine as long as you don't let him into your pantry.
>>
>>77905989
reported
>>
>>77890061
Its a big part of flex
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.