[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So... Just started season two, and I'm a bit worried that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 86
File: wac.jpg (133 KB, 1637x929) Image search: [Google]
wac.jpg
133 KB, 1637x929
So... Just started season two, and I'm a bit worried that the show will turn TOO much into what destroyed the storyline of Static Shock. I love the character of Connie, but if she becomes a fighter, and begins fighting with Steven... To me it sort of detracts and interferes with the pure story.

The same thing happened to Static Shock, once his stupid friend made himself a suit and started fighting alongside Static, it really ruined the show.

So, no spoilers...but...TELL ME THIS DOESN"T HAPPEN
>>
>>77836945
Pure story? What are you even talking about? Connie has been in the show since the beginning. It's not like she was just tacked on.

More importantly, fighting isn't even the major part of the show.
>>
>>77836945
are you a retard? she literally exists just to be the other half of stevonnie
>>
>>77836945
>So, no spoilers...but...TELL ME THIS DOESN"T HAPPEN
There's only really been one episode since then where Connie has more than a minute of screen time.
>>
It's probably going to happen in some capacity, but there are two important things to consider.

First, the show barely has any fight scenes, so it's not like she'll become a constant presence on all their adventures. This just gives her an excuse to be there for the big climax of S2.

Second, a Stevonnie fusion battle scene using the sword and shield simultaneously will be the coolest shit.
>>
>>77837036
yea the other half that's moral support, or but her jumping into battle with Steven just seems like a cheap way to add action and "danger"

>>77837024
And what are you talking about, Static Shock's friend was there from the beginning as well, but then suddenly in season 3 or so, he invents super powers and begins fighting, even though he's a complete nerd. Made no sense and killed the story.

I love connie's book wormish, smart, and support character...she just can't become a battle hardened vet to leap into danger
>>
>>77836945
You're kidding, right? Steven has NEVER been a capable warrior. Not that Static was much of one either, but he got by.
Gear was kind of annoyingly introduced, but he got better. It's just the show got worse
>>
File: heartglassprint.png (227 KB, 720x933) Image search: [Google]
heartglassprint.png
227 KB, 720x933
>>77837100

Her transformation has already begun. She will become his sword. Any type of relationship they could've had was an illusion.
>>
>>77837100
>And what are you talking about, Static Shock's friend was there from the beginning as well, but then suddenly in season 3 or so, he invents super powers and begins fighting, even though he's a complete nerd. Made no sense and killed the story.
It's capeshit. It's not supposed to make sense.

And I doubt Connie would ever be put into a situation more dangerous than what Steven is put in. The gems only allow Steven to be involved in actual fights when they are around to save him if he is in any real trouble.

Also Steven can always heal her.
>>
>>77837273
But that's just it...I don't want the show to turn INTO capeshit

(even though I take offense to this term...I'm a big Marvel/DC "Capeshit" fan)
>>
>>77837100
Connie now has Rose's sword. Steven has her shield. I don't think she'll be in a lot of eps but they are starting to showcase their teamwork and if the show continues into Steven's teenage year you can bet she's gonna be fighting more often.
>>
>>77836945
>>77837100
How is this even remotely the same as Static Shock? The Static writers pulled Richie getting superpowers out of their ass. Connie receiving sword training, like everything else on the show, was planned and aims to further develop her character and role in the story.
>>
>>77837379
Like I said, they put Steven into combat situations with no experience. At least they are training Connie first.
>>
File: SnC.jpg (174 KB, 1607x906) Image search: [Google]
SnC.jpg
174 KB, 1607x906
>>77837494
heh...fair enough...
>>
>>77836945
It kind of does happen but like >>77837024 said the fighting is not that important especially with these two. Plus I think warrior/action couples tend to share the spotlight better then Bros/Bffs.
>>
>>77837424

I kinda want the sword to go back to Steven. Not that I don't think Connie should have, but it'd be nice if Pearl gave Connie one of her swords as symbolic of her stepping out of "muh Rose" and becoming a stronger mentor in her own right.
>>
>>77836945
I'm not a fan of it either. I would like it better, if she was the anchor Steven has to his human side apart from his dad.
When she should start doing gem stuff she would lose that purpose.
Also i can't see how she would ever gain the skill of thousand year old warriors with superstrenth.
>>
>>77838924
That would be nice. But Steven gave Connie her sword and that kinda symbolizes that they are equals to each other now. What I'm getting from the writers is that they don't want Connie to be the Pearl to Steven's Rose. They want them to work together as partners and individuals.
>>
This kinda snuck up on me too.

Bright side is, they'd probably only go into battle together as Stevonnie. I wouldn't worry too much about Connie/Steven tagteam duo crap... I hope not, at least.
>>
>Disgusting conniefags who want her in the show even more.
>>
>>77837494
well, steven's powers make him a bit harder to be killed
>>
>>77840028
>not wanting more delicious brown loli
They should just kill stephen off and replace with connie.
>>
>>77840972
Connie a big shit. Steven is an A-rank character while Connie is below Lars, Sadie, and Ronaldo.

Steven's only flaw is his bad taste in girls.
>>
>>77841011
Connie a best. Shitven a wurst.
>>
>>77841011
Connie is a cute! A CUTE!
>>
Dawg you can't just be comparing Steven Universe with Static Shock. Connie's role in the show has been a gradual and subtle change, because the SU writers can handle subtlety.

