[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Over powered characters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10
So this is pretty random but... I wanna talk about what is the line between over powered characters and non-over powered characters.

I have generally found over powered characters in less interesting than their non over powered counter parts. I want to see though how much agreement there is on what constitutes over powered.

For instance can we all agree that pic related is rarely not in the over powered category? Lets bring up so more and try to find where we tend to agree the line is.
>>
It's relative. For instance Supes in the Golden Age was overpowered simply by virtue of being the only superhuman in DC.
Supes in a world of krytptonians is not overpowered.
>>
>>77816661

Well I know it is relative but I feel it be useful to come up with some kind of criteria of what is overpowered. Like saying X overpowered character is not overpowered cause Z overpowered character can fight them evenly merely means both are overpowered. Or if you need some BS way to defeat them then that is overpowered potentially too.

Spider-man for instance is not overpowered due to the fact a shot gun blast to the head would kill him. It is clearly defined he plays by some semblance of mortal rules and can not for instance act in ways that seem to defy reason or meaningful measurement.
>>
File: Thor_Odinson_(Earth-12041)_004.png (118 KB, 602x815) Image search: [Google]
Thor_Odinson_(Earth-12041)_004.png
118 KB, 602x815
Here to me is another sign of being over powered. When you can not reliably say "how hard would you need to hit X to kill him".

For instance when Thor is hit hard we don't know how hard he is being hit and we have no reliable way of measuring how much force is needed to kill him. All we know is "over powered punch with no basis is reasonably measure seems to hurt Thor". It is near completely meaningless cause we have no way of knowing how much damage is being done and it can all be made up on the spot.
>>
>>77816623
they're not really overpowered if the people they are fighting give them a challenge
Of course superman is overpowered to the other JL member rouges but he's not really fighting them all the time is he?
>>
>>77816724
That seems completely arbitrary. Overpowered doesn't have to be compared to a base human.
An immortal God who only fights immortal gods isn't OP. See: Highlander.

Overpowered means they are too powerful to be beaten by the rules of their own settings. Like, you know balance in vydia.
>>
There's no such thing as "overpowered", it's a fucking videogame. If the character isn't challenged that's the fault of the writer, not the character. Silver Age Superman is actually a great example, because even though he would perform some ridiculous feats there'd always be plenty of obstacles, even if most of them were just kryptonite.

>>77816661
>only superhuman in DC

What in the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>77818857
*it's NOT a fucking videogame
>>
File: TreadmillBarry.jpg (166 KB, 600x924) Image search: [Google]
TreadmillBarry.jpg
166 KB, 600x924
He can be the most important being of the DC universe in a comic and the biggest retard in another one.
>>
>>77818857
>superhuman
Not that anon but he did predicate that on "Golden Age" - Flash is another metahuman from that time frame but Jay Garrick didn't have the speed and some of the more insane abilities that Wally and Barry picked up (such as being able to vibrate through things or a super speed punch). Jay's big power was speed, and that essentially made him invisible, but most of his foes were common crooks early on. Before the first year of Superman stories was done, he was already fighting a super genius criminal. Martian Manhunter came on in the 50s, Marvel was Fawcett, not DC at this time, Wonder Woman really wasn't as strong and she certainly couldn't fly as she can now - I don't know enough about her to comment intelligently on when she got some of the super strength powers but I believe she was simply stronger for your average human being, plus had the nifty bracelets, lasso, etc., not exactly on par with x-ray vision, invulnerability and the other things Supes had at the start or quickly obtained.
>>
>Overpowered
These are comics not video games.
>>
>>77818912
>s but I believe she was simply stronger for your average human being,

Can we let this thread die?

Op is retarded and you are too.
>>
Batman
>>
>>77818912
Are you kidding me, negroid

Wonder Woman was super powered, so was Jay, so was Hawkman, so was the Atom, and many more.

