[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /co/ think of rape in comics? should it be depicted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15
File: The doctor is in.jpg (638 KB, 2045x1603) Image search: [Google]
The doctor is in.jpg
638 KB, 2045x1603
What does /co/ think of rape in comics? should it be depicted and if so, how?
>>
File: invnincible1.jpg (109 KB, 512x769) Image search: [Google]
invnincible1.jpg
109 KB, 512x769
>>77825479
>if so, how?

Passionately
>>
>>77825590
I know /co/ blew up over this one, but I found it interesting just in the sense that I had heard of dudes getting raped in comics, I mean lets face it it just happened to aqua man and Dick has had it happen like 20 times but those were mainly tricking the guy or drugging him, this one was a sraight up physical and violent "squeal like a piggy" type deal here
>>
>>77825479
>should it be depicted and if so, how
Yes and graphically. Why include it as a story element if your going to sugar coat it.
>>
It can be depicted in comics if the creators want to do it. I don't think it has a place in superhero comics, though.
>>
>>77825479
We should have way more rape in comics. It's literally the only way to make woman characters useful.
>>
>>77825479
Yeah, it should.
I don't really care how.
Identity Crisis sucked but there's much better examples.
Barracuda raped a bunch of dudes
>>
>>77825666
see this is an interesting stance to me, why do you feel that way? we have guys willing to blow up a school bus but not one of them is gonna pork someone against their will? Especially since superhero comics are apparently trying to depict "reality with superheroes" silly as that sounds rape is a very real and serious crime, so why do you say it shouldn't be included?
>>
>>77825479
Comics need to start pushing the envelope and use it for shock value. I mean we're so used to gore and such that it no longer gets a reaction from us, we no longer hate villains that go full edgemaster. However hardcore rape really allows us to genuinely hate the villain. I mean when a superheroine origin story includes her being raped you really feel for her and can connect with the character on a deep emotional level. When it's "My family was murdered rawr justice revenge!" it comes off as so lame.
>>
>>77825704
Exactly. Look at how those female super heroes dress? You mean to tell me when a villain or even their henchmen have them captured and unconscious they're not gonna fist fuck that pussy?
>>
>>77825927
Millar pls
>>
Rape in comics is bullshit. Dudes never get penetrated, they just get drugged or misled. Women never have another woman rock the man in the boat against their will, or are forced into eating snapper (or dick), it's always just guys penetrating them...and no woman ever ends up on the team of the guy who raped them back in high school or college.
>>
>>77825479
>Ms Marvel with her son/babydaddy
>>
>>77825479
It should NEVER be depicted at all. Editorials need to think of all those people who have suffered through this, and stop showing it like something fun or natural to evil- to ALL men.
>>
>>77826256
Angel: Hey Kit, we got a sensitive one here.

Calm down, pinkie.
>>
>>77826256
It shouldn't be censored because someone gets offended by it, if we lived like that we would have nothing because everyone gets offended by something, my city was trying to plant some apple trees in a park and there were a group of people in the area crusading against it. if you got raped and can never get by it, don't read the comic, if it fits the story ie a despicable villain kidnaps and harms someone in a horrible way, it should be used and shouldn't have to pull punches because someone might get triggered.
>>
File: 1435551314728.jpg (276 KB, 711x649) Image search: [Google]
1435551314728.jpg
276 KB, 711x649
>>77825983
>"She was asking for it"
>>
File: 92.jpg (7 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
92.jpg
7 KB, 170x170
Buenos dias.
>>
>>77826385
>apple trees in a park and there were a group of people in the area crusading against it
Context? Did they think it would make a good hiding spot for rapists or something?
>>
>>77825479
>What does /co/ think of rape in comics?
Hot!
>should it be depicted and if so, how?
Hotly!
>>
>>77825479
Oh boy, time for /co/mblr to come out in full force.
>>
>>77826532
I shit you not some of them said they would be eyesores, and alot of others said that the apples would cause garbage and filth below the trees from fallen apples or some retarded shit like tha
>>
File: happy.jpg (154 KB, 658x648) Image search: [Google]
happy.jpg
154 KB, 658x648
JOLLY GOOD...
>>
>>77826421
He's an idiot, yet at the same time it's hard to believe that none of the scum who would work as henchmen wouldn't also be sex criminals.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 245x175) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 245x175
>>77826421
>he would fuck the hot bitch in a swimsuit even though he's already murdering kids
>>
Rape shouldn't be taboo
I mean if you have villains doing all sorts of violent shit without batting an eye but squirm at seeing rape its a double standard
>>
File: rlist3.jpg (329 KB, 708x1988) Image search: [Google]
rlist3.jpg
329 KB, 708x1988
>>
File: tombstone no.jpg (17 KB, 584x392) Image search: [Google]
tombstone no.jpg
17 KB, 584x392
>>77825479