Static Shock was not a subtle show. Dad-racism, gun ethics, that was good writing, but not subtle. Subtlety is what makes SU.
>>
>>77836945
It hasn't happened yet, at least.

Honestly, I'm more surprised you complaint wasn't about muh fusion, since that seems to be the go-to complaint of Season 2.
>>
>>77838924
Rose's sword - or fusing with Steven - is the only thing she's got going for her in a real fight, though. It's clearly magical and shit. She's a kid and she doesn't have super strength or gem magic, someone like Jasper would turn her into a fine pink mist.
>>
>>77836945
The pure story is about Steven's life and relationships. Connie is an important relationship. There's no detraction here.
>>
>>77843048
She totally kicked ass in Nightmare Hospital though. Obviously thy're building towards them fusing for battle, but they made an awesome team against the fusion creatures.
>>
>>77843048
Rose's sword looks pretty heavy man and in the opening she carries it with one hand. Pearl must make her do weights.
>>
>>77843068
Yeah, but they weren't that big a threat. If she's going to fight Homeworld Gems or the equivalent she needs an edge. It might be giving her one already, we don't know how tough the gem monsters would be to cut with a regular blade.
>>
>>77836945
Fighting isn't the top priority for SU, so the most we might get from warrior Connie is being a part of some great final battle which will happen offscreen for the most part and will be resolved by Steven defeating Yellow Diamond with the power of friendship or something. Don't worry, anon.
>>
File: 496ee7_5515126.jpg (255 KB, 1229x819) Image search: [Google]
496ee7_5515126.jpg
255 KB, 1229x819
>>77843068
Connie get her fencing skills to quick. It was just one episode of training and now she killing gem abominations without any problems.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>77843172
One montage*
Who knows how long she was training for?

I hope Stevonnie was a one off thing and doesn't appear again.
>>
>>77836945
>To me it sort of detracts and interferes with the pure story.
Not all the episodes that have nothing to do with the main plot whatsoever, no, it's Connie that detracts from the story.

You sound stupid and you should feel stupid.
>>
File: Fish.png (70 KB, 297x249) Image search: [Google]
Fish.png
70 KB, 297x249
>>77836945
>These threads are just an excuse to start a "discussion" that'll slip into a coma enticing amount of shitposting
>>
>>77837036
>>77837095
So, there's going to be hentai?
>>
>>77837463
Actually, Connie being a sword fighter was written on the spot.
>>
>>77836945
>>>/trash/
>>
>>77844731
>Actually, Connie being a sword fighter was written on the spot.
Lion 2?
>>
>>77844791
That wasn't canon.
>>
>>77844791
What about it?
>>
File: 1447534254830.png (230 KB, 599x550) Image search: [Google]
1447534254830.png
230 KB, 599x550
I'm just wondering when they'll do a scene with Stevonnie wielding Rose's Sword and Shield.
>>
File: 1448136752876.jpg (9 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
1448136752876.jpg
9 KB, 342x342
>Static Shock
Why would you think that anyone would care about your Awful WBKids Show?
>>
>>77844842
They won't. Stevonnie will just use her dick.
>>
If you ask me, Static Shock was killed by the status quo. Sure his friend gets Gear and that was kind of silly/unnecessary, but other than that it's the same three recurring villains, the same corporate shadow governments. The same "will his family find out he's Static or won't they" over and over and over.

Freaks of the week are great for world building and exploring the dynamics of the characters you created, but a series cannot live on bread alone.

If anything Steven Universe has been going the exact opposite and making the show increasingly sequentially-driven. And it's definitely possible to go too far in this direction: arcs are great, but after a point it becomes like a Soap Opera and it becomes more about the comings and goings of popular characters than it does about the world.
>>
>>77844993
Didn't SS eventually get absorbed into the DCAU and suddenly you had Green Lantern and Batman coming to North Dakota?

And that all just sweeps under the rug that earlier reference to DC just being comics in the SS universe originally.
>>
>>77845079
Yeah, Static makes some nice appearances in the DCAU at large. And the DCAU make some... rather bizarre uninspired appearances in Static Shock. It really makes you contemplate what could have been. Static's a great character, but the show is kind of lame.
>>
>>77836945
Man the thumbnail made me think someone edited a Jason mask on her.
>>
>>77844993
>If anything Steven Universe has been going the exact opposite and making the show increasingly sequentially-driven. And it's definitely possible to go too far in this direction: arcs are great, but after a point it becomes like a Soap Opera and it becomes more about the comings and goings of popular characters than it does about the world.
And that is why SU will forever be shit.
>>
>>77845441
To be fair, that sword was shit.
>>
File: 1443327914830.png (271 KB, 630x1350) Image search: [Google]
1443327914830.png
271 KB, 630x1350
I guess here is a good place to ask. Does anyone have the image of Amethyst cat eating spaghetti? I think she's being fed by Garnet. I need it for a reaction image. Here's another favorite image of mine in payment.
>>
>>77845150

The real problem is that focusing heavily on a continuous narrative doesn't please network execs who want something that can be run in random order. If they had a release schedule like a Netflix show where it gets released in blocks it would be fantastic, but as it stands the shift to a more narrative driven focus is causing a decline in reruns and making some folks complain about the slow pace of the story while others complain that episodes now need to be viewed in a stricter order and are less self contained. If you can separate the real world constrictions from the content the story is fantastic, but some folks just aren't capable of that.
>>
>>77836945
Oh don't worry, there's no action in SU.