You really don't know what you're talking about.
>>
File: aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg (31 KB, 419x261) Image search: [Google]
aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg
31 KB, 419x261
>>77818900
>>
File: 1664089-jsa_anderson.gif (213 KB, 648x481) Image search: [Google]
1664089-jsa_anderson.gif
213 KB, 648x481
>>77818912
You are kind of retarded
>>
File: 3944206-5155870199-34429.jpg (1015 KB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
3944206-5155870199-34429.jpg
1015 KB, 1988x3056
>>77816821
>Of course superman is overpowered to the other JL member rouges

Reverse Flash and Apollo have straight up toyed with Superman in the past. Where do people get this shit?
>>
File: 1446329016061.jpg (74 KB, 202x232) Image search: [Google]
1446329016061.jpg
74 KB, 202x232
In the end, I saw Superman not as a superhero or even a science fiction character, but as a story of Everyman. We’re all Superman in our own adventures. We have our own Fortresses of Solitude we retreat to, with our own special collections of valued stuff, our own super–pets, our own “Bottle Cities” that we feel guilty for neglecting. We have our own peers and rivals and bizarre emotional or moral tangles to deal with.
I felt I’d really grasped the concept when I saw him as Everyman, or rather as the dreamself of Everyman. That “S” is the radiant emblem of divinity we reveal when we rip off our stuffy shirts, our social masks, our neuroses, our constructed selves, and become who we truly are. Batman is obviously much cooler, but that’s because he’s a very energetic and adolescent fantasy character: a handsome billionaire playboy in black leather with a butler at this beck and call, better cars and gadgetry than James Bond, a horde of fetish femme fatales baying around his heels and no boss. That guy’s Superman day and night.
Superman grew up baling hay on a farm. He goes to work, for a boss, in an office. He pines after a hard–working gal. Only when he tears off his shirt does that heroic, ideal inner self come to life. That’s actually a much more adult fantasy than the one Batman’s peddling but it also makes Superman a little harder to sell. He’s much more of a working class superhero.
American writers often say they find it difficult to write Superman. They say he’s too powerful; you can’t give him problems. But Superman is a metaphor. For me, Superman has the same problems we do, but on a Paul Bunyan scale. If Superman walks the dog, he walks it around the asteroid belt because it can fly in space. When Superman’s relatives visit, they come from the 31st century and bring some hellish monster conqueror from the future. But it’s still a story about your relatives visiting.
>>
File: meme_OPM_approve.png (253 KB, 568x638) Image search: [Google]
meme_OPM_approve.png
253 KB, 568x638
>>77816623
you clearly haven't seen One Punch Man
>>
>>77822541

OPM is really the best ever execution of a Superman type character.

Too bad they can't possibly write Clark like Saitama.
>>
>>77822541
>Seen
Genos dies
Read the manga
>>
File: Asami beating Korra vol 1.jpg (93 KB, 396x612) Image search: [Google]
Asami beating Korra vol 1.jpg
93 KB, 396x612
Honestly, Korra. Korra (like Katara) is an extremely unique water bender

She can lift virtually anything with effortless ease and I don't think that has anything to do with being The Avatar. I think its natural

Her strength is shocking scary its like She-Hulk Levels of strong.
>>
>>77820336
>Superman immediately wrecks him after this page
Why are you so bad at choosing images?
>>
>>77820336
>everybody talks with their mouth closed

This is how you recognize an artist who doesn't know how to draw comics, even if they know how to draw in general.
>>
>>77822630
No he doesn't...
>>
test
>>
>>77816623
How powerful they are isn't as important as whether they're always right. Superman isn't boring because he's nigh-omnipotent; he's boring because he's supposed to be morally perfect and never wrong or mistaken about anything.
>>
>>77822962
Are we reading the same Superman stories? Superman has shown to be wrong many many times in the past.
>>
>>77816724
This leads to a problem. Because Batman has beaten Superman a few times. Therefore Batman is overpowered. Captain America could beat Batmam, so Captain America is overpowered. Spider-man can beat Cap, therefore Spider-man is overpowered.

So...... isn't everyone overpowered?
>>
>>77822541
But this is /co/ckgobbler, not /a/rsehole
>>
>>77822541

OP here. I have an love it.
>>
>>77822962
Nah son, Batman is boring as fuck. Crazy as it sounds, as least Superman struggles.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.