[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what did /co/ think about pic related (and the following books)?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: 51n7cXe2ShL.jpg (33 KB, 323x500) Image search: [Google]
51n7cXe2ShL.jpg
33 KB, 323x500
So what did /co/ think about pic related (and the following books)?
Apologies for shit quality, it's the only pic of the cover i could find.
>>
>>77761413
I love them. I even scanned most of the comics. Google "mishalover pastebin" to get the scans.
>>
>>77761595
Also don't forget to read "Explorer" the spiritual successor of Flight.
>>
>>77761620
I did. They were great, but nowhere near as good as Flight.
It's a shame there were only 3 Explorer books, though.
>>
>>77761413
i loved at the time but cannot remember a single story now
>>
>>77761413
Is it a comic? Can you post more about it?
>>
>>77761771
It's an 8-book series of comic anthologies, edited by Kazu Kibuishi (author/artist of Amulet). Some stories are goofy, others are serious, and the genres range from mystery to western to fantasy to sci-fi to drama. Some are 20 pages, others are only 1 page. And some stories start in one volume and carry over to the other volumes. In the first book, all the stories centered around the concept of flight, but they ditched that for future books.

It's a really great and varied read, but the books are really damn expensive (about $25 each from Amazon if you're murican).

Or, like >>77761595 said, the scans are at http://pastebin.com/zFt3ff0q.
>>
File: Flight Comic 8.png (368 KB, 750x511) Image search: [Google]
Flight Comic 8.png
368 KB, 750x511
I only have 3 volumes, but already 10/10.

This is what comics should be. No superhero crap, but unlimited imagination.
>>
File: CU8OZAO.jpg (209 KB, 600x916) Image search: [Google]
CU8OZAO.jpg
209 KB, 600x916
I read these in the library back in high school, and was mostly thrilled by pic related, "On the Importance of Space Travel" by Svetlana Chmakova. Really inspired me to pick up more graphic novels like this, as well as learning to draw and plot stories. Too bad the author's other works (especially the ones after it) are literal shit compared to it.
>>
Oh man, I loved these, but I only ever read the first three or four volumes. How many are they up to now?
>>
>>77763937
Eight

Then they moved on to make Explorer

Never read any of the Explorer series
>>
File: 1410123572830.gif (2 MB, 316x213) Image search: [Google]
1410123572830.gif
2 MB, 316x213
they were... alright. In all honestly most of the collected comics were eitherkind of bland, or too vague, tried to do too much, or were way too up their own asses being artsy, but these guys were comic upstarts so I can't judge them too harshly.

That said I only remember being blown away by maybe one or two particular comics out of like six or seven of the collections, which is pretty fucking bad. Though the only comic I remember being completely shit was that one furry thing with the foxes and no dialogue, which was horrendously pretentious and shit and they just kept having him/her start continue their story and then put it as the first comic in the book, yeesh.

but yeah, a solid 6/10, okay read, nothing special.
>>
>>77761413
1 was okay.
2 was mediocre.
3 was like listening to a baby cry for hours, but knowing that you can't get shush him since you're doing sleep training.

After Works was the better anthology.
>>
>>77761595
Dunno if you're still lurking, man, but did you ever get around to scanning the first volume?
>>
>>77763784
This story is fantastic. A few others that I remember really liking:
-The one with the prisoner and the rat
-The guy seeing a cute girl on a bicycle
-A robot that was friends with a swallow
-A young fisherman's son who was in love with a girl and wanted to be in a play with her.
-One or two with some stupid blob things that made really bad puns all the time.
>>
>>77764683
I never did read the second one you mentioned about the bike. Can you recall the title or volume it was in?
>>
>>77761859
Mega says all the files have been removed, am I just garbage at internet?
>>
>>77764800
When a filesharing site destroys a link, it's forever.
>>
>>77765876
Shame, I was hoping it was just something with my browser or region since others insinuated it was working. Also it would have been cool to read those without spending twenty each
>>
>>77766223
Buy them, you will keep them in your collection forever.
>>
"On the Importance of Space Travel" by Svetlana Chmakova was the only comic that I really liked in Flight 3 and Flight 5 which I own. Many other comics felt more like storyboards. Or it felt like they were taken from the middle of a larger piece of work instead of telling a self-contained story.
>>
>>77767494

I'm >>77763784. I feel the same way in that it was the most simple to understand and remember out of all the entries. The art was stylish yet simple, the story was straightforward, and the characters/messages were easy to understand. It's such a shame that the artist never makes anything as good as this (I tried picking up Dramacon after this, but I hated the fuck out of it). I have trouble remembering the other entries, maybe I should reread those volumes again.
>>
Island is better.
>>
>>77761595
You should update your links.
>>
>>77761413
A letdown. I remember getting excited due to the amazing cover art of OP's volume, the contents were just...mediocre. Didn't bother reading the other volumes.
>>
I remember it being one of the reasons I decided to get into writing comics.

Yeah a lot of the stories were bland or forgettable. But there was a sense of freedom and unbound imagination to it that hit me at just the right time in my life to make an impact.
>>
>>77761413
It's an anthology series so the quality varies quite a bit. Overall it's pretty good.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.