That's why I hate it.
>>
>>77845570
Literally Reddit: The Post.
>>
>>77845601
This. Why can't SU be more action packed? They promised action.
>>
>>77845649
Action implies people getting hurt, and that's bad!
>>
>>77845560
>lapis will never force you to take it from her
>>
>>77845692
Have you even fucking watched the show?
>>
>>77845698
... What? Is this some newfangled meme, or is it just shitposting?
>>
>>77845570
The only reason you value religious sequentiality is because you're a weeb who was raised on shonen anime and yet somehow didn't look close enough to realize that that was their fatal flaw. If you have a concise and predetermined story like Over the Garden Wall it's fine but when you have more time to work with then you have to divide your work into individual stories or at least attempt an epic. SU is neither (although I certainly wouldn't call SU completely sequential, even now).

Stories have beginnings and ends. If you like impromptu rambling then I'm sure your granpa has some stories to tell.
>>
>>77845793
>If you like impromptu rambling then I'm sure your granpa has some stories to tell.

MY GRANDPARENTS ARE DEEAAAAAAD
>>
>>77845793

At least you put a little effort in, but you make it clear you just dislike the show for reasons of personal taste rather than objective flaws. Don't bother trying to sound smart if you can't even put together some concrete points.
>>
I hope she turns into a talking sword steven relies on for advice and she can swing herself around. People will want to fuck it , she will literally become his sword, it will be hilarious.
>>
>>77836945
Does Connie takes the poo to the loo?
>>
File: peri braces.png (112 KB, 611x699) Image search: [Google]
peri braces.png
112 KB, 611x699
They should just get rid of Connie and replace her with Peridot.
>>
>>77843135
No. No I won't.
>>
>>77836945
It hasn't actually fully happened yet, but it is bound to, but it's gradual and it doesn't ruin her character.

I mean, it doesn't ruin it in the sense that those who hate her still hater her and those who like her still like her.
>>
The part of /sug/ simulator v is taking forever to come.
>>
File: WE LOOK AWESOME.png (671 KB, 1221x687) Image search: [Google]
WE LOOK AWESOME.png
671 KB, 1221x687
>>77840937
But he didn't have full control over his powers. I'd say Connie going through weeks or months of training before tagging along on a relatively easy mission is at very least comparable to letting Steven tag along before he had gone through any training and had only demonstrated his powers once or twice.

What I'm really trying to say is that the Crystal Gems are horribly irresponsible.
>>
>>77848486
It better have those times those two guys died.
>>
>>77836945
You should be far more concerned with the increasing focus on progressive themes. Sword fighting Steveonnie was obvious to anyone with a brain as soon as they revealed Steven could fuse with Connie.
>>
>>77844820
What the fuck? The only episode that isn't canon is Say Uncle. They even reference Lion 2 in Sworn to the Sword. Stay delusional.
>>
>>77848784
>with the increasing focus on progressive themes.
>MUH AGENDA
Fuck off.

Having progressive theme has never been an issue. The issue is when it serves to cover a lack of actual good story telling.

Have we really reached the point where /co/ get triggered when a show dare to imply "please be nice with everyone, m'kay?"
>>
File: season 2 garnet.png (10 KB, 517x309) Image search: [Google]
season 2 garnet.png
10 KB, 517x309
>>77845735
Not him, but I'm a big fan of the show and have been keeping up with it since the beginning. Action sequences have taken a nosedive since the finale of Season 1 and they've moved their focus on feelings and crying with nothing to break it up.
>>
>>77848832
>Have we really reached the point where /co/ get triggered when a show dare to imply "please be nice with everyone, m'kay?"
Yes.
>>
>>77848860
What about like the last 5 episodes?
>>
File: 1444682890574.png (772 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444682890574.png
772 KB, 1920x1080
Please kill Connie off and let the age of Stevidot begin

Also the show doesn't showcase Garnet's booty enough
>>
>>77848927
They poofed Peridot and ever since then there was like, that time in the Kindergarten when they got attacked by stupid looking gem mutants and that sequence lasted 20 seconds atleast. All the last 5 episodes have been about is Peridot triggering each of the Crystal Gems with her homeworld intolerance.
>>
>>77848993
What about with the giant robots and the drill?
>>
>>77849034
The sequence where Robots actually fought lasting for two minutes and the entire episode was about Pearl trying to prove herself as more than a servant i aint no slave massa and the part with the drill lasted for 30 seconds at the most, the entire episode being about Amethyst being triggered because Peridot was real and told her that she was defective, made even worse by the fact that she was laughing along with Peridot as she shit on everyone else. The show is really getting bad.
>>
>>77849126
Hopefully Yellow Diamond is coming to rescue Peridot and destroy those crystal clods.
>>
>>77849126
Why is that a bad thing though? It called character development anon.
>>
>>77849181
Why does it have to be fucking boring though?
>>
>>77843135
It's posts like this that make hate everything even more
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 640x400
>peri broadcasts from "abandoned crystal system colony"
>we
>are the
>>
am i the only one who is pretty much ok with all the decisions this show makes
>>
>>77849248
Were you ok with Sadie's Song?
>>
>>77849248
No, most people have opinions.
>>
>>77849248
>am i the only one
No, nobody is ever the only one to think anything. Fuck off child.
>>
>>77849198
It's not. That's an opinion.
>>
>>77849271
> implying tumblr whales can run
>>77849198
I don't find it boring personally.
>>
>>77849272
yeah it didn't bother me.
what i really meant was i haven't seriously disliked anything that has happened so far. doesn't mean i can't imagine how the show could be better, but it's not my show so whatever. how could you be seriously offended by it anyway?
>>
I love Steven but him fighting has never been something I really cared about. I like seeing how he befriends and protects everybody

