[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Supergirl Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
Why does everyone make a big deal of Jimmy being black but completely ignore Hank?
>>
>>77775603
The thing about Henshaw is he's literally not Superman, that's the entire point, so not even looking like him doesn't matter since it's the same result.
Jimmy however has an accepted look.
>>
He's living energy or something, who gives a shit what his flesh looked like?
>>
>>77775603

There's a bunch of reasons why I don't think anything like this is likely to actually happen, but imagine this for a moment:

In the comics, Hank didn't originally look anything like Superman; the organic parts of his body are literally just cloned chunks of meat which he has attached to the mechanical shell which his personality is uploaded into.

Imagine if the same thing were to happen to the TV version of him, where his consciousness is similarly uploaded into this shapeshifting mechanical shell and he gets his hands on the Kryptonian DNA necessary to grow a similarly-caucasian face. It seems like it would be a really uncomfortable presence for the villain, given the questions of personal identity which it presents, which could be really cool.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sure he'll just wind up looking like Agents of SHIELD's Deathlock where it just looks like the actor is wearing some plastic clothes and occasionally you'll see his eyes light up or something, but conceptually it's a neat idea.
>>
>>77775603
Because racism and overplayed /tv/ memes.

Black Jimmy is a fine character but people need things to bitch so they latch to what is easiest and noisiest to bitch about.
>>
>>77775603
Nobody cares about Hank in general and they aren't teasing Kara/Hank.
>>
File: Fantastic 4 - Michael B Jordan.jpg (183 KB, 749x1046) Image search: [Google]
Fantastic 4 - Michael B Jordan.jpg
183 KB, 749x1046
>>77775603
Does it matter? They'll see it anyway.
>>
If they had cast a white dude with the same general body type as black Jimmy, there would not be as much complaining. People are literally triggered by his skin color.
>>
>>77775603
It's more because Jimmy doesn't act nothing like Jimmy than him bein black, really
>>
>>77776177
I'd complain
Jimmy has to be a weak little ginger
i complained about the miscasting in the spider-man films where basically peter played harry and harry played peter
>>
>>77776177
Are you kidding? We where bitching when the first casting call went out asking for a "cool, salt of the earth alpha male." That was long before we knew a black guy was going to be him.
>>
>>77776213
What? James Franco would have made a terrible Peter
>>
>>77776213
the point is jimmy has grown out of that shit, he even says it himself in the show and you can see that. He's learned a fuckton in his time being superman's pal.
>>
>>77776267
The black guy playing Jimmy is doing a good job. Most people would have seen that and gone "well okay, it's a bit different from the norm but fine" like with most other cases where the character is not 1:1 identical to the comic version. Now they latch to Jimmy being black and make that being the entire issue.
>>
>>77776342
>Now they latch to Jimmy being black and make that being the entire issue.
Except that isn't the case, no matter how much you want it to be. He's a completely different person with jimmy olsens name. I don't understand whats so difficult to understand about this?
>>
>>77775603
don't give a fuck about jimmy being black, it's that he's so different from muh jimmy that they may as well make him a new character. He went from beta hipster to fucking alpha pack leader.

hank henshaw is a much less iconic character, though I'm disappointed they didn't do the fantastic four gets fucked origin. The defining thing for me with cyborg superman is that he wants to die and hates his existence.
>>
>>77776385
And what's so hard to understand that this Jimmy is older and wiser like >>77776331 said?
>>
>>77776439
It's fine if you make him older and wiser, but he has not a single characteristic of who jimmy olsen is. They should have just made him steel.
>>
>>77776331
not really, he doesn't have a penchant for tech stuff, isn't really into stylish things, and doesn't cross dress. Jimmy doesn't always have a lack of confidence, he's just a nerd, or a rich kid if you go by new 52.
>>
>>77776331
I would love to see a flashback with Black Jimmy in a bowtie marrying an ape or getting really fucking fat or something.
>>
>>77775603
Hank's not trying to fuck the young white female protagonist.
>>
>>77776484
Will never happen. It would ruin the alpha male image they're trying to build for him.
>>
>>77776493
Maybe he is and is just bad at it? Tough, older, authoritative figure against to two young women who lost their fathers at young ages, he knows the score but can't play the game.
>>
Anybody who has actually watched the show would know Jimmy is far from being an alpha male. He's a bit insecure, got dumped by Lucy Lane and that's why he partly moved out of Metropolis and when Cat left him in charge in a temporary supervisor position when she went out of town for an award ceremony for a day, he was having trouble handling it and had a small confidence crisis.
>>
>>77776629
Too bad we don't watch this because Gotham is an infinitely better Cape show
>>
>>77776457
Modern day Jimmy basically doesn't really have defining characteristics beyond nice guy who's bffs with Superman and usually doesn't have much luck with ladies
>>
>>77776662
>and usually doesn't have much luck with ladies
Better make him a ridiculously handsome alpha male then.
>>
>>77776385
>He's a completely different person with jimmy olsens name

