[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think fans would have been more accepting of New 52 Superman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: saving-lois.jpg (281 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
saving-lois.jpg
281 KB, 1024x768
Do you think fans would have been more accepting of New 52 Superman if post-CoIE Supes had gotten a "Whatever Happened"-style sendoff?
>>
>>77764668
No.
>>
>>77764668
Nope
>>
Nah. People still would have been mad because it was a reboot.

But things that might have softened the blow:

>Not doing all that talk before it came out about him being "more alien" or whatever other bullshit that was, it was mostly untrue besides him being kind of a dick in that JL origin arc so I'm not sure why they did that

>Given him a better costume than the armor. Smallville and Earth-2 both had good ones that are superior to the main Lee one. I don't understand that decision at all.

But his books are still selling in the same range so it didn't do irreparable damage or anything. It hurt to lose all the history and shit but it's not like Flash where I'm still actively butthurt about what we lost.
>>
>>77764668
I would.
Easier than how blurry Nu52 continuity is.
>>
I think a big reason why that didn't happen is because DC hemmed and hawed so much about whether or not New 52 was a true reboot in that first year. Even when Superman's origin and early history were heavily retooled, DC editorial insisted that the broad strokes of the character were still the same.

Of course now we know differently, but by the time it became clear this was a whole new Superman, the appropriate time to tell an ending for 1986-2011 Superman had already come and gone.
>>
>>77764668
It really wouldn't have fucking mattered to me. Truth would still be shit regardless.

Just waiting for Superman to get his powers back again now.
>>
>>77764668
>accepting of New 52
Stopped reading.
>>
>>77764926
>the appropriate time to tell an ending for 1986-2011 Superman had already come and gone.

Part of why that Jurgens book feels so awkward now (also the fact that they're on Earth-0 for some reason among other things).
>>
You know what would have softened the blow?

If New 52 Superman wasn't complete shit.

>b-but muh Paktion

The Paktion run would be alright if it wasn't getting dragged into retarded events every couple months. The only New 52 Superman run that was good beginning-to-end was Geoff Johns' seven issues.
>>
>>77765211
I won't fully disagree since I think the first arc and the Smallville one were probably the best parts of the run and they were more normal Superman stories. But the only part of Paktion I actually had to check out on due to disinterest was Doomed.
>>
>>77764668
Does shit taste better if you get to have some creme brule beforehand?
>>
>>77765670
No, not really.

But hey, creme brule.
>>
>>77764668
It would have been a cheap knock-off copycat attempt for DC to attempt another "Whatever Happened" for Supes. Would not have had the same impact.
>>
>>77764668
No, not really, that's not the issue here.
>>
>>77765211
>New 52 Superman run that was good beginning-to-end
I disagree with you here - well beginning to end is always questionable but I disagree that Johns was of the same level of quality (whether you want to call it 'good,' 'great' or what have you) through the seven issues, but I'd call the Morrison Action run extremely good in large parts and, excepting the art issues, the best of the Superman runs post Flashpoint.
>>
>>77764668
Pic related.

Post post COIE Superman is a character within the new52 universe.
>>
>>77764668
As the DCnU was kind of rushed at the last minute, it does feel kinda odd how much shit was just dropped without any sort of sendoff. There were some writers who were able to bring things to a conclusion (BQM on Batgirl, Simone on Secret Six, arguably Cornell with Luthor in Action Comics), but so much other shit just went nowhere.

Like, Brightest Day felt like it was meant to build up to something. We had heroes who were presumably being resurrected to set them up for new stories in a brighter DCU that was rebuilding in the wake of Final Crisis and Blackest Night, we introduced a new Aqualad to coincide with the cartoon, etc.

Wonder Woman's last storyline was a fucking alternate-timeline story with biker Wondie. The kind of thing that's just temporary before things go back to normal. That's a bad time for a reboot.

Green Arrow, in between having Brightest Day nonsense forced into the comic by editorial, had an interesting storyline that tied back to his parents, and portrayed him as a modern Robin Hood coming into conflict with a private police force now employed by his company, led by his father's old mistress who believes Ollie failed the Queen legacy. That shit was good, but it NEVER FINISHED. Bam, reboot replaced it with Green Arrow fighting the cast of Jersey Shore.

I think DC should had taken a bit more time to plan the reboot. Even after the reboot started, so many plotlines were dropped and changed (really feels like Trinity War was originally supposed to be a Daemonite story).
>>
>>77768345
>Like, Brightest Day felt like it was meant to build up to something.
>We'll never know what was going on with Firestorm and the Anti-Monitor
It hurts
>>
what would happen if superman landed in russia instead of america?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.