Connie looks good with a sword. She's agile and technical, a natural fencer. Steven's a shield n' heal kinda guy. They make a good team. Stevonnie will become a force to be reckoned with as they each hone their abilities. They might even be able to take on a crystal gem within a season or two at this rate.
>>
>>77849387
The most overused and annoying tween figure of speech of all time.
>>
Hey, /co/

I work for Turner Broadcasting in Atlanta and make it my duty to be as nosy as possible during lunch and water cooler breaks. Sometimes I take a stroll into departments that aren't mine and make friends. Word on the street is that you'll have your gay rocks back a week or two after the new year.

:)
>>
>>77849248
I am too. It's all been entertaining and the development is great
>>
>>77849426
I wish I could believe you
>>
File: 1447959327338.png (134 KB, 452x670) Image search: [Google]
1447959327338.png
134 KB, 452x670
>>77849426
If you're legit, thanks for the info, but it's still a long-ass wait.
>>
>>77849426
I want to habeeb it
>>
>>77849426
It's pretty believable since the show coming back in January is already probable, and you said Turner instead of just CN in general. HYPE?
>>
File: fusion dancing2.png (409 KB, 1000x721) Image search: [Google]
fusion dancing2.png
409 KB, 1000x721
>>77836945
I just really want Steven to not just have Connie as fusion partner in battles. I want to see him fuse with the other Gems for combat situations too. I've nothing against Connie, I just really want to see Steven's other fusions.
>>
File: shirt.png (69 KB, 505x623) Image search: [Google]
shirt.png
69 KB, 505x623
>>77849752
I want Connie to not be in the show.
Peridot's better!
>>
>>77849426
>Word on the street is that you'll have your gay rocks back a week or two after the new year.
This isn't news or exciting. Everyone basically expected this anyway. A real story would be a surprise December Steven Bomb.
>>
>>77849842
I understand that Connie will have a role in the show, but I don't want Steven to only fuse with her, that is just a complete waste of potential.
>>
>>77849913
It likely won't happen if they keep up the sexual overtones of fusion.
>>
Connie shows up about as often as she always does. She's not stealing the spotlight or anything and is no more important now than she used to be really but she DOES learn to fight and she is shown fighting.

My only worry is that this is taking the story in an extremely obvious direction of big bad defeated by Stevonnie, and we're all just waiting for it to happen.
>>
Steven/Peridot fusion WHEN
>>
>>77849842
poopydot is shit
>>
>>77849929
Steven fusing with the Gems doesn't have to be sexual or romantic, it can be completely platonic. And the Gems did already try to fuse with him at the beginning of Alone Together, so the Gems likely doesn't have a problem over fusing with him.
>>
>Connie is fighting with Steven
>she attempts to fight a large gem
>she is immediately killed
>yfw
>>
File: 1447415740035.png (2 MB, 1420x2335) Image search: [Google]
1447415740035.png
2 MB, 1420x2335
>>77850000
I think we're more likely to see a Steven/Pearl fusion first, considering we've already seen Rose and Pearl fusing.
>>
>>77849961
>My only worry is that this is taking the story in an extremely obvious direction of big bad defeated by Stevonnie, and we're all just waiting for it to happen.
I don't see how that's a worry.

If anything that sounds pretty hype.
>>
>>77849929
Fusion is based on all relationships...it just so happens the two groups of gems we meet have sexual overtones with theirs.

I can wait for a couple of normal minded gems to call them out on that shit and fuse like legit friends.
>>
>>77850070
I'd rather see Steven defeating or dealing with the last enemy by himself.
>>
File: Butters.png (80 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
Butters.png
80 KB, 500x372
>>77850034
>>
File: neutral.jpg (24 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
neutral.jpg
24 KB, 500x382
>>77850034
>>
>>77850086
You realize that goes against the whole theme of the show right. We're in "No man is an island" territory here.
>>
>>77849426
Considering I vaguely have a connection to a Turner Broadcasting exec in Atlanta I highly doubt you
>>
File: 53b.gif (511 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
53b.gif
511 KB, 360x270
>>77850034
>>
>>77850070
Outside of the fact that it downplays Steven's individual importance, it's mostly just the obviousness of it that's dull to me. Like there's knowing a little bit of a story like the fact that homeworld gems would arrive on earth soon, but this is being told how it ends, and everything before that point now is just waiting for it to happen.
>>
>>77850186
It really wasn't that obvious, you just heard the theory so much that you took it for granted as a given.