He's a nice, supporting dude, who's friends with Superman. That's all you need for Jimmy.
>>
When Supergirl inevitably flops, they will pull the same Fant4stic shit about racism
>>
>>77776644
>Cape show
Listen /tv/ I know your brain can only handle so much deprecating meme vernacular per annual cycle, but a show like Gotham is more fiction drama than cape. There is very little "caping" going on in it.
>>
>>77776740
/co/ is already doing that. This very thread is ignoring any criticism and saying "it's because he's black".
>>
>>77776644
then maybe you should halt from shitposting about Supergirl
>>
File: 2015-11-04 12.37.43.png (930 KB, 515x1026) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-04 12.37.43.png
930 KB, 515x1026
>>77775603
James being black doesn't bother me, it's the fact that he's portrayed as a complete alpha with no silly quirks at all. They should have just made him Steel, because that character is not the Jimmy Olsen we know and are annoyed by.
>>
>>77776457
Might I remind you that in the comics Cat Grant isn't an alpha bitch CEO of a global multimedia conglomerate, Hank Henshaw is a white guy Kryptonian cyborg, Winslow Schott is a portly, garishly dressed middle-aged man who never had a kid, and Supergirl is a teenager?
>>
>>77776590
>Tough, older, authoritative figure against to two young women who lost their fathers at young ages, he knows the score but can't play the game.
You realise he's responsible for the death of one of their father figures right?
>>
because race swapping isn't the problem its supergirl getting blacked
>>
>>77776952
Even when he sets up the daddy issues he can't seal the deal.
>>
>>77775603
My deal is that when you make black characters white it's an outrage and offensive, (the last air bender). For some reason however, it's progressive the other way around and it's considered that the fans are wrong for being mad.
>>
>>77777185
Double standards, the white man dominated the world for most of human history, now we're supposed to feel bad about putting a few spear chuckers to work and recognize that we are evil because the world needs something to hate.
>>
>>77777185
minority characters usually have their ethnicity strongly tied to them since their conception, unlike with white characters who are almost race fluid due to how milktoast they are.
>>
>>77775603
CANCELED WHEN??
>>
>>77777185
Gingers are massively overrepresented in comic books; there are more gay people in the world than redheads.
>>
Cause he's a villain and less well known to be caught up in the "muh white pride" and "BLACKED XD" meme. Only ones that care if a villain is raceswapped comic book purist and they usually shut up about race and start judging their performance and how faithful they were to the comics.
>>
>>77775603
Dunno what you're talking about. I ignore this show's existence.
>>
>>77775603
Because let's face it, there's not going to a long game Death of Superman plot.
>>
>>77776037
To make it truly creepy? Make him Cyborg Supergirl, but with the original actor's voice.
>>
>>77777550
>it's just him in a Supergirl costume with some tin foil around one arm
>>
>>77776506
>got dumped by his hot as fuck ex that he went crawling back to
>alpha male image
>>
>>77776704
not really
>>
>>77776644

Gotham is hardly a super hero show, it's a detective drama.
>>
File: bilde.jpg (38 KB, 640x414) Image search: [Google]
bilde.jpg
38 KB, 640x414
I honestly don't mind when characters that nobody really cares about have a race change because even though I'm not a King of the Hill strawman who tries to "Force" diversity, I'm still okay with big budget flicks trying to appeal to the most people. But characters like Storm and Olson have iconic looks and shouldn't switch hard just for shits and giggles.
>>
>>77777777
>>
>>77776984
Which has been confirmed by the actor himself as highly unlikely.
>>
/co/ has been so focused on Black James that they completely ignored all the other shotty aspects of the show.
>>
>>77775603
1, because as a villain he loses his flesh and gains cloned Superman flesh

2, because no one has a problem with a black guy being evil.
>>
>>77776819
>Turns out this was some crazy body switching deal that happened before the show started, and we're introduced to Steel, played by the guy who played Jerome on Gotham.
>>
>>77776177
Yup found the idiot.
>>
Who really gives a shit about either one?
>>
>>77776213
How did you just entirely skip the part of Spider-man where Pete was attractive and charismatic and drowning in pussy? That's a pretty significant chunk of Spidey comics. Probably most of them.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.