I'd rather not.

it feels to edgy to do so.
>>
>>77827152
wheres the governor?
>>
File: hmm face.png (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
hmm face.png
84 KB, 500x500
>>77825666
Since when is satan against rape in any form? You goin soft on us?
>>
I think Marvel and DC struggle with simple good vs evil cape stories as it is. Leave the rape to those independent comics nobody reads.
>>
>>77827201
Well, that's life anon. Someone could be getting raped right now, but across the street a family is bringing home a newborn baby
>>
>>77825983
maybe they're pushed for time?
>>
>>77826688
Is what we’re actually talking about here the prevalence of rape and sexual violence in my work in comparison to that in the work of other writers working within the comic industry? Now, here, I’d probably have to agree, especially if we’re talking about the comic writers of thirty years ago, when I first commenced my apparently rape-fixated career. If you look at the attempted rape in the first episode of V for Vendetta, for example, I think you’ll find that I was only able to identify the crime by its initial letter on the lips of a traumatised and stammering Evey Hammond. Still, this was one letter more than had been available to EC Comics a couple of decades before, when they were forced to tell their still-shocking tale of a rapist hiding behind a sheriff’s badge without referring to the actual crime except by implication. My point is that rape did not exist in the comic books of that period, save for the occasional permissible off-panel rape, such as when a tavern dancing girl might be pushed back into the hay by a muscular barbarian, her lips saying no but her eyes saying yes. Other than this, no overt sexuality of any kind existed in the mainstream comic books of that era, with the last of the underground comix having bitten the dust during the previous decade.
>>
>>77828399
>I’m curious as to what anyone who considered themselves to be a committed and conscientious modern writer would have done in those circumstances. What conclusions might the commentators of today have come to in relation to those issues? What options were open to creators of that period? Well, quite obviously, the safest and most comfortable option would have been to go along with a censorious status quo and simply not refer to sexual matters, even obliquely. Indeed, as I remember, this is exactly the option that most of my contemporaries in the field back then tended to make their default position, since they were understandably reluctant to displease their editors and thus to jeopardise their chances of future employment. It seemed to me, however, that if comics could not address adult matters – by which I meant a great deal more than simply sexual issues – then they could never progress to become a serious and accepted artistic medium, and would never amount to anything much more than a nostalgic hobby for ageing teenagers. To my mind, the only mind I had direct access to, it seemed that such a potentially astonishing medium deserved more than this. Along with political and social issues, I elected to make sexual issues a part of my work
>>
>>77825983
That's a death sentence tho you idiot and that's if you're lucky.
>>
>>77826714
And you're scum for thinking all henchman are rapists.
>>
>>77827152
>Shado
Oh shit. When? Who? Oliver, right?
>>
>>77826256
Woah tumblr, calm down.
>>
>>77828567
Henchman detected
>>
>>77828567
I didn't say all I said some
I mean at least some of them are murderers, there's gotta be some rape overlap there.
>>
>>77825590
this page was the whole reason I picked up Invincible.
>>
>>77828578
It's a classic GA story, anon. Ollie was sick and unable to move so Shado climbed on top of him while he was semi-conscious and made him impregnate her.

I'm kinda hard now
>>
>>77827244
The lists's pretty old, and was never intended to be all that comprehensive.
Who's the governor? Was he a Walking Dead character?(That's the only one I vaguely recall who sound familiar).
>>
>>77826714
I'm pretty sure some evil henchmen has made veiled sexual threats or whatever to incapacitated female characters before.
I recall guards making those sorts of threats to Artemis during Secret Six, for example.

Also, while he's not a henchman, I recall Ra's Al Ghul planning to rape Wonder Woman during some Trinity comic or other. IIRC, he wanted to invade Amazon Island and useits inhabitants as "breeding stock" too.
>>
>>77825479

it shouldn't be off-limits, but its almost always shallow shock value that adds nothing to the story.
>>
>>77826600
People who think /co/mblr is real are the ones who think posts like these are genuine:
>>77826256
>>
>>77828844
I can't believe I read the whole Grell run and I don't remember this.
>>
It entirely depends on the mood in the comic, the characters, how they are otherwise portrayed and what audience the story is intended for. Because realistically, people who aren't above killing kids and thousands of people wouldn't be above rape either, and it's a very useful method for humiliating and torturing a strong minded victim.