Like knowing Garnet is a fusion. Yet for all the people who figured it out, Jailbreak was still amazing. You're caught up in concepts when in reality you have no idea how that concept will be executed.
>>
>>77850228
I just find Connie a boring character, and I wish they wouldn't give her any more relevance than she already has.
>>
>>77836945
she is the most annoying mary sue ever and just a self insert for the tumblr viewer
>shes an incredibly smart weaboo poc that is a bookworm but also strong and fearless at the same time
>the mc is fucking useless until she consoles him to unlock his hidden powers
she makes korra look like citizen kane
if anyone thinks this good writing go kill yourself
>>
File: 1426821288184.gif (887 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
1426821288184.gif
887 KB, 450x338
>>77850264
Well too fucking bad for you then, nobody's going nowhere without the power of love, bitches.
>>
File: 1431132449531.png (313 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1431132449531.png
313 KB, 500x500
>>77850267
>the mc is fucking useless until she consoles him to unlock his hidden powers
I'm sure glad you're here to complain about things that don't happen.
>>
>>77850228
You could know that Garnet was still a fusion and not know how that story was going to go down though. Like I didn't think she was going to fight Jasper 1 on 2 in the end there and I definitely didn't see Jasper herself trying to fuse coming.

Garnet being a fusion was at least a little well hidden though. Everyone and their mom knows Stevonnie fighting is going to be the big card and they keep flashing it to us. They recently reminded us of her in an episode right after showing Connie learning sword fighting, made a big deal out of them fighting together, and the moment they shoehorn Connie into whatever big event is coming up, we all know she was dragged along for that reason and that reason alone.
>>
>>77850361
They already shoehorned her in Ocean Gem and she didn't add anything to the team apart from not making Steven ride Lion alone.
>>
>>77850361
>Like I didn't think she was going to fight Jasper 1 on 2 in the end there
But you're 100% sure Stevonnie is going to fight one single "big bad" even though that concept isn't totally consistent with the ideas behind the overall story?

Maybe you should wait until the last season actually comes before you complain about its direction.
>>
>>77843110
Sadie killed a gem monster with a sharp stick. I think their durability is really variable.
>>
File: char-m up.png (96 KB, 492x543) Image search: [Google]
char-m up.png
96 KB, 492x543
>>77850267
>>
>>77850147
just "you're wrong"? no info of your own to counter theirs?
>>
>>77850413
They had an excuse there because when they were making that episode, it was uncertain whether it was going to be the LAST episode. They were actually willing to end the show with the introduction of Lapis. Can you imagine.
>>
>>77850524
>your show literally has a 24/7 general on the /trash/ board
even gravity falls general gets to stay here
the bar is that low and you still can't pass it
>>
File: 1418846853337.jpg (44 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1418846853337.jpg
44 KB, 400x386
>>77850648
>a 24/7 general on the /trash/ board
This will never not be funny. Going to a board literally called trash filled with furry and pony porn just to discuss lesbian rock aliens.
>>
>>77850267
>Being this vicarious about things you hate
>>
>>77850648

SU is lucky. Now that mods ar on the same page we get to have specific discussion threads and most of the shitposters are kept off board. Having a general is not a good thing. Even threads like this, which are kept alive by shitposters for trolling purposes, are still more substantive than any general because you can find honest opinions and discussion.
>>
>>77850419
All I'm saying is when that either mid season finale or finale of this season comes and Coonie happens to be dragged along, I called it. The crystal gems will be taken out of the fight for one reason or another, and it'll be up to Stevonnie to save the day with some crazy sword and shield skills.
>>
I was hoping Steven would take up Rose's sword as a way of symbolically inheriting her legacy, but nah. Gotta keep every male on the show a completely pussy.
>>
>>77850586
I didn't know that. Source?
>>
>>77850954
>All I'm saying is when that either mid season finale or finale of this season comes and Coonie happens to be dragged along, I called it.
Everyone called it, that's not the point I was making.

You can know the concept but not the execution. You're just listing off really vague events but you don't REALLY know what's going to happen and how it's going to happen. Stop setting yourself up for disappointment and learn how to enjoy a ride, god damn.
>>
File: corrupted gems.jpg (407 KB, 792x1018) Image search: [Google]
corrupted gems.jpg
407 KB, 792x1018
>>77850770
the show is just that good, i guess
>>
>>77850968

What an idiot. In case all the symbolism wasn't overt enough for you, her shield is her true weapon and what Steven inherited. Her sword is merely an object taken up for war, in all other ways Steven is following in her footsteps.
>>
>>77851085
No, Rose was a competent military commander. Her sword was a tool of war, and the fact that Steven, a complete and utter naive child, would have to accept that burden was what I was looking forward to. The plot has shown his loss of innocence and I wanted to further see him grow.

I also wanted a male character in the show that could actually kick ass. So far every dude has been completely ineffectual in a fight.
>>
>>77851050
That's not all that vague a claim. If Stevonnie's first attempt gets like slapped by Yellow Diamond and broken up instantly, I will have been taken off guard. It would be neat to show something they never practiced failing as a good idea but poor time. As it's playing out though, the next big fight will be decided by Stevonnie and that's just a meh way to settle it.
>>
>>77850968
I share the desire for him to pick up the sword too, but he's far from a pussy; he killed a holo-pearl on advanced mode with a broom and deflected a ship-based energy cannon with his shield. Connie wouldn't have survived Pearl's test if Steven weren't there, probably not even those cluster mutants if he wasn't keeping her flank.
>>
>>77851166
>That's not all that vague a claim.
Yeah it is dude sorry. "Connie will be there and they'll fight someone as Stevonnie without other people" is reeeeeally fucking vague.
>>
How would that even work though. Assuming YD is the big bad, she's in space. And it's not like Connie can go out there with steven fused.
>>
>>77851143
>loss of innocence
He's not as naive as he used to be but he's still an innocent person.
>I wanted a male character in the show that could kick ass
go watch G.I. Joe if you care about representation so much
>>
>>77851189
He doesn't really "fight" though. I get that's the point and that he protects, but I dunno, I guess I always assumed he'd mature and have to accept the burden he carries. Usually he "helps" via his various powers, rather than actually roughing somebody up.

