[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did Marvel turn against the X-Men?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: Bendis_X-Men.jpg (105 KB, 388x600) Image search: [Google]
Bendis_X-Men.jpg
105 KB, 388x600
People talk like Marvel has had it in for the X-Men ever since the MCU started up, but in 2012 they still seemed to care a lot about the X-Men. They assigned Bendis, their favorite writer, to be the main X-Men writer and Wolverine was all over the promotion and so on. They'd even promote Fox X-Men movies on their website sometimes.

Something changed after that and we got all the editorial and writer musical chairs, the "Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch aren't real mutants" retcon, the Inhumans push and a clampdown on anything that would give free publicity to Fox. But what changed and when?

This is complicated by the fact that Marvel can never actually admit they're downplaying the X-Men to fuck over Fox, even though that's clearly what they're doing.
>>
>>77830089
Avengers was when it got soured, but GOTG was the last nail in the coffin. However, the tide is going to turn back soon, after some flops like Captain Marvel or Black Panther.

If CW gets bad reviews, it's over for MCU.
>>
>>77830089
>But what changed and when?

Isaac Perlmutter's orders from on high I imagine.
>>
When it has become hip to have an interest in comics and you could pass as a fan without reading them just thanks to following blogs and vlogs.
>>
Given that there are so many marvel shills on /co/, one would think that they would spill some beans.
>>
>>77830126
>However, the tide is going to turn back soon, after some flops
so never
>>
>>77830179
if you're a pessimist, sure...
>>
>>77830179
>implying Dr. Strange won't flop

Oh i'm laffin
>>
>>77830126
>If CW gets bad reviews, it's over for MCU.

How many times have people said Marvel comics couldn't milk this superhero thing for much longer?

The truth is, successful superhero franchises are hard to start up but once they do they're perpetual motion machines.
>>
>>77830417
I say that if CW gets bad reviews it's over, because AoU was considered mediocre.
It directly resultred in BTFO Perlmutter and Quesada team.

Marvel can't allow another mediocre movie, let alone bad one. And given that CW is already a quipfest, won't help given that the story is supposed to be serious. I swear to god, if X-Men were in MCU, we would get Magneto quipping about surviving holocaust.
>>
>>77830214
>>77830242
So I guess you're like those people who say the Detroit Red Wings miss the playoffs every year, but always are wrong? I remembering the foreboding and inevitable demise of the MCU that was supposed to be GOTG and Ant-Man, yet Marvel Studios keeps Ooga Chaking to the box office
>>
>>77830495

2015 was not a good year for the MCU but it'll still take more than that to drive it out of business. Eventually they'll just go back to the beginning and reboot Iron Man, Cap and Hulk with new actors.

The effect of the 2015 under-performance was for Feige to demand, and get, Marvel publishing removed from its influence on the movies... so weirdly he's probably happy that they had a bad year. Got to hand it to someone who uses an under-performance to consolidate his power.
>>
>>77830551
They did? Because Ant-Man didn't do nearly as much as GOTg. And AoU didn't top The Avengers, while sequels usually do twice the first movie. And let's not forget the Feige-Perlmutter conflict
>>
Didn't they sell X-Men and the word Mutants to Fox?
>>
>>77830574
I agree that it's too early to say that, but do consider the following that Marvel will have a huge competition onwards. Marvel is not alone anymore in the superhero movies market. And let's not forget the rip-off movies. What was the name of the movie this year that literelly had a ultron-like robot that was feared and loathed?
>>
>>77830495

>AoU mediocre

Bruh, it drew $1.5bn in box office gross. I don't think they give a fuck if /co/ thinks it was mediocre. General public lapped it up.

Even if Strange flops (it won't, people watch anything with Cumberbatch in), or Black Panther, all they have to do is throw out another avengers/iron man/cap movie.
>>
>>77830610
It's a little misconception, because Marvel, being greedy fucks they are, tried their luck with doing a blatant X-Men rip-off with Mutant X. The series was really similar to X-Men, and I'm not surprised that they lost in court. As a result, Marvel probably got discouraged from pulling anything similar in future.
>>
>>77830662
>General public lapped it up.
Really? Because I remember that a lot of folks went to see the first movie many times, while they only went to see AoU once. The general consensus both among critics and audience is that the movie tried to bit off more that they could chew. In many ways, /co/ was polite about AoU
>>
>>77830576
Ant-Man made money. Age of Ultron made money. That's all that matters. Feige fighting Perlmutter is irrelevant to this.
>>
>>77830744
You mean Koreans helped made Ant-Man money, which is why Marvel is going to pander to them.
>>
>>77830635
Marvel's only real competition could be Warner/DC if it ever gets its act together and puts together a movie franchise, but for now that's still mostly theoretical.