Rape is uncomfortable to read about most of the time though. I personally don't mind being squicked out and seeing it happen to fictional characters for emotional effect, but I can understand why that isn't what the majority of readers want when they pick up a cape comic.
>>
>>77828960
Ra's is pretty textbook creep
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 262x489) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 262x489
Superpowers mean more potential for female-on-male rape.
>>
>>77827152
when did Cassidy raped someone?

You mean sex with drunk Tulip after jesse's "death"?
>>
>>77825590
Im I honestly supposed to feel sorry for Mark here? I feel more jealous honestly.
>>
If we're talking Superhero Comics:

Murder? Ok.
Murder of children and elderly? Ok.
Genocide? Ok.
Kidnapping? Ok.
Police Brutality? Ok.
Theft, Assault and Battery, Hostage Taking? Ok.

And that's just a minor list of all the terrible things that get depicted in cape comics. So what makes rape, another crime, so terrible? Like another poster mentioned, of course it should be on the table, the problem is that the executions of storylines involving rape and sexual assault haven't really gotten across how terrible it is and you got a comic like Invincible that eroticizes it. So I don't care what low level mook at TMS says, if we're going to say "superheroes have grown up" or whatever, that we as an audience have grown up, then all subject matter is free for all.
>>
>>77825590
Man, mark is such a fucking pussy. I also hate his wife.
>>
>>77828518
Heroes don't kill you idiot.
>>
>>77829372
yep, she was really out of it a lot of the time
>>
>>77825479
You should see it just as any other medium, look at films and literature they cover pretty much the whole entire human condition from the best to the worst of people, unwillingness of touching difficult subjects just shows the artistic boundaries and limitations of an industry.
>>
>>77829540
That's only a small handful. Most capes kill.
>>
>>77825479

Honestly? There have been done far worse in comics, so there is no reason for rape in particular to be a banned subject.

On the other hand i cant actually remember any story that haven't used the subject either for cheap shock or as a substitute for characterization.
>>
>>77829560
Rape isn't absent in the comic medium, but is very controversial when used in the superhero genre, likely because the characters are often beloved and well known.
>>
>>77829582
Go back to Bizzaro world where you came from. It's very very rare for heroes to kill. Fodder soldiers don't count.
>>
File: spidermanrape.jpg (178 KB, 524x773) Image search: [Google]
spidermanrape.jpg
178 KB, 524x773
>Your reminder that Peter Parker was molested by an older kid that was initially supposed be Uncle Ben.
>>
>>77829667
>Fodder soldiers don't count
You either kill or you don't.
>>
File: Hey there.jpg (20 KB, 416x312) Image search: [Google]
Hey there.jpg
20 KB, 416x312
>>77829540
word
>>
If anything, there should be more rape. Japan has had the hold on the crazy violent sex market for too long. We need to upset that balance. We need to push things further. I wanna see everyone and everything in the Marvel and DC universes raped to Hell and back. I want abortions, stillbirths, STDs, HIV, AIDS, prolapsed anuses, destroyed vaginas, child brides, bestiality, the works. Go all the way. Take it to the limit. Rape the universe.
>>
>>77829729

It always amuses me when some alien species is butchered en masse by heroes.Sure they are horrible creatures that dont respect the sanctity of human life. But on the other hand heroes that would shit kittens over spraining the ankle of human often happily kills aliens.
>>
What about a superhero who fights crime with rape?
>>
>>77829667
>>77829729
>Fodder soldiers
Are you talking about Secret Invasion?
>>
File: Silver Age Bueno.jpg (128 KB, 654x605) Image search: [Google]
Silver Age Bueno.jpg
128 KB, 654x605
>>77829891
>What about a superhero who fights crime with rape?
it has been done
>>
File: 1655860-bueno.jpg (201 KB, 904x474) Image search: [Google]
1655860-bueno.jpg
201 KB, 904x474
>>77829891
there is
>>
>>77829891
I know we have Bueno, but he doesn't really have a traditional superhero identity, his superhero name's just a phrase, and his outfit's just a coat.

What would be a good name for a rape-themed superhero? The Defiler? Captain Piston? The Dark Invader?
>>
File: Therapeman.jpg (17 KB, 192x263) Image search: [Google]
Therapeman.jpg
17 KB, 192x263
>>77829891
>>77830593
>>
>>77825479
Almost made me cum
>>
I don't think comics need to shy away from real problems. If its depicted, do it in a way that reflects the authors view on the subject, it's all that matters.
>>
>>77825590
Is Mark the biggest punching bag in comics?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.