[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Year One the best batman origin story? If not, what's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 400x600
Is Year One the best batman origin story?

If not, what's the best one?
>>
bump for actual comic discussion
>>
Yes, it is.
>>
SO HOW ABOUT THOSE MOVIES?
>>
IS ZERO YEAR ANY GOOD?
>>
>>77780667
Yes, its the definitive as well as being the best looking and best written.

>>77781134
Zero Year is decent but the fact it replaced Year One is super shitty
>>
>>77781134
It has it's ups and downs but it's okay overall.

But holy fuck was it terrible reading it one month at a time.
>>
File: Zero01.jpg (86 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Zero01.jpg
86 KB, 630x420
>>77781134
red hood stuff was shit
dark city was ok
riddler stuff was good
worth a read, art is consitently good throughout, coloring is amazing
>>
>>77780667
Best Jim Gordon origin story hands down. It honestly feels more like his story than Bruce's.
>>
Retarded Batman is best origin story
>>
>>77781482
...elaborate pls
>>
>>77781454
you mean it wasn't?
>>
>>77780667
I would have to say yes. It has so many iconic elements that ended up informing Batman's history.

>>77781134
Which is why I would say I feel bad for zero year. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it will never end up replacing year one as the official origin in the long run. Bruce in an already wacky Gotham just doesn't resonate as well as Bruce initially driving the mob out of Gotham.
>>
>>77781134
It wasn't as good, but I like it. One of Snyder's good works on Batman. It's good to see Bruce slowly becoming the batman of the present and getting along with Gordon and Alfred.
>>
>>77780867
>implying
>>77781544
oh, then what is?
>>
>>77781405
Disagree about the red hood stuff, I thought that was the strongest arc of the 3.

Besides that I agree with you about everything. The art was amazing. I think Snyder's young angry Bruce is much more interesting that his present day boring Bruce
>>
>>77780667
>what's the best one?
the one where his parents are killed he goes to train in martial arts and swears to capture criminals and chooses a symbol that will strike fear in the hearts of criminals.
>>
>>77781531
He's talking about the Batman Realworlds comic
>>
>>77781974
So... which one?
>>
>>77781974
I loved that one!
>>
I liked zero year better because it felt more in place with the dc universe. Year One is good, but it felt more like a crime drama to me, grounded, with more of a focus on Jim Gordon's story as well.
>>
>>77781997
Detective comics 33
>>
>>77782065
“I swear by the spirits of my parents to avenge their deaths by spending the rest of my life warring on all criminals.
>>
>>77782452
>33
Impressive. Very nice.
>>
I hate prostitute Selina.
>>
File: image.jpg (302 KB, 600x894) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
302 KB, 600x894
>>77782472
It was adapted in batman brave and the bold episode chill of the night word for word.
>>
>>77782506
http://youtu.be/hDt3fxNUkKQ
>>
>>77782494
Well I hate you.
>>
Are there any stories where in the end Batman actually does kill the Joker?
>>
>>77782810
In JLA the nail he pulls a Wonder Woman.
>>
>>77782853
Oh yeah, and technically it happens in the Injustice comic, in Superman's elseworld dream.
>>
>>77782853
He becomes an awful character with no good stories?
>>
>>77782892
Not sure if TDKR counts.
>>
>>77780667
it's kinda funny to see how he struggles to fight 3 punk kids in the beggining but i love it.
One of my favorite batman runs
>>
The Return of Bruce Wayne is technically an origin story, I guess.
>>
>>77782908
Neck massage.
>>
>>77782948
I thought he paralyses him and Joker just broke his own neck to frame Batman
>>
>>77783073
Yeah Joker killed himself.

Bruce totally killed Dick in TDKSA though. So that counts.
>>
>>77783073
He did. http://youtu.be/dYuYsh48MK0
>>
>>77783073
I imagine that's why he wasn't sure if it counted
>>
>>77782908
and gets a bunch of fans who says that everyone else isnt a real fan
>>
>>77783021
From someone who's currently reading the Bat epic and just read the first 4 issues of RoBW tonight I have to say I have no idea what you're on about.
>>
>>77784120
Not the same anon, but what anon meant is that RoBW is the story of how Bruce escapes the Darkseid time death sentence. In it, you can see the full extent of the "death that is life" (cf Final Crisis term) which turns your entire life into something that will bring an early death to you (for instance, the Bat-shapes death sentence creates Simon Hurt in the 18th century so that Simon can pull the RIP events and try and kill Batman).

In RoBW, it is shown tht the bat which crashes into the window of wayne manor and gave Bruce the idea of becoming Batman was in fact the embodiment of the tracking Death that is Life trap, and thus Batman was created by Darkseid in order to kill Bruce. You'll have a glimpse of that on issue 6 if I remember correctly (havent read the bat epic in a long time)
>>
>>77782810
killing joke
>>
>>77784511
>people still think Batman killed the Joker in Killing Joke
We're only going to get more of you fags when the movie comes out aren't we
>>
>>77784551
>still pretending Alan Moore's writing has a shred of ambiguity about it
Batman killed Joker, V was right, Ozymandias was right, and any opinion to the contrary is not supported by the text
>>
>>77784404
Awesome man. Sounds like a cool concept. Can't wait to read that bit.
>>
The Comedian is the true hero of Watchmen

There, I fucking said it

Everybody else is either too much of a pussy to do anything or has an ego so fucking big that it puts Doc's blue benis to shame

Comedian did his job, fucked up, and retired
>>
File: Gotham_S1_OneSheet_Bruce_Wayne.jpg (2 MB, 2639x3900) Image search: [Google]
Gotham_S1_OneSheet_Bruce_Wayne.jpg
2 MB, 2639x3900
This is
>>
>>77781134
It's very good and works as a solid New 52 origin.

Ultimately Year One is the definitive Batman origin but Zero Year works as a cool over the top high tech modern take as well.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.