There are a lot of good comics out there, but the Big Two have dominated superheroes for the last 50+ years, and if you don't got a Big Two hero you don't got a superhero movie. So basically it's just Marvel/Disney, Warner/DC, and Fox/X-Men.

The real threat is that other things get popular and blow away the superheroes. We saw a sign of that this summer when Jurassic World beat Avengers: Age of Ultron.
>>
>>77830576
It's retarded to expect always to make double with sequels. Are you telling me that Infnity War Pt 1 had to do 600 millions first weekend? And Pt 2 800 millions? Come on.
>>
>>77830785
There is also Star Wars. How do you think, it will be a hit or shit?
>>
>>77830805
Well, why spending a billion dollars on a budget then? Do you spend that much money on a movie if you expect it to be underwhelming?
>>
>>77830718
Age of Ultron made money, but for huge corporations the question is not if something makes money, but whether it performs "up to expectations." So Disney expected a certain level of profit, and if AoU delivered less (which it probably did because it made less money than the first one and cost more) it's a disappointment.

Not the kind of disappointment that costs Feige his job, but just the kind of thing where he says "bro, kick Joe Quesada and Brian Bendis and Ike Perlmutter off the movies and maybe the next one will be better."
>>
>>77830089
Is Bendis wearing lipstick in this image?
>>
>>77830848
So far, CW is a mystery. But if that movie will also turn out to be disappointment, what then?
It might happen, or might not. I'm not sure anymore, because I thought that AoU would actually be a much bigger success than the first movie.

Then there is this thing with the Infinity War being divided into two parts, with huge time gap and few movies in-between.
>>
>>77830242

>implying it will.

If ant-man and gotg didn't floped, Strange won't too. Unless they fuck shit up to new F4 level, and let's be honest, it won't happen.
>>
>>77830994
Given that Strange is played by tumblr favorite, it probably won't flop. But what about Captain Marvel? BP can at least count for the blacks
>>
>>77830958
I don't think they're expecting the same box office draw with CW as they did with AoU, so that helps.

Plus, it's going to have Spider-Man. People eat that shit up. If they feel the film is tracking too low, you better believe they're going to hype the fuck out of "Go to CW to see the BRAND NEW SPIDER-MAN"
>>
>>77831094
Both Panther and Marvel, especially BP, could flop. Anything made to pander SJW and the like always flops because the only thing they do is complain in the interwebs instead of actually supporting that shit.
>>
>>77831258
Probably it will happen. But then again, given that the trailer is popular (apparently) they won't have to.
>>
>>77831276
Panther in particular could flop hard because it seems like they can't convince a prominent black director to helm it, but if they break down and get a white director to run it there'll be hell to pay.
>>
>>77831441
Yeah pretty much a fucking shame because I actually like T'Challa.
>>
>>77831497
I'm still holding out hope that they'll get James Earl Jones to voice T'chaka.
>>
>>77831441
I don't even know why they need a black director for Black Panther. An African director, I could see, but African-Americans aren't literally African. The idea that an American director could relate better to T'Challa simply by being black is a little nuts, and a symbol of how "diversity" now seems to mean forcing black people to tell stories of black people, women to write only women, etc. Why not see what a black woman would bring to white Peter Parker?

But honestly I think people overstate the effect of identity-politics freakouts. These things get overstated because a) The internet makes voices louder, b) The studio people are mostly liberals so they're very sensitive to attacks from the left. But there's no actual evidence that these things have a bad impact on the box office.
>>
The Inhumans push started in 2013, right? That's when people started to suspect that Marvel was trying to turn Inhumans into MCU-approved mutants.
>>
>>77833367
Yeah, probably around there.
>>
>>77833284
>>I don't even know why they need a black director for Black Panther.
Yes you do
>>
>>77830089
2012 was also around the time when Fox let Daredevil lapse instead of giving them Silver Surfer and Galactus.

Another big one, in May 2013 Whedon confirmed he'd be using Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and that they were going to cameo in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Then later in that same month Fox announced that it cast Evan Peters as Quicksilver.

That was probably the tipping point between both companies. And maybe the Fantastic Four film.
>>
>>77834523
Wasn't there a story about how Quicksilver's role was originally supposed to be Juggernaut's?
>>
>>77834681
Yes, there were stories that it was supposed to be a young Juggernaut and it got changed to Quicksilver at the last minute, though even before that Feige was saying that both studios had the rights to those two characters, so they must have worked it out before.
>>
I feel like the X men needs a reboot or something

I love the original five just add two more to make it 7
>>
File: 1424541890230.png (1 MB, 1088x1088) Image search: [Google]
1424541890230.png
1 MB, 1088x1088
>>77836051
Did you not see Days of Future Past or something?
>>
>>77830807
Shit probably. Being a rehash of a new hope doesn't help. It won't live up to the hype that's for sure. Hardcore fans will be split. The general public will be confused considering the last movie out was revenge of the sith and TFA is entirely different.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.