And he's the only one who could do it, seeing as he's the only male Gem. I guess maybe Lion counts, whatever the fuck he is.

>>77851275
Way to not answer any of my questions, dingus. Yes he's still innocent, but there just so happens to be an intergalactic war brewing. A war his mother was a key part in.

As for representation, fuck yourself. I don't like taking the "THINK OF THE CHILDREEEEN" approach but don't you think little boys would enjoy seeing a capable male figure? It used to be Greg's role but he's limited to tech support.
>>
>>77851217
I don't know the conflict of which it will be yet, but I know it's resolution. That's enough to damage the hype for me, especially when there's going to be an extremely obvious tell at the beginning of the episode for when it's all going down.
>>
>>77851189
>he killed a holo-pearl
after a whole episode crying and trying to make a hologram his mom
wow what a badass
>>
>>77849371
Too bad that saber is too large and unwieldy to fence with properly. She has to use two hands just to swing it! That's not a fencer's sword for someone as small as Connie.
>>
File: image.png (27 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
image.png
27 KB, 128x128
>>77851374
Does this look Ike the face of mercy, bitch nigga?
>>
>>77851143

The show is setting up Steven to confront his mother's military past and ultimately make a different choice than she did when he encounters the homeworld; his humanity gives him a greater level of compassion and understanding for others that was foreign to gems at the time of the war. If he took her sword, that would mean throwing away his humanity as well as his innocence.
>>
>>77851486
this
>>
>>77851486
Humanity and compassion are all well and good but you need to be able to protect things. I get that's what the shield represents but a shield can't make problems go away. Sometimes you've gotta fight for things you want to protect.

That's the lesson Steven needs to take away from the other gems. That fighting and protecting aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
>>77851474

Yes! Yes, it does. Quite literally so, in fact.
>>
>>77851356
True. The series is not over, though, so we might still get to see Steven beat someone's ass if pushed far enough.
>>77851374
I didn't say he was a badass, just that he's more capable than he's given credit for and we've only seen what could be the tip of an iceberg of power.
>>
>>77851600
>That's the lesson Steven needs to take away from the other gems. That fighting and protecting aren't mutually exclusive.

Pretty sure he already knows that. He's fought to protect earth.
>>
>>77851600
I think the point is more that Gems, once they step outside the ordered system they are made to fit within, invariably begin to favor the absence of that system.

That's why Rose was so dangerous, and why Steven is so dangerous -not due to any combat ability or a shield or a sword, but because both of them were able to so easily sway Gems to their cause.

Look what Steven has done, just by being compassionate. He befriended Lapis, he tamed corrupt beasts, he's won over Peridot with kindness.

He is the antithesis to everything Homeworld is, and to a lesser extent even the Crystal Gems themselves. They are all violent, often cruel, and seem to reject understanding as a basis. Steven is an endless wellspring of sincerity and compassion.

The lesson is not that he needs to fight to protect, but that fighting is not always taking up arms. And Steven... he's going to be the one teaching that lesson.
>>
>>77845884
Go play in traffic, Damien, grownups are talking.
>>
>>77851600
the shield buys time while his compassion seeps through their armor and strips their will to fight
>>
>>77851820
So in other words, Steven is a pussy.
>>
>>77850186
Who cares about Steven's individual importance? He's not the focus.
>>
>>77851820
This is what I liked so much about season 3 of Avatar, there wasn't supposed to be an easy answer. Aang had to agonize and debate himself over whether he'd have to kill Ozai, and even though that got resolved via a deus ex machina I'd like a similar struggle to happen here. Where Steven has to confront that compassion and kindness sometimes isn't enough and that he has to fight. It's a very adult thing to do and I think it'd cap off his growth from the naive fun loving innocent to someone who acknowledges his responsibilities.

>>77851836
But that isn't always enough. Look at Jasper.
>>
>>77851820
"Its not some sort of special power, but he has the ability to make allies of everyone he meets. And that is the most fearsome ability on the high seas"

- Mihawk: One piece
>>
>>77852035
To someone who defines power by the ability to inflict violence, yes.
>>
>>77848820
The crew even said that any episode with Amethyst in it is non canon. Kind of like Michael Caine in Inception.
>>
>>77845692
SU is such a Tumblr show.
>>
>>77852157
The thing is with Jasper is that he seems to understand that you do have to fight some things. Some people are unable to be simply reasoned with. He didn't do the fighting himself but he made no attempts to convert Jasper.

