[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong with Gravity Falls(aside from the given being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
What went wrong with Gravity Falls(aside from the given being on Disney)?
>>
alex hirsch
>>
>>77808040
Plotwise, it was valuing the sibling relationship over everything.

Realitywise, it was pushing the envelope too much without giving reasons for merchandising.

Hirsch pushed too hard for "edgy" plotlines without pushing for enough toys.

Remember kids, cartoons are advertisements.
>>
What's wrong with it?
>>
The entire first season suffered from predictable dialog and lackluster humor. Plus, the paranormal stuff was often pushed aside.
>>
Hirsch originally wanted to do it in 3 seasons, then changed his mind for whatever reason (don't know if it's been said officially why; not gonna speculate if not) and fit the plot into 2 instead. Of course this leads to stuff feeling rushed and sometimes half-assed, plus some long-time fans who believed ALL WILL BE REVEALED are getting burnt out because they believed the show was still just building up to some amazing future thing.

or something.
>>
>>77808040
I wish they hadn't spent half of season 1 focusing on how much Dipper wanted to bang Wendy. We get it Alex, you want to fuck Lauren Faust, but don't focus so many episodes on it.
>>
>>77808130
That toy shit has been irrelevant for a decade. Hardly any newer cartoon has any kind of merch.
>>
>>77808040
Solved the major mystery halfway through the second season, added a new character that didn't have time to develop relationships in a show centered around family, and then made the villain kind of lackluster when he reaches his goal.
>>
>>77808148
I liked it, but it ended seemingly prematurely.

The second season was a mess.
>>
>>77808237
It's not just about toys any more.

Cartoons are aimed at children.
Children have low purchasing power.
But their parents have cash.

So cartoons are aimed to make kids force their parents to spend money on whatever parent conglomerate made that cartoon.

It's all about profit, y'all.

So yeah, maybe the cartoon itself doesn't have merch, but something about watching it will make the kids force their parents to give the company who made that cartoon money.

Think of it this way:
What is the one thing that kids can influence their parents to do?
Can it be food?
Nope.
Housing?
Nope.
Insurance?
Nope.
Vehicles?
Nope.

The one thing kids can influence is toys.
So if the cartoon doesn't do that, why profit is there to be had to make that show?
None.

Ask yourself whenever you see a cartoon: Where is the money coming from to make this?
>>
>>77808345
>Cartoons are aimed at children.
CN toons, GF, and Star indicate that cartoons are now aimed at manchildren.
>>
>>77808384
I imagine that some statsgeek employed by the major cartoon networks has calculated exactly how much pandering is necessary to turn a profit.

Like, manchildren spend a lot more money, but they're few and far between.

Where is the equal point? How much do you make it child friendly and how much do you make it for manchildren?

Gravity Falls probably relied too much on the latter.
>>
Nothing, it's still good. /co/ nitpicks everything they love to death and it gets old.[/spoilers]
>>
>>77808281
Its like the show was murdered.
>>
What exactly do people hate about season 2? It's been airing really strangely, but besides that has been great
>>
>>77808040
Well

Too many breaks.

As much as I like the show, I do feel like it could have more episodes in it's seasons. For some weird reason it feels kinda incomplete to me. It also took kinda way too long for episodes to come out, partially killing it's hype.
>>
>>77808775
Not enough development, especially for other Grunkle.
>>
>>77808426
I'd seriously like to know if cartoon companies actually have some initiative to aim for manchildren. I think bronies must have been profitable for Hasbro, but that was entirely a fluke.
>>
>>77809633
Of course they do.
Employees cost thousands a year.
Merch is millions.

They must have a neckbeard coefficient.
>>
>>77809633
GF falls even has a manchild character as part of the main cast
>>
>>77808237
Somehow you missed that Adventure Time has generated tons of merch. Sure, cartoons aren't total toy commercials the way they were in the '80s, but if a show brings in a lot of merch sales, the network will favor it.
>>
>>77810023
Nah, he's just Mexican. They're expected to care after their parents/grandparents until they die
>>
I wish S2 had some more noticeable, solid character development and that they stuck to the mystery element a bit more, but otherwise it's okay I guess.
>>
>>77810576
That's an inherent problem that came with season 1, AKA sad awkward Dipper show, didn't help matters that when season 2 touched on the DEEPEST LORE it always went too fast, but when it didn't, any sort of development effectively halved, sans some tidbits here and there at the end of each "filler" episode.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.