Now if Jasper doesn't die and remains stuck on earth, I want to see Steven's reaction to her. Steven is actually afraid of her but in all honesty, we know nothing about who she is as a person and Steven never really questioned it like he instantly did for Peridot.
>>
>>77852163
Except that Mihawk was delusional and had no idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>77852157
Korra was better than Avatar though. Unlike Aang, Korra had to make some actual hard choices.
>>
>>77852310

>hard choices

The fuck she did. Every choice she was given was incredibly simple and she still managed to botch it every time. It only seemed like some kind of difficult decision because she cried until someone else came and fixed that shit for her.
>>
>>77852410
At least she wasn't a complete pussy like Aang.
>>
>>77852429

No, she was an incompetent, immature blowhard that always acted without thinking. That's arguably far worse that being a pussy.
>>
>>77852491
Still better than freezing yourself for a thousand years.
>>
>>77852491
Worse because most of Korra's story was about her whinging about how she keeps failing even though she was the Avatar, or worse because that acting without thinking usually took things from bad to worse?
>>
>>77852310
And those "hard choices" got the previous thousands of years of avatar experience obliterated and permanently opened a hole to the spirit world, allowing things like Koh through to terrorize people.

Aang, a peaceful air nomad, had to debate whether he would have to KILL someone for the greater good. It was the focus of the second half of season 3 and it was a huge part of his character development.
>>
I hope Peridot gets her own show and I never have to see those awful crystal gems ever again.
I want her to move to Phoenix and start her career in real estate.
>>
>>77852635
>Real estate
Spinoffs usually start with a new beginning not giving up on your life and career.
>>
>>77850770
>theres people right now in this same planet that enjoy and talk about thing i dun liek
This is how you sound.
>>
>>77852840
Well what would you have her do?
>>
>>77852968
I would have her go on the run from the Gems, the US government, and Homeworld once they realize she helped them disable the Cluster.
>>
>>77852603
Aang had no character development.
Korra did.
>>
>>77853062
lel
>>
>>77853062
What? C'mon man, at least try harder.
>>
>>77837024
>Fighting isn't even a major part of the show.

I sure hope that changes. You know, considering their is an alien race of evil gems hellbent on destroying them.

But nah, feelings are important too.
>>
>>77853121
The gems aren't evil though.
>>
>>77853121
Nope. Tumblr hates action, remember? Just expect 11 minutes of crying.
>>
>>77853069
>>77853088
Did Aang end up dating Zuko?
>>
File: 1.jpg (7 KB, 245x203) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
7 KB, 245x203
>>77853171
I wish.
>>
File: back to the barn in a nutshell.png (112 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
back to the barn in a nutshell.png
112 KB, 500x280
summary of season 3
>>
Why can Steven nullify Gem powers exactly?
>>
>>77853496
Because he's a Gary Stu.
>>
File: 1435403414381.png (242 KB, 418x536) Image search: [Google]
1435403414381.png
242 KB, 418x536
>>77853420
>season 3
>>
>>77853496
We just don't know. What we do know is that Steven's mother was a god and he inherited her powers.
>>
OP here

Crickey! My thread is still alive?? I never had a thread last this long....let a lone a Steven Uni thread... This made my night.... anyway I'll be plowing into Season 2 tonight over dinner... I still am not a fan of Connie going the way of the warrior, BUT I do see some of your guys points.
>>
>>77845761
I think he's referencing that guy's image with the ">will never" meme.
>>
File: 135726441312.jpg (115 KB, 1000x693) Image search: [Google]
135726441312.jpg
115 KB, 1000x693
>>77853636
>>
File: 1448963687005.jpg (147 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448963687005.jpg
147 KB, 500x500
Honestly I think Steven is a pretty nice kid but god damn will it hurt once his innocent is shatter that being nice won't fix a deadly situation
>>
>>77853605
There's not going to be a season 3. Sugar confirmed it.
>>
File: 1448975587891.jpg (13 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1448975587891.jpg
13 KB, 640x640
>>77853734
>Steven tries being nice
>His kindness backfires
>>77853757
do you have a single fact to back that up
>>
>>77853757
OH GOD. Source? You don't expect me to just take your word for it, do you?
>>
>>77853734
Tumblr wouldn't like that so it's not going to happen.
>>
File: Recc.jpg (205 KB, 1389x882) Image search: [Google]
Recc.jpg
205 KB, 1389x882
>>77853757
dis nigga
>>
File: 1449011589503.png (169 KB, 575x446) Image search: [Google]
1449011589503.png
169 KB, 575x446
I am getting mixed signals here.
Do you guys want Steven to be tooedgyforme or just want him to have a wake up call
>>
>>77853820
I want him to have a Vash from Trigun moment.
>>
>>77853820
A wake up call would be sufficient. When a show that was originally cozy and not so serious permanently takes a dark turn, it sort of ruins the it.
>>
>>77852556

How do you figure, sports fan?

>>77852569

Both? Yeah, both.
>>
File: Squidward's Scabbard.png (159 KB, 790x556) Image search: [Google]
Squidward's Scabbard.png
159 KB, 790x556
Is Pearl the squid ward of SU?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih0krrWy5j8
>>
>>77853820
I gotta want Steven to learn more about how violent either the gems were or his mom was, Because gem can't really feel any empathy or love
>>
Why can't you faggots accept that Garnet is a fusion?
>>
>>77853993
Now that I think about it, Spongebob was really gay.
>>
>>77854028
Who the fuck is even saying she isn't?
>>
File: 1448849693480.png (2 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1448849693480.png
2 KB, 300x400
>>77854021
>Can't feel love
>Rose and Garnet
>>
WHEN WILL CONNIE DIE FOR GOOD
>>
>>77854142
I kinda want Connie to keep training with pearl.
I'm a sucker for brown swole loli
>>
File: bndocks_ep104_03.jpg (83 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
bndocks_ep104_03.jpg
83 KB, 400x300
>>77854142
fuck you bitch ass faggot ass nigga ass punk ass biiiitch
>>
>>77853820
I want Steven to die from rape.
>>
File: 1448616023615.png (123 KB, 500x398) Image search: [Google]
1448616023615.png
123 KB, 500x398
>>77854232
>brown swole loli

jesus christ why
>>
File: 1396310441486.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1396310441486.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>77850034
>>
>>77854329
You can't die from rape, that's just a myth
>>
Did Peridot have any friends?
>>
>>77854415
Did she know jasper or were they just forced to work together for the mission?
>>
>>77854415
Peridot requires ton of praise and head patting to be a friend
>>
>>77854437
Hold on, lemme just contact the storyboarders and you'll get your answer in no time
>>
>>77854437
That is a actually good question?
Did they know each other it doesn't seem like it
>>
>>77843347
>Not all the episodes that have nothing to do with the main plot whatsoever

Gosh dang you're a silly goose. When you bake a cake, do you forgo all the ingredients except the butter - since it's obviously the "main" part?
>>
>>77854622
Jasper doesn't really treat perdiot too kindly so probably not.

>Jasper has a group of roughhousers back on home world she chills and tells stories about battles with
>>
>>77854822
All I imagine is a giant roman bathhouse chilling
>>
>>77848540
He couldn't summon his shield reliably for a while or work his healing spit but he was still super strong and a lot more durable than the average human we've known this shit since like episode one cmon man.
>>
>>77844635
Abraham, Moses, Christ and Muhammed are but second-rate prophets compared to this anon. Fucking hell.
>>
File: mysteriousautism.jpg (5 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
mysteriousautism.jpg
5 KB, 100x100
>>77854900
I don't know. Why don't you fuck off and stop shitposting faggot.
>>
>>77854881
Really, it was all thanks to Uncle Grandpa.
>>
>>77854881
Steven can fully control his shield in a certain episode that escapes me but it was with chasing peridot. but the more he uses it the more tired he gets. After he used it 4 times he got really worn out
>>
>>77854954
What's a matter? Are you triggered?
>>
>>77854415

Friends aren't conductive to the efficient completion of assigned tasks, subordinate Gem. Please report to the nearest supervisory Zircon for mandatory motivational adjustments before resuming your menial duties.

This period of non-work-related activity will be deducted from your quarterly leisure time budget. Have a nice day.
>>
When will Greg fucking die? He's seriously the worst character in the show. Fuck him, he ruined Steven's self confidence.
Even Uncle Grandpa is a better parental figure
>>
>>77854970
Except that wasn't canon.
>>
File: Tiger Millionaire & CEOcelot.png (391 KB, 1252x1114) Image search: [Google]
Tiger Millionaire & CEOcelot.png
391 KB, 1252x1114
>>77843172
you do realize that Sworn To The Sword took place over at least a couple weeks, if not a couple months right?

>>77848820
and even Say Uncle is something that fits perfectly fine into continuity considering Uncle Grandpa is a interdimensional reality warper

>>77849248
I am, or at least enough that I've got no real complaints

>>77850000
well Peridot is the right size, and her fusing would be the perfect way to end her Redemption/Reconciliation arc

>>77854232
I like the way you think anon

>>77854822
>>77854877
the swolest bunch on Homeworld
>>
>>77855075
>Except that wasn't canon.
Watch Friendship again
>>
>>77855071
Rebecca Sugar confirmed there's an episode where he gets mutilated.
>>
So we know that pearls are massproduced but what about the other gems? Do you think Quartz like Rose are one of a kind or were they created with the kindergarten?
>>
>>77855075
This comment isn't canon, guys, don't worry.
>>
>>77855160
Finally the murderock is put to a rest
>>
>>77855099
>and even Say Uncle is something that fits perfectly fine into continuity considering Uncle Grandpa is a interdimensional reality warper
Sugar confirmed it's the only episode that's undoubtedly canon.
>>
>>77855165
>So we know that pearls are massproduced

They aren't. Peridot said that they were "custom made."

Like a Real Doll.
>>
>>77855075
*cannon
>>
>>77855139
>>77855167
Sugar wanted the canon to be purposely up to the viewer. What is and isn't canon is up to us.
>>
File: 1427038492600.jpg (23 KB, 292x269) Image search: [Google]
1427038492600.jpg
23 KB, 292x269
>>77855241
>custom made pearls

STOP THE PRESSES
SO THERE ARE FAT PEARLS
>>
>>77853734
His innocence is already kind of gone. He had that whole deal where he was rejecting Connie eve cause he thought his life was too dangerous, he fully realized that the gems coddle him without meaning to, and he mentioned at least once that he was pretty sure they all blamed him on a certain level for Rose being gone. He's not naive just weirdly stoic for a little kid.
>>
>>77854970
>but the more he uses it the more tired he gets. After he used it 4 times he got really worn out
That's because Steven is fat.
>>
>>77855392
Are you retarded? He's completely naive.
>>
>>77855402
>That's because Steven is fat

Not anymore he isn't
More buff if anything
